Do remastered reviews count?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

PS4hasNOgames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1 PS4hasNOgames
Member since 2014 • 2620 Posts

Halo MCC.....looks fucking awesome. You know you're getting 4 games all rated 9 and above remastered in 1080p 60fps, lets say it gets a perfect 10 here, will that review "count". Or will it be overlooked because its a remastered collection?

I kinda think they they should not count for a new consoles catalog because its the same exact game with boosted visuals, but that's just me.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#2 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61478 Posts

It'll count. It just won't be exclusive.

PapaTrop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By PapaTrop
Member since 2014 • 1792 Posts

It won't count because I can't count

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 clyde46
Member since 2005 • 49061 Posts

They should count. It is another game, just happens to the same as the one that is currently on the market.

hiphops_savior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#5 hiphops_savior
Member since 2007 • 8535 Posts

Yes, MCC has enough public interest to warrant a review and the review should be looking at whether the remastered games are significant enough to warrant a purchase.

PS4hasNOgames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By PS4hasNOgames

@clyde46 said:

They should count. It is another game, just happens to the same as the one that is currently on the market.

I don't know, is Shawshank Redemption blu-ray edition a whole new movie to be rated all over again?

FoxbatAlpha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 FoxbatAlpha
Member since 2009 • 10669 Posts

Oh it will count.

I'm gonna parade that 9 around while the cows wait for a indie announcement coming Dec 6th. Sad perspective really.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 22662 Posts

Hell no. May as well pack up system wars and close it down if we allowed such nonsense in our already disrespected meta-game. Games already reviewed from years past are a nice perk to show up on a console... They do not make up the identity of a console or generation.

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 clyde46

@ps4hasnogames said:

@clyde46 said:

I don't know, is Shawshank Redemption blu-ray edition a whole new movie to be rated all over again?

The Blu-ray is actually closer to the original release quailty than the DVD or VHS version ever was much like the PS4 version of the TLOU is at the same res the bullshots were when the game was in development back on the PS3.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By lundy86_4

@ps4hasnogames said:

@clyde46 said:

This is a faulty comparison. MCC is adding more to the package than visual effects. They are all fully online games, a feature that was missing with Halo 1 (except PC) and Halo 2 had, but servers have been shut down. As well as Forge being available in Halo 2/3/4.

Unless Shawshank Redemption came with a multitude of never before seen footage, then the comparison is rendered moot.

gameofthering

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#11  Edited By gameofthering
Member since 2004 • 11286 Posts

It's just like other collections like "Sonic Mega Collection"

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#12 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

Only if reviewed on a Sunday.

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 clyde46

@TheEroica said:

Hell no. May as well pack up system wars and close it down if we allowed such nonsense in our already disrespected meta-game. Games already reviewed from years past are a nice perk to show up on a console... They do not make up the identity of a console or generation.

Not the way gen 8 started. Remakes all day err day.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#14  Edited By cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38034 Posts

@ps4hasnogames: I don't know, is Shawshank Redemption blu-ray edition a whole new movie to be rated all over again?

But the shawshank redemption was reviewed upon release in Cinema theaters. A different experience then watching at home where you have the ability to rewind, pause and scrutinize. Much different spectacle. Also, is the Blue Ray release including bonus features? Why wouldn't that product be reviewed differently?

The MCC now has terminals in Halo 2 fto be found full of lore, Halo CE online was non existent originally and the Anniversary use Halo Reach MP primarily, There is the halo 5 beta access, ability to mix campaign missions, Forge, Theater across all now. I think there is enough new content to review the game. As for should it count? I have seen cows throw up TLOUR score, primarily metacritic score here. So why not?

PS4hasNOgames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 PS4hasNOgames

@TheEroica said:

yes but if it gets a 10, can we say that the Xbox One got a 10 game before the PS4? Or is it an "LOL remastered games don't count" type of scenario.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 lundy86_4

@cainetao11: Nice. You added a few things that I missed.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 TheEroica  Moderator

@clyde46: hey clyde! True... They are certainly the bandaid on a slow moving, non committal new generation... But at the end of a generation I doubt we'll be talking about remakes as the shining beacons of gen 8...

