Do you think No Man's Sky would have been received better if....

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c0b07b32bf03
deactivated-5c0b07b32bf03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 deactivated-5c0b07b32bf03
Member since 2014 • 6005 Posts

....Sean Murray had simply kept his mouth shut? Seriously, this has to be the most vocally damned game in a very long time. I mean, it does have a community (at least on the PS4--I don't know about PC), and is not overall a bad game. It definitely has a cult classic kind of feel to it that will probably grow as improvements are made. But I digress. Bottom line, if Sean hadn't talked so much, how different do you think the reception would have been? I ask because it seems like people who hate the game do so specifically on account of the promises (or the approximation of promises) that were not delivered on. What do you think, SW?

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46201 Posts

If they didn't overhype this, it would just turn out to be some random indie game nobody would give a crap about.

So how could it have been received more positively, if the big sites didn't care about this, if barely anyone cared about this.

Sean murray overhyped his game, and the big media outlets were all too happy to go along with it.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50547 Posts

Was overhyped and price tag me thinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 deactivated-5c0b07b32bf03

@R4gn4r0k said:

If they didn't overhype this, it would just turn out to be some random indie game nobody would give a crap about.

So how could it have been received more positively, if the big sites didn't care about this, if barely anyone cared about this.

Sean murray overhyped his game, and the big media outlets were all too happy to go along with it.

@Chutebox said:

It was definitely preposterously overhyped. The price should have been $20-30 on top of that. I think it could have flourished as a quirky indie game that appeals to a select crowd. But, alas, it was blown the hell up.

Howmakewood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Howmakewood
Member since 2015 • 7701 Posts

well it wouldn't have gone worse at least, so there's that and ye 60$

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 R4gn4r0k

@reduc_ab_ said:
@R4gn4r0k said:

@Chutebox said:

It was definitely preposterously overhyped. The price should have been $20-30 on top of that. I think it could have flourished as a quirky indie game that appeals to a select crowd. But, alas, it was blown the hell up.

It kind of is what it is.

Developers overhyped this game > Sony overhyped this game > gaming media overhyped this game > we got to know about it > we bought it > found out it was a turd.

You remove any of these factors, and it won't end up the same result.

Honestly, the more I look into this game, it should've come with a pricetag of 5-10 dollars tops. It just has such a huge lack of content. Some indie games in alpha stages, or in early access have way more content than this game.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts

No, it would have been better if they never partnered with Sony. Sony set that game up to fail and then threw the developer under the bus in a really shitty way

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#8  Edited By Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

Do you think No Man's Sky would have been received better if.... it didn't suck so badly.

Yes. Yes I do.

/thread

-Byshop

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#9 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38032 Posts

@R4gn4r0k said:

If Sony had never jumped on it being a major thing at their presser's and Murray had stayed quiet, it would've been a $24.99 game and may have been received better.

But that isn't how the world of money works. They hyped it so they could charge full price for a piece of boredom and make millions. But thank god the consumer public made a big enough thing so they had to refund many.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By R4gn4r0k

@cainetao11: Yeah, you make a good point:

They could charge 60 because there was so much want for this game. Heck, there was even a limited edition, more expensive than 60 and people still bought it.

If it never got the hype from Sean, Sony or the media outlets, nobody would even care for this game. There wouldn't be so much want. And perhaps they couldn't even charge 25.

gago-gago

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By gago-gago
Member since 2009 • 12138 Posts

I saw that thread about the hacked Twitter message saying NMS was a mistake but it was locked. I thought it was a good thread to discuss how the game was so bad that a hacker put an effort in hacking the Twitter account and spread the message. Why was that thread even locked.

Anyway, haven't followed this game at all, so did they add anything new and patch stuff up yet? Anything to make the game better if that's even possible.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 deactivated-5c0b07b32bf03

@Byshop said:

Do you think No Man's Sky would have been received better if.... it didn't suck so badly.

Yes. Yes I do.

/thread

-Byshop

I take it you're not the get-lost-in-the-cosmos-and-look-at-red-or-maybe-purple-trees type.

