Do we even need a desktop any more?

• 94 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

osirisx3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1 osirisx3
Member since 2012 • 2113 Posts

Pc sales have been going down hill for a while according to forbes it could be going down for years

http://www.forbes.com/sites/ericsavitz/2012/11/12/pc-sales-could-decline-for-years-to-come-analyst-says/

we now have tabets that are very powerful and even our phones can do all our daily tasks we need everyday. The samsung galaxy 4 will have 8 cores in it!

last year over 500 million smart phones were sold alone.

GLB_GADGET0511_SC.gif

I can use my tablet for everything i need to do on a computer I really don't even need my pc and i don't see why most people would anymore. PCs cost way more money and don't really offer much more in usefullness unless you need it for work.

Even microsoft has seen this thats why windows 8 is so god awful on desktops.

Will most desktop users be pc gamers in the future?

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts
PC\Laptops are still needed over laptop\phones for productivity.
PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 PurpleMan5000
Member since 2011 • 10531 Posts

I have moved my PC into the basement and hook it up to my 65" tv. It's great for some games, others not so much. I will probably get another case soon and put my old computer parts in it to play RTS games. So really, it kind of depends on what you use your PC for. I personally would say that I have a need for one.

Most PC's also cost way less money than most smart phones.

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 clyde46
Member since 2005 • 49061 Posts
Call me when I get edit and render video with the colour levels required for broadcast from an iPad.
Shottayouth13-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Shottayouth13-
Member since 2009 • 7018 Posts

This topic again.

Until tablets, hell even laptops, can be as efficient in areas such as high end gaming, 3d modeling/rendering, motion graphics etc, then desktops will always be a necessity.

Kinthalis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#6 Kinthalis
Member since 2002 • 5503 Posts

Tablets aren't there yet. Even for casual use of the itnernet, it's a pain to navigate a web page, nevermind say even post on a forum board like this. You need a keyboard and mouse to get work done.

So, ok, you hook up a keybaord and mouse to your tablet. You're still not being productive because just about every tablet out there is non multi-tasking. You have to close or suspend apps, switch over to somehting else, and then back again to get work done. 

Personally, I do a lot of video editing with family videos, TV shows and movies, and gamign footage. I also do a lot of photo editing. I also have a huge collection of music in lossless formats.

I can't work with any fo thsoe thigns efficiently ona  tablet. Not yet, and probably nto for a long time.

Now compound that with my job - I'm a programmer, I need a powerful machine, and a lot of screen real state. Tablets cannot give me that. Even laptops cannot give me exactly what I need.

That doesn't mean desktops won't eventually become irrelevant. They will. A LONG time from now. Tablets will be so powerful that you cna just wirelessly hook them up to dummy terminals to do actual work as well as play games, etc. And home server machines, or cloud bases systems will handle the ehavy lifting for anythign tablets can't handle.

However, if you are under the impresison that this will happen before consoles are LONG dead though, hoping it's some sort of "gotcha" or some such nosnense, then you are beyond stupid. Even though PC desktop sales are slipping a bit, we're tlkaing about tiny, tiny percentage out of HUGE shipments world-wide. There are more desktop PC's sold in a SINGLE QUARTER than PS3's, and Xbox 360's have sold COMBINED during the ENTIRE PAST 7 YEARS.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

Perhaps someday when I'm retired and don't have to work for a living. Until then, I still need desktop PCs.

osirisx3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 osirisx3

Call me when I get edit and render video with the colour levels required for broadcast from an iPad. clyde46

as i said in the first pc unless its for work then its not needed. You can get a chinese tablet with a super HD screen same as ipad for less then 300$. once the processing is there it could also take some of that market.

Basinboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#9 Basinboy
Member since 2003 • 14495 Posts

Demand for PCs is slowing due to diminished returns.  Productivity is still at its highest when computers are used in a desktop setting (generally, and assuming you don't have games installed :P )

Kinthalis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#10 Kinthalis
Member since 2002 • 5503 Posts

Demand for PCs is slowing due to diminished returns.  Productivity is still at its highest when computers are used in a desktop setting (generally, and assuming you don't have games installed :P )

Basinboy

This is another thing. The market is saturated. That it still manages to ship hundreds of millions of machines even as saturated as the market is, well,t hat's amazing. Name ANYTHING that does that good.

