Do you still Consider 'Valve' as Game Developer?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#1  Edited By Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

Valve is the company that brought us masterpiece after masterpiece for years. Kids, these days think that those old Valve games are overrated but they don't know that modern shooters use Half Life games as a blue print. Back then it was revolution,,, now it's not jaw dropping anymore because of countless copy cats that still can't get everything right.

With Steam, Valve became really rich and started to move away from making core games like they used to make back in the day. There was lack of interest inside Valve about Portal 2 as well but some people inside the company forced them to revisit their policy and due to their passion they decided to make it happen.

After that Valve announced that they lack interest in making Single Player games and want to explore F2P and multiplayer. Hence, they came up with formally a Warcraft 3 mod, Dota 2 (Moba). Old Valve fans want them to return to their older IPs like Half Life, Portal or make some new Story driven game but no luck so far.

Do you think that Valve is still a Game developer or they are just a distribution company now. Do you think they'll make new games with Source 2 or will be like "OK take this free engine our beloved indies and do whatever you want" ? I for one don't expect much from the company anymore. What you think?

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#2 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 55896 Posts

Yes I do see Valve can still be Game Developers to say the least. After all, Half-Life did change the way we play FPS, so I do see them as reverent to them as a Game Developers despite Steam may have moved them from Core Gaming. Besides, aren't they still working on Left for Dead 3? Last I heard was that it maybe possible but nothing as of yet and that news was like last year.

pelvist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 0

#3 pelvist
Member since 2010 • 9001 Posts

I think we will see some games made from Valve in the near future for the Vive. The games will probably be multi format/multi platform to work on other VR devices as well. Valve have always been slow to release games, I doubt they will give up on their popular franchises. With the imminent release of their Source 2 engine im expecting to see some games announced in the next year or two as well, they will need something to show it off.

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19550 Posts

Sure, why not?

They had a pretty awesome output of top-quality games until quite recently, and they've presumably got more in the works right now.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Cloud_imperium

@davillain- said:

Yes I do see Valve can still be Game Developers to say the least. After all, Half-Life did change the way we play FPS, so I do see them as reverent to them as a Game Developers despite Steam may have moved them from Core Gaming. Besides, aren't they still working on Left for Dead 3? Last I heard was that it maybe possible but nothing as of yet and that news was like last year.

Rumors man. Nothing official. Portal 2 was amazing. Sequel in Source 2 Engine = Glorious.

DEadliNE-Zero0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 DEadliNE-Zero0
Member since 2014 • 6607 Posts

They release a game almost every year, except 2010 and 2014.

L4D3 has been leaked.

@Cloud_imperium said:

After that Valve announced that they lack interest in making Single Player games and want to explore F2P and multiplayer. Hence, they came up with formally a Warcraft 3 mod, Dota 2 (Moba). Old Valve fans want them to return to their older IPs like Half Life, Portal or make some new Story driven game but no luck so far.

lol, Valve's always been MP drive.

Team Fortress, Day of Defeat, Counter Strike. After all these years, the only single player style game they have is Half Life and Portal. And Portal 1 was more of a tiny experiment style game. Only Portal 2 was a proper, fully fleshed out campaign.

Now contrast that with

• Day of Defeat
  • Day of Defeat Source
  • Half Life Deathmacth
  • Team Fortress
  • Team Fortress 2
  • Counter Strike
  • CS Condition Zero
  • CS Source
  • CS Global Offensive
  • Left 4 Dead
  • Left 4 Dead 2
  • DOTA 2
Avatar image for the_master_race
the_master_race

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#7 the_master_race
Member since 2015 • 5226 Posts

Yes , Valve has been working on source 2 for a long time and the way I see it this new engine looks so promising

locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 locopatho
Member since 2003 • 24259 Posts

They keep all their multiplayer franchises ticking over so yeah, still a dev. I'm not really into their mp games though, except Left 4 Dead. I'd prefer a new single player adventure like Half Life, Portal or a new IP.

Lol, remember in 2007, people were on about MS paying for Half Life 3 to be 360 exclusive for a year? Not that that was likely, but it's weird that it was so massive a name and now hasn't been seen for near a decade.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Cloud_imperium

@deadline-zero0:

As I said, nothing official... Just rumors. Dota 2 is just a Moba, that started as Warcraft 3 mod. And that's the direction that Valve wants to take. As I said, they weren't interested in Portal 2 either. Most multiplayer games you mentioned started as mods. None of them were games in the beginning and were just mods for their Single Player game, Half Life.

SexyJazzCat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 SexyJazzCat
Member since 2013 • 2796 Posts

Well, they've made games last gen, so yes.