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 clyde46

@TheEroica said:

@clyde46: hey clyde! True... They are certainly the bandaid on a slow moving, non committal new generation... But at the end of a generation I doubt we'll be talking about remakes as the shining beacons of gen 8...

Depends on how long this gen lasts. I say 5 years max.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60711 Posts

Nope. It's a mulit plat.

Kaze_no_Mirai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Kaze_no_Mirai
Member since 2004 • 11763 Posts

@Heil68 said:

Nope. It's a mulit plat.

Wait, what does that have to do with it counting? No one is saying it'll be an exclusive. Are you saying no multiplats should ever count and cows can't gloat 1080p/60fps multiplats?

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#21  Edited By cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38034 Posts

@ps4hasnogames: If the TLOUR had scored a 9 or 10, do you think cows would have said it doesn't count? You can't play TLOU at that res with the DLC unless you have a PS4. Is it exclusive? No. But this version does exclude. The same Wind Waker and MCC.

DEadliNE-Zero0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By DEadliNE-Zero0
Member since 2014 • 6607 Posts

@ps4hasnogames said:

yes but if it gets a 10, can we say that the Xbox One got a 10 game before the PS4? Or is it an "LOL remastered games don't count" type of scenario.

No, remasters still don't count because it's still the same base game. It may have redone assets, music, and how running at higher resoltuion and frame rates, but Halo 2 is Halo 2, and so are the rest.

The game stops being exclusive to that platform, but the score it gets when it releases is what matters in System Wars.

If it gets 10, awesome, i'd like for it to happen. But it's still a multiplat. It's also why TLOU R doesn't really matter for the Potato 4, since it was a PS3 title and the score mattered for the PS3 version.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 TheEroica  Moderator

@ps4hasnogames: well it depends on who you root for, right? I mean, there is no way a 10 will pass by the xbox crowd with a whimper... The Sony crowd will do as you said, write it off as insignificant because of it being a re-release (keep in mind that both groups will violate this when the AAA is on the other foot.. .) so we will be left with the decaying husk of our metagame...

Personally, a 10 is a 10. The game absolutely gives the console it's connected with a boost in value, which is the essence of what we argue, isn't it? Value?

As a system warrior, I think that if we begin accepting remakes the same as new releases we have lost our way... As the metagame was designed to discuss games and console value from gen to gen...

I would suggest that people simply accept that if it scores great it means there is added worth to the console and separate it from the metagame, but as you may have realized, we're not a bunch who can often critically think and act with humility :/

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By TheEroica  Moderator

@clyde46: wow, you think that short? Why? Hardware?

I think if anything it's going to be a slow painful gen because clearly they can't get off gen 7s d@$#

RR360DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 RR360DD
Member since 2011 • 14099 Posts

Lumping MCC and TLOU in the same basket isn't right. If they don't count, fair enough, but they aren't the same.

TLOUR is literally the same game, but in 1080p60FPS. Thats not the case with the MCC.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By TheEroica  Moderator

@RR360DD: in hindsight I wouldn't have bought the last of us remaster. I had beaten it twice and there is no wow factor in the remaster.

You are right in the sense that the mcc is a more noticeable overhaul... Still, neither should count as a metagame check, but they add value to the console.

Jankarcop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Jankarcop
Member since 2011 • 11058 Posts

If they count, just like PC backwards compatibility also counts then. PC , dat libarary.

kinectthedots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 kinectthedots
Member since 2013 • 3383 Posts

Lems are so desperate and pathetic it's not even funny. This remaster will be...like every other frecking remake/remaster that released before it. It will count as another game on the system and still not exclusive.

Anyone remember how lems acted like Ninja Gaiden Sigma for PS3 didn't count for ANYTHING when it released and got a 9.0 score? Despite being a complete remake (unlike this Halo MCC collection) they acted like it was no different from the xbox version and continued to say "PS3 has no games" until MGS4 released.

