Do you think Ryse could be redeemed as franchise

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Salt_The_Fries (8288 posts) -

Hello,

I didn't play Ryse, I don't have pre-conceived notions, but I know more or less what to expect, and about its potential strenghts and weaknesses.

However, there is one huge factor why the game became what it is - it was developed solely for Kinect by a Hungarian Crytek studio before it eventually shut down two years ago, and the Kinect was meant to be the sole input method. That's most likely why when it was salvaged by the main Crytek studio, they didn't have time to build the game from the ground-up.That's my theory, but I think it's plausible. I'm not defending the game btw, I'd only risk picking it up at some bargain bin price in the range of 20-30 bucks and I'm not getting an X1 for at least 7 months.

Anyway, lot of reviews indicated untapped potential, and today I saw two Polish reviews (I live in Poland) of it (and Poland is a Sony land, you can even sense a journalistic bias), one of them gave it 6.5/10 and the other 4/5, and they were written by journalists I know from some console magazines about PlayStation like 13 years ago..

Anyway do you think if Ryse 2 happened, could it be now more fleshed-out game than Ryse? With more sophisticated combat system and more freedom for exploration instead of tight spaces, most likely left-overs from Kinect-based version? Could Ryse do a Killzone?

By the way, if a lot of people are turn off by scores, I think the digital version's price should be soon drastically lowered to the point everyone should be tempted to buy it, that's the only way to ensure the sequel, right?

#2 Edited by danabo (2474 posts) -

"Could Ryse do a Killzone?" :S

Could Ryse become a mediocre franchise? Well, it already has one bad game, so yes.

#3 Posted by Salt_The_Fries (8288 posts) -

Haha, I thought of it like that but I meant the transition from KZ1 to KZ2, not the process of becoming stale after that.

#4 Posted by GrenadeLauncher (3711 posts) -

Hahahahahahahhaha

God, I hope not.

#5 Posted by uninspiredcup (7638 posts) -

Nope. I suspect the main reason Microsoft wanted this from from Crytek was simply as a showy tech demo.

#6 Edited by ronvalencia (15109 posts) -
#7 Posted by Desmonic (13180 posts) -

Despite having pretty good graphics, they should change to a studio more a home with hack & slash type of games. Ninja Theory is an option (though not necessarily a great one), I'm sure there are more even within MS's first party studios.

#8 Posted by Sweenix (5396 posts) -

No lol

#9 Edited by zeeshanhaider (2356 posts) -

Yup, definitely. I think you could sell pretty much any $hit to consololites as long as it's well advertised. I mean look at how much Heavy Rain and Beyond has sold. Consololites love onrails interactive experiences.

#10 Posted by dommeus (9192 posts) -

Any franchise can be redeemed. Even Metal Gear Solid

#11 Posted by k2theswiss (16598 posts) -

it looks like a cool game, SO with some gameplay changes SURE.

#12 Edited by k2theswiss (16598 posts) -

@Desmonic said:

Despite having pretty good graphics, they should change to a studio more a home with hack & slash type of games. Ninja Theory is an option (though not necessarily a great one), I'm sure there are more even within MS's first party studios.

fuck that hack n slash shit, go more of a dark souls route

#13 Posted by Desmonic (13180 posts) -

@Desmonic said:

It wouldn't fit the series I think. Does it have beasts/monsters/gods/whatever? If yes, then maybe they could make it work. Otherwise it just wouldn't fit at all really.

#14 Posted by k2theswiss (16598 posts) -

@Desmonic said:

@k2theswiss said:

@Desmonic said:

It wouldn't fit the series I think. Does it have beasts/monsters/gods/whatever? If yes, then maybe they could make it work. Otherwise it just wouldn't fit at all really.

just because it don't have monsters/gods it can still take on the combat. killing 50 guys would be far more enjoyable

#15 Edited by Desmonic (13180 posts) -

@Desmonic said:

@k2theswiss said:

@Desmonic said:

just because it don't have monsters/gods it can still take on the combat. killing 50 guys would be far more enjoyable

But Dark Souls works because you're not fighting human/equals (for the most part). Having a random barbarian soldier kill you some 10/20 times in a row while you get the hang of it would be lame :P At least if it's a skeleton, beast or whatever you just kinda accept it easier. They could however adopt similar combat mechanics, not so much the difficulty. We'll see. It'll be at the very least a full year before we hear anything about a sequel for this.

#16 Posted by edidili (3446 posts) -

Only if they fire the guy that was in charge of gameplay design.

There is potential, especially in the MP gladiator arena part but gameplay needs some serious revamping.

#17 Posted by StormyJoe (4759 posts) -

@Salt_The_Fries:

I liked Ryse. But, I do see why it got bad reviews. I think with some effort, it could be an AA franchise.

#18 Posted by Heirren (16291 posts) -

I do, and I don't even own an xbox. I get the feeling Ryse was a title that had the launch title status set in stone. It doesn't even look as bad, gameplay wise, as most people say, imo. The production is there. You have to give credit to MS for pushing a new ip on a new console at launch.

#19 Posted by Heil68 (43258 posts) -

They game was doomed from the get go first being developed for Kinect(lol)

Ryse:Son of Knack

lmao

#20 Posted by BeardMaster (1580 posts) -

Ryse is done for. I was rootin for it because its nice to see franchises succeed that arent just more pew pew shooters. And if the game spent a little more time in the oven and wasnt rushed for launch, they probably coulda tuned the gameplay and offered a solid game.

But as it stands, the Ryse name is too tarnished, if they release a Ryse 2 the name would turn people off more than it would encourage them to buy it, so simply from a marketing perspective... its not gonna happen. Although that said
I hope crytek does start moving away from making crappy shooters and tries their hand at other crappy games. Maybe an RPG, its very easy to get away with shit gameplay in an RPG... hell if Ryse was an RPG its gameplay would be pretty damn good.

#21 Posted by chikenfriedrice (9706 posts) -

I would like to see another Ryse....if they can improve on the combat a bit and make it more varied they will have a winner. Everything else is there, the graphics, acting, story.

#22 Posted by Masculus (2823 posts) -

Put varierity in it and health does of Chivalry, and I can see it becoming a great franchise.