Do you sympathize with people who pirate games if..

• 176 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

mrintro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 0

Poll Do you sympathize with people who pirate games if.. (143 votes)

yea 43%
no 57%

they really don't have money?

When I was kid/teenager, friends would hook me up with some games. Now that I am older and have income, I always buy my own games. In fact, I get annoyed with people who can purchase it but don't.

• 
Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#1 Sushiglutton
Member since 2009 • 9853 Posts

Yeah I kind of think that's okeyish. And just like in your case it leads to people getting hooked which benefits the industry in the long run.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#2 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

No. If you have money to buy the hardware, then you're not too poor to pay for the games.

gameofthering

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3 gameofthering
Member since 2004 • 11286 Posts

I'm sure every single person on Gamespot has been some sort of a pirate.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4  Edited By Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

What sucks is when Pirates get the Much better experience. simcity and Assassin's Creed II

Avatar image for deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
deactivated-5ac102a4472fe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5  Edited By deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
Member since 2007 • 7431 Posts

As an above person stated, If you can buy the hardware, you have no real excuse.

Also, no one stated that you always have to get the latest and greatest, so I do not find it an acceptible reason .

The typical cases where I find it, not ok, but understandible, is in areas where games does not come out at all, and can not simply be imported. While it is still not ok, it can be the only way that people can play the game at all. So the blame there lies as much with the Publisher as with the Pirate.

We can argue (although it is a fine line) that some countries have prices of games, so high, that if you Applied the original question, then I would be inclined to agree, simply because it would not be feasable to play 200$+ for a game. Some areas have prices in that area code, which is far too high. In that case, it is likely the Goverment in said country the blame is at, and not Publishers (Pirates still has some blame in that scenario, but atleast it would be arguable in that case).

Avatar image for YearoftheSnake5
YearoftheSnake5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#6  Edited By YearoftheSnake5
Member since 2005 • 9716 Posts

@Bigboi500 said:

No. If you have money to buy the hardware, then you're not too poor to pay for the games.

This.

I can understand, though, if the game was never released in that user's region or is out of print and difficult to find.

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Telekill
Member since 2003 • 12061 Posts

No. I've pirated a single game and it was Shenmue 2 on Dreamcast. The reason I pirated it was because Sega didn't release it here in America on Dreamcast and I wasn't about to buy an Xbox for one game. Also my friend had already downloaded it and all I needed to supply were 4 discs.

I would have gladly shelled out $50 for it had Sega not been douche bags.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#8 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

@YearoftheSnake5 said:

@Bigboi500 said:

This.

I can understand, though, if the game was never released in that user's region or is out of print and difficult to find.

Agreed.

edwardecl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By edwardecl
Member since 2005 • 2240 Posts

I don't give a shit what other people do. Where's that option?

Boddicker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Boddicker
Member since 2012 • 4458 Posts

@Bigboi500 said:

+1

adamosmaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#11 adamosmaki
Member since 2007 • 10718 Posts

maybe in the old days where DD sales and F2P games where unknown i would sympathize but nowdays if you can afford a $500-600 pc/console then surely you can afford a $5 game on sale that is only a couple of years old

The only excuse i give for piracy is if you are on the edge if you want to buy or not and as usual there is no demo

edwardecl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By edwardecl

But... is it OK to talk like a pirate while pirating a game while pirating in the game?

Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Gue1
Member since 2004 • 12171 Posts

in a world ruled by capitalism it's hard to say who are the real criminals and that's why I don't give a shit about piracy. There are many things that are protected by law that are just as bad or worse than those that aren't. This world is not black and white like many delusional people seem to believe where they so fervently go against piracy while pleading for the capitalist tools without understand anything.

And I'm not saying that that piracy is good but it sure is a necessary evil.

applefan1991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 applefan1991  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 3397 Posts

No. This isn't food or whatever. Pirating a game is theft. Games are not essential to life so there shouldn't really be much sympathizing about being too poor to afford the game.

R3FURBISHED

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 R3FURBISHED
Member since 2008 • 12408 Posts

You're not stealing bread to feed your starving family - video games are and never will be a necessity. Pirates have no excuse other than they are thieves.

inggrish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By inggrish
Member since 2005 • 10502 Posts

@R3FURBISHED said:

You're not stealing bread to feed your starving family - video games are and never will be a necessity. Pirates have no excuse other than they are thieves.

This.

The only reason I would ever endorse pirating a game, is if the game is so old that it is near impossible to actually buy.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c8ff6a32bb23
deactivated-5c8ff6a32bb23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#18  Edited By deactivated-5c8ff6a32bb23
Member since 2012 • 3185 Posts

Nah, I wouldn't sympathize with boaters who stole boats because they couldn't afford the newest and greatest.

Just play what you can afford.

mrintro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 mrintro
Member since 2004 • 1354 Posts

Wow, you guys must've grown up in really privileged homes..

