Do you think MS paid Team Ninja off when Xbox came out?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

me2002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 me2002
Member since 2002 • 3058 Posts

It was never official but I think they did some exclusive deal

Team ninja used to make games for all system but when Xbox came out in 2001 suddenly they started developing exclusively for Xbox, DOA3, DOA Ultimate, DOAX, Ninja Gaiden, Ninja Gaiden Black, DOA4(360), DOAX2(360), until 2007(I think deal came off or partnership broke up), then they started making games for all systems again.

It didn't make sense because Team Ninja was a Japanese company and not only did Xbox sold like shit in Japan but everywhere else compared to PS2.

Also I think MS paid SEGA for games like Panzer Dragoon Otar, JSRF and Otogi.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

Probably? Who really cares at this point

lawlessx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 lawlessx
Member since 2004 • 48753 Posts

and if they did...so what?

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#4 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14411 Posts

Who gives a ****? And that's just another way for a company to get exclusive games for their console. Sony does it all the time.

FinalFighters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 FinalFighters
Member since 2013 • 3410 Posts

whats with all these back to the future threads?

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#6 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44503 Posts

Ms does it they're evil scum, if Sony does it then it's because they love gamers and "thank you Sony".

SakusEnvoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By SakusEnvoy
Member since 2009 • 4764 Posts

I think it had more to be do with Itagaki. He rose to Team Ninja leader in 2001, and for whatever reason, preferred working exclusively with Xbox hardware - probably because it was more powerful. Ninja Gaiden Sigma was made without his input and he resigned shortly after making Ninja Gaiden II (again, as an Xbox 360 exclusive at the time).

darkangel115

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 darkangel115
Member since 2013 • 4562 Posts

@me2002 said:

It was never official but I think they did some exclusive deal

Team ninja used to make games for all system but when Xbox came out in 2001 suddenly they started developing exclusively for Xbox, DOA3, DOA Ultimate, DOAX, Ninja Gaiden, Ninja Gaiden Black, DOA4(360), DOAX2(360), until 2007(I think deal came off or partnership broke up), then they started making games for all systems again.

It didn't make sense because Team Ninja was a Japanese company and not only did Xbox sold like shit in Japan but everywhere else compared to PS2.

Also I think MS paid SEGA for games like Panzer Dragoon Otar, JSRF and Otogi.

Yes they did. when the OG xbox came out, they made deals so they would have japanese games. back then japanese games were dominating the market. I think the deal went south after the main guy from team ninja left and the company went downhill. which is why NG2 and 3 weren't as good as 1

darkangel115

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By darkangel115
Member since 2013 • 4562 Posts
@speedfreak48t5p said:

Who gives a ****? And that's just another way for a company to get exclusive games for their console. Sony does it all the time.

The first time i remember this being done was when Sony paid Rockstar for GTA3 to be exclusive to the PS2 after it was announced to be on every system at E3.

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10 Renegade_Fury
Member since 2003 • 21695 Posts

I remember Itagaki said it had to do with wanting to work with the most powerful console. Of course, there was probably more to it (money), but yeah, Team Ninja was very pro Xbox then.

ProtossX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 ProtossX
Member since 2005 • 2880 Posts

Sony money hatted FF7 from Nintendo behind closed doors.

Nintendo was making FF7 for N64 and showed off a engine for them

Sony then came in and help finance the game and paid for advertising for it, then square said n64 held it back and trashed on nintendo after the paid deal it was disgusting and thats the same crap that sony is still doing now

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 13636 Posts

@lamprey263 said:

Ms does it they're evil scum, if Sony does it then it's because they love gamers and "thank you Sony".

-

It was a good thing it was. The PS2 was weak, NG wouldn't have been as good. It was making use of all the Xbox's features like HDD install and the better hardware. It's not like the current gen where the difference is resolution.

At least it was on unknown games that wasn't a thing at the time like NG. Sony taking a game like SF5 away from people is an asshole move. TR was only timed, no one is getting deprived.

And "Sony funding it" is a dumb excuse. Capcom would have easily found financial help for a game like that if they reached out. The truth is, Sony didn't just fund the game, they paid them off.

I'd have always gotten it for the PC, but damn man, still can't believe the did that.

Avatar image for deactivated-58abb194ab6fb
deactivated-58abb194ab6fb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 deactivated-58abb194ab6fb
Member since 2010 • 3984 Posts

And if they did, so what? Sony paid for exclusive rights to games long before MS even thought about making a gaming console so what's the point to this?

kinectthedots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 kinectthedots
Member since 2013 • 3383 Posts

@lostrib said:

Probably? Who really cares at this point

Take out the last 3 words and that was my indented post. /

MS pays for deals...Sony pays for deals, yes and even nintendo pays for deals....big deal! Since you haven't made an follow up argument to go with your hunch there really isn't much to discuss here TC.

lawlessx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 lawlessx

@HalcyonScarlet said:

@lamprey263 said:

-

It was a good thing it was. The PS2 was weak, NG wouldn't have been as good. It was making use of all the Xbox's features like HDD install and the better hardware. It's not like the current gen where the difference is resolution.

At least it was on unknown games that wasn't a thing at the time like NG. Sony taking a game like SF5 away from people is an asshole move. TR was only timed, no one is getting deprived.

And "Sony funding it" is a dumb excuse. Capcom would have easily found financial help for a game like that if they reached out. The truth is, Sony didn't just fund the game, they paid them off.

I'd have always gotten it for the PC, but damn man, still can't believe the did that.

capcom needing sony to help "fund" SF5 is a pretty good PR spin.

Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts

........................... This is nothing new or interesting.. This is common practice within any industry in garnering titles to increase appeal for the platform you own.. How people are suddenly coming to this realization now is facepalm worthy.. Of course companies are fucking paying devs to make their games exclusives or even timed exclusives.. Or with exclusive dlc.. This is nothing new, or corrupt, this is called business..

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By deactivated-59d151f079814

@HalcyonScarlet said:

@lamprey263 said:

-

Guys making this out like this is some kind of scandal or corruption.. Pretty hilarious.. Companies in all industries do this kind of promotional deal all the time..

Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Bread_or_Decide
Member since 2007 • 29761 Posts

Companies make exclusive deals all the time. It's called..THE REAL WORLD.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By deactivated-59d151f079814

@Bread_or_Decide said:

Companies make exclusive deals all the time. It's called..THE REAL WORLD.

You take that back you corrupt SoB!

Legend002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

#20 Legend002
Member since 2007 • 13405 Posts

That dude with the leather jacket just came off as a guy that didn't like PlayStation to me. Once he left everything went multiplat so I doubt Tecmo Koei had any sort of deals.

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#21  Edited By GarGx1
Member since 2011 • 10934 Posts

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 13636 Posts

@sSubZerOo said:

@HalcyonScarlet said:

@lamprey263 said:

-

Guys making this out like this is some kind of scandal or corruption.. Pretty hilarious.. Companies in all industries do this kind of promotional deal all the time..

I'm not trying to say it's a scandal or corruption, only that people complain about it being done on unknown games series like NG or for timed exclusives like the next TR game, but when Sony does it permanently to a game that everyone wants, that's ok?

lawlessx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 lawlessx

@HalcyonScarlet said:

@sSubZerOo said:

@HalcyonScarlet said:

@lamprey263 said:

-

I'm not trying to say it's a scandal or corruption, only that people complain about it being done on unknown games series like NG or for timed exclusives like the next TR game, but when Sony does it permanently to a game that everyone wants, that's ok?

yup..pretty much the way it works

Avatar image for deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
deactivated-5cd08b1605da1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#24 deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
Member since 2012 • 9317 Posts

MS wanted to gain some japanese market so its no wonder they had some exclusive deals with japanese developers. They even tried again at the beggining of the 360 life but since they never had any success in japan they've probably gave up at this point. Scalebound is the only japanese developed game I see coming exclusive for them

Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#25  Edited By Gue1
Member since 2004 • 12171 Posts

MS and Itagaki were really close, like Kojima with Sony, till NG2 came out. The game was supposed to be like a second coming for the hack & slash genre but it was actually a step back from the original, a large step back. Then Tecmo did not want to pay some overdue bonus to Itagaki and he left. After he left Team Ninja started developing for all consoles and not just Xbox.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
deactivated-5e90a3763ea91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#26 deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
Member since 2008 • 9437 Posts

One company I've noticed that is kind of picky-choosy whenever they release games exclusively is Capcom.

On the Gamecube they had Resident Evil 4 and Viewtiful Joe. They eventually ported both games to the PS2.

On the PS2 they had Okami. They eventually ported Okami to the Wii, and made a sequel on the DS.

On the XBox 360 they had games like Dead Rising and Lost Planet, which they ported or made sequels for on other platforms.

I don't know if it's unfair. Somehow, it makes sense, on some weird level.

NyaDC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#27 NyaDC
Member since 2014 • 8006 Posts

Wasn't Dead or Alive 2 exclusive to the Dreamcast in its time of relevance? Sega must have paid them off...

Avatar image for deactivated-57d8401f17c55
deactivated-57d8401f17c55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#28 deactivated-57d8401f17c55
Member since 2012 • 7221 Posts

@Renegade_Fury said:

I remember Itagaki said it had to do with wanting to work with the most powerful console. Of course, there was probably more to it (money), but yeah, Team Ninja was very pro Xbox then.

Yeah he was impressed with the dev kits. Though in some ways gamecube had an edge and was competitive to Xbox in power.

But then games wouldn't have sold as much on the cube and much as I like the controller it's not the best for complex hack and slash games. Xbox was definitely the right platform for Team ninja.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

Ofcourse they did.... do you even have to ask..... it should be noted that while Tomonobu Itagaki was still there he wanted his games to be more successfull in the west.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 deactivated-59d151f079814

@Ovirew said:

One company I've noticed that is kind of picky-choosy whenever they release games exclusively is Capcom.

On the Gamecube they had Resident Evil 4 and Viewtiful Joe. They eventually ported both games to the PS2.

On the PS2 they had Okami. They eventually ported Okami to the Wii, and made a sequel on the DS.

On the XBox 360 they had games like Dead Rising and Lost Planet, which they ported or made sequels for on other platforms.

I don't know if it's unfair. Somehow, it makes sense, on some weird level.

Capcom had a huge falling out with Sony during PS2 era in which the lead designers asked Sony for help in understanding their technology.. Sony basically was not very responsive or supportive, so the lead Resident Evil designers said **** you and began developing on the Nintendo.. Capcom higher ups than caved in and made the lead developers out to be a fool with making a port of RE4 to PS2 later on.. They had a falling out and they lost large portion of the staff that did the Resident Evil games and Devil May Cry games due to this.

BobRossPerm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By BobRossPerm
Member since 2015 • 2886 Posts

Erm yeah? So? It's exclusivity deals, they happen. Just like Final Fantasy and Sony. It's just one of those things.

starwolf474

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 starwolf474
Member since 2013 • 989 Posts

They probably did, but why does it matter? Is this another one of those Microsoft is evil because they pay for exclusives (but when Sony does the same exact thing it is ok) threads?