• 60 results
Avatar image for ghostwarrior786
ghostwarrior786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

Poll Do you like grinding/loot in games (38 votes)

Yes i am a loser 58%
No it is a waste of time 42%

i for one HATE going around in games looking for crap so i can upgrade my weapons/armour or whatever. it just seems like such a waste of time and grinding is very boring. i cant understand the appeal of such games like borderlands so can someone who enjoys those type of games comment in here explaining why they are so great

• 
Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#1 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
Member since 2012 • 12449 Posts

your poll sucks, you should feel bad.

Character progression maybe?

parkurtommo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#2 parkurtommo
Member since 2009 • 28295 Posts

Grinding and loot are 2 very different concepts.

Grinding is boring but if the reward is good like in Dark Souls then it's worth it and actually makes it fun.

Loot is like the main appeal of RPGs for me.

ghostwarrior786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 ghostwarrior786
Member since 2005 • 5811 Posts

@MBirdy88 said:

your poll sucks, you should feel bad.

Character progression maybe?

my poll does not suck how dare u. titanfall sucks

@parkurtommo said:

Grinding and loot are 2 very different concepts.

Grinding is boring but if the reward is good like in Dark Souls then it's worth it and actually makes it fun.

Loot is like the main appeal of RPGs for me.

ah ok but why is loot the main appeal for u

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#4 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41527 Posts

I don't mind it all that much. In fact, I'd say looting is a good thing for the game's economy.

Avatar image for shadowchronicle
Shadowchronicle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 66

#5  Edited By Shadowchronicle
Member since 2008 • 26969 Posts

>Yes I am a loser

Don't you have a better way of phrasing that?

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52425 Posts

That's what I like in Destiny. You don't run into loot every 2 seconds.

I'm not a huge fan of grinding though.

Roler42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7 Roler42
Member since 2013 • 1067 Posts

What a better way to start a poll than outright insulting the people you are asking to participate in...

ghostwarrior786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By ghostwarrior786
Member since 2005 • 5811 Posts

@shadowchronicle said:

>Yes I am a loser

Don't you have a better way of phrasing that?

@roler42 said:

What a better way to start a poll than outright insulting the people you are asking to participate in...

hey i picked the 'yes i am a loser' option too, but for different reason than those of loot lovers

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#9 Renegade_Fury
Member since 2003 • 21700 Posts

No, I hate grinding. Loot, I'm not big on either, unless they're standard power-ups and weapons, like say in Castlevania: SOTN, rather than things you're supposed to experiment and tweak around with.

Roler42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Roler42
Member since 2013 • 1067 Posts

@ghostwarrior786: And now you drop the subtlety and outright attack them... Geez... You're not even trying

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#11 Ballroompirate
Member since 2005 • 26695 Posts

If done right I like it.

dragonfly110

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#12 dragonfly110
Member since 2008 • 27955 Posts

I love loot, grinding however I can only tolerate if I'm a huge fan of the combat system in the game

darkangel115

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 darkangel115
Member since 2013 • 4562 Posts

Loot is ok if it comes naturally. I hate grinding and RNG systems though. its a way to artificially add length to a game via repetitiveness with a small reward as the goal.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9397 Posts

if you don't like grinding in a game then you should play a different game because all grinding is playing/replaying a game. Loot is awesome. You must be one of them casuals.

Snugenz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Snugenz
Member since 2006 • 13388 Posts

If a game does it right, loot and grinding for loot can be awesome. So that's a yes i love loot and grinding.

Oh and your poll does suck :P

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#16  Edited By nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41527 Posts

@dragonfly110 said:

I love loot, grinding however I can only tolerate if I'm a huge fan of the combat system in the game

By the... good to see you again! :D

IgGy621985

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 IgGy621985
Member since 2004 • 5922 Posts

I don't play MMOs, but I like loot in hack and slash RPGs.

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

Im okay with it but gameplay/combat needs to be good or it gets tiresome very quick. Also prefer when its challenging or it also gets old pretty quick. I grinded a lot in Destiny knowing everything will be deleted lol but hey there isn't much to do so why not

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

@magicalclick: can i say GW2? I think i can!

