Do you think games are really worth $60?...are most games worth full price?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#51 Posted by lamprey263 (24954 posts) -
if someone is really dying to play something right when it comes out then $60 is what they'll have to pay, but if one has patience they need only wait a few weeks and most games drop to $40 at some point, hell sometimes even $30, again in just a matter of weeks, either for good or through timed sales at different retailers, but only the best selling games usually stay up in price longer or first party games and those you might just have to pay whatever they're asking because who knows when those reduce in price
#52 Posted by Chris_Williams (14882 posts) -

i don't pay 60 for games anymore, so nope

#53 Posted by ShadowDeathX (10720 posts) -
If I can get at least 20 hours of full enjoyment off the game, yes it is. Or...if the game is really really good. Sure. If not, I'll wait for a price drop which happens super fast. On PC, you get specials even before the game has been released.
#54 Posted by faizan_faizan (7868 posts) -
[QUOTE="ShadowDeathX"]If I can get at least 20 hours of full enjoyment off the game, yes it is. Or...if the game is really really good. Sure. If not, I'll wait for a price drop which happens super fast. On PC, you get specials even before the game has been released.

Steam is the word ;)
#55 Posted by UCF_Knight (6863 posts) -
Well the best game on the PS3 was 15 bucks at release, so 60 is definitely way too much for PS3 games. I'd gladly pay even more for 360, Wii, and PC games though.
#56 Posted by UCF_Knight (6863 posts) -
[QUOTE="TheDidact"]Only 360, Wii U, and PC games are.faizan_faizan
PC games don't cost $60 they cost less.

Guild Wars 2? :P
#57 Posted by TheDidact (3986 posts) -
[QUOTE="faizan_faizan"][QUOTE="TheDidact"]Only 360, Wii U, and PC games are.UCF_Knight

Diablo 3 :P
#58 Posted by faizan_faizan (7868 posts) -
[QUOTE="faizan_faizan"][QUOTE="TheDidact"]Only 360, Wii U, and PC games are.UCF_Knight

Its an exclusive........
#59 Posted by jdc6305 (3967 posts) -

$60 for a 5-8 hour game aint worth it to me. I rarely buy new games. I wait for price drops and complete editions. If I paid full price for every game I want to play and every dlc I'd be broke. The last game I paid full price for was Dark Souls and it was worth every penny.

#60 Posted by crimsonman1245 (4253 posts) -

I would rather have my mind blown for 6 hours than play a medicore game for 100 hours.

#61 Posted by HarlockJC (25546 posts) -
It's a hard call. Even though a game may not look like it cost a lot to make does not mean it didn't. Seeing has how the value of the Dollar is going down games are still cheaper than they were in the NES period when they were $75 each.
#62 Posted by MFDOOM1983 (8458 posts) -
[QUOTE="faizan_faizan"][QUOTE="UCF_Knight"][QUOTE="faizan_faizan"] PC games don't cost $60 they cost less.

Its an exclusive........

There are plenty of big budget $60 pc games these days(bioshock infinite, sim city, dead space 3, company of heroes 2, metro last light, cryisis 3 etc.), but it's easier to pre-order them for $30-$35 thanks to sites like greenmangaming.
#63 Posted by Pittfan666 (8534 posts) -
My max spending is at forty bucks. Anything above that is too much.
#64 Posted by Pug-Nasty (8508 posts) -

Most games aren't worth the plastic they are printed on. There are only a few games that have been worth $60 this gen.

A few of them:

* MGS IV

* COD 4

* RS: V

* Oblivion

#65 Posted by Killzonage (397 posts) -
To me, no. Unless I REALLY REALLY want the game, I usually just wait. 60 bucks per game adds up, fast.
#66 Posted by Nuck81 (5905 posts) -
I almost always wait for a price drop. Most games go on sale a month or so after release somewhere. You just have to be on the lookout
#67 Posted by Michael0134567 (28651 posts) -

Games not available on Sony systems are.

#68 Posted by platniumgamer (3960 posts) -

Only 360, Wii U, and PC games are.TheDidact

This and...

Michael0134567

This

#70 Posted by parkurtommo (27570 posts) -

Unlike console peasants that do not look for retail sales, the master race is never troubled by such inferior systems. We buy our games for prices painfully close to free.

On a serious note, I believe games like AC, RDR, Skyrim, GTA, and Far Cry 3 are worthy of their full price, the ones with insane amounts of content (AC is starting to lose that though) and large worlds to explore.