Avatar image for CrownKingArthur
CrownKingArthur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By CrownKingArthur
Member since 2013 • 5262 Posts

no sympathy

bloody teenagers

spike6958

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#21  Edited By spike6958
Member since 2005 • 6701 Posts

No. Playing video games is a privilege, not a right. If you can't afford to do it, then focus on things you can afford, or if possible try and find a better paying job so you can afford it.

Also, there are plenty of free to play games out there now on IOS/Android and PC, so there are still options for people to play.

ominous_titan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 ominous_titan
Member since 2009 • 1217 Posts

no not at all, being financially strapped is a part of being young it builds character. If you cant afford alot you make the most with what you have. its not ok to steal food even if youre starving and food is a necessity ,gaming isnt so get a hobby you can afford

hoyalawya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#23 hoyalawya
Member since 2014 • 344 Posts
@mrintro said:

Wow, you guys must've grown up in really privileged homes..

Stealing is wrong legally and morally. It makes no difference the level of income of the person. I have pirated things in the past and I am ashamed thinking about it.

treedoor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By treedoor
Member since 2004 • 7648 Posts

Yeah, I do, as someone who gave no money to Valve for Half Life 1 in 1999, and then went on to purchase every future game they ever made, and buy over 160 Steam titles, and have convinced at least a half dozen people to all get PCs with Steam, and they have collectively purchased near 1000 titles.

Believe me. Valve doesn't care that I didn't purchase Half Life 1 as a 9 year old kid with no money. No sensible dev cares about piracy.

• Option 1 - Don't buy a game because you can't afford it
  • Option 2 - Pirate a game because you can't afford it, and potentially become a lifelong fan who buys all future products, and spreads the word around how awesome the game is to all your friends

Why would any dev think Option 1 is better?

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22374 Posts

Yeah it's a tough one... When I was in school, and couldn't afford a lot of games, I'd usually get my friends to copy PC games for me. However, when I had the money, I definitely bought them.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61478 Posts

Not really. I'm kind of okay with it, if you are within a region where the game is not readily available.

KittenNose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By KittenNose
Member since 2014 • 2470 Posts

I don't think a lot of western pirates have jobs and their own place. Steam is just too willing to give you games for less then an hours worth of salary for most people to bother. I figure most of the westerners who pirate games are the unemployed, and the young.

I also don't think many people who pirate buy new PCs. I would bet they get them used, or get someone's hand me downs.

At the end of the day though, I don't think most of the piracy goes down in the west. Most bootleg piracy happens outside of US/EU, so I think the same is true of p2p piracy. And no, people who live outside of the US/EU can not always lay hands on the software just because they can lay hands on the hardware.

Also: Piracy isn't a PC problem. The major difference between the perception of PC piracy and the perception of console piracy is that the first is internet based, and the other is disk based. That means when someone pirates a PC game, the site they download it from puts it up on their web page as a statistic everyone can see. When someone buys a console bootleg, the number isn't publicized all nice and neat. I am pretty sure if you could pull up the number of bootlegs sold of PS and Xbox games, it would dwarf pirate bay's console game downloads.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50556 Posts

No, that changed nothing

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 PurpleMan5000
Member since 2011 • 10531 Posts

When I was in school, I donated plasma to buy games and beer. Gaming is cheaper than it has ever been. Low income is no excuse for dishonesty, especially now. I do understand people who pirate games that are not available in their region, though. If a company chooses not to sell their product in a region, it's not like they are affected in any way when somebody from that region downloads the game.

mrintro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By mrintro

@PurpleMan5000 said:

When I was in school, I donated plasma to buy games and beer. Gaming is cheaper than it has ever been. Low income is no excuse for dishonesty, especially now. I do understand people who pirate games that are not available in their region, though. If a company chooses not to sell their product in a region, it's not like they are affected in any way when somebody from that region downloads the game.

That is true. It's much easier to get things cheap now than it was before.

Demonjoe93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 107

#31 Demonjoe93
Member since 2009 • 9869 Posts

No, stealing is stealing. Besides, video games aren't something you're entitled to; you don't a right to have them if you can't pay for them.

treedoor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 treedoor
Loading Video...

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By clyde46
Member since 2005 • 49061 Posts

@WadeFan said:

No. This isn't food or whatever. Pirating a game is theft. Games are not essential to life so there shouldn't really be much sympathizing about being too poor to afford the game.

Since when were you a mod?

AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 AmazonTreeBoa
Member since 2011 • 16745 Posts

@Bigboi500 said:

And if you are, you should have thought about that before buying the hardware.

applefan1991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 applefan1991  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 3397 Posts

@clyde46: for about a month now, give or take.

Avatar image for ReadingRainbow4
ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By ReadingRainbow4
Member since 2012 • 18733 Posts

I don't really see a problem with it. There's so many shitty games released today that expect you to shell out $40+ for around 4 hours of content that's mediocre at best. Especially on steam, the quality control just isn't there.

It's also a great way for word of mouth to circulate about a great game, you'd be surprised at how many people use Piracy as a way to Demo games that they actually end up buying.