That was what lemmings frantically argued, but NOW they want it to have some kind of special significance? No fanboys stop begging and trying to change the rules the second a situation comes up you feel will benefit your system. You guys are really classless always jumping to try and change the rules that you all previously agreed on when the situation is favorable or bad for the console you fanboy.

FoxbatAlpha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 FoxbatAlpha
Member since 2009 • 10669 Posts

I agree with remasters and remakes not counting.

But,

This is the Mac Daddy remaster! No remaster has ever been done on this level of awesomeness and value.

This is a must have even if you just played all the Halo's and beat them yesterday.

This game is on everyone's radar whether you like it or not.

Old, retired people in a coma know this game is coming.

When a remaster is done to a new level is has to count.

NoahProa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By NoahProa
Member since 2014 • 70 Posts

@FoxbatAlpha said:

Oh it will count.

I'm gonna parade that 9 around while the cows wait for a indie announcement coming Dec 6th. Sad perspective really.

Then I guess TLOU Remastered counts because it was also boosted to 1080p 60fps

That's an AAAE right there

PsychoLemons

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 PsychoLemons
Member since 2011 • 3183 Posts

Nope

hehe101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#32 hehe101
Member since 2011 • 734 Posts

nope

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 lundy86_4

@noahproa said:

@FoxbatAlpha said:

Oh it will count.

Then I guess TLOU Remastered counts because it was also boosted to 1080p 60fps

That's an AAAE right there

Fox said nothing regarding exclusivity.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

@ps4hasnogames said:

Halo MCC. You know you're getting 4 games remastered in 1080p 60fps,

Actually, Halo 2 is not 1080p, M$ confirmed. You are getting 3 games (Halo 1, Halo 3, and Halo 4) remastered in 1080p 60fps, not four games as you claimed. Unfortunately, Halo Reach is missing as well, but I have played that to death as well. It's an easy mistake to make, but it's still a mistake.

Remastered games add to the value of a console, but ultimately they aren't new games. There was a GOW Saga collection that spanned five games ($17.99 for God of War Saga Collection at Amazon currently), but it wasn't considered a new game. I didn't buy that great valued GOW Saga collection as I already owned all those games, but I recognized it was a Fantastic bundle though. Especially considering the spectacularly high quality rated games included in the five game package. Same for Zelda Wind Waker HD, Metro Redux, or The Last of Us Remastered + All DLC.

I myself own all the Halo's and played them to death and I own an Xbone, but I'm not picking up this package. It's not really an exciting prospect to revisit games I already have revisited multiple times over the years. I feel the same for all remasters, unless I pick them up cheap.

I bought (and spent A LOT OF $$$ early adopting) new gen consoles to play new games and experience next gen concepts and gameplay. I didn't pay that money to retread on games I already played to oblivion. For instance, I bought all those Halo's for full price, waiting at midnight launches for each Halo game, buying collectors editions. I'm not about to spend another $60 on a good valued bundle on games I already played tons. The MCC is a nice deal, but it's not for every Halo fan. I wish I didn't play the other Halos so much as I would be tempted to buy this package for my Xbone, but alas. Maybe next year for $17.99 at Amazon or whatever.

YD_11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#35 YD_11
Member since 2006 • 1867 Posts

@cainetao11 said:

@ps4hasnogames: I don't know, is Shawshank Redemption blu-ray edition a whole new movie to be rated all over again?

But the shawshank redemption was reviewed upon release in Cinema theaters. A different experience then watching at home where you have the ability to rewind, pause and scrutinize. Much different spectacle. Also, is the Blue Ray release including bonus features? Why wouldn't that product be reviewed differently?

The MCC now has terminals in Halo 2 fto be found full of lore, Halo CE online was non existent originally and the Anniversary use Halo Reach MP primarily, There is the halo 5 beta access, ability to mix campaign missions, Forge, Theater across all now. I think there is enough new content to review the game. As for should it count? I have seen cows throw up TLOUR score, primarily metacritic score here. So why not?

