Do you think of Microsoft as a gaming company?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45084 Posts

When I think of Nintendo, I think of gaming company. When I think of Sony, I think electronics, but gaming at heart. When I think of MS, I think of Windows/software and oh yea, we have a gaming division. But I don't see gaming as their main focus or even a really important factor in their business. To me, X1 is just a way for MS to push their ecosystem into our homes. What do you think, SW? Do you think MS has gamers at heart?

kuu2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 kuu2
Member since 2005 • 12061 Posts

Easy, they are a software and services company. Gaming is a cute hobby that MSoft uses to bring in new users into their ecosystem. My kids really only know MSoft environments.

Kaze_no_Mirai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Kaze_no_Mirai
Member since 2004 • 11763 Posts

No. Sony and Microsoft both as electronics companies with gaming divisions. Nintendo is the only gaming company. I wouldnt even say Sony is a gaming company at its heart.

Its not like thats a bad thing though...

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#4 Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts

It's not their main focus. They aren't nearly as profitable off of it as Sony and Microsoft, and their introduction of XBLG was how they made money in gaming for so long, hated as it may be.

Who cares what one thinks, they've funded a lot of games we might not have otherwise and they made Sony, and Nintendo to an extent, get off their asses which was so good for the rest of us.

soulitane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By soulitane
Member since 2010 • 15091 Posts

Nope, much like I don't think of Sony as a gaming company. For gaming to be at their heart, all their other departments would need to be centered around gaming. That's not the case though, hence they're not a gaming company.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

@SolidGame_basic said:

Do you think MS has gamers at heart?

what does that even mean?

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#7 WitIsWisdom
Member since 2007 • 9543 Posts

No... not MS by itself. The Xbox branding seems like a company all it's own just like PlayStation. In fact I wouldn't be surprised if they are in due time.

FoxbatAlpha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 FoxbatAlpha
Member since 2009 • 10669 Posts

They have things straight at Microsoft. The are a software company and Xbox is something like a side project. The greatest side project know to modern business.

The opposite can be said about their competitor, Sony. The Playstation division keeps the other divisions afloat while it dies slowly as a whole.

Avatar image for GrenadeLauncher
GrenadeLauncher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 GrenadeLauncher
Member since 2004 • 6843 Posts

Without the Xbone debacle, I wouldn't have cared about them. As it is, I'll probably crack open the champagne when MS announces they won't make another console.

GhoX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#10 GhoX
Member since 2006 • 6267 Posts

I don't see Microsoft or Sony as gaming companies. Gaming is simply not the focus of those companies. Nintendo is a gaming company through and through, since gaming is all they do.

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 WilliamRLBaker
Member since 2006 • 28915 Posts

Nintendo is the only gaming company out of the big three.

Avatar image for TrappedInABox91
TrappedInABox91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12 TrappedInABox91
Member since 2013 • 1483 Posts

Sony and Microsoft have their hands into a lot of things other than gaming. So you can't say thats what their all about ect. The only one that does that is Nintendo for the most part.

Avatar image for princeofshapeir
princeofshapeir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#13  Edited By princeofshapeir
Member since 2006 • 16652 Posts
@SolidGame_basic said:

When I think of Sony, I think electronics, but gaming at heart.

If you're serious about that it just confirms your bias. Sony's always been a pure electronics company that also has a gaming division. It's the same with Microsoft: software company with a lot of other divisions, gaming division among them. Nintendo's the only dedicated gaming company of the three.

None of this means anything though. Sony and Microsoft's gaming divisions are better managed than Nintendo.

inb4uall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 inb4uall
Member since 2012 • 6564 Posts

When I think Nintendo I think gaming.

When I think Microsoft a like profitable mega corporation.

When I think Sony I think long painful decline eventually ending in bankruptcy.

demacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By demacabre
Member since 2015 • 361 Posts

Kind of off topic. As much as I like Sony for consoles this gen, I am not a fan of them for some movies... namely the last Spider-Man movie. I am kind of indifferent to their other consumer hardware. Last Gen I didn't touch the ps3 and got an 360 as a gift. With Microsoft, my work makes me an Apple person in the office but at my home I rock a PC with Windows 7. I dabbled with 8... and reinstalled 7. I hear 8.1 did some good things and I'll wait to hear the exit reviews for 10 before taking the plunge. I am hoping they learned a lot of lessons with the initial launch of 8.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#16 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

@princeofshapeir said:
@SolidGame_basic said:

If you're serious about that it just confirms your bias. Sony's always been a pure electronics company that also has a gaming division. It's the same with Microsoft: software company with a lot of other divisions, gaming division among them. Nintendo's the only dedicated gaming company of the three.

