Do you sympathize with people who pirate games if..

• 176 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Posted by mrintro (1354 posts) 9 months, 20 days ago

Poll: Do you sympathize with people who pirate games if.. (137 votes)

yea 42%
no 58%

they really don't have money?

When I was kid/teenager, friends would hook me up with some games. Now that I am older and have income, I always buy my own games. In fact, I get annoyed with people who can purchase it but don't.

#101 Edited by AznbkdX (3209 posts) -

Hell no. Stealing sucks and you should feel bad, especially if you have the money to own the console.

I was expecting the argument of pirating a game that has never come out in a certain country. Honestly feel that is not right as well.

Pirating can grow the video game economy, but the practice is still iffy to me even if games are rare or have never come out in country of choice.

#102 Posted by Ratchet_Fan8 (5550 posts) -

i never play games on PC so i dont have a choice.I've being a consolite since PSone and i buy them (through parents money atm) and play games from friends.

However;

everything on the computer.music, android market apps,b00ks , videos/movies (that are outside of netflix) i dont really put much thought into.

#103 Posted by JangoWuzHere (16439 posts) -

No excuse, There are hundreds of games on the market that are cheap and affordable. Not everyone needs to purchase a game day one at $60. If you are desperate, then you can always sell your older games for more cash.

#104 Posted by JangoWuzHere (16439 posts) -

@MlauTheDaft:

The only game piracy that I understand is for older games. The games that are 8+ years old and aren't being sold by any sort of publisher. The only way to buy those older games legally would be to pay some guy on ebay $90 for it. That whole thing is a bunch of crap.

#105 Posted by Sword-Demon (6970 posts) -

Unless you're pirating games that are no longer in production or are otherwise unobtainable, No. Not having enough money to buy something is no excuse to steal it.

If you don't have any money, despite working your ass off, because you have a family to take care of or something, then I could maybe understand; but I'd imagine people like that are in the extreme minority.

#106 Posted by illmatic8582 (674 posts) -

You guys are idiots lol. When I was 15 I had no job, and had to help pay for my own school with a work study job that lowered tuition. I had a modded PS1 and got every game for free. Then I turned 18 got a better job and bought a ps2 and many games. I bought a ps3 and many games. A vita annnnnnnddd wait for it, a PS4!!! I don't feel bad at all I pirated, some of my best gaming memories came from that illegal PS1. And now Sony has a fan that has been supporting them for over 15 years.

#107 Posted by Yrkoon99 (456 posts) -

i bought rogue galaxy over a year ago and my ps2 screwed up finally so i had to rip my ps2 discs into a iso and use a ps2 emulator to play the game i bought... while some one else could of just got the emulator and the iso and played the game, thats up to them i do not care what other people do with the hardware they have available, heck i have been moderated a lot here in the past for simply saying that i have a psp that runs custom firmware and emulators for snes and mega drive and ps1 games etc i also have a psp with normal firmware on it for psn....

mentioned nothing illegal at all but they class modded psp as illegal activities.....

if people cant afford or obtain rare games that is up to them they can do what the want with their hardware, so leave them to it and let them play games :)

#108 Posted by jer_1 (7451 posts) -

Sure, I give no damn for anyone that pirates a game that can't afford it. Just about like the music industry salaries for these corporations have been only going up since torrents have went absolutely rampant. Not bothered by file sharing at all personally.

#109 Posted by killatwill15 (845 posts) -

I don't pirate but I definitely download games that either got lost or stolen

same goes for cds,

but there have been exceptions,

I must have bought duke nukem 3d and alice in chains unplugged 5x each now

#110 Edited by foxhound_fox (88411 posts) -

Nothing is lost if the person couldn't afford the game in the first place (if there is no potential for a sale, then no sale can be "lost"). If anything, playing the game could make them more likely to buy it in the future when they do have money.

@hoyalawya said:

@edwardecl said:

Copying a game isn't stealing by the way.

Wrong. It is stealing. You are appropriating someone else's right to earn income without explicit permission from the rightful owner.

It isn't stealing. It's copyright infringement. Theft implies a loss. There is no loss with piracy when there is no intention to buy.

Conflating theft and copyright infringement is ignorant. They are two different crimes and this is recognized by the legal system.

