Do you expect the Wii U to go out with a bang?

• 61 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45049 Posts

Wii U has some great games on the horizon like Zelda and Xenoblade, but what's next after that? Do you think Nintendo has something up their sleeve for 2016 or are they just going to ride it out until the NX hype train comes along? It would be nice for Nintendo to give us a few surprises before it all ends.

Avatar image for princeofshapeir
princeofshapeir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#2  Edited By princeofshapeir
Member since 2006 • 16652 Posts

If Nintendo doesn't announce a new Metroid at E3 for Wii U it is officially the worst Nintendo console

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

maybe

superbuuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#4 superbuuman
Member since 2010 • 6400 Posts

Hope so, if they release Xenoblade X, Starfox, Zelda U, & Fatal Frame 5,. for me mainly just need to have Xenoblade X. :P

wolverine4262

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 wolverine4262
Member since 2004 • 20832 Posts

All I really needed to justify it was bayo2. Zelda, xenoblade, and starfox are nice to look forward to. Id be most happy for a new fzero though.

Still some games already out that I need to get for it.

93BlackHawk93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#6 93BlackHawk93
Member since 2010 • 8611 Posts

Splatoon looks great too.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 225

#7  Edited By BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17790 Posts

It can't go out with a bang because it was dead on arrival. Zelda is the only hope for life, but even that is not looking very good.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#8 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

I assume Zelda will be the swan song, which would be a hell of a send off.

@princeofshapeir said:

If Nintendo doesn't announce a new Metroid at E3 for Wii U it is officially the worst Nintendo console

Prior to yesterday's announcement, I was convinced that a Metroid game was coming to Wii U in 2016, especially given Nintendo's confirmation of a new Metroid game last E3, but now I am not so sure. They would be rather dumb to have such an expensive (and, let's face it, hardware intensive) game be restricted to a limited (in terms of audience and hardware resources) platform such as the Wii U, instead of, for instance, making it the headlining launch title for whatever new console they are working on.

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19561 Posts

I think we'll see solid Wii-U titles releasing semi-regularly until 2017.

SakusEnvoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By SakusEnvoy
Member since 2009 • 4764 Posts

It looks like the Wii U will be the third Nintendo home console in a row to go out primarily with a Zelda title.

inb4uall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 inb4uall
Member since 2012 • 6564 Posts

@princeofshapeir said:

^

silkylove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#12  Edited By silkylove
Member since 2002 • 8579 Posts

IMO Wii U has been killing it for over a year now, starting with the underrated Tropical Freeze and MK8. It already has a ton of great games. Everything else is just icing at this point.

PikachuDude860

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#13 PikachuDude860
Member since 2014 • 1810 Posts

We still have these games:

• Zelda U.
  • Starfox.
  • Xenoblade Chronicles X.
  • Splatoon.
  • Devils Third.
  • Yoshi's Wolly World.

And these that can still come.

• Pokken Tournement.
  • Fatal Frame 5.
  • Monster Hunter 4 U.

And these potential games.

• Dragon Quest.
  • A Pokemon game. (Stadium style, Coliseum/XD style, Battle Revolution style, or Mystery Dungeon style.)
  • Super Mario 3D World 2.
  • Paper Mario U.
  • Animal Crossing U.
  • Metroid U.
  • Kid Icarus.
  • Fire Emblem.
  • Earthbound?

The first two lists, plus a Mario, Paper Mario, Animal Crossing and Metroid or Kid Icarus game would be enough to last until E3 2016.

If you add the Wii U's current library, it was a good system. Shame it didn't hit 20 million.

PikachuDude860

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#14 PikachuDude860
Member since 2014 • 1810 Posts

@charizard1605:

Metroid could be like Twilight Princess. Be on BOTH consoles. Last big game for one console, and the first big for another.

inb4uall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 inb4uall
Member since 2012 • 6564 Posts

@pikachudude860 said:

@charizard1605:

Metroid could be like Twilight Princess. Be on BOTH consoles. Last big game for one console, and the first big for another.

