Do we consider Portal a better series than LOU and Unch?

• 79 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Phazevariance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51 Phazevariance
Member since 2003 • 12356 Posts

The Portal series has better puzzles and overall are better games. ND has good games too but they focus on graphics over gameplay in most of them, so while gameplay is average, graphcis are good. As for jaggies, it almsot made it impossible for me to play TLOU because there were just so many jaggies that all the edges everywhere looked like they were jiggling when you move. Add that to a projector sized screen and it looks terrible. I'm sure on a 720 32" tv it probably would look better though.

Avatar image for megaspiderweb09
megaspiderweb09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#52  Edited By megaspiderweb09
Member since 2009 • 3686 Posts

Here we go again, lets remove the comparison of an entirely product and say this one is better because of one segment of the game. Look TC, some people like games to be systems and just that while some look for much more in their products. If you enjoy systems, then go play chess, it has no story and you can play it over n over again or if i am being sacarstic go to work in a factory, that game is much more fun

Mozelleple112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#53 Mozelleple112
Member since 2011 • 11244 Posts

Nope. Portal is amazing, but not Uncharted/TLOU class.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#54 uninspiredcup  Online
Member since 2013 • 58847 Posts

@zeeshanhaider said:

@seanmcloughlin said:

@zeeshanhaider said:

You are doing a blasphemy TC. Comparing Valve to ND is an insult to Valve and gaming.

Why exactly?

Your question is a blasphemy. What did ND do compare to Valve? Copy/Paste Mario? QTE fest onrails linear experience riddled UC? Every single Vavlve product bring something new to the table and is more fun. Valve's impact on a gaming industry is much bigger than ND's or for that matter most studio's will ever be.

Excellent point my chum.

TheTruthIsREAL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 TheTruthIsREAL
Member since 2013 • 813 Posts

@uninspiredcup: portal sucks tho. Naughty Dog makes interesting games. It definitely outshines that PoS portal.

cooolio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 cooolio
Member since 2013 • 586 Posts

I hope everyone knows that prey was using portals in gameplay before Portal itself.

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

I consider Portal as good and fun as KZ and we all know how good n fun KZ is... Uc is also crappy but dat TLOU, TLOU is bwass

cooolio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 cooolio

@uninspiredcup said:

@zeeshanhaider said:

@seanmcloughlin said:

@zeeshanhaider said:

You are doing a blasphemy TC. Comparing Valve to ND is an insult to Valve and gaming.

Why exactly?

Your question is a blasphemy. What did ND do compare to Valve? Copy/Paste Mario? QTE fest onrails linear experience riddled UC? Every single Vavlve product bring something new to the table and is more fun. Valve's impact on a gaming industry is much bigger than ND's or for that matter most studio's will ever be.

Excellent point my chum.

I do not see how he had a good point. I never played Uncharted 1 but in what way is 2 or 3 an on rails fest? Maybe when you are fighting those guys that are bigger then you, but the rest of the game, no. I have never played a Valve game, so I will not comment on them. However, you can state an opinion and agree with one, but it is different when said opinion is contains a statement that holds no truth.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By uninspiredcup  Online

@cooolio said:

I hope everyone knows that prey was using portals in gameplay before Portal itself.

My friend portals have existed since the days of Doom and pre-doom. The difference is... non of these games, including prey, used them as an puzzle mechanic. My chumling, it's worth noting as well, Portal 2 also features gravity and innovative fluid based puzzles. As well as an innovative coop based puzzle campaign. I think we can all agree, it's a superior and highly unique title.

cooolio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By cooolio

@zeeshanhaider said:

@seanmcloughlin said:

@zeeshanhaider said:

Why exactly?

I never played Uncharted 1 but in what way is 2 or 3 an on rails fest? Maybe when you are fighting those guys that are bigger then you, but the rest of the game, no. I have never played a Valve game, so I will not comment on them. However, you can state an opinion , but it is different when said opinion is contains a statement that holds no truth. And you say they pasted and copied Mario? Yes, Mario has platforming. So what? Come on. Do better.

coasterguy65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#61 coasterguy65
Member since 2005 • 7133 Posts

@millerlight89 said:

@coasterguy65 said:

I'd pick Portal and Portal 2 over Last of Us and Uncharted 3 any day. Uncharted 2 is the only fairly recent ND game that give the Portal series a run for it's money.