None of this means anything though. Sony and Microsoft's gaming divisions are better managed than Nintendo.

Not really (assuming you mean from a business perspective). None of them makes as much money, or runs a ship as tight as Nintendo's.

In terms of games lineup? Sure, nothing objective there, and it's down to preference.

lordlors

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 lordlors
Member since 2004 • 6128 Posts

@charizard1605 said:
@princeofshapeir said:
@SolidGame_basic said:

Not really (assuming you mean from a business perspective). None of them makes as much money, or runs a ship as tight as Nintendo's.

In terms of games lineup? Sure, nothing objective there, and it's down to preference.

Nintendo seems to be stuck in the past though. At least Sony knows the world outside of Japan (indie games and user content creation). It's laughable that Nintendo releases Mario Maker which should have been done ages ago. They also don't own Western studios aside from Retro unlike Sony, SEGA, and Square-Enix. Nintendo on its own is pretty impressive but it's not competent enough when it comes to the global stage.

onesiphorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#18 onesiphorus  Online
Member since 2014 • 5245 Posts

No. Gaming is not its sole market as there are such things as Windows operating systems and other software.

Salt_The_Fries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Salt_The_Fries
Member since 2008 • 12480 Posts

@Kaze_no_Mirai: Precisement

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#20 Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

Software company primarily.

delta3074

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 delta3074
Member since 2007 • 20003 Posts

Nintendo is the only Gaming company, it's all they do and have been doing it since the !st gen, SONY and Microsoft are Technologies companies that just happen to have Gaming divisions.

delta3074

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By delta3074
Member since 2007 • 20003 Posts

@lordlors said:
@charizard1605 said:
@princeofshapeir said:
@SolidGame_basic said:

Nintendo seems to be stuck in the past though. At least Sony knows the world outside of Japan (indie games and user content creation). It's laughable that Nintendo releases Mario Maker which should have been done ages ago. They also don't own Western studios aside from Retro unlike Sony, SEGA, and Square-Enix. Nintendo on its own is pretty impressive but it's not competent enough when it comes to the global stage.

Yet the dominate the handhled markets with more 3DS sold than both the Xbone, Ps4 and Wii-U combined, saying they are not competent on the global stage when it was said that 1 out of 4 homes has a DS is very shortsighted, people need to stop thinking about the games market in Terms of Consoles only and look at the bigger picture.

killerfist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#23  Edited By killerfist
Member since 2005 • 20155 Posts

No

When I think of MS, I think of software.

When I think of Sony, I think of electronics (hardware).

When I think of Nintendo, I think of games.

playharderfool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 playharderfool
Member since 2009 • 2085 Posts

hmm

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#25 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38032 Posts

@lostrib said:
@SolidGame_basic said:

Do you think MS has gamers at heart?

what does that even mean?

Right? More fanboy romanticizing of whether a fuckin corporation cares for you. None of them do.

clone01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 clone01
Member since 2003 • 29824 Posts

No. The only solely focused gaming company of those 3 is Nintendo. Sony and MS are companies that have a gaming division.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22372 Posts

@Kaze_no_Mirai said:

No. Sony and Microsoft both as electronics companies with gaming divisions. Nintendo is the only gaming company. I wouldnt even say Sony is a gaming company at its heart.

Its not like thats a bad thing though...

Yeah this.

thr1llh0us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By thr1llh0us
Member since 2007 • 130 Posts

@FoxbatAlpha said:

Sony. The Playstation division keeps the other divisions afloat while it dies slowly as a whole.

-God-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 -God-
Member since 2004 • 3627 Posts

hell no.

aroxx_ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 aroxx_ab
Member since 2005 • 13236 Posts

When i think of Nintendo i think of Mario, when i think of Microsoft i think of Windows

Toph_Girl250

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Toph_Girl250
Member since 2008 • 48978 Posts

Not really, Microsoft I don't think has gaming in their hearts, provided that Microsoft has any heart at all.

I find Microsoft just a dirty computer/internet corporation, with their main goal to steamroller the world with internet connection.

Malta_1980

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Malta_1980
Member since 2008 • 11890 Posts

They released their 3rd console system so yeah they are also a gaming company..

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

When i think of MS i think of a humongus brick that comes with the system (even in 2013...), lies and call of duty kids. So my answer is i dunno.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44038 Posts

When I think MS I think Windows and a huge SW company that jumped into the VG HW market just to be a thorn in Sony's side. :P