@pikachudude860 said:

• Zelda U.
  • Starfox.
  • Splatoon.
  • Devils Third.
  • Yoshi's Wolly World.

• Pokken Tournement.
  • Fatal Frame 5.
  • Monster Hunter 4 U.

• A Pokemon game. (Stadium style, Coliseum/XD style, Battle Revolution style, or Mystery Dungeon style.)
  • Paper Mario U.
  • Animal Crossing U.
  • Metroid U.
  • Fire Emblem.

The first two lists, plus a Mario, Paper Mario, Animal Crossing and Metroid or Kid Icarus game would be enough to last until E3 2016.

If you add the Wii U's current library, it was a good system. Shame it didn't hit 20 million.

This is a more realistic list. Is we got all of those things I would be happy with my Wii U purchase.

SakusEnvoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By SakusEnvoy
Member since 2009 • 4764 Posts

@pikachudude860 said:

@charizard1605:

That may be difficult if Nintendo's next console uses a different CPU architecture. We're getting into speculative territory at this point, of course, but many of the rumors peg Nintendo as going with an x86 or ARM processor next round (with AMD specifically saying they had a design win for a 2016 gaming system). If Nintendo is going to continue trying to attract third party developers, which may seem like a pointless exercise to most of us, I doubt they will want to be the last man standing with PowerPC.

Of course, many games got "remastered" in the move from PS3 to PS4, like The Last of Us, but there was over a year delay in doing so, and if that situation could be avoided I'm sure Nintendo would prefer to do so.

bunchanumbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#17 bunchanumbers
Member since 2013 • 5709 Posts

Now is the time to go out and buy everything Wii U. Their games are already becoming rare and hard to find. Pikmin is selling for above retail. Even 3rd party games if possible. A complete Wii U set will sell for crazy money years down the road. If you're smart you're buying everything with the Nintendo logo on it.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@inb4uall: That's not a realistic list, that is wishful thinking. Metroid will not straddle generations.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@SakusEnvoy said:

It looks like the Wii U will be the third Nintendo home console in a row to go out primarily with a Zelda title.

Fourth

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#20 Ballroompirate
Member since 2005 • 26695 Posts

I really don't see the Wii-U getting more (worthwhile) games after Xenoblade Chronicles X, Zelda U and Star Fox. I want to believe it will but I highly doubt it.

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#21  Edited By KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

I expect the PS4 and XB1 to kinda just die slowly and painfully. Their projected lifespan is insane, especially seeing how they had a delayed start with the PC. This should be their prime time, the XB1 and PS4 are not going to get better times for releasing good games and it's not happening. Imagine how limited and hampered these console experiences will be in a year, or two. Let alone four, that is like a gap of two generations between core gamers and console gamers, for games that are mostly about their graphics.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#22 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44534 Posts

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#23 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17655 Posts

Nintendo has been pretty bad with letting the later years of their systems lag. I wouldn't bet on it.

jdc6305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#24  Edited By jdc6305
Member since 2005 • 5058 Posts

If they don't announce anything good at E3 I might as well toss my WiiU in trash after Zelda. If they don't announce a Metroid I'm going to be super pissed. After 25 years of supporting Nintendo the WiiU may be my last Nintendo system. Depending on how they handle introducing new hardware. If they abandon WiiU owners late in it's life span I'm done.

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#25 commander
Member since 2010 • 16217 Posts

I'm still waiting on a supersale for the wii u to play monster hunter.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56017 Posts

@inb4uall said:

@pikachudude860 said:

@charizard1605:

@pikachudude860 said:

• Zelda U.
  • Starfox.
  • Splatoon.
  • Devils Third.
  • Yoshi's Wolly World.

• Pokken Tournement.
  • Fatal Frame 5.
  • Monster Hunter 4 U.

