Do you consider the wii eww a next gen console?

• 118 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Posted by TheKingIAm (985 posts) 10 months, 3 hours ago

Poll: Do you consider the wii eww a next gen console? (94 votes)

Yes 57%
No 43%

Whenever SW talks about next gen it's always about the X1 and PS4, never the wii u. I mean the wii u is only as powerful as the last gen consoles so I can see why many dont conside it a true next gen console. Generations dont only have to apply to predecessors and successors, it can also apply to the generation level of the specs.

#1 Edited by KiZZo1 (3965 posts) -

no, cause it isn't.

#2 Posted by TheKingIAm (985 posts) -
#3 Edited by Netret0120 (2007 posts) -

The wii u is next gen but has failed terribly so far.

#5 Edited by TheKingIAm (985 posts) -

@clone01: You're a moron and the wii eww sucks

#6 Posted by silversix_ (13944 posts) -

as much as i considered Wii current gen..... NO.

#7 Posted by YearoftheSnake5 (7105 posts) -

You sure do talk a lot about Wii U. You must really like it. Reminds me of someone else who was a closet fan.

#8 Edited by HaRmLeSS_RaGe (1270 posts) -

No not really. People try and say console generations are based on time only but that's bollocks. Every gen in history has had a significant performance upgrade as the primary motivator for new hardware. Just because Nintendo decide to buck that trend doesn't change things.

#9 Posted by clone01 (24412 posts) -

@clone01: You're a moron and the wii eww sucks

Nah. I don't bash pieces of plastic on an internet forum. Moron.

#10 Edited by AtariKidX (6202 posts) -

No.....WiiU is just a weaker PS3/XBOX360 after 7 years.Wii eww.....lol

#11 Edited by magicalclick (22399 posts) -

It plays next Gen Mario and Zelda, so, yes.

#12 Posted by fadersdream (3153 posts) -

Which are last gen IPs.

#13 Posted by psymon100 (6138 posts) -

Yes.

It's the weakest 8th gen console.

#14 Edited by LJS9502_basic (150085 posts) -

It is. Of that there is no doubt. If you're saying no....you don't know gaming.

#15 Posted by LJS9502_basic (150085 posts) -

@magicalclick said:

Which are last gen IPs.

I guess that puts MS two gens back then with Fora and Halo....

#16 Edited by Sword-Demon (6946 posts) -

Of course it is. to say otherwise means you don't know the definition of "generation."

#17 Posted by Sword-Demon (6946 posts) -

@magicalclick said:

Which are last gen IPs.

please tell me this is a joke...

#18 Edited by DarkLink77 (31695 posts) -

No not really. People try and say console generations are based on time only but that's bollocks. Every gen in history has had a significant performance upgrade as the primary motivator for new hardware. Just because Nintendo decide to buck that trend doesn't change things.

Are you really going to sit there and tell me that the Wii U isn't a significant upgrade over the WIi.

#19 Edited by TheKingIAm (985 posts) -

@psymon100: It's not JUST the weakest, it's as weak as the 8 year old PS3 and 360 which is absolutely pathetic no matter how you try to justify it

#20 Edited by psymon100 (6138 posts) -

@psymon100: It's not JUST the weakest, it's as weak as the 8 year old PS3 and 360 which is absolutely pathetic no matter how you try to justify it

Where did I try to justify that?

#21 Posted by freedomfreak (38829 posts) -

Yes.

It's the weakest 8th gen console.

Spot on.

#22 Posted by DarkLink77 (31695 posts) -

It's actually quite a bit more powerful than the PS3 or the 360. It also has 4 times as much RAM.

#23 Edited by HaRmLeSS_RaGe (1270 posts) -

@HaRmLeSS_RaGe said:

Are you really going to sit there and tell me that the Wii U isn't a significant upgrade over the WIi.

Right but the Wii wasn't an upgrade over the Gamecube so the Wii U is still a gen behind in spec terms.

#24 Posted by TheKingIAm (985 posts) -

@freedomfreak: If it was like the ps2 of next gen, I would agree but because it's only on par with the last gen consoles, it's last gen.

#25 Edited by LJS9502_basic (150085 posts) -

@freedomfreak: If it was like the ps2 of next gen, I would agree but because it's only on par with the last gen consoles, it's last gen.

Then you don't know gaming. Generations aren't based on specs.

#26 Posted by DarkLink77 (31695 posts) -

@DarkLink77 said:

@HaRmLeSS_RaGe said:

Right but the Wii wasn't an upgrade over the Gamecube so the Wii U is still a gen behind in spec terms.

It was, actually. It just wasn't on par with the 360 or PS3. But it was definitely a step up over the Gamecube. You wouldn't be able to run Brawl on the GCN.