BldgIrsh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#21 BldgIrsh
Member since 2014 • 3044 Posts

I appreciate the grinding to have better items than others... Runescape I used to mine 24/7 to be able to afford amazing items.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17812 Posts

grinding: no (its why i generally hate MMOs. they are all grinding). the one exception is monster hunter. its not that i like grinding...its just fighting the monsters is fun and if i so happen to get the item i want then all the better.

i love loot. lots of loot. lootin and levelling....it can be great fun. its why i like borderlands. there isnt any grinding but there is looting, levelling and KILLING!!.....ahem. very few games get looting right though. a good looting systems should feel rewarding. good armor should give good stats and also look awesome for example.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44557 Posts

Depends on the game, generally no. Some RPGs have good side quests and non-campaign activities to allow plays to level up so they're more able to handle the main campaign, in those cases it feels less like grinding and more like part of the adventure. The one game I felt that handled it best for JRPGs was Persona 3 and 4, and I feel these games did a better job of it because of the pacing, and the time of day to explore the shadow world was broken up between school, social activities, work, studying, activities to build courage/academics/strength, plus there were objectives to achieve in the shadow world taken from the Velvet Room, and there was always good opportunity to run into some loot like armor or weapons or even new persona to keep or fuse. Western RPGs generally handle it well, games like TES: Oblivion had a good amount of sidequests. By contrast Skyrim fucked it up, because sidequests generally didn't have their own crafted story they instead relied on auto generation of the simplest kind, like "Jarl wants to you kill a troll/dragon, kill it and come collect your reward", or "go steal a chalice from this home and collect your reward", they weren't the kind of crafted side quests with story and multiple solutions that we got in previous TES games. But, I typically dislike any RPG where you hit a wall in exploration or the campaign because of a lack of skill, leading players to run circles earning XP in order to level up enough to progress.

glez13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 glez13
Member since 2006 • 10310 Posts

Everything has it's limits. A little bit of grinding is good as well as some meaningful loot to be found. When the game is like 12 hours story and 48 hours grinding to reach the end, something is wrong. Generic loot is pointless, there should be some uniqueness or randomness to it.

navyguy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 navyguy21
Member since 2003 • 17423 Posts

I love loot, but hate grinding.

One is a reward while the other is a punishment.

navyguy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 navyguy21
Member since 2003 • 17423 Posts

@glez13 said:

Everything has it's limits. A little bit of grinding is good as well as some meaningful loot to be found. When the game is like 12 hours story and 48 hours grinding to reach the end, something is wrong. Generic loot is pointless, there should be some uniqueness or randomness to it.^

^ I agree with this ^

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts

I like loot when there is a ton of different looking loot and not just a bunch of the same loot with different stats. Hate grinding in any game.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#28  Edited By GreySeal9
Member since 2010 • 28247 Posts

I don't really care for grinding, which is why I generally don't do it. The majority of RPGs I have played can be beaten without grinding.

I will do it if I absolutely have to, but usually I just defeat the enemies I encounter when playing the game normally.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60711 Posts

Yes and I'm double dipping Diablo 3. Will be getting UE edition for PS4 next month while I already own the PC version.

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#30 HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 13663 Posts

Some games it's okay depending on how it's pulled off and how you're into the game.

But some games it can be intrusive, like there's some tedious shit that goes on in Arkham Origins to unlock stuff.

LustForSoul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 LustForSoul
Member since 2011 • 6404 Posts

That's every MMO ever in a nutshell. Depending on the game or reward, I don't mind doing it.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

I don't know where this falls under. But, in Far Cry 3, I enjoy mowing down privateers and pirates so I can loot them for money and ammo. Same goes for the animals.

Loser, I guess.

cfisher2833

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By cfisher2833
Member since 2011 • 2150 Posts

Depends on the game. For JRPGs with crappy turn based battle systems, then yes. With games with good battle systems like Dark Souls or Divinity OS, then no, I don't really mind grinding.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#34 Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

Yes , I love it .

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#35  Edited By jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

As a combination no.

It creates a gaming experience that isn't satisfying on a level that rewards your expertise or skill or mastery of a system. What it does is just provide you with the gaming equivalent of junk food to take advantage of compulsive instincts to get "better shit" so you can have bigger numbers than your enemies. That's not to say they are all universally bad or something. For instance Path of Exile's skill tree is fucking insanity, and the sheer variety of builds allows a lot of variety for multiple playthroughs. The joy becomes less from a form of mastery or skill, and more so from watching a character creation grow.

Still relatively fun when executed right. Where I don't usually enjoy it is when it's done loosely with an action game. Because you rob the action game of any real thought when it comes to encounter designs (see Borderlands, the Beta of Destiny) because you are dependent on that loot to carry the experience, and in general those skill trees in both games are shallow. It doesn't provide nearly the same level of depth as a proper loot rpg or a mmorpg (also loot driven).