If that is your birth year, it makes sense.

Lol...What the hell does birth year have to do with anything? Because you figure if someone didn't start gaming during the PS2 era they don't get ND games or something?

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 uninspiredcup  Online

A point, a very important point, is the universal appeal of portal. It's very much like a pixar movie, a child, an adult, a female, a male, any race or religions can enjoy it and appreciate it. Uncharted 2 doesn't do this. Nor LOU. They are very much macho man randy savage titles designed for man boys.

millerlight89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#63 millerlight89
Member since 2007 • 18658 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:

A point, a very important point, is the universal appeal of portal. It's very much like a pixar movie, a child, an adult, a female, a male, any race or religions can enjoy it and appreciate it. Uncharted 2 doesn't do this. Nor LOU. They are very much macho man randy savage titles designed for man boys.

I'll give you Uncarted, but you must not have played TLOU. Joel was a very fleshed out character that was in no way a macho man. He is quite vulnerable.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By uninspiredcup  Online

My friend, it's a Viggo Mortensen in "the road" ripoff. Naughty Dog don't do original.

millerlight89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#65  Edited By millerlight89
Member since 2007 • 18658 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:

My friend, it's a Viggo Mortensen in "the road" ripoff. Naughty Dog don't do original.

Way to totally change the subject matter. Proof you have nothing to say.

PinkieWinkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 PinkieWinkie
Member since 2006 • 1454 Posts

@uninspiredcup: its pretty obvious you've never played Uncharted or Tlou. I bet if they were PC exclusive you would give them nothing but praise.

Meinhard1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 Meinhard1
Member since 2010 • 6790 Posts

Obviously personal preference plays a big role. They're all excellent.

But the Portal franchise is just ... I don't know... too good to be true. Really an entirely different league.

hippiesanta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#68 hippiesanta
Member since 2005 • 10301 Posts

ummm .....................

pOrTal is a comedy .... so N.O

zeeshanhaider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By zeeshanhaider
Member since 2004 • 5524 Posts

@cooolio said:

@uninspiredcup said:

@zeeshanhaider said:

@seanmcloughlin said:

@zeeshanhaider said:

Why exactly?

Excellent point my chum.

I do not see how he had a good point. I never played Uncharted 1 but in what way is 2 or 3 an on rails fest? Maybe when you are fighting those guys that are bigger then you, but the rest of the game, no. I have never played a Valve game, so I will not comment on them. However, you can state an opinion and agree with one, but it is different when said opinion is contains a statement that holds no truth.

I'm sick and tired of repeating how UC is an onrails fest. Sony's own advertising calling UC2 a movie instead of a game focussing on onrails segments speak volumes about it.

Cyberdot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 Cyberdot
Member since 2013 • 3928 Posts

Portal, no doubt, simply because of the gameplay.

Naughty Dog games are often boring by running through levels without much enemies around, watch cutscenes and you would have to understand the story. More like "movie" games, but I do enjoy them though. Nice to play after playing other games for a change. I definitely want to keep those kind of games in the industry, just not too many.

I got TLOU from Christmas and yeah, the AI is appalling. When I was trying to use stealth and just sneak gently, and Ellie just ran like a maniac in front of me. I mean stay the **** down otherwise enemies may hear and spot me because of that little bitch. Yeah, the game trolled me.

PinkieWinkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 PinkieWinkie

@zeeshanhaider: lol, its not even close to an on rails fest. Have you ever played it? Yes there are a few interactive cut scenes...they are few and far between. Why don't you try playing the game so the basis of your argument isn't Sonys advertising.

zeeshanhaider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By zeeshanhaider
Member since 2004 • 5524 Posts

@PinkieWinkie said:

@zeeshanhaider: lol, its not even close to an on rails fest. Have you ever played it? Yes there are a few interactive cut scenes...they are few and far between. Why don't you try playing the game so the basis of your argument isn't Sonys advertising.