#27 Posted by TheKingIAm (985 posts) -

@DarkLink77: It's not "quite a bit more powerful". It has some advantages over the last gen consoles as well as some disadvantage which cancel eachother out

#28 Posted by LJS9502_basic (150085 posts) -

@DarkLink77: It's not "quite a bit more powerful". It has some advantages over the last gen consoles as well as some disadvantage which cancel eachother out

Again...not how game generations go.

#29 Edited by psymon100 (6138 posts) -
#30 Posted by DarkLink77 (31695 posts) -

@DarkLink77: It's not "quite a bit more powerful". It has some advantages over the last gen consoles as well as some disadvantage which cancel eachother out.

Considering it can run pretty much every game at 1080p, and that it has 4 times the RAM, plus the ability to run a game on multiple screens, which is something neither the 360 nor the PS3 can do, I would say yes, it is quite a bit more powerful.

#31 Posted by TheKingIAm (985 posts) -

@LJS9502_basic: Why? Because nintengodno broke the trend with the wii?

#32 Posted by HaRmLeSS_RaGe (1270 posts) -

@HaRmLeSS_RaGe said:

@DarkLink77 said:

@HaRmLeSS_RaGe said:

It was, actually. It just wasn't on par with the 360 or PS3. But it was definitely a step up over the Gamecube. You wouldn't be able to run Brawl on the GCN.

Dude come on. It was an overclocked Gamecube with a bit more ram or something. It was nothing like the type of performance increase typically seen in every other console throughout gaming history.

#33 Posted by TheKingIAm (985 posts) -

@DarkLink77: It was a slightly upclocked gamecube, nothing more. nothing less.

#34 Edited by DarkLink77 (31695 posts) -

Well, the Dreamcast wasn't powerful compared to the PS2, Xbox, or Gamecube either, but no one says they didn't belong in the same gen.

#35 Posted by LJS9502_basic (150085 posts) -

A gaming generation occurs when new consoles come out. Nintendo has had the NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, and now the Wii U. All a different gaming generation. And all correspond to the new consoles by their competition.

It's one thing to not be a fan of a specific console maker....it's quite another to let such dislike cause one to make stupid pronouncements about generations.

#36 Posted by Heil68 (43273 posts) -

Yes it is. Generations are not determined by power.

#37 Posted by MonsieurX (29276 posts) -

TheKingIAm is still mad about the Wii U it seems.

How hard is it to understand that generations aren't determined by power?

#38 Posted by hiphops_savior (7834 posts) -

Does it offer a new experience? Is it released after the Wii? Then yes, it is a next gen console, regardless of graphics capabilities.

Whether it has new graphics or new control method, all that matters is the experience.

#39 Posted by TheKingIAm (985 posts) -

@DarkLink77: The ram is slower, the cpu is by far weaker, and the gpu is only slightly better

#40 Posted by 35cent (890 posts) -

The Wii U is a next gen system because it was released in the 8th console generation. I wouldn't included it if you're talking in terms of technical power though.

#41 Posted by cainetao11 (16655 posts) -

@magicalclick said:

Which are last gen IPs.

Same can be said about Forza and KZSF.

#42 Edited by clone01 (24412 posts) -

@magicalclick said:

Which are last gen IPs.

So are Infamous, Killzone, Dead Rising, Forza, Metal Gear Solid, etc.

#43 Posted by TheKingIAm (985 posts) -

@DarkLink77: Come on man! You know good and well that the dreamcast was a helluva lot closer to the ps2 than it was to the Sega Saturn,N64, and ps1

#44 Edited by DarkLink77 (31695 posts) -

@TheKingIAm said:

@DarkLink77: Come on man! You know good and well that the dreamcast was a helluva lot closer to the ps2 than it was to the Sega Saturn,N64, and ps1

Eh. It was more of a 1.5 generational leap than anything else. Which is basically what the Wii U is.

Both were still next gen consoles.

#45 Edited by cainetao11 (16655 posts) -

If gens are determined by power, what gen is the PC in? What gen will it be next fall, when it is again way more powerful than PS4/X1/WiiU?

#46 Posted by PrincessGomez92 (3398 posts) -

It's factually a next gen console. Get over it.

#47 Posted by LJS9502_basic (150085 posts) -

@TheKingIAm said:

Well, the Dreamcast wasn't powerful compared to the PS2, Xbox, or Gamecube either, but no one says they didn't belong in the same gen.

DC belongs in the PS2 etc generation....

#48 Posted by BPoole96 (22784 posts) -

I don't even consider it a console. A console implies games. The Wii U has none

#49 Edited by freedomfreak (38829 posts) -

#50 Posted by LJS9502_basic (150085 posts) -

You really really seem to have a fascination with Nintendo products. I suggest picking up their products and playing them.