Do you think Microsoft will continue their free games with Gold service on X1?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by DrRockso87 (2511 posts) -

Do you think they'll continue it onto Xbox One? If they do, do you think they'll allow you to download games even when you don't currently own an Xbox One to build up your library (I know Sony allows this with PS4)? Because that would be pretty cool.

#2 Posted by FoxbatAlpha (6133 posts) -

Do you think they'll continue it onto Xbox One? If they do, do you think they'll allow you to download games even when you don't currently own an Xbox One to build up your library (I know Sony allows this with PS4)? Because that would be pretty cool.

DrRockso87
Without getting too involved and going into a deep story..................Yes.
#3 Posted by R3FURBISHED (10316 posts) -
It will probably go away for a while, but will return within a couple years.
#4 Posted by blackace (20238 posts) -

DrRockso87

How do you download games without owning the system? :roll: Where would you download a PS4 game if you don't have a PS4? :lol:

Anyway, to answer your question. Yes they will probably continue the FREE Games program. It probably won't happen on XBox One immediately however, as the system is just getting started. Sometime next year though. It will probably continue on the XBox 360 too. They need to pick better games though. Giving us a 6 year old game is ridiculous.

#5 Posted by R3FURBISHED (10316 posts) -

Giving us a 6 year old game is ridiculous.

blackace

They're free games. How can complain about games Microsoft is just giving out?

even though they have been older titles none have been bad games.
When Microsoft starts giving out games like Bomberman: Act Zero then we can complain 

#6 Posted by Chutebox (36576 posts) -

Honestly, if they keep offering the type of games they have been offering, who cares?

#7 Posted by freedomfreak (39100 posts) -
Isn't it just a promotion for this year only?
#8 Posted by blackace (20238 posts) -

[QUOTE="blackace"]

R3FURBISHED

When Microsoft starts giving out games like Bomberman: Act Zero then we can complain 

Because is it's something that's been out forever, chances are pretty good that gamers have already played it to death or just aren't interested in it at all. I'd rather have FREE games that are no more then a couple years old. So far the only game I've downloaded were Dead Rising 2 & Case Zero. Everything else I've either owned for 3-4yrs or would never play whether it was free or not.

#9 Posted by Chutebox (36576 posts) -
Isn't it just a promotion for this year only?freedomfreak
Until X1 releases.
#10 Posted by freedomfreak (39100 posts) -
[QUOTE="freedomfreak"]Isn't it just a promotion for this year only?Chutebox
Until X1 releases.

Hey! One doesn't release until 2014 over here, so that means I'll be getting that promotion until then :o Right, MS? Right? .. :(
#11 Posted by BeardMaster (1580 posts) -

[QUOTE="DrRockso87"]

blackace

How do you download games without owning the system? :roll: Where would you download a PS4 game if you don't have a PS4? :lol:

Anyway, to answer your question. Yes they will probably continue the FREE Games program. It probably won't happen on XBox One immediately however, as the system is just getting started. Sometime next year though. It will probably continue on the XBox 360 too. They need to pick better games though. Giving us a 6 year old game is ridiculous.

Well you can buy the license. I know for alot of the games they have been giving out, since i already own them on disc. I just buy the license and dont download the game so i have the license tied to my account in case i ever lose or damage my disc.

#12 Posted by timbers_WSU (5753 posts) -

Probably but Microsoft needs to advertise it more. Defense Grid and one of those Might and Magic games has been free for a while and I never even knew it. Rainbow Six Vegas is also free starting next week, not that anyone would want it.

#13 Posted by carlisledavid79 (10503 posts) -
Yes I think they should. no doubt there's been a few people resubbing gold for this promotion alone. Hopefully something similar if not the same makes it across to XB1
#14 Posted by ShadowDeathX (10575 posts) -
No. Better question though; do you think Sony will continue their Instant Library promotion after they get enough cows to pay to play for online?
#15 Posted by UnbiasedPoster (735 posts) -

> Microsoft

> Something positive

Choose one.

#16 Posted by Basinboy (11048 posts) -

As a recurring promotion, maybe.  MS needs to address their value dilemma for XBL Gold because PS+ wipes its @$$ with Gold vouchers.