I have seen it being played from start to finish. Take out all the cutscenes and onrails sections, there won't be any gameplay left to write about.

PinkieWinkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 PinkieWinkie

@zeeshanhaider: lol alright man. You keep thinking that. Nobody can take your opinion seriously if you haven't even played the game.

happyduds77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By happyduds77
Member since 2012 • 1688 Posts

I enjoy playing The Last Of Us and the Uncharted series more than what valve has ever made.

StriateEnd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By StriateEnd
Member since 2013 • 521 Posts

@zeeshanhaider said:

@rosko123 said:

@zeeshanhaider: I agree that Valves impact on the industry is far greater than Naughty Dogs but you say ND's games are linear, so are all of valves games...

Being linear isn't the problem. Linear QTE fest 'Press X to win' Onrails experience is which is the 90% of what ND produces.

Lol. Oh lawdy. Crash Bandicoot, Jak and Daxter, TLOU and Uncharted are "press x to win, onrails" video games??? Silly hater you probably haven't played any of them. Jesus, that's like the only excuse ND haters come up with now.

Anyways, I enjoyed Portal 2 as much as Uncharted 2/3 and TLOU. Very different games so why even compare?!

Dire_Weasel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#76 Dire_Weasel
Member since 2002 • 16681 Posts

Portal was one of the true 10/10 perfect gaming experiences, in my opinion. Amazing game design, perfect pacing, perfect difficulty and it was genuinely funny, which is something that many games attempt but few rarely succeed at.

Portal 2 was great, better than I expected, honestly, but it's difficult to create a sequel to perfection. In any case, I was highly satisfied by it, no regrets for a full-price purchase at all.

Not sure why we're bringing up TLoU or Uncharted here. They're excellent games but they don't share much in common besides high review scores.

rosko123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 rosko123
Member since 2006 • 556 Posts
@StriateEnd said:

@zeeshanhaider said:

@rosko123 said:

@zeeshanhaider: I agree that Valves impact on the industry is far greater than Naughty Dogs but you say ND's games are linear, so are all of valves games...

Being linear isn't the problem. Linear QTE fest 'Press X to win' Onrails experience is which is the 90% of what ND produces.

Lol. Oh lawdy. Crash Bandicoot, Jak and Daxter, TLOU and Uncharted are "press x to win, onrails" video games??? Silly hater you probably haven't played any of them. Jesus, that's like the only excuse ND haters come up with now.

Anyways, I enjoyed Portal 2 as much as Uncharted 2/3 and TLOU. Very different games so why even compare?!

Because these PC elitists can't stand the fact that consoles have amazing games they can't play on their machines. If that guys going to say TLOU is a "press x to win" game then portal (which I love too) is a point and click adventure in a 3D environment where you have to pixel hunt (look for the only white surfaces in the room) with little to no punishment for dying it's not if you win but when. Also TC called TLOU a frat boy shoot em' up in another thread leading me to believe he hasn't even played the game.

cooolio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By cooolio

@zeeshanhaider said:

@cooolio said:

@uninspiredcup said:

@zeeshanhaider said:

@seanmcloughlin said:

@zeeshanhaider said:

Why exactly?

Excellent point my chum.

I'm sick and tired of repeating how UC is an onrails fest. Sony's own advertising calling UC2 a movie instead of a game focussing on onrails segments speak volumes about it.

Even though they said that, i though on rails shooters were games like dead space extraction and house of the dead overkill? And i meant to say that i do not see how it is a QTE fest either except during the example i mentioned after asking how it was a rail fest.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#79 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:

originality wasn't exactly your complaint about Naughty Dog's characters, and to be fair to ND, The Last of Us is an in house ND creation. Portal and a lot of its design philosophy/characters/pacing is more a product of Kim Swift who worked for Valve on that one game.

Valve proper hasn't actually made a proper new ip on their own outside of Half Life, and Half Life is aping plenty of note worthy works in literature/science fiction. Most consistently it loves aping 1984. Regardless of these things it wouldn't change the part where Joel is actually very well done character.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#80 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

Portal 2 is an outstanding experience. Especially in co-op.