I believe there was a video showing off a "Rivals" mode as well for campaign missions and/or achivements. Highest score on a level or fastest completion time etc is tracked as you play if you are using this "rival" mode. I also like being able to select an achievement to be automatically taken to the part of the game (if applicable)

funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 funsohng
Member since 2005 • 29976 Posts

I don't think they deserve a full-on review in first place. The standards are completely different. Instead of critiquing the textual qualities, you are comparing technical stuff. That's what remasters are. Their reviews should be in a different category.

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

Maybe it gets a definitive review.

Alcapello

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Alcapello
Member since 2014 • 1396 Posts

Since xbox got no other game I suppose you gonna spin it that way anyway

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#39 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

@funsohng said:

I don't think they deserve a full-on review in first place. The standards are completely different. Instead of critiquing the textual qualities, you are comparing technical stuff. That's what remasters are. Their reviews should be in a different category.

Plus lord knows the critic would be too much of a pussy to genuinely point out any drawbacks in the actual gameplay, because "no bro this is a sacred cow" hoetry.

WeepsForFools

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 WeepsForFools
Member since 2012 • 793 Posts

@TheEroica said:

So TLOU rerelease on ps4 didn't count huh?

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 TheEroica  Moderator

@WeepsForFools: at the very most it's a multiplat game between two separate consoles, and in a few weeks it won't even be the newest version as the ps3 will be getting a GOTY edition...

Does the last if us offer value to the ps4? Yes.

But it has zero effect on charting games in terms of the metagame.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178844 Posts

@ps4hasnogames said:

@clyde46 said:

Only if you want to discuss whether the blu ray is a significant upgrade or cash grab.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44056 Posts

AAAE's count and yes, MCC is absolutely unique & exclusive, anyone saying different is in DC mode.. :P

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 LJS9502_basic

@SecretPolice said:

AAAE's count and yes, MCC is absolutely unique & exclusive, anyone saying different is in DC mode.. :P

Eh it's like re reviewing a movie because they added extras. Not really a drastic enough to change to warrant a new review.

speedfog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#45 speedfog
Member since 2009 • 4966 Posts

Cows will say no, they said yes when TLOU came out but now they will say no.

But yeah cows don't get the differents between new graphics and just a higher resolution with wobbly 60 fps (so 50 fps).

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By SecretPolice

@LJS9502_basic said:

@SecretPolice said:

Eh it's like re reviewing a movie because they added extras. Not really a drastic enough to change to warrant a new review.

Nah, the all in One disk is unique with tons of content and especially considering all the changes to Halo 2, destructible environments and all. LJ, don't you go going all DC with the SP mang. :P

Seriously though, I think the GS reviewer should comment whether he / she thinks MCC should be considered exclusive or not.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 LJS9502_basic

@SecretPolice said:

@LJS9502_basic said:

@SecretPolice said:

Nah, the all in One disk is unique with tons of content and especially considering all the changes to Halo 2, destructible environments and all. LJ, don't you go going all DC with the SP mang. :P

Seriously though, I think the GS reviewer should comment whether he / she thinks MCC should be considered exclusive or not.

I'm not a fan of this generation turning into remastered older games TBH. Most Halo fans played the hell out of those games already. Why aren't the new games coming? Halo 5 should be out by now. Not reruns.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 SecretPolice

@LJS9502_basic said:

@SecretPolice said:

@LJS9502_basic said:

@SecretPolice said:

I'm not a fan of this generation turning into remastered older games TBH. Most Halo fans played the hell out of those games already. Why aren't the new games coming? Halo 5 should be out by now. Not reruns.

Mostly agree but I'm sorta a bit of a Halo fanboy :P and the redone Halo 2 has me pumped so this works for me and I suppose the silver lining is the Halo 5 beta on the disk.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By LJS9502_basic

@SecretPolice: Well I hope you're not disappointed. Enjoy....