• Paper Mario U.
  • Animal Crossing U.
  • Metroid U.
  • Fire Emblem.

This is a more realistic list. Is we got all of those things I would be happy with my Wii U purchase.

If anything, we still have E3 2015 to see what Nintendo has in store for us but Pikachudud list looks promising and Splatoon is the game I'm looking forward. By the way Pikachu, I heard there's going to be a new Pokemon Rumble 2 on the way but the last one didn't fare well.

TheGuardian04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 TheGuardian04
Member since 2011 • 22248 Posts

I don't think the Wii U has its own SMG2 yet if you know what i mean. That game receives so much praise and is highly revered among gamers. Bayonetta 2 is the closest so far. I think if Nintendo plays right, Zelda U will be SMG2 of this gen. And universal praise. Retro games new metroid needs to happen too.

If were to discuss sony i didn't think they could top UC2 but they did with TLOU. We'll see if sony can do it this gen too. Maybe UC4 or bloodborne or maybe last of us 2?

Who knows maybe their other studios have bigger surprises for us.

HitmanActual

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 HitmanActual
Member since 2013 • 1351 Posts

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#29 HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 13659 Posts

I think there's a lot of life left in the Wii U.

New hardware is not the area that Nintendo need to work on. It's not the answer.

I once asked someone why he didn't hire new staff, he told me, it's not just about getting new people in, but about getting the ones you have to work at their best first. I know it's not a clear analogy, but my point is that Nintendo needs to work on improving other areas. Console hardware has never been the obstacle for MS and Sony. They know it's the games and services that make the hardware, not the other way around. Look at what they got out of the Xbox 360 and PS3, the games, the software, look at the features they've added down the road through software that were never originally intended. Nintendo have barely scratched the surface of the Wii U.

Imo Nintendo needs to work extremely hard online and with 3rd parties for a start. What is the point of a new console if these areas aren't addressed. It would end up in the same situation. Nintendo needs to stop blaming the name, the marketing and everybody else. Customers are not stupid, offer a well rounded package and they will come to you.

Lionheart08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#31 Lionheart08
Member since 2005 • 15814 Posts

@bunchanumbers said:

Now is the time to go out and buy everything Wii U. Their games are already becoming rare and hard to find. Pikmin is selling for above retail. Even 3rd party games if possible. A complete Wii U set will sell for crazy money years down the road. If you're smart you're buying everything with the Nintendo logo on it.

Gamestop randomly pulled new copies of Super Mario 3D World off shelves a few weeks ago.

Avatar image for YearoftheSnake5
YearoftheSnake5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#32 YearoftheSnake5
Member since 2005 • 9716 Posts

A 3D Metroid akin to the Prime games would be a lovely way to go out.

Solaryellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Solaryellow
Member since 2013 • 7034 Posts

@charizard1605 said:

Prior to yesterday's announcement, I was convinced that a Metroid game was coming to Wii U in 2016, especially given Nintendo's confirmation of a new Metroid game last E3, but now I am not so sure. They would be rather dumb to have such an expensive (and, let's face it, hardware intensive) game be restricted to a limited (in terms of audience and hardware resources) platform such as the Wii U, instead of, for instance, making it the headlining launch title for whatever new console they are working on.

I am pondering a few what if scenarios:

What if Nintendo does announce a new Metroid game at E3 but it is coming for the new system but what if it is coming for the Wii U? What if Zelda is delayed enough to coincide with a duel release on the Wii U and the new system much like T.P.? Nintendo leaves me scratching my head almost to the bone.

Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Bread_or_Decide
Member since 2007 • 29761 Posts

They have at least four years left to support the Wii U. What's all this going out with a bang talk.

Catalli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Catalli  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 3453 Posts

@93BlackHawk93 said:

Splatoon looks great too.

Solaryellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Solaryellow
Member since 2013 • 7034 Posts

@Bread_or_Decide

I'm not as optimistic as you seem to be. Nintendo will support the Wii U for a few years but how will it be supported? I'm willing to bet we'll see the same support as we received during the final few years of the Wii.

Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Bread_or_Decide
Member since 2007 • 29761 Posts

@Solaryellow said:

@Bread_or_Decide

I'm not as optimistic as you seem to be. Nintendo will support the Wii U for a few years but how will it be supported? I'm willing to bet we'll see the same support as we received during the final few years of the Wii.

The Wii was such a big hit they were able to sit on their butts. They can't do that this time. Now they're lagging behind and they have much more to prove. I believe we'll get the best hardcore gamer support we've seen from them in years. If the last year was any sign I think the Wii U will be a gem of a console. One we'll be talking about for many many years in the gaming community.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#38 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

"After that"

Year after year, endless numbers of complainers bring this point up and yet completely fail to realize that Nintendo barely ever talks about a game release until the year it comes out (usually at E3, or a year of time before it's release).

They don't do the Sony thing and blow their whole load of hype right at the beginning of a console's life cycle and end up failing to deliver on many of the promised titles (*cough* Agent *cough* The Last Guardian *cough*). When they know they have a viable product, they talk about it. It's why they often refuse to really talk about anything that's in development, except for giant games like Zelda U.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60695 Posts
Loading Video...

Avatar image for deactivated-5a7fcf5e55c95
deactivated-5a7fcf5e55c95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#40 deactivated-5a7fcf5e55c95
Member since 2011 • 2103 Posts

Don't get why people think the Wii U will suddenly lose its support. It'll go until, "Wii U owners are satisfied" according to Iwata. Despite being a failure it'll probably go to 2017 or 2018. 2018 possibly being a stretch and 2019 being a super stretch. Regardless, it won't be losing support this year or next year. Nintendo was smart to announce a new system to assure fans that Nintendo didn't drop out of the hardware business and went full steam ahead into the mobile market.

I expect some good announcements coming out of E3 hopefully.

mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#42 mitu123
Member since 2006 • 155290 Posts

@wolverine4262 said:

All I really needed to justify it was bayo2.

Best game on the Wii U ATM.=p I'm trying to go through it soon.

wolverine4262

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 wolverine4262
Member since 2004 • 20832 Posts

@mitu123: make it a priority.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 R4gn4r0k  Online
Member since 2004 • 46171 Posts

@charizard1605 said:

IF zelda is really the last big game before Nintendo focusses on their next console/handheld/mobiles than that would be truly pathetic.

Captainqwark10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Captainqwark10
Member since 2011 • 1170 Posts

Do you mean the Bang associated with Old Yeller or the Bang that is associated with Kennedy?

nini200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 nini200
Member since 2005 • 11484 Posts

@princeofshapeir said:

I'm inclined to agree

sonic_spark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#47 sonic_spark
Member since 2003 • 6195 Posts

There's no scenario I see where Zelda is the swan song, the last big bang, or the end of the Wii U. The Wii U will go to 2017.

At this point, these are the titles I expect to be announced:

1. A true 3D Super Mario title.

2. Metroid

If I get those, that will justify my Wii U purchase. If I do not, this will be the most disappointing Nintendo console by a longshot.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#48  Edited By Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19495 Posts

@speak_low said:

The Wii didn't even end with a bang, so why would the Wii U?

The Wii did kind of end with a bang. After years of shovelware, the Wii eventually made up for it by ending on a high note, with many of its best games coming out towards the end of its life.

Big_Pecks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#49 Big_Pecks
Member since 2010 • 5973 Posts

If 2016 is actually the last year of the Wii U then it'll probably go out with Zelda U. It explains why there's no other Mario games in development for it. Even then, Zelda U will probably get the TP treatment on the NX.

mojito1988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 mojito1988
Member since 2006 • 4726 Posts

As long as I get my Xenoblade I am happy. I want Xenoblade more than any other game for any system period.