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 clyde46

[QUOTE="clyde46"]Call me when I get edit and render video with the colour levels required for broadcast from an iPad. osirisx3

as i said in the first pc unless its for work then its not needed. You can get a chinese tablet with a super HD screen same as ipad for less then 300$. once the processing is there it could also take some of that market.

Why do I want some Chinese rip off? And do you expect me to edit video with a touch screen?
osirisx3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 osirisx3

[QUOTE="osirisx3"]

[QUOTE="clyde46"]Call me when I get edit and render video with the colour levels required for broadcast from an iPad. clyde46

Why do I want some Chinese rip off? And do you expect me to edit video with a touch screen?

connect a keyboard and mouse

You would want a chinese tablet if you were a smart shopper. Don't even bother saying "chinese products are bad" you know why? Because almost everything you have is most likly made in China. People love apple and samsung...guess where they are made?

Avatar image for deactivated-59b71619573a1
deactivated-59b71619573a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 deactivated-59b71619573a1
Member since 2007 • 38222 Posts

meh 2/10

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

Tablets are fine for casual work (browsing, email, note), but not great for other things and especially multitasking

osirisx3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 osirisx3

Tablets are fine for casual work (browsing, email, note), but not great for other things and especially multitasking

lostrib

they are fine for that, none sense

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 lostrib

[QUOTE="lostrib"]

osirisx3

Uh no they arent, the lack the screen space and adequate hardware and software for many kinds of work.

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 MonsieurX

[QUOTE="lostrib"]

osirisx3

Typing a long text\document on a tablet is painful :|
clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 clyde46

[QUOTE="clyde46"][QUOTE="osirisx3"]

osirisx3

You would want a chinese tablet if you were a smart shopper. Don't even bother saying "chinese products are bad" you know why? Because almost everything you have is most likly made in China. People love apple and samsung...guess where they are made?

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 lostrib

[QUOTE="clyde46"][QUOTE="osirisx3"]

osirisx3

Unless they want decent software and hardware support

osirisx3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 osirisx3

[QUOTE="osirisx3"]

[QUOTE="clyde46"] Why do I want some Chinese rip off? And do you expect me to edit video with a touch screen?clyde46

lol-face.jpg

lightleggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 65

#21 lightleggy
Member since 2008 • 16090 Posts
are you a sales rep for tablets inc or something? tablets will never replace desktop PCs because of utility and because some people (such as myself) hate tablets and anything wtih a freaking touch screen.
AlexKidd5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 AlexKidd5000
Member since 2005 • 3103 Posts
I hate smartphones and tablets. I do not want to use a stinkin phone or tablet to watch youtube, or play games, or listen to music, or any other general use. Touch screens suck, and they are way too small. I will always have a desktop PC to use for everything. Smartphones and tablets are expensive as all hell.
AlexKidd5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 AlexKidd5000
[QUOTE="lightleggy"]are you a sales rep for tablets inc or something? tablets will never replace desktop PCs because of utility and because some people (such as myself) hate tablets and anything wtih a freaking touch screen.

And I love the completely open "do whatever the hell you want with it" nature of a self-built desktop PC that NO phone or tablet will ever have.
osirisx3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 osirisx3

[QUOTE="lightleggy"]are you a sales rep for tablets inc or something? tablets will never replace desktop PCs because of utility and because some people (such as myself) hate tablets and anything wtih a freaking touch screen.AlexKidd5000
And I love the completely open "do whatever the hell you want with it" nature of a self-built desktop PC that NO phone or tablet will ever have.

most people dont want to do it them selfs so it wont matter to the general public. Its not just phones and tablets its also things like smart tvs and mini computers that could take away from the pc market share. Hell even googles new chrome books run really good and they cost like 200$.

