Do trophies/achievements encourage you more to get a multiplat on PS3/360?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by LastRambo341 (8767 posts) -

Rather on PC/WiiU/Mac despite if all versions are exactly the same or the PC/WiiU/Mac versions are superior

Real talk

#2 Posted by R3FURBISHED (10811 posts) -
Achievements only encourage me to do extra things in a game that probably wouldn't do otherwise, they do not dictate the platform I buy a game on.
#3 Posted by funsohng (28962 posts) -
No, I give no flying f*ck about trophies or achievements, and I find people who do seriously very pathetic.
#4 Posted by Rockman999 (7232 posts) -

Actually Party Chat is what pushes me to get my games on the 360 instead of the PC or PS3 most of the time.

#5 Posted by LastRambo341 (8767 posts) -
Oh my God :? some people are really aggressive here Sheesh....no need to be so judgmental and mad
#6 Posted by ultraking (6904 posts) -
[QUOTE="LastRambo341"]Oh my God :? some people are really aggressive here Sheesh....no need to be so judgmental and mad

theres been like 3 replys. sheesh, wait a little bit
#7 Posted by funsohng (28962 posts) -
[QUOTE="LastRambo341"]Oh my God :? some people are really aggressive here Sheesh....no need to be so judgmental and mad

I'm the only one who's remotely "mad" here, and I don't consider myself mad. There are people who are just ridiculously obsessed with trophies and achievements. Like how they "won't buy games if they don't have trophies" or how "they don't buy games with hard achievements because they know they won't get it", etc. I just find those kind of people pathetic. I platinum'ed a game once, I'm not entirely opposed to the concept, in fact, I endorse it as a method to prolong a game's life, I'm just opposed to the idea your gaming style and life being dictated by the trophy and achievement system. Because believe me, there are people who are like that. [spoiler] also, I have to use the word "f*ck" or "sex" for 3 more days because I lost SW bets, so that's why I sound a bit.... fiesty [/spoiler]
#8 Posted by SuperNovaftw (2500 posts) -

Steam also has achievments dumbass.

#9 Posted by ElvesOnEcstasy (17 posts) -

Trophies mean absolutely nothing to me, so no.

#10 Posted by LastRambo341 (8767 posts) -

SuperNovaftw
:? Ok....?
#11 Posted by SuperNovaftw (2500 posts) -
[QUOTE="SuperNovaftw"]

LastRambo341

Your whole thread is utterly pointless. You talk about acheivements and trophys on ps3/xbox360 as if they make multiplats consoles superior. They aren't superior since steam also has achievements TF2 has around 400 achievments probably more. So in conclusion trophys/achievments on consoles don't make a multiplatform game superior on consoles. Thank you for listening Thor.
#12 Posted by toast_burner (22526 posts) -

So would I take a meaningless number over better graphics, controls and framerate?

#13 Posted by silversix_ (15837 posts) -
hahaha random numbers? NO.
#14 Posted by LastRambo341 (8767 posts) -
[QUOTE="LastRambo341"][QUOTE="SuperNovaftw"]

SuperNovaftw

Your whole thread is utterly pointless. You talk about acheivements and trophys on ps3/xbox360 as if they make multiplats consoles superior. They aren't superior since steam also has achievements TF2 has around 400 achievments probably more. So in conclusion trophys/achievments on consoles don't make a multiplatform game superior on consoles. Thank you for listening Thor.

I never said what is better, its just a question :?
#15 Posted by mccoyca112 (5433 posts) -

No.

#16 Posted by milannoir (1570 posts) -

No, I give no flying f*ck about trophies or achievements, and I find people who do seriously very pathetic.funsohng

My thoughts exactly. If you need achievements/trophies to make you do something in particular in a game, then you have no right to make fun of grinding mechanics in MMos, since it amounts to the same thing in the end, i.e very boring game mechanics.

#17 Posted by LastRambo341 (8767 posts) -
Some people are bullies, I guess :P
#18 Posted by locopatho (20705 posts) -
Wouldn't be enough by themselves, but if all else is equal I'd prefer achievements over no achievements.
#19 Posted by hippiesanta (9984 posts) -
those who say no.... do you say it because you are a bad gamer?
#20 Posted by mems_1224 (48365 posts) -
Any games that have good multiplayer or that I only want to rent I play on 360, everything else on PC.
#21 Posted by TheEpicGoat (2006 posts) -

I'm pretty sure Steam has achievements.

#22 Posted by Michael0134567 (28651 posts) -

No, I've bought the Wii edition of some games over the 360 edition.

#23 Posted by LastRambo341 (8767 posts) -
I think some people are missing the point.... ASSUMING all versions are the same
#24 Posted by TheEroica (14388 posts) -

yes... but it's not my main reasons... The controller is probably the biggest reason. Dualshock is shiit.

#25 Posted by 2Chalupas (5273 posts) -

I'm pretty sure Steam has achievements.

TheEpicGoat

But not nearly in all games, and I could be wrong but *NO* EA games have steam achievements. Also some PC games have XBOX Live achievements instead of steam achievements - but there are many games that have no achievements at all, including EA's entire catalogue. 

I do think it would be pretty stupid to choose a console version for achievements if you could be "maxing out" that game on PC - at that point achievements/trophies shouldn't matter. In my case, my PC is not maxing out anything. So I am not really making that choice. However at this point in the gen, I'm defintely saving some games for PC and skipping them on consoes - and that's going to be true whether they have achievements on PC or not.

