Do you ignore storytelling in games when it gets poor?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Salt_The_Fries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 Salt_The_Fries
Member since 2008 • 12480 Posts

I do it notoriously, you know? Either when the game sets certain inexcusable level of ineptitude from the beginning or when it has been decent throughout but took a nosedive from certain moment on. IMO video games rarely make their plots and lore consistently engaging through the whole game. Even games like The Witcher 2! What I also hate is when a game feels already exhausted on the level of lore but keeps spamming you with more of the same and thinks you should pay the same attention as you paid at the beginning. I'm talking about games with collectable journals for example, like Tomb Raider. Even in games with non-intrusive storytelling like Dead Space 3 I ended up ignoring most of the text based logs and longer audio ones because it was ruining the pacing and I'm the kind of a guy

who'd enjoy stellar story over action!

What are you like?

Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Bread_or_Decide
Member since 2007 • 29761 Posts

When I played vanquish I checked out during all the cut scenes. So stupid...who cares. The gameplay though was amazing.

ni6htmare01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 ni6htmare01
Member since 2005 • 3984 Posts

Good enough story that make sense will do it for me. On the other hand great characters are more important a lot of time. For example uncharted games don't have great story but the characters were awesome IMO (Drake, Elena and such.) yeah sometimes I ignore those journals too depends on the stage, but sometimes I use it as a break lol At the stage of my life I can't really play non-stop action games.

Szminsky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Szminsky
Member since 2005 • 1471 Posts

Do not talk bad about the witcher, I hold that franchise dearly, and you're hurting my feelings. On topic, yeah sometimes. Halo 3 was such a game. It was the only Halo game I've ever owned and played through. Couldn't stand the storytelling mixed with evil space turkey-midgets. Perhaps it's because I jumped right into the middle of the series. Resistance was another one of those franchises. Felt out of place and silly, and I couldn't give a damn about the main characters. Worse is, I got suckered into playing the whole lot on ps3.

Masculus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Masculus
Member since 2009 • 2878 Posts

Yeah, never understood the hype about Halo's story. It is shit. In Halo 3 the cutscenes barely made any sense.

Avatar image for CrownKingArthur
CrownKingArthur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By CrownKingArthur
Member since 2013 • 5262 Posts

tend to ignore the story unless its really compelling.

treedoor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 treedoor
Member since 2004 • 7648 Posts

Yes, because most story-telling in games is there to serve the purpose of interrupting you, and being annoying.

If you're going to put story-telling aspects into a game whether they be journals, cut scenes, video logs, or people talking to you, make sure the don't disturb the pace at which the player is wanting to play.

Half Life is a good example. The first game has some of the best story-telling in gaming, but in HL2 Valve decided to put a handful of instances in the game where you're forced to wait for people to talk between gameplay segments, and you can only beg that they end soon.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

Depends on the game

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 lostrib

@treedoor said:

Yes, because most story-telling in games is there to serve the purpose of interrupting you, and being annoying.

If you're going to put story-telling aspects into a game whether they be journals, cut scenes, video logs, or people talking to you, make sure the don't disturb the pace at which the player is wanting to play.

Half Life is a good example. The first game has some of the best story-telling in gaming, but in HL2 Valve decided to put a handful of instances in the game where you're forced to wait for people to talk between gameplay segments, and you can only beg that they end soon.

This, idk why some people thought this was some sort of revolution in story telling that you can control the character during basically a cutscene. It's really just annoying, most recently being BF4 at an even worse level

vitonemesis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#10 vitonemesis
Member since 2006 • 3162 Posts

No. I simply don't play them.

treedoor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 treedoor
Member since 2004 • 7648 Posts

@lostrib said:

@treedoor said:

This, idk why some people thought this was some sort of revolution in story telling that you can control the character during basically a cutscene. It's really just annoying, most recently being BF4 at an even worse level

It just seems like a step back from HL1.

I've played through HL1 probably a dozen times, and each time I do I learn more and more about what is actually going on at Black Mesa. It's just fascinating to me that the entire story can change because I take the time to listen to a random scientist speak one line of dialogue.

In HL2 they still continue that type of story-telling for most of the game, but those controllable cutscenes are just lame.