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 PurpleMan5000

are you a sales rep for tablets inc or something? tablets will never replace desktop PCs because of utility and because some people (such as myself) hate tablets and anything wtih a freaking touch screen.lightleggy

Even handhelds? :o

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 PurpleMan5000
most people dont want to do it them selfs so it wont matter to the general public. Its not just phones and tablets its also things like smart tvs and mini computers that could take away from the pc market share. Hell even googles new chrome books run really good and they cost like 200$.osirisx3
Most people aren't gamers, either.
LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#27 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

I'm not going to be able to play Bioshock Infinite using a Tablet.

Gallowhand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

User Lists: 9

#28 Gallowhand
Member since 2013 • 697 Posts

we now have tabets that are very powerful and even our phones can do all our daily tasks we need everyday. The samsung galaxy 4 will have 8 cores in it!

last year over 500 million smart phones were sold alone.

I can use my tablet for everything i need to do on a computer I really don't even need my pc and i don't see why most people would anymore. PCs cost way more money and don't really offer much more in usefullness unless you need it for work.

Even microsoft has seen this thats why windows 8 is so god awful on desktops.

osirisx3

Has it occurred to you that different people use their computers for different things, not related to 'work'?  Tablets and phones are largely 'consumer' devices, decent for 'consuming' content, but not creating content.

My hobbies include writing stories and digital artwork - things I would find very difficult to do on a tablet, as I touch-type and use a graphics tablet.  I don't consider those as 'work'.  Also, I have a very large music collection (currently over 60Gb) on my hard drive which I dip into at random every day.  Oh, and I play PC games.  Lots of them.  My Steam folder is currently sitting at 330Gb and I only have half of my Steam library installed.  My GOG folder is 200Gb, with most of those games not installed.  Most of my disc copies of games aren't installed at all.  My folder for game patches exceeds 10Gb, and game mods nearly 20Gb.  And I have over 30Gb of personal files (mostly my artwork).  In short, I need a 1Tb drive and decent RAM/processing power just for everyday stuff, which I'm not going to find on a tablet, and certainly not on a phone.

Also I'm at home most of the time, so I don't need a 'portable' device.  Hence it would be pointless getting a powerful (and costly) laptop to fulfill these functions.  A desktop PC is more cost-effective, suits all of my needs just fine, and will do so for the foreseeable future, complemented by home consoles.  My point is that everyone is different, and while tablet/phone computing is ideal for some, it's not ideal for all, so PCs will continue to be sold even if the market shrinks because there will still be a demand for them.

StormyJoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 StormyJoe
Member since 2011 • 7806 Posts

This topic again.

Until tablets, hell even laptops, can be as efficient in areas such as high end gaming, 3d modeling/rendering, motion graphics etc, then desktops will always be a necessity.

Shottayouth13-

There is a difference between the microstation, aka "PC", being needed in the business world and the pedestrian, home user needing a computer. The former will always be needed, the latter not so much.

Tessellation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Tessellation
Member since 2009 • 9297 Posts
Call me when I get edit and render video with the colour levels required for broadcast from an iPad. clyde46
this
Quad4Life

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Quad4Life
Member since 2013 • 776 Posts

All we will need are Quads in the future

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 MonsieurX

Quad4Life

YES!

mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#33 mitu123
Member since 2006 • 155290 Posts

osirisx3

For the best possible gaming experience they will be...

AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 AmazonTreeBoa
Member since 2011 • 16745 Posts
Well gaming on a tablet sucks compared to gaming on a console. Gaming on a console sucks compared to gaming on a PC.If I would rather have a console over a tablet for gaming, WTF makes you think I would take a tablet over a PC for gaming. And there are still plenty of things i can do on a PC that I can't do on a tablet.
lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 lostrib

[QUOTE="osirisx3"]

mitu123

Where would PC gamers move besides desktops? 

timbers_WSU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#36 timbers_WSU
Member since 2012 • 6076 Posts

No. I already have a notebook and laptop and just got another laptop fro Christmas. The phone has the internet, the 360 and Wii has the internet, getting a desk top is a waste of money.