Avatar image for deactivated-57d8401f17c55
deactivated-57d8401f17c55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By deactivated-57d8401f17c55
Member since 2012 • 7221 Posts

Not as big a game developer as they are DD kingpins haha.

Hope they make L4D 3 to make up for what evolve was.

verbalfilth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 verbalfilth
Member since 2006 • 5043 Posts

I dont see them as pure developers anymore. I see them picking up people's projects and shelling out money to make them seem like they are in house games (portal, Dota etc)

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60679 Posts

Yes, of course. Portal and L4D have come out recently.

NyaDC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#14  Edited By NyaDC
Member since 2014 • 8006 Posts

They've lost focus, that's all I'm going to say.

Avatar image for princeofshapeir
princeofshapeir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#15 princeofshapeir
Member since 2006 • 16652 Posts

I don't like that they're focusing on multiplayer games. I like CS:GO but I want single-player focused games from them that aren't puzzle games.

Avatar image for Midnightshade29
Midnightshade29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 301

#16 Midnightshade29
Member since 2008 • 6003 Posts

@Cloud_imperium: I used to love valves games...but now everytime Gabe opens his mouth he shits on the people who made them... they are sellouts taking the easy way out.

In a time when pc doesn't have any AAA single player games (minus indie / kickstarter projects) they are championing free 2 play war craft mods as real games, and making hats for team fortress 2 a game from 2004... wtf? Greed ruined a great dev.

So I say screw u valve... at least until u make a real single player game again!

iambatman7986

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#17 iambatman7986
Member since 2013 • 4569 Posts

Requirements of a game developer, they develop games. Counter Strike GO released in 2014 so I'd say, yes.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#18 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58635 Posts

Valve have saved gaming time and time again, in many ways, they are a demigod.

princeofshapeir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By princeofshapeir

@Midnightshade29 said:

@Cloud_imperium: In a time when pc doesn't have any AAA single player games (minus indie / kickstarter projects) they are championing free 2 play war craft mods as real games, and making hats for team fortress 2 a game from 2004... wtf? Greed ruined a great dev.

DOTA 2 is the best game in its genre and it is a real game (I can confirm this because I have played it in real life), and TF2 wasn't released in 2004 you doofus

lawlessx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#20 lawlessx
Member since 2004 • 48753 Posts

@Heil68 said:

Those games are far from recent.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60679 Posts

@lawlessx said:
@Heil68 said:

Those games are far from recent.

Dota 2 then?

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#22  Edited By FireEmblem_Man
Member since 2004 • 20248 Posts

No, they're not developers! Not anymore as the majority of titles you listed other than Half-Life are made by modders that were made by the source engine, and Valve Corporations just end up absorbing those games and just slap the Valve Corp. Logo and pretend that they made the game, when obviously they're just taking all the credit for themselves.

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#23 Ballroompirate
Member since 2005 • 26695 Posts

Had to laugh at the phrase "masterpieces"

NyaDC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#24 NyaDC
Member since 2014 • 8006 Posts

@iambatman7986 said:

Requirements of a game developer, they develop games. Counter Strike GO released in 2014 so I'd say, yes.

Counter-Strike: Global Offensive went into closed beta December 2011 and released August 2012, no idea why you're saying it came out in 2014...

princeofshapeir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 princeofshapeir

@FireEmblem_Man said:

No, they're not developers! Not anymore as the majority of titles you listed other than Half-Life are made by modders that were made by the source engine, and Valve Corporations just end up absorbing those games and just slap the Valve Corp. Logo and pretend that they made the game, when obviously they're just taking all the credit for themselves.

Offering those modders positions at Valve to help develop a game in the spirit of their mod means that game is a Valve game. Icefrog is a Valve employee; DOTA 2 is a Valve game.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

Well they release games and continue to update those games, so yes

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#27 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

Sure. They're making a new engine, stuff has been leaked, and they are likely working on one or more games already. They like to work in the dark.

Jankarcop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Jankarcop
Member since 2011 • 11058 Posts

Yes, they just released games last year and have L4D3 in dev.

@FireEmblem_Man said:

Blizzard and Square (the dev, not publisher) also have many game studios. Are we not supposed to count the games released by them unless someone from the core team was involved?

AzatiS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By AzatiS
Member since 2004 • 14969 Posts

@Cloud_imperium: I consider them one of the best developers , not just a developer...

CS GO

TF 2

DOTA 2

and above all HALF LIFE franchise that because of it we had the biggest revolution on FPS

Now add everything else and yes , it is one of the most traditional and well established developer in the world as of now ... CS GO in 3 years managed to revive CS , plays in every single PC league and managed to go from 1.2M unique montly players to 6.2 million. That is something only a good developer can do.