Too long; didn't read: it's fun, in a very compulsive way. But I don't think too highly of it.

clone01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By clone01
Member since 2003 • 29824 Posts

If the payoff is terrible, perhaps. If you get, say just for the sake of argument, 1 exp point for every hundred enemies you kill? Yeah. Otherwise, if I have to do a little grinding/farming, not so bad. That's why they invented beer.

yokofox33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#37 yokofox33
Member since 2004 • 30775 Posts

I like grinding if it's fun. It becomes tedious if it's not exciting or fresh. Trying to get loot can be frustrating. Depends on the game though. FFXI is a game I loved grinding and trying to get loot. Never really got old for me.

inb4uall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 inb4uall
Member since 2012 • 6564 Posts

I like loot in things like terraria, or torchlight. In things like borderlands though it's dumb. You need to have loot of a certain quality to progress. It has nothing to do with skill.

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#40  Edited By GarGx1
Member since 2011 • 10934 Posts

Grinding is killing the same mobs over and over for a few coin drops until you have enough cash to buy a mount, that's quite frankly more of a job than a game and can kill the fun and immersion for a lot of players.

Killing bosses for loot is an attraction to a game for most RPG/MMO players and is as far from grinding as you can get, especially with raiding in large groups where both co-ordination and practice are needed.

This, mostly, fits with MMO's and is also where the term comes from.

fgjnfgh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#41  Edited By fgjnfgh
Member since 2005 • 2649 Posts

if i was rich and free id definitely do it, but i think no one can unless your a prince. I thought you were talking about achievement/trophy but it applies since it's the same concept

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#42 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

Grinding can be fun, especially if there are consistent rewards upon leveling up beyond just leveling up (and hell sometimes just grinding can be fun if you get more abilities out of it or whatever). Loot is fun because it's like finding a piece of treasure in the middle of a junk yard. Loot in loot based games tend to be crap but when you find that one item that is actually god, it feels great. Plus some people are closeted hoarders so loot based games help them scratch that itch.

Also, grinding can be fun if presented as something other than grinding. In the game Rogue Legacy, technically the entire game is grinding until you're strong enough to overcome a boss. But the way the game works is that it feels like you're exploring different versions of the same castle and are constantly being rewarded for it via gold.

Shielder7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#43 Shielder7
Member since 2006 • 5191 Posts

No one likes grinding, but there is no better way I can think of to even out the economy in a multiplayer game. In single player games IMO it's pointless.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#44 cainetao11  Online
Member since 2006 • 38034 Posts

@Heil68 said:

Yes and I'm double dipping Diablo 3. Will be getting UE edition for PS4 next month while I already own the PC version.

That comes out next month dude?!! Shit, I am tapped.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Heil68

@cainetao11 said:

@Heil68 said:

Yeah the 19th. I held off on expansion for PC,once I found it it was coming to consoles so really I'm only paying $20 extra for full game. I stopped playing Level 3 Inferno before patch to address difficulty and loot, so I have a lot to do, not to mention it can be played offline and the auction house is now gone. It will be cool importing my characters, I already have a barb and Demon hunter level 60 and was working on a Wizard when I quit.

Ribnarak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Ribnarak
Member since 2008 • 2299 Posts

maplestory rings a bell lol. that game used to be a GRIND.

coasterguy65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#47  Edited By coasterguy65
Member since 2005 • 7133 Posts

I don't mind looting in a game like Borderlands, but I hate grinding in a game like Final Fantasy.

PyratRum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 PyratRum
Member since 2013 • 778 Posts

Don't really mind grinding unless it's excessive but I love me some loot games. I've put an ungodly number of hours into Diablo II and III all in name of finding a slightly better piece of gear.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#49 cainetao11  Online
Member since 2006 • 38034 Posts

@Heil68 said:

@cainetao11 said:

@Heil68 said:

Yeah the 19th. I held off on expansion for PC,once I found it it was coming to consoles so really I'm only paying $20 extra for full game. I stopped playing Level 3 Inferno before patch to address difficulty and loot, so I have a lot to do, not to mention it can be played offline and the auction house is now gone. It will be cool importing my characters, I already have a barb and Demon hunter level 60 and was working on a Wizard when I quit.

Yeah I played with the one Diablo fan that lived down the hall in the Barracks on PS3, loved it. Was thinking of getting it for PC but now I am not sure. But man, I am cash strapped. Trading Watchdogs to further offset Destiny purchase tomorrow.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Heil68

@cainetao11 said:

@Heil68 said:

@cainetao11 said:

@Heil68 said:

Yeah I played with the one Diablo fan that lived down the hall in the Barracks on PS3, loved it. Was thinking of getting it for PC but now I am not sure. But man, I am cash strapped. Trading Watchdogs to further offset Destiny purchase tomorrow.

How much you getting for the trade? I always wondered if private selling through Ebay or Craigslist would be worth it. What system you getting destiny on? I'm getting on PS4, so add me-BroknOath-if you want to play.