Martin_G_N

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Martin_G_N
Member since 2006 • 2124 Posts

I think every household need to have a desktop PC since it is more reliable and does'nt break as easy as a laptop or a tablet. But when people buy a PC these days they usually choose a laptop. Laptops these days are powerfull enough for everyday needs, and it's probably what most people uses for gaming as well.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 lostrib

No. I already have a notebook and laptop and just got another laptop fro Christmas. The phone has the internet, the 360 and Wii has the internet, getting a desk top is a waste of money.

timbers_WSU

Unless you need it for work, or wanting to use it for gaming

AlexKidd5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 AlexKidd5000

I think every household need to have a desktop PC since it is more reliable and does'nt break as easy as a laptop or a tablet. But when people buy a PC these days they usually choose a laptop. Laptops these days are powerfull enough for everyday needs, and it's probably what most people uses for gaming as well.

Martin_G_N
The only downside of laptops is that they are 3 times more expensive than desktops.
lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 lostrib

[QUOTE="Martin_G_N"]

AlexKidd5000

The only downside of laptops is that they are 3 times more expensive than desktops.

and worse cooling/noise

AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 AmazonTreeBoa
Member since 2011 • 16745 Posts

I think every household need to have a desktop PC since it is more reliable and does'nt break as easy as a laptop or a tablet.Martin_G_N

And if my PC breaks, I can fix it myself, I can't do that with a tablet.

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 clyde46

Quad4Life
Can you edit video on a PS4?
Ly_the_Fairy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Ly_the_Fairy
Member since 2011 • 8541 Posts

I need a desktop to be productive, and I need it for gaming.

I've got a laptop that I tried to use for school, but I just dislike laptop keyboards, and the track pads. It makes doing certain tasks a bit harder, and carrying around mice and such diminishes the allure of using one outside of my house anyways.

I've also got a tablet, and I haven't turned it on in a couple months. The screen size might be acceptable to some, but when I go back to the 24" widescreen on my desktop I feel like royalty :P

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 lostrib

[QUOTE="Quad4Life"]

clyde46

Of course, with that high bandwith GDDR5

StormyJoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 StormyJoe
Member since 2011 • 7806 Posts

[QUOTE="osirisx3"]

mitu123

LOL. PC Gaming sucks.

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 clyde46

timbers_WSU
If you are only using a PC to browse the net then a laptop is fine. Trying to do anything productive on a laptop can get annoying.
Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
Member since 2012 • 12449 Posts

[QUOTE="clyde46"]Call me when I get edit and render video with the colour levels required for broadcast from an iPad. osirisx3

A tablet will never have the power of a relevant aged destop. moores law. Let me know when your "chinese tablet" plays all my PC games, does programming and adobe as well as my desktop. Let me know when a tablet gives me 3840 x 2160 screen estate. or let me know when tablets can actually type properly for crap and have an actual decent replacement to mouse and keyboard (HINT, nothing still matches a full size mouse and keyboard to this day) So yea, we do still need desktops and laptops, those of us that actually take computers seriously. Meanwhile, all the kids being brought up on tablets are going to be screwed for computer science.
blackace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 blackace
Member since 2002 • 23576 Posts
I still use my PC for things, but it's true that I find myself using my IPad or Smartphone for some things I would do on my PC. Was trying to find an address while driving with my wife and she reminded me that I have a Smart Phone (Samsung Galaxy II S) with unlimited web. A few clicks later we found out that the restaurant we wanted to go to didn't exist in our city (or state for that matter).
Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
Member since 2012 • 12449 Posts
I still use my PC for things, but it's true that I find myself using my IPad or Smartphone for some things I would do on my PC. Was trying to find an address while driving with my wife and she reminded me that I have a Smart Phone (Samsung Galaxy II S) with unlimited web. A few clicks later we found out that the restaurant we wanted to go to didn't exist in our city (or state for that matter). blackace
Indeed true, but in reality a PC would never of helped you in that situation anyway. I do similar things. But when I am at home... nothing beats a 16GB PC with 20 odd google chrome tabs open. Tablets/smartphones multitasking is aweful still.
Tessellation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Tessellation
Member since 2009 • 9297 Posts
[QUOTE="Quad4Life"]

clyde46

i am really interested to see these 1.6 cores handling video without ''helper cores''