TF2 is as big as ever

DOTA 2 cant compete with LoL directly since LoL is by far the most successful MOBA and multiplayer online game in general but it has a nice share of the pie which again ... shows how good of a work they did.

Half life was THE revolution of FPS , youngsters maybe dont remember , but i do. THE with caps. Many sites voted it as the game of century / decade for 90s. Half life 2 was of great quality and offered some unseen physics for its time yet solid graphics , plot etc ... And half life 3 is around the corner as we speak ... I cant wait ! I just cant.

EDIT : I did forget Portal/2 one of my best gaming experience last generation ,,, From valve that is

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

Sure, but their mod teams or devs they bought out made better works than they did. Half Life can be influential all it wants, but Half Life 2 is a fairly dull shooter because of its weak shooting mechanics and poor pacing. I have much more affinity for the brilliance of Counterstrike, Team Fortress 2, and Portal. Dota 2 is an excellent game, and frankly far more worthy of my respect. Plus when Valve's let the initial team go to do "their" sequel with Portal 2 and Left 4 Dead 2, there were quality improvements made in some areas, but overall they made the lesser game in the case of Portal 2 (The originals more concise run time creates a tighter experience), and in L4D2 their maps weren't as good as the ones made by Turtle Rock. Although yes Portal 2's coop is pretty legit.

Regardless yeah Valve is still a game developer, but I don't appreciate them for their "masterpieces" in the Half Life games, because honestly **** Half Life. The stuff people did with their engines though? Now those were masterful pieces of game design. Counterstrike is a beast.

iambatman7986

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 iambatman7986
Member since 2013 • 4569 Posts

@nyadc said:
@iambatman7986 said:

Counter-Strike: Global Offensive went into closed beta December 2011 and released August 2012, no idea why you're saying it came out in 2014...

I was all kinda mixed up on that, it came to Linux in 2014. My bad. Looks like porting to Linux so they can get the Steam OS up and running is their priority right now. I imagine they have something in the works though.

Avatar image for Midnightshade29
Midnightshade29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 301

#32 Midnightshade29
Member since 2008 • 6003 Posts

@jg4xchamp:

Well to me, someone who really doesn't get into multiplayer and loved rts before hero's and squads entered the picture... valve as a dev offers nothing to me.

As a lover of halflife and halflife2 the way the left fans of single player games is disgusting. Their countless speach es about only supporting free 2 play and multiplayer sealed the deal... they are no longer AAA single player game devs and greedy hat selling hacks. With their steam cash there is no reason they can't have multiple teams and be making games for every genre.

Only thing that comes to mind is greed. Why do that when they can have 1 or 2 teams who tweaks modders games and adds in some microtansaction bull shit.

All I can say is thank god for paradox indies, and kick starter or there would be nothing I want to play on pc. And this is from someone who was pc only in gen 6... the killing of single player aaa pc devs forced me to add console back to my life. I miss the era of AAA single player madterpieces... and all valve needs to do is dedicate a team for such games, but they won't. It's been a decade it ain't happening and I need to move on. :(

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Cloud_imperium
@FireEmblem_Man said:

How's that a bad thing? Wish more devs were like that. That's one of the best things about Valve. They always look out for talent.

@AzatiS:

"Half Life 3 is just around the corner". WTF bro?

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

@Midnightshade29 said:

@jg4xchamp:

Well to me, someone who really doesn't get into multiplayer and loved rts before hero's and squads entered the picture... valve as a dev offers nothing to me.

As a lover of halflife and halflife2 the way the left fans of single player games is disgusting. Their countless speach es about only supporting free 2 play and multiplayer sealed the deal... they are no longer AAA single player game devs and greedy hat selling hacks. With their steam cash there is no reason they can't have multiple teams and be making games for every genre.

Only thing that comes to mind is greed. Why do that when they can have 1 or 2 teams who tweaks modders games and adds in some microtansaction bull shit.

All I can say is thank god for paradox indies, and kick starter or there would be nothing I want to play on pc. And this is from someone who was pc only in gen 6... the killing of single player aaa pc devs forced me to add console back to my life. I miss the era of AAA single player madterpieces... and all valve needs to do is dedicate a team for such games, but they won't. It's been a decade it ain't happening and I need to move on. :(

I didn't say anything about they don't have to make Half Life, they should given how much of a cock tease Episode 2 ends on. However, I'm not exactly fond of acting like Half Life 2 was gospel when so much of it is frankly some dull ass shit. The pious about their greed is inconsequential, because as a dev of F2P games, they have been more than generous and respectful in that regard. Neither Dota 2 or Team Fortress 2 are compromised mechanically for the sake of the model, which is usually the larger issue with F2P design to begin with.