I much prefer HL1 where it's entirely up to the player how much they can immerse themselves in the game, and not the developer stripping control from the player.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 lostrib

@treedoor said:

@lostrib said:

@treedoor said:

I've played through HL1 probably a dozen times, and each time I do I learn more and more about what is actually going on at Black Mesa. It's just fascinating to me that the entire story can change because I take the time to listen to a random scientist speak one line of dialogue.

In HL2 they still continue that type of story-telling for most of the game, but those controllable cutscenes are just lame.

I much prefer HL1 where it's entirely up to the player how much they can immerse themselves in the game, and not the developer stripping control from the player.

Yeah, why let me control the character when I'm basically locked in a room until the NPCs finish talking. It just ends with the player character just jumping around and throwing crap out of boredom

Avatar image for CrownKingArthur
CrownKingArthur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By CrownKingArthur
Member since 2013 • 5262 Posts

@lostrib said:

@treedoor said:

@lostrib said:

@treedoor said:

Yeah, why let me control the character when I'm basically locked in a room until the NPCs finish talking. It just ends with the player character just jumping around and throwing crap out of boredom

yeppers

Boddicker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#14 Boddicker
Member since 2012 • 4458 Posts

In all honesty I tend to stop playing games that don't have atleast semi-compelling stories altogether. I'm at the point where gameplay can no longer fully sustain me.

Hence the reason I stay way from most Japanese games.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#15 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

Yes.

Videogame stories are atrocious majority of the time. So checking out is a preferred route.

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

I tend to not complete games with really bad stories. *glares at FFXIII*

inggrish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#17 inggrish
Member since 2005 • 10502 Posts

I usually enjoy or at least take notice of the story in a game, even when it's poor; but the exception is pretty much any FPS these days. I could not care less about the stories in FPS games.

PsychoLemons

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 PsychoLemons
Member since 2011 • 3183 Posts

I ignore it if it's not the main focus. However if the game tries too hard on the story then I will judge it.

IMAHAPYHIPPO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#19 IMAHAPYHIPPO
Member since 2004 • 4196 Posts

Coming from a writer, a bad story is torturous for me. Even a mediocre story feels like a wasted opportunity. I hope this generation of consoles will put more focus on proper storytelling than just having some programmer write a bunch of nonsense.

superbuuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#20 superbuuman
Member since 2010 • 6400 Posts

depends if the story gets too convoluted..then of course the words they use "in that world/realm" ..eg. I switched off in FF13 with LaCie, ButtCie, ICie..UCie, Cie, Cie..crap. :P

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#21 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38035 Posts

I guess so. But I really don't expect anything incredible anyway. I take it for what it is. A new story telling medium.

kinectthedots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 kinectthedots
Member since 2013 • 3383 Posts

I can't ignore stories in the games I play, it is all apart of the quality and experience for me. The only games that are an exception to this rule are fighting and racing games, and sometimes even they aren't an exception.

If you ignore parts of a game to make yourself feel better about it, it just means you are lowing your standards in order to not have to deal with the reality that the game you are playing isn't that good.

CountBleck12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#23 CountBleck12
Member since 2012 • 4726 Posts

@CrownKingArthur said:

@lostrib said:

@treedoor said:

yeppers

Couldn't agree more, I mean old games like Goldeneye 007 would at least allow you to proceed to your mission(s) even if the NPCs are talking, you can shoot them if you want too. I guess you don't see that anymore in games of today.

DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#24 DarkLink77
Member since 2004 • 32731 Posts

@IMAHAPYHIPPO said:

Coming from a writer, a bad story is torturous for me. Even a mediocre story feels like a wasted opportunity. I hope this generation of consoles will put more focus on proper storytelling than just having some programmer write a bunch of nonsense.

Pretty much this, though I can tune it out and just enjoy the gameplay. I also don't care if the game doesn't put any emphasis on its story.

Video games have a long way to go, but that's fine. If I wanted an excellent story, I'd go read a book.

