Do you find that you agree with Gamespots reviews?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

AM-Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 AM-Gamer
Member since 2012 • 8116 Posts

Since here at SW ratings are used for ownage, to declare one systems library of games superior to the other I am curious to know if people actually agree with Gamspots reviews. Do you find that scores they give are comparable to your taste? I personally think GS has fallen off a bit. Overrating games I don't care for and under rating those games I do.

A prime example of this was Arkham Origins which Gamespot gave a 6. Many of the reasons had to do with it not doing anything innovative, Yet that hasn't stopped COD from getting anything less then an 8 year after year after year. I thought overall it was a great game with the exception that it has some horrible game breaking bugs which Gamespot doesn't even mention in their review. It had a great story worthy of the Batman Universe along with an awesome atmosphere.

Another title I disagreed with was the most recent review of KZ SF. Its funny to me as the games in the past got much criticism for being linear and shoving a bunch of Helgast in front of you time and time again. So in this sequel they make the game much larger much less linear and take a totally new approach. I personally think its the best KZ yet but GS basically crucifies it for trying something new. They basically said the game was boring and didn't have enough enemies( really Kevin what game did you play)?

So my question is what reviews have you not agreed with or do you find GS is dead on with your opinions. I realize there is no such thing as a wrong opinion but I have come to accept my taste seem to be quite different then this websites which several years ago usually wasn't the case.

KarateeeChop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2  Edited By KarateeeChop
Member since 2010 • 4666 Posts

lol 7/10 cry more.

soulitane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 soulitane
Member since 2010 • 15091 Posts

Scores are useless and I don't bother to read their reviews for the most part.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

only when fanboys get upset about them

Karpetburnz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Karpetburnz
Member since 2013 • 532 Posts

I just go by Metacritic, I dont give a damn about the GS scores. people only seem to care about GS reviews when it suits their fanboy agenda.

treedoor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 treedoor
Member since 2004 • 7648 Posts

@soulitane said:

Scores are useless and I don't bother to read their reviews for the most part.

Avatar image for ReadingRainbow4
ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7 ReadingRainbow4
Member since 2012 • 18733 Posts

generally I don't.

It's a rare occasion when I do.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#8  Edited By lamprey263  Online
Member since 2006 • 44559 Posts

If a review score isn't what I come to expect from a game I'll read what they thought about it, sometimes just reading a review gives one perspective whether the reader will like it or not regardless of what the reviewer thought of it. About every reviewer out there gave Dead Island a bad rating but nearly every reviewer thought it was a lot of fun, just plagued with bugs, so I went out on a limb and no regrets it was a lot of fun. bugs eventually got fixed.

Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#9  Edited By Gue1
Member since 2004 • 12171 Posts

with the only person I almost always agree with his reviews and scores is Sessler. It's like he's my other half even though he sometimes blow things out of proportions and creates drama his reviews are the best and they aren't even on Metacritic!

At the end of the day I buy whatever the **** I want. I like Yakuza. A lot... There's tons of hidden greatness there.

Avatar image for deactivated-58e448fd89d82
deactivated-58e448fd89d82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 deactivated-58e448fd89d82
Member since 2010 • 4494 Posts

Scores are just someones opinion, but there are occasional games that are worthy of their scores.

Examples..

GTA Vice City

GTA San Andreas

Resident Evil 2

Avatar image for deactivated-5f3c81036be81
deactivated-5f3c81036be81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 deactivated-5f3c81036be81
Member since 2009 • 582 Posts

I think consistency is what we're all after.

I'm still left a bit confused why Battlefield 4 was praised for multiplayer but slammed for campaign and got an 8, whilst Killzone Shadow Fall received a 7 despite having the same issues.

Same can be said for Ghosts, which unlike Shadow Fall didn't receive any critism for feeling the same as previous titles, and received an 8 compared to Killzones 7.

I'm not butthurt, I doubt I'll even get Killzone, so that's not an issue, more just confused why Killzone scored a 7 compared to BF4 and Ghosts which scored 8...

Zidaneski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Zidaneski
Member since 2003 • 9266 Posts

I don't know how to explain this but I agree with GS reviews in that what they say is really accurate but I don't agree to the extent that they do. I really enjoy playing video games and I acknowledge that games aren't specifically made for me as an individual so if something happens gameplay wise that upsets me I don't start cursing at the game and say "This is stupid." Instead I will tweak my play style and adapt. This is probably why I can enjoy linear games while many do not.

drekula2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By drekula2
Member since 2012 • 3349 Posts

call of duty, despite being unwilling to change the formula, has a robust amount of multiplayer options and tons of replay value.

batman origins just doesn't offer it. and the more i think about it, most series' are no different than COD in the innovation department

Zoso813

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Zoso813
Member since 2013 • 310 Posts

Generally, no. Considering Call of Duty Ghosts is getting the same score as BF4, I can't take them seriously.