#17 Posted by edidili (3446 posts) -

No. Better question though; do you think Sony will continue their Instant Library promotion after they get enough cows to pay to play for online?ShadowDeathX

What would be the point? All these free games are not really free for Sony, it is costing them. They're doing it now to create good publicity for PS4 and is working, for example there was no uproar for the sub. Because of that people now think PSN is better, forgetting that it took ages to catch up to live feature wise and all the instability problems it had. 

Good strategy that is working right when PS4 is going to come out but I doubt they'll keep on going with that unless they want to go in the red. 

#18 Posted by RR360DD (11598 posts) -
Its not really needed. We're already getting the superior infrastructure, the dedicated servers, the Xbox rewards program, even small things like vastly superior voice chat - and all for $60 a year :cool:
#19 Posted by Senor_Kami (8327 posts) -
[QUOTE="ShadowDeathX"]No. Better question though; do you think Sony will continue their Instant Library promotion after they get enough cows to pay to play for online?

No, or rather they'll change it from free AAA games to free demos and indie titles. IGC was the selling point for PS+ on PS3/Vita. On PS4, online multiplayer is the main selling point and everything else is bonus content. Indie titles and demos with save points are more than enough of a bonus in Sony's eyes.
#20 Posted by shellcase86 (1934 posts) -

Doubtful. I don't see Microsoft doing this for an extended time until Sony sells significantly more units than them later next year.

#21 Posted by vpacalypse (548 posts) -

[QUOTE="blackace"]

R3FURBISHED

I think that's a weak argument. The point is that the playstation offers better titles compared with xbox atm. This is where people should draw the comparison from really.

#22 Posted by Slashkice (13046 posts) -

They already said it's going away by year's end.

#23 Posted by MoneySha (22 posts) -
[QUOTE="DrRockso87"]

FoxbatAlpha
Without getting too involved and going into a deep story..................Yes.

Yea, like, 5 or 6 months before Xbox Two...!!!
#24 Posted by MoneySha (22 posts) -

Probably but Microsoft needs to advertise it more. Defense Grid and one of those Might and Magic games has been free for a while and I never even knew it. Rainbow Six Vegas is also free starting next week, not that anyone would want it.

timbers_WSU
I'm still trying to figure out the whole purpose of "free with XBL"... I mean, it's not at all like Steam or PSN; Plus, they're giving away games that are SO freakin old; they might as well be free... It's like someone giving you a pair of old, used, dirty, socks and saying, "Here... just because I like you so much, you can have these for free." ;) It's insulting really... :(
#25 Posted by tdkmillsy (1274 posts) -
Lets get real here, neither console is going to give away anything it can make money out off. Its a new generation and there are no old games it can give away for free. It will be low end indie games or extended demo's at best.
#26 Posted by tdkmillsy (1274 posts) -
[QUOTE="timbers_WSU"]

MoneySha
I'm still trying to figure out the whole purpose of "free with XBL"... I mean, it's not at all like Steam or PSN; Plus, they're giving away games that are SO freakin old; they might as well be free... It's like someone giving you a pair of old, used, dirty, socks and saying, "Here... just because I like you so much, you can have these for free." ;) It's insulting really... :(

At least they are actually giving free stuff. PSN+ games are free until you stop paying and then you lose them all. DriveSh1t is only free until sometime in 2014, if you have payed for upgrade you will lose the game.
#27 Posted by xhawk27 (7229 posts) -

Sony is in the Games Rental Business! :cool:

#28 Posted by starwolf474 (548 posts) -

As a recurring promotion, maybe.  MS needs to address their value dilemma for XBL Gold because PS+ wipes its @$$ with Gold vouchers.

Basinboy
The value in Xbox Live Gold comes from getting by far the best online service, which Microsoft always delivers. I've been subscribed to Xbox Live Gold for 8 years now and have never at any point felt I wasn't getting my money's worth. I personally don't really care if Microsoft continues with the free games or not because I prefer physical media over digital downloads, so if I like a game, I would rather buy it on disc even if I could get it for free digitally. I care even less about Playstation Plus Instant Collection because that is just a glorified rental service. I have no interest in renting games; I like to own my games.
#29 Posted by navyguy21 (12744 posts) -
They would be stupid not to since Sony will be with PS4, and PS3 blew XBL away in terms of value for your money. Lets hope the current offering has been anemic because they are saving them for XB1