ArisShadows

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By ArisShadows
Member since 2004 • 22784 Posts

Just because you can't buy something don't mean that you should go out and steal it.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

DRM is the Real enemy.

Atleast I haven't forgotten that.

treedoor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 treedoor

@ArisShadows said:

Just because you can't buy something don't mean that you should go out and steal it.

No

bbkkristian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 1

#40 bbkkristian
Member since 2008 • 14971 Posts

You know, it shows real character when a child/teen doesn't have the money and finds other means to acquire it. The way I did it was, I saved up my lunch money for extra video games.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60712 Posts

Nope. If you can buy a Pc that plays modern games, you can afford the games that go with it.

whiskeystrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 whiskeystrike
Member since 2011 • 12213 Posts
@Gue1 said:

in a world ruled by capitalism it's hard to say who are the real criminals and that's why I don't give a shit about piracy. There are many things that are protected by law that are just as bad or worse than those that aren't. This world is not black and white like many delusional people seem to believe where they so fervently go against piracy while pleading for the capitalist tools without understand anything.

And I'm not saying that that piracy is good but it sure is a necessary evil.

Pretty much how I feel. Do I sympathize with any kind of piracy? No, I simply don't care. Granted the whole premise of this board is easily "FWP" but even in comparison to other video game related problems the morality of piracy is such a non-issue. People pirate games for various reasons and really, the idea that I could express some kind of disapproval of them doing so is just embarrassing to think about.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

I NEVER sympathize with Pirates and never will. I buy my own games and the ones I can't or in the past I couldn't, I wait for. I worked odd jobs, I sold baseball cards on the playground, whatever it took, I sold candy, I did landscaping, door to door sales, etc. Things weren't handed to me on a silver platter and I'm thankful for it.

When I was growing up, if we couldn't afford something, we didn't steal it. You dealt with it and you found other things to do. I value things now growing up like that and I will never sympathize with piracy. I don't pirate music, movies, or games. It's not the right way to think or act, but yes, it's incredibly easy to do. I don't tell people how to live their life, but if asked this question about sympathizing, I'll say it outright loud and proud, NO I DO NOT SYMPATHIZE WITH PEOPLE THAT CHOOSE TO STEAL FOR THE SOLE PURPOSE OF ENTERTAINING THEMSELVES. If we are talking a Jean Valjean situation from Les Misérables, I certainly sympathize for stealing to survive...but not stealing to play games or whatever.

Generally speaking, the sense of entitlement I see around in the western world disgusts me...not online, but in RL. I keep it to myself, but if I was engaged in discussion, I tell them. It's not the worst thing ever, but it's certainly a mark on their character as far as I'm concerned, a piece of their integrity they will never get back. It's gone.

It's not the end of the world, but I don't ever sympathize with pirates...but in the world we live in and as time goes on, I know I'm swimming against the tide and the sea of apathy will only gain momentum. I also accepted that, but it's certainly sad to me.

Gaming is a luxury in the first place, if someone can't afford participating in the industry, supporting their own passion, and the entertainment luxury, there are other things to do like learn to play an instrument, read books from the library, watch TV, play outside, spend time with family...no need to go and steal things like movies or games to keep up with the Joneses.

edwardecl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By edwardecl

Copying a game isn't stealing by the way.

mrintro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By mrintro

You guys bring up valid points, but most kids don't really think of it as a moral or legal dilemma. They're just like any other kid, just want to play and have fun. No one wants to feel left out. And it's not like they're trying to sell for profit.

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 PurpleMan5000
Member since 2011 • 10531 Posts
@edwardecl said:

True, but it is just as bad.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

@mrintro said:

You guys bring up valid points, but most kids don't really think of it as a moral or legal dilemma. They're just like any other kid, just want to play and have fun. No one wants to feel left out. And it's not like they're trying to sell for profit.

Sadly, some do. I had some school associates in different schools that turned their piracy into a small side business. It also depends on how the kids were raised. I know I wasn't in a privileged home, yet I was raised with brothers and sisters and morals were a key point in my upbringing.

I also know that sort of upbringing with character in mind is evaporating more and more as I get older and see how kids today behave.

Avatar image for deactivated-59b71619573a1
deactivated-59b71619573a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By deactivated-59b71619573a1
Member since 2007 • 38222 Posts

I can't afford a game so I'm gonna go to a store and take one of those without paying.

Do you sympathise with those people?

hoyalawya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 hoyalawya
Member since 2014 • 344 Posts

@edwardecl said:

Wrong. It is stealing. You are appropriating someone else's right to earn income without explicit permission from the rightful owner.

Ribstaylor1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Ribstaylor1
Member since 2014 • 2186 Posts

I used to download cracked versions but haven't in a very long time. Now that I have a computer that can play games on good settings I no longer have to worry about it not working which was the main reason I did pirate. Games are cheap on pc so I just buy them now less hassle and you know it works as well as your not stealing something.