R3FURBISHED

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#16  Edited By R3FURBISHED
Member since 2008 • 12408 Posts

I usually agree yes - occasionally this or that will crop up that they didn't mention or that I didn't notice in my playthrough, but on the hole, yes, I do trust GameSpot's reviews.

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

Unless its McSheep or the other "this game merits a 6 because it had no females in it". All other reviewers are great here

drekula2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 drekula2
Member since 2012 • 3349 Posts

@silversix_ said:

Unless its McSheep or the other "this game merits a 6 because it had no females in it". All other reviewers are great here

this poster was excreted from the most lowly bowels of 4chan

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

@drekula2: wtf is 4chan

vashkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 135

User Lists: 25

#20 vashkey
Member since 2005 • 33781 Posts

Some times I do sometime I don't but I rarely feel like the logic behind them is out right wrong.

PS360Wii4eva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 PS360Wii4eva
Member since 2010 • 297 Posts

Gamespot needs glasses. They switched Beyond & Puppeteer with TLOU & Shadow Fall.

Or... They just lost their minds

Avatar image for Midnightshade29
Midnightshade29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 301

#22  Edited By Midnightshade29
Member since 2008 • 6003 Posts

I haven't trusted GS reviews for a long time. They seemed to give low scores for games and have nothing but praise in the written reivew... those types of inaccuracies I just don't get. Don't be praising a game for all these points, mention one little flaw and give it a bad or mediocre score. If most things is praise it deserves a good score.

And don't call out a game for not "innovating" when COD gets a free pass every installment.

Then there is the old gerstman firing years back...I still haven't forgotten.

There have been tons of games that got bad reviews scores here, great scores on other sites, and I loved the games.. .so yeah GS sucks for reviews.. Only here for the lunacy of Sys wars.

Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#23  Edited By Pikminmaniac
Member since 2006 • 11513 Posts

I almost never do. When you have self centered reviewers like Mcshea and Carlyn only caring about showcasing their odd opinions and not properly informing people whether or not to purchase a product the way a review is supposed to do, it's hard to agree with what's happening with reviews on this site.

adamosmaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#24  Edited By adamosmaki
Member since 2007 • 10718 Posts

some reviews i agree some i dont. On general i find them good enough. But here is the think no one should rely on reviews alone to decide if he/she is gonna buy a game either that review is from gamespot or another gaming site. Reviews serve to give you an idea about the game. Reviews along videos on youtube and user feedback should be used

PS360Wii4eva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By PS360Wii4eva
Member since 2010 • 297 Posts

Problem is the biased reviews lower the Metacritic score thus fvcking up its place in history.

We are here because we want people (the opposition) to recognize.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts

Only when it makes cows cry.

Avatar image for deactivated-59b71619573a1
deactivated-59b71619573a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By deactivated-59b71619573a1
Member since 2007 • 38222 Posts

Some I do, some I don't.

You will NEVER find a site where you agree with ALL their reviews

Avatar image for princessgomez92
PrincessGomez92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 201

User Lists: 5

#28 PrincessGomez92
Member since 2013 • 5747 Posts

Very rarely do I agree with any of their reviews.

hayato_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 hayato_
Member since 2007 • 5165 Posts
@Midnightshade29 said:

I haven't trusted GS reviews for a long time. They seemed to give low scores for games and have nothing but praise in the written reivew... those types of inaccuracies I just don't get. Don't be praising a game for all these points, mention one little flaw and give it a bad or mediocre score. If most things is praise it deserves a good score.

And don't call out a game for not "innovating" when COD gets a free pass every installment.

Then there is the old gerstman firing years back...I still haven't forgotten.

There have been tons of games that got bad reviews scores here, great scores on other sites, and I loved the games.. .so yeah GS sucks for reviews.. Only here for the lunacy of Sys wars.

This mainly. Gametrailers does great reviews which is why I go there mainly for its reviews.

I only go on GS for the fun and ownage, not if I'm trying to decide whether or not to purchase a game.

good_sk8er7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#30  Edited By good_sk8er7
Member since 2009 • 4327 Posts

I don't really agree with a lot of reviewers. I like what I like, I don't need their opinions to validate my own.

I do like looking at them though, I enjoy reading their opinions also. I just don't base mine on their's

KZ 9/10 Played for 12-13 hours straight until I completed it. :P

EDIT: I like Kevin V. Don't always agree, but usually he's pretty close in opinion to me.

AM-Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 AM-Gamer
Member since 2012 • 8116 Posts

@KarateeeChop: 1 million day 1 be mad.