Avatar image for deactivated-583c85dc33d18
deactivated-583c85dc33d18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 deactivated-583c85dc33d18
Member since 2016 • 1619 Posts

If Sony/Sean Murray hadn't continuously hyped up this game I reckon that it would have been forgotten along with most other indie open-ended/space/exploration/procedurally generated/crafting games.

Seriously, there's a ton of games like that. No Man's Sky was a bad game that got noticed by Sony, and became overhyped. That's all.

Bishop1310

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Bishop1310
Member since 2007 • 1274 Posts
@R4gn4r0k said:

couldn't agree with this more.

blueinheaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#15 blueinheaven
Member since 2008 • 5554 Posts

You should be asking would the reception be different if Murray hadn't lied. Nothing do with overhyping although the hype was definitely disproportionate to what was incoming, just plain misrepresentation.

You can't get away with that shit when your every move is monitored on the internet. He was brazen. Then they blocked ALL reviews so people had to buy it blind (based on all his lies).

Yeah, I can see why people are pissed off. I hope for his sake he made a lot of money because nothing in the future with Hello Games or his name on it will sell for shit.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#16 Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

@reduc_ab_ said:
@Byshop said:

Yes. Yes I do.

/thread

-Byshop

I take it you're not the get-lost-in-the-cosmos-and-look-at-red-or-maybe-purple-trees type.

I was being a tad hyperbolic. I've actually put over 20 hours into the game but in the end it wasn't terribly satisfying and I just sort of stopped. I'm a big fan of space exploration games in general, and the idea of the game is very appealing. In some ways it's like Elite Dangerous but even better because it's teaming with life and stuff to interact with, but in the end it's just a bunch of randomly placed "cut and paste" elements over and over again. I don't feel like the game majorly over-promised on its premise, but I was seriously annoyed at how coy Sean Murray had been about what the game would and wouldn't do. To call what this game has "multiplayer" is a joke, though. They should have just been upfront about it being a single player game.

-Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By deactivated-5c0b07b32bf03

@Byshop said:
@reduc_ab_ said:
@Byshop said:

Yes. Yes I do.

/thread

-Byshop

I was being a tad hyperbolic. I've actually put over 20 hours into the game but in the end it wasn't terribly satisfying and I just sort of stopped. I'm a big fan of space exploration games in general, and the idea of the game is very appealing. In some ways it's like Elite Dangerous but even better because it's teaming with life and stuff to interact with, but in the end it's just a bunch of randomly placed "cut and paste" elements over and over again. I don't feel like the game majorly over-promised on its premise, but I was seriously annoyed at how coy Sean Murray had been about what the game would and wouldn't do. To call what this game has "multiplayer" is a joke, though. They should have just been upfront about it being a single player game.

-Byshop

No doubt, they should have been transparent from the start. I agree about the coyness, too. Over time it went from slightly annoying to downright obnoxious in retrospect.

darkangel115

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 darkangel115
Member since 2013 • 4562 Posts

if it was a 30 dollar steam early access game nobody would have minded, but it wasn't, and it should have been

wolverine4262

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 wolverine4262
Member since 2004 • 20832 Posts

Sony inflated its importance by making it out to be a tentpole game.

Avatar image for harry_james_pot
harry_james_pot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#20 harry_james_pot  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 11414 Posts

Even if we ignore all the things that were promised and weren't included, it's still a terrible game.
I love exploration games, but having the entire game world being as a randomly generated environments with no real narrative or substance and expecting that to be interesting is completely absurd IMO. That combined with the ridiculously boring and repetitive gameplay cycle made it an awful experience. Especially with the $60 price tag..
If Sean hadn't lied about what's in the game I think the reception still would've been bad, just a bit delayed. Instead of everyone immediately noticing all the missing content, they would've just noticed how utterly boring the game is after a few days.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#21 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61473 Posts

... If it was an actual game with an objective? Probably. That ending is the most hilarious slap in the face to consumers ive ever seen.