#26 Posted by Heil68 (46755 posts) -
Trophies obviously are more rewarding than points.
#27 Posted by rjdofu (9171 posts) -
lol no, it's quite fun to get platinum & sh!t, but that's not enough for me to get an inferior version.
#28 Posted by LastRambo341 (8767 posts) -
lol no, it's quite fun to get platinum & sh!t, but that's not enough for me to get an inferior version.rjdofu
Than you're not a real gamer :p
#29 Posted by HalcyonScarlet (5136 posts) -

Not really, they do push me to play on harder difficulties and try challenges I wouldn't have before, even though i'm not that excited about my end overall achievement score.

So they're a good thing.

But other things make me decide the platform, primarily controls and genre. Like is it the sort of game i'd play on the PC, and that goes for consoles. Like I don't play adventure games and strategy games on a console, just seems daft to me.

Case in point, C&C 3 I chose the PC version.

#30 Posted by rjdofu (9171 posts) -
[QUOTE="rjdofu"]lol no, it's quite fun to get platinum & sh!t, but that's not enough for me to get an inferior version.LastRambo341
Than you're not a real gamer :p

Finishing every game purchased on highest difficulty is enough for me, and I kinda consider myself a pretty freaking real gamer. Btw, steam has achievement too.
#31 Posted by Miroku32 (8666 posts) -
Never. I prefer to play the superior version on PC rather than the inferior version on consoles.
#32 Posted by AmazonTreeBoa (16745 posts) -
All multiplats are bought for PC unless it is a game my kids want, then it is bought for PS3. Trophies/achievements are a joke to me that I pay no attention to. If they were removed from games, I wouldn't even notice.
#33 Posted by cainetao11 (19196 posts) -
No. I try to keep series together in my collection. Like Tuesday I will be buying MGR for PS3 as I have all those on PS3, and Crysis 3 on 360 as I have 2 on it.
#34 Posted by Gue1 (11196 posts) -

nope. But it encourage me to play the games I buy a bit more.

#35 Posted by ArchoNils2 (6238 posts) -

lol no, I usually get them on PC and with multiplats that aren't on PC I usually get the PS3 (or WiiU right now) version.

Oh also btw steam has achievments as well. But I still only care about them for games I really like. I'll probably going to plat Ni No Kuni because I want to get everything out of it as an example

#36 Posted by Ricardomz (2715 posts) -

They did once... Not anymore.

#37 Posted by Quick-Time (610 posts) -
No. Not really. They kind of annoy me because I don't have time to get them all.
#38 Posted by The_Game21x (26342 posts) -

I stopped seriously caring about achievements/trophies/whatever years ago. Now I get all my multiplats on the PC regardless. Lower prices, better performance. A win/win in my book. :)

#39 Posted by whiskeystrike (12096 posts) -

They used to but the magic has worn off.

If they were actual digital checklists for completionists I would be a little more appreciative but so many of them require some really stupid tasks. 

Read the OP wrong, meh

#40 Posted by RoOodriGowW (3309 posts) -

Maybe you should have asked straightforwardly if people who onws both consoles choose which version they'll get based solely on what they'd rather get , trophies or achievements.Was that what you meant wasn't it?

If so , they do , they do because i have so few points on the 360 that i don't fell compelled to build them up , while one the ps3 i have 4k trophies , so i'd rather keep working on those , even if the multiplat is slightly "inferior" ,whereas i use my 360 for exclusives.

#41 Posted by LastRambo341 (8767 posts) -

Maybe you should have asked straightforwardly if people who onws both consoles choose which version they'll get based solely on what they'd rather get , trophies or achievements.Was that what you meant wasn't it?

If so , they do , they do because i have so few points on the 360 that i don't fell compelled to build them up , while one the ps3 i have 4k trophies , so i'd rather keep working on those , even if the multiplat is slightly "inferior" ,whereas i use my 360 for exclusives.

RoOodriGowW
Now that is what I'm talking about :P
#42 Posted by LegatoSkyheart (26223 posts) -

Achievements...The True Gimmick of 7th gen.

#43 Posted by Senor_Kami (8439 posts) -
Yes, but it's only a choice between PS3 and 360. I will get the 360 version unless the PS3 one is noticeably cheaper or is a significantly better version.
#44 Posted by immortality20 (7958 posts) -

Yep. I buy all multiplats on my 360 to enjoy achievements. I had 360 since launch so I enjoy upping my gamerscore, I would love to get to 100K, hope it continues over next gen.

#45 Posted by W1NGMAN- (9962 posts) -

My friends list dictates what version of a game I'll be buying. Since a ton more of my PS3 list consists of real life friends and family I get all my mulitplats for that system.

#46 Posted by rjdofu (9171 posts) -
[QUOTE="RoOodriGowW"]

LastRambo341
Now that is what I'm talking about :P

That's totally not what the OP & title are about :|
#47 Posted by ShadowsDemon (9481 posts) -
It wouldn't dedicate which system I buy it on, no. But I sure as hell do love trophies and achievements :D
#48 Posted by The_Last_Ride (74238 posts) -
not really, i prefer them because they have advantages for my part on each platform
#49 Posted by campzor (34932 posts) -
wii u version of anything superior? lol.. Also..no I choose my ps3 because i prefer playing my games on it. When i was a playstation2/pc gamer last gen...i never bought a multiplat on the pc...