#111 Posted by millerlight89 (18547 posts) -

@killatwill15 said:

You pirate, idc, but don't try and dance around it to make yourself feel better

#112 Edited by killatwill15 (845 posts) -

@millerlight89 said:

@killatwill15 said:

You pirate, idc, but don't try and dance around it to make yourself feel better

I don't pirate,

but go ahead and give yourself a hand,

right across the mouth

#113 Posted by jg4xchamp (48156 posts) -

Sympathize? no

Give a shit? also no. Who cares how someone gets/plays their games? It does not effect my happiness one way or another. Besides anyone who pirates Mother 3 is a good person, because

A: it's the only way to play that game if you don't live in Japan
B: That game is fantastic.

#114 Edited by killatwill15 (845 posts) -

@jg4xchamp said:

Sympathize? no

Give a shit? also no. Who cares how someone gets/plays their games? It does not effect my happiness one way or another. Besides anyone who pirates Mother 3 is a good person, because

I would buy that game twice if it was localized,

1 for me,

and 1 for the church,

cuz that shit is godly brah

#115 Edited by da_illest101 (7485 posts) -

Nope, but I don't care either way since it's not like they were going to buy it regardless. Plus I'm not exactly the most honest person when it comes to that.

#116 Posted by mrintro (1354 posts) -

@illmatic8582 said:

You guys are idiots lol. When I was 15 I had no job, and had to help pay for my own school with a work study job that lowered tuition. I had a modded PS1 and got every game for free. Then I turned 18 got a better job and bought a ps2 and many games. I bought a ps3 and many games. A vita annnnnnnddd wait for it, a PS4!!! I don't feel bad at all I pirated, some of my best gaming memories came from that illegal PS1. And now Sony has a fan that has been supporting them for over 15 years.

I'm surprised I'm not seeing more people like you in this thread lol

#117 Posted by Lucianu (9427 posts) -

I don't care, i don't mind them, neither do i sympathize with them regardless of their circumstances.

I will sympathize with people that do illegal shit to survive and live on, even help them if given the choice for sure. But why the fuck should i sympathize with people that steal video games? Lol.

#118 Edited by -ParaNormaN- (822 posts) -

When it comes to games, I usually go out of my way to buy them. Alien Hominid for the GBA cost me around 40 since it is only sold in the UK and only 2 sellers shipped to the U.S., and I didn't have a job at the time. Pirates are one of the reasons that companies are leaning more on the selling to console scene rather than PC. So, I don't sympathize for them because they're only doing themselves and the companies harm. Don't be surprised if the majority of games are sold on consoles in the future, or is that already happening?

#119 Edited by Rage010101 (5470 posts) -

No! Either beg your mom, or get a damm job so that you can buy your games you bums!

#120 Posted by Korvus (3840 posts) -

I'm on the fence with this one. On one hand games aren't first necessity, so there's no excuse for pirating. On the other hand, if you pirate because you can't afford it, you're not preventing others from buying the game (as in, you're not stealing a copy from a store) and you wouldn't buy the game anyway, so while still not excusable, who cares?

#121 Posted by bobbetybob (19276 posts) -
@YearoftheSnake5 said:

@Bigboi500 said:

No. If you have money to buy the hardware, then you're not too poor to pay for the games.

This.

I can understand, though, if the game was never released in that user's region or is out of print and difficult to find.

Yeah if it's an old game unavailable anywhere else or something like an NES game where you'd be buying it second hand anyway I think it's fine.

But it's easier than ever to get games for cheap, there's loads of F2P games available and with something like PS+ you can get a bunch of games for the price of a single new one (admittedly that requires a strong internet connection with unlimited/lots of data)

#122 Edited by HalcyonScarlet (4435 posts) -

@jer_1 said:

Sure, I give no damn for anyone that pirates a game that can't afford it. Just about like the music industry salaries for these corporations have been only going up since torrents have went absolutely rampant. Not bothered by file sharing at all personally.

When it comes to music, the majority of artists are from smaller labels and independent labels. And those are the guys who have the harder time. It's not like the old days when you have a handful of big record labels that run everything. The vast majority of people aren't associated with them.

Some say, 'why should I care, the record labels just give the artists bad deals and take all the money'. That's not even the case any more, deals are individual. Only manufactured pop bands get used and abused. The talented teams [of artists and producers] don't have to take crap deals and be forced to become something they weren't.

People that make these excuses to justify not buying music are uninformed. You like a song, what's the harm in throwing a quid or less down on iTunes?