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 trugs26
Member since 2004 • 7539 Posts

I generally ignore story for every game. I give it minimal attention, enough for me to progress through the game anyway.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#26  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44557 Posts

Only a few games last gen had stories so bad I couldn't stand it, MGS4 being the one that comes to mind first. I'm fine with bad stories to an extent. Japanese have a real knack for making games with nonsensical plots actually fun to play. It strikes me as odd people will bitch about Bayonetta's story when it's like did they even play the game and are totally missing the point? The problem with a game like MGS4 is it took itself way too seriously.

2Chalupas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#27 2Chalupas
Member since 2009 • 7284 Posts

I try to ignore/skip the story wherever possible, unless it's actually interesting to me in some way. In which case, I will at least watch the cut-scenes without skipping them or mentally tuning them out. I'm sure less than 50% of games are even passable to me story wise.

The most famous example I can think of ignoring a story is probably Borderlands. After a few hours in, I realized I just didn't give a damn about the NPC's or anything about it. But the gameplay itself was fairly solid and fun. I finished that game and DLC. In order to save time I pretty much skipped through every dialogue and quest log possible. Made my way through by essentially just activating the quest markers and following them.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#28 uninspiredcup  Online
Member since 2013 • 58926 Posts

Generally speaking, if it's poor story-telling like Resident Evil or Far Cry, it tends to be highly entertaining.

If it's a shitty movie game (Call Of Duy/Last of Us/Metal Gear Solid) that puts it's shitty story-telling ahead of the gameplay, it's a waste of money.

Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
Member since 2012 • 12449 Posts

Story is one of the last things I care about, even in RPGs. Don't mix up story with choices/role playing.... I mean the overall story-arch which 99% of the time sucks even in the best of RPGs.... predictable BLEH. planescape and baldurs being exceptions.

If a game relies so heavily on story and graphics it mayaswell be a cow exclusive with no substance.

DrRockso87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#30 DrRockso87
Member since 2010 • 2647 Posts

Yes. Metal Gear Solid is a prime example. I just don't like the story. Sure, MGS3 had some great characters and a good twist but that's about it. Every cutscene is just blah blah blah boring dialogue. I can't stand it. The gameplay is great but not a fan of the story so I usually just skip the cutscenes.

illmatic87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 564

#31  Edited By illmatic87
Member since 2008 • 17935 Posts

Most storytelling in videogames is poor.

I dont really ignore it, because sometimes it drives a gameplay scenario--giving it some context, or is critical in not making the player experience feel disjointed.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f26ed7cf0697
deactivated-5f26ed7cf0697

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 deactivated-5f26ed7cf0697
Member since 2002 • 7110 Posts

YES, a prime example that comes to mind is the MGS series. After MGS2 Subsistance, I quit caring about the series. It's as shame because MGS1 was great, cut scenes were tolerable at best.

Avatar image for indigenous_euphoria
indigenous_euphoria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#33 indigenous_euphoria
Member since 2013 • 255 Posts

Yes

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

I played Heavy Rain and Beyond Twice Each, take from that what you will.

BattleSpectre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 BattleSpectre
Member since 2009 • 7989 Posts

No, I don't sit there and skip through the dialogue or skip audio logs (If I find one). Sure if the story is bad it's hard to feel engaged and I find it hard to pay attention to what's being said, but I won't skip any of it.

killatwill15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#36 killatwill15
Member since 2013 • 855 Posts

max payne 3 was that game, jesus Christ, that game had an awful fucking story,

the story was so bad that im sure they wont make max payne 4, why?

because the housers don't know how to write objective character stories,

but the gameplay was the best I have ever played.

bioshock infinite was the opposite for me,

the gameplay was so rote and boring,

that I just trudged through just to find out what happens in the story.

its a shame that one of the best stories in gaming have been matched with one of the worst games ever designed

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#37 Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19543 Posts

Depends on the type of game it is. If I'm playing a visual novel or adventure game, I usually expect there to be a good story. If it's an RPG or cinematic action game, then I might half-expect a good story, depending on where the game's priorities lie. If it's a straight-up action game, then I couldn't care less if it had a good story or not.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

You know what really bugs me though..... Its when a game just tells you what happend, I don't wana just hear what happened, I wana see it, I wana play it ! Don't give me a history lesson, give me a game !

bulby_g

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 bulby_g
Member since 2005 • 1861 Posts

If the gameplay is fun. If both stink then why play it!