#71 Posted by GamerwillzPS (8531 posts) -

Mostly no. The games have to be very good to worth the full price, in my opinion. But I don't buy games from day 1 anymore. Good things come to those who wait. Issues would be ironed out and the price will drop. It serves you better if you wait.

Just Cause 2 and Far Cry 3 are the ones that I'll be happy to pay $60 for. They're huge open world games that I could invest more than 20 hours into.

PC games are cheaper, so I'll never have to pay above £30 ever again. I purchased Far Cry 3 for £21.24 from Steam with -39% discount. You jelly? :cool:

#72 Posted by mitu123 (154589 posts) -

[QUOTE="TheDidact"]Only 360, Wii U, and PC games are.faizan_faizan

Actually some are 60 bucks.

#73 Posted by ShadowDeathX (10720 posts) -
[QUOTE="faizan_faizan"][QUOTE="ShadowDeathX"]If I can get at least 20 hours of full enjoyment off the game, yes it is. Or...if the game is really really good. Sure. If not, I'll wait for a price drop which happens super fast. On PC, you get specials even before the game has been released.

Steam is the word ;)

Not really. I prefer other sites over Steam. I only use Steam if it's cheaper than the rest (which rarely happens now a days) or the other site sucks like uPlay and it's limited download policy.
#74 Posted by SonyNintendoFan (527 posts) -

Mostly no. The games have to be very good to worth the full price, in my opinion. But I don't buy games from day 1 anymore. Good things come to those who wait. Issues would be ironed out and the price will drop. It serves you better if you wait.

Just Cause 2 and Far Cry 3 are the ones that I'll be happy to pay $60 for. They're huge open world games that I could invest more than 20 hours into.

PC games are cheaper, so I'll never have to pay above £30 ever again. I purchased Far Cry 3 for £21.24 from Steam with -39% discount. You jelly? :cool:

GamerwillzPS
How much is that in US dollars?
#75 Posted by 2_Quiet_2_Riot (724 posts) -

360 games aren't worth a penny, unless you enjoy being extorted. Even at Silver, your still getting robbed from your own right to play the MP portion of that game. :lol:

#76 Posted by GamerwillzPS (8531 posts) -

[QUOTE="GamerwillzPS"]

SonyNintendoFan

How much is that in US dollars?

£21.24 = $34.49.

#77 Posted by GhoX (5217 posts) -

What's full price? Don't games always come paired with a percentage number next to it?:|

#78 Posted by Rocker6 (13358 posts) -

Most games aren't, they simply pack too little content to justify such high price tag. Play once, off to the shelf, no way I'm paying full price for that...

Good thing I know of a good store, though, where I can often get even the latest releases for rather cheap...

#79 Posted by SaltyMeatballs (25158 posts) -
For the most part no, so a game has to really interest me to consider buying for full price. On PC though I can always get good deals at launch, about £25 as opposed to the normal £40 console game.
#80 Posted by Kiro0 (1175 posts) -

Not a lot of games currently. So many are 8 hour single-player experiences that rely on you playing multiplayer to actually get anything out of them. Sometimes I can't put off waiting because it's a game I'm really excited for, but typically 30 dollars for the average AAA title feels about right for me.

#81 Posted by PSP107 (12131 posts) -
Way ahead of you TC. This gen sucked big time. I started this gen in 2008 and havent paid full price for a game.
#82 Posted by Thefatness16 (4672 posts) -

I don't even like paying for games past the 20 dollar price point. I guess 40$ would be an alright starting point.

#83 Posted by BPoole96 (22811 posts) -
The only games I will willingly pay $60 for are the Souls games and games made by Bethesda since I know they will be worth it. Aside from those I will not spend more than $40 on a game, which isn't too bad considering I got Borderlands 2 for $40 Day 1 and I have metro Last Light preordered for $40 as well. I might make an exception for BioShock Infinite since that looks great.
#84 Posted by delta3074 (18666 posts) -

I'm curious as to how much people actually spend on games. Me personally I rarely ever buy games on day 1, I always get them new (never used) but I wait until they drop down in price a bit, unless it's something really great like Uncharted, COD, or Skyrim (though I will probably skip MW4). Most games are not worth $60, they either lack the content or quality to justify the purchase, which is why I'm waiting to get Max Payne 3.

What do you think? I will check back on this thread later.

ShadowMoses900
WRPG's and JRPG's you do,definitly, i jut look at it froma QUID/Hr Ratio Skyrim=200 Hours divided by 40 quid, 20 pence an hour, excellent value Halo 4=6 hours Divided by 40 quid, about 6.50 an hour, not good so games like that i blast through 2-3 times in about a week then trade them in for Max trade in towards a new game.
#85 Posted by Spellingiscool (1450 posts) -
Console games aren't worth $20, let alone $60.
#86 Posted by Clock-w0rk (3378 posts) -

I'd say only a select few are worth it, but the majority? not even close.