#123 Posted by heretrix (37382 posts) -

If you can't afford gaming then it's time to get a cheaper hobby. I can't afford to do track day events in a Ferrari, that doesn't mean it's okay to steal one to do so.

#124 Posted by mrintro (1354 posts) -

@heretrix said:

If you can't afford gaming then it's time to get a cheaper hobby. I can't afford to do track day events in a Ferrari, that doesn't mean it's okay to steal one to do so.

so illegally downloading a game is on par with stealing a ferrari?

#125 Posted by heretrix (37382 posts) -

@mrintro said:

@heretrix said:

so illegally downloading a game is on par with stealing a ferrari?

Sure if you are a moron and are incapable of understanding that not everything has to be taken literally.

#126 Posted by JML897 (33125 posts) -

I don't really buy the "I don't have the money" argument for PC gamers. There are so many good free games on PC or games that cost like $1 on Steam, GOG, Humble Bundles, etc. Just admit that you pirate because you don't want to spend the money. You can afford good games for a buck.

#127 Posted by mrintro (1354 posts) -

@heretrix: so should someone serve 20 years for petty larceny?

#128 Posted by Bigboi500 (29950 posts) -

You don't have to be loaded to enjoy gaming. You can enjoy tons of games that are on sale months after release. A school boy on an allowance can afford to buy games, just not on day one all the time.

There's absolutely no reason to steal games when so many of them are dirt cheap in no time. There are sales almost all the time too.

#129 Posted by uninspiredcup (8672 posts) -

No. Self entitled little kids doing it because they can. We have reviews, demo's, word of mouth. The option to simply not buy it exists. To steal it and then sit and play it for 20 hours and claim "oh it's a bad game". What fucking planet are you on?

#130 Edited by heretrix (37382 posts) -

@mrintro said:

I thought I was pretty clear on what I meant about taking it literally.. Not paying for something because you cannot afford it is not a good reason for the act, no matter the scale.

#131 Edited by jer_1 (7451 posts) -

@HalcyonScarlet said:

@jer_1 said:

When it comes to music, the majority of artists are from smaller labels and independent labels. And those are the guys who have the harder time. It's not like the old days when you have a handful of big record labels that run everything. The vast majority of people aren't associated with them.

Some say, 'why should I care, the record labels just give the artists bad deals and take all the money'. That's not even the case any more, deals are individual. Only manufactured pop bands get used and abused. The talented teams [of artists and producers] don't have to take crap deals and be forced to become something they weren't.

People that make these excuses to justify not buying music are uninformed. You like a song, what's the harm in throwing a quid or less down on iTunes?

You realize that major record labels are making more money with piracy happening than they ever did in the past? The record companies are the ones to blame here, not some kid/person that took a copy of some random bands song. The record labels are simply using this as an excuse to fuck over any and all bands, typical corporate tactics.

#132 Edited by Puckhog04 (22606 posts) -

No, you need to find a different hobby if you have zero to very little income. Get a better job. Do not pirate games.

#133 Posted by WitIsWisdom (3786 posts) -

Sad to see the YES numbers as high as they are. Games are like anything else... if you don't have the money to buy it.. then you don't get it! Is it ok to steal a Ferrari because you are driving a Focus? Piracy kills the industry and forces things like "all digital" and "drm." Don't like that? Well it is the truth... and those that sympathize with these people are most likely playing pirated games as well. Someone said earlier in this thread "I'm sure everyone has" or something like that... well, I for one can say I NEVER have and NEVER will. If someone takes thetime to make something and t has a price tag you should have to purchase it if you want to use it.... period.

#134 Posted by Acillatem1993 (24 posts) -

I grew up in a relative poor country and pirating games was a normal thing here. As a kid most of my games were pirated and rarely I got a bought game. I only started buying games a few years ago when I started having an income. Not going to lie, I still pirate games from time to time, but I also buy them. If nothing else when they are discounted on steam.

#135 Edited by HalcyonScarlet (4435 posts) -

@jer_1 said:

@HalcyonScarlet said:

@jer_1 said:

You realize that major record labels are making more money with piracy happening than they ever did in the past? The record companies are the ones to blame here, not some kid/person that took a copy of some random bands song. The record labels are simply using this as an excuse to fuck over any and all bands, typical corporate tactics.