Hat selling hacks? They pumped out one of the best competitive games on the market with a level of depth not really seen in anything that isn't something like Starcraft 2. That's not a hack, that's a pretty impressive developer.

Like I said to me the mod teams and the studios valve bought were better than valve htemselves. As far as the FPS scene, I was more into ID's stuff, More into Epic's stuff, more into Duke Nukem 3D, Ion Storm, and gen 6? Way more into Monolith's games like No One Lives Forever, AVP2, and Fear, way more into Starbreeze with things like Escape from Butcher Bay, significantly more into Retro's work, because I wouldn't even humor the idea of putting Half Life 2 over the 2 Metroid Prime games, and while we're at it shit like Far Cry/Crysis (before Crytek became console devs) and STALKER were richer gameplay experiences than what Half Life 2 had to offer. Shitty Trigun/Aliens and all.

To me if "proper Valve" is the Half Life cats, yeah they had influence, but I don't think they were ever that good. I don't subscribe to influence automatically equaling quality. Although sure Valve deserves a level of respect/admiration for how ground breaking Half Life 1 is.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#35 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

Sure they are. They are just continuing to develop their older games as opposed to working on newer ones for now, but they are still game developers.

AdrianWerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#36 AdrianWerner
Member since 2003 • 28441 Posts

Well..they still work on games..so yes. But there's probably no going back to the SP-focused Valve.

AzatiS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By AzatiS

@Cloud_imperium said:
@FireEmblem_Man said:

How's that a bad thing? Wish more devs were like that. That's one of the best things about Valve. They always look out for talent.

@AzatiS:

I give you 2-3 years before it gets a release ... All valve was waiting was new hardware for their Source 2 to be viable to get started ... Why you think thats not the case ? I think they are working on HL3 as we speak

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Cloud_imperium

@AzatiS said:
@Cloud_imperium said:

@AzatiS:

I give you 2-3 years before it gets a release ... All valve was waiting was new hardware for their Source 2 to be viable to get started ... Why you think thats not the case ? I think they are working on HL3 as we speak

But they said again and again that they are not interested in making one. I hope what you are saying is the case but we've been hearing rumors and speculations for 8 years now.

AzatiS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By AzatiS

@Cloud_imperium said:
@AzatiS said:
@Cloud_imperium said:

@AzatiS:

But they said again and again that they are not interested in making one. I hope what you are saying is the case but we've been hearing rumors and speculations for 8 years now.

Well with the "release" of Source 2 we heading there ! Yes its nothing official but now its the time ... Source 2 , a next-gen engine and next-gen hardware ! Everything is set if you ask me. It remains to see when theyll make it official ... They just released a new engine for what ? Portal 3 and new L4D ? Definitly there wont be a new CS after this CS GO super success anytime soon and definitly not a new DOTA ...

I doubt they invested so much time and money into a new graphic engine for nothing more than F2P caliber games or simplistic single player games like Portal ... Something bigger is going on and that can only be HL3. Its a matter of time to make it official , thats what i think

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 DaVillain  Moderator

@AzatiS: Now this is the part that I don't get. Aren't we all waiting for Half-Life 2 Episode 3? What I mean is, when did this whole Half-Life 3 came from anyways?

AzatiS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By AzatiS

@davillain- said:

@AzatiS: Now this is the part that I don't get. Aren't we all waiting for Half-Life 2 Episode 3? What I mean is, when did this whole Half-Life 3 came from anyways?

Its rumors but source 2 release is a big sign about it .. dont get me wrong , you wont have HL3 in a year or 2 ... most probably its announcement that HL3 is in early stages like 30-40% done or something. Thats what i personally think because it takes aloooot of effort , time and money , to make a new graphic engine ... for what ? Episode 3 ? Portal 3 ? ... doesnt make sense!

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 DaVillain  Moderator

@AzatiS: TBH, I don't see that happening for HL3. Might as well just leave it were it is.

AzatiS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 AzatiS

@davillain- said:

@AzatiS: TBH, I don't see that happening for HL3. Might as well just leave it were it is.

Lets see then ! I say theres a strong possibility and i beleive that HL3 is coming

Daious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Daious
Member since 2013 • 2315 Posts

The companies last major release was less than 2 years ago. I still consider them developers.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Cloud_imperium

@davillain- said:

Valve said, no more episodic releases after Episode 2 and said next installments (Episode 3,4 and 5) will be part of one big game (HL3).