Games I'd gladly pay full price for:

• MGS4
  • UC2
  • COD4
  • LBP
  • Demons Souls
  • Bioshock
#87 Posted by Djmaster214 (3239 posts) -

I'd say only a select few are worth it, but the majority? not even close.

Games I'd gladly pay full price for:

• MGS4
  • UC2
  • COD4
  • LBP
  • Demons Souls
  • Bioshock
Clock-w0rk
exactly my picks though i could throw in some others! i usually get mine used and pay like 20 dollars. or if i wait i can get great games for under ten dollars i dont know if its been brought up but why is digital games the same price of physical copies? shouldnt they be atleast 10 dollars cheaper?
#88 Posted by Lucky_Krystal (1390 posts) -

Some are, some aren't.

#89 Posted by Goyoshi12 (9687 posts) -

[QUOTE="ShadowMoses900"]

I'm curious as to how much people actually spend on games. Me personally I rarely ever buy games on day 1, I always get them new (never used) but I wait until they drop down in price a bit, unless it's something really great like Uncharted, COD, or Skyrim (though I will probably skip MW4). Most games are not worth $60, they either lack the content or quality to justify the purchase, which is why I'm waiting to get Max Payne 3.

What do you think? I will check back on this thread later.

delta3074

WRPG's and JRPG's you do,definitly, i jut look at it froma QUID/Hr Ratio Skyrim=200 Hours divided by 40 quid, 20 pence an hour, excellent value Halo 4=6 hours Divided by 40 quid, about 6.50 an hour, not good so games like that i blast through 2-3 times in about a week then trade them in for Max trade in towards a new game.

Yeah but games like Halo have multiplayer as well which helps counter balance the pricing range. Not to mention the different level difficulties as well and downloadable content such as the Spartan Ops.

#90 Posted by k2theswiss (16599 posts) -
some are...
#91 Posted by Whiteblade999 (5549 posts) -

No, I rarely buy games at $50 so why would I buy them at $60? The only time I actually spring for $50 or more is a sequel to a game I really want (Deus Ex: Human Revolution) and/or is a multiplayer game I'm bound to get a lot of hours out of (Guild Wars 2).

#92 Posted by AmazonTreeBoa (16745 posts) -
All gen I have only paid $60 once for a game. I bought Black Ops 2 for my oldest kid for Christmas and paid $60. I normally wait till they drop to $20 and I buy used a lot to save even more. This is for consoles. For PC, I normally only buy games during sales. Most of my PC games were $10 or less.
#93 Posted by AmazonTreeBoa (16745 posts) -
Especially next-gen when the consoles will find a way to kill used games.1080pOnly
That will only manage to kill consoles altogether for me. I seriously see me only gaming on PC next gen.
#94 Posted by PressXtoJump (1484 posts) -

Michael0134567
:lol: what a loser
#95 Posted by faizan_faizan (7868 posts) -
[QUOTE="1080pOnly"]Especially next-gen when the consoles will find a way to kill used games.AmazonTreeBoa
That will only manage to kill consoles altogether for me. I seriously see me only gaming on PC next gen.

Exactly, After seeing and knowing that Nex Gen Consoles won't be as beastly as they used to be i will definitely upgrade my GPU after a long....long time.
#96 Posted by Michael0134567 (28651 posts) -
[QUOTE="Michael0134567"]

PressXtoJump

Did I get you all butthurt?
#97 Posted by SoNin360 (5629 posts) -
I almost never pay full price... I'll either wait and buy it cheaper new, or pay less for used, assuming it's not an Online Pass game. Oh and I also rent games I know I'll be spending a more limited time with.
#98 Posted by PressXtoJump (1484 posts) -
[QUOTE="Michael0134567"][QUOTE="PressXtoJump"][QUOTE="Michael0134567"]

:lol: sitting around and replying like a frog tongue what a loser :lol:
#99 Posted by Michael0134567 (28651 posts) -
[QUOTE="Michael0134567"][QUOTE="PressXtoJump"] :lol: what a loserPressXtoJump

:lol: sitting around and replying like a frog tongue what a loser :lol:

Yup, you're really butthurt. Need some cream or something?
#100 Posted by jg4xchamp (49480 posts) -
All games aren't equal. So as far as I'm concerned all games aren't worth their price of admission. Depends on the game, the quality of that game, and other stuff like feature sets and replayability. Even then you need to also take into consideration alternatives.