How are they making more money? And I already said that there are more independent labels now. You're on crack if you think a talented band can be fucked over. They only do that to people that have no talent, because they have no say in the terms, if you have nothing to put on the table, don't expect good terms. If a band writes good music, they have much more power than you think. They don't take shit deals. Only singers get fucked because they have no talent other than being able to sing. And the truth is, singers are ten a penny.

Believe it or not, talented artists don't spend all day trying to get signed. It's considered lazy. You're supposed build up your own reputation and following, find your market. Then you have the power to get a good deal later on.

#136 Posted by heguain (657 posts) -

I Do.

#137 Posted by treedoor (7648 posts) -

@illmatic8582 said:

Pretty much.

The only way for a dev to gain new fans is if people play their games.

If you have no means to afford a game then whether you pirate it, or simply don't buy it, the dev gets no money anyways.

However, if you did pirate it, then you may become a fan, and you'll go on to buy future products from that dev.

If you chose not to buy it (and not pirate it) then that dev just missed out on gaining a fan, and won't get money from you in the future when you can afford to buy stuff.

Guess which devs prefer? Many sensible devs hold the idea they'd rather you pirate their game if you can't afford it. In other forms of media the same holds true. Many independent musicians encourage piracy just to get their music out there, so they can generate a fan base.

#138 Posted by MBirdy88 (8240 posts) -

@Bigboi500 said:

No. If you have money to buy the hardware, then you're not too poor to pay for the games.

very flawed logic.

#139 Posted by Bigboi500 (29950 posts) -

@MBirdy88 said:

@Bigboi500 said:

very flawed logic.

No, it's perfect logic. You'd have to be perfect to understand it, so that explains why you don't.

#140 Edited by Sword-Demon (6970 posts) -

@illmatic8582 said:

So we're all idiots because you didn't have a real job?

when I was 15, I was working to help pay for school as well as to buy things for myself. don't act like piracy was your only option.

You becoming a Playstation fan has no bearing on the morality of piracy.

#141 Posted by millerlight89 (18547 posts) -

@heretrix said:

@mrintro said:

I thought I was pretty clear on what I meant about taking it literally.. Not paying for something because you cannot afford it is not a good reason for the act, no matter the scale.

Then say that instead of coming up with some lame ass comparison.

#142 Posted by Murderstyle75 (4167 posts) -

@HalcyonScarlet:

The thing is though, most of those artists on smaller and independant labels actually promote piracy and many wouldn't have a name to begin with without file sharing sites. And even a lot of bigger named artists are jumping on board, offering up their music for free and even have bonus tracks and videos that can only be obtained by ripping the disc to your PC. For the most part, the people against music piracy consists of the big labels who are losing business since musicians no longer need them and some asshole millionaires who already have more money then they can spend in 10 lifetimes anyway.

#143 Edited by cfisher2833 (1700 posts) -

I neither sympathize nor condone their behavior. Piracy doesn't equate to a lost sale, and really, if anything, used game sales do far more damage to the industry. When someone buys a used game, not only does the developer get none of the money from that sale, but the developer/publishers also have to maintain a game's servers for customers who bought the game used (if the game has an online component).

Also, the vast majority of people that bitch about piracy are just hypocrites themselves given that there's pretty much a 99% chance that they've pirated movies or songs at one point.

#144 Edited by heretrix (37382 posts) -

@millerlight89 said:

@heretrix said:

@mrintro said:

Then say that instead of coming up with some lame ass comparison.

If that was the case your entire post history would be invalid.

#145 Posted by N30F3N1X (7998 posts) -

Don't really sympathize nor antagonize pirates. As far as I'm concerned pirating something comes down to a matter of pragmatism, there's nothing morally debateable in it.

#146 Posted by Minishdriveby (9983 posts) -

I don't sympathize with them because I don't care what they do.

#147 Posted by Minishdriveby (9983 posts) -

@jg4xchamp said:

Sympathize? no

I see someone has already posted my stance.

#148 Edited by RadioGooGoo (210 posts) -

On a slightly related note, every game should have a 30 minute to 1 hour demo that sums up what its all about. Not just selected games - every game.

#149 Posted by organic_machine (9686 posts) -

Absolutely not. If you don't have money, then make money. It's never really that easy, of course. But hobbies are expensive. Maybe get a cheaper hobby if you can't afford it.

Piracy is justified in only very rare cases in my opinion, and this is not one of them. And I've never personally done it, nor will I ever.

#150 Posted by FoxbatAlpha (7157 posts) -