Do Nintendo really have the best first party games?

#101 Edited by StrongBlackVine (9467 posts) -

Through the years I have chosen every other brand(Sega, Sony, Microsoft) over Nintendo so NO. I like realistic looking games too so Nintendo is automatically disqualified.

#102 Posted by speedfreak48t5p (9033 posts) -

@Flamer_Blue said:

Their games are quality and definitely the best out there but their consoles are total shit. This brings the quality of their exclusives down. It comes to a point in which you have to decide between PS4, Xbox Uno or the fanservice machine.

Wow, what a post. What a dumb post that is.

#103 Posted by Wiiboxstation (352 posts) -

@AzatiS: well you said Nintendo isn't selling anymore. That is why i wrote about how many sales Mario Kart has had this year. I know you don't play sales. Just don't act retarded when you say people won't pay for Nintendo because it's just another Mario another Zelda another Kart. 2 million people have bought kart in 2 months. Add that to the 34 million that bought it on the Wii last gen and people still like it.

What does Wii fit have to do with anything? Besides you changing the subject of course.

#104 Edited by trugs26 (5781 posts) -

@AzatiS said:

@trugs26 said:

@AzatiS said:

@trugs26 said:

@AzatiS said:
@trugs26 said:

Just go look at any meta ranking site or top selling franchises chart and you can see for yourself. On top of that, look at the number of franchises and variety of games they have.

Obviously they're one of the best, otherwise their hardware would utterly fail.

That right there made me laugh ...

I agree with you though , theyre one of the best BUT for a specific audience which as new generation of gamers kicks in ...they dont give an F! and they need to do something drastic ( new IPs maybe? ) to lure new generation in or Wii U will be dead in less than 3 years from now.

Well they have a large set of IP, and they do have a range of new IP too. They just tend to be a bit smaller and remain in the shadow of their icons (Mario, DK and Zelda). They still exist, are pretty decent and add to the "Variety" aspect of their catalogue.

In theory yes , they have a large set of IP ... What will push Wii U sales out of all those IPs when already most of them showing their age more than ever ?

I wonder , if Mario couldnt , Kart obviously didnt and Smash wont .... what can out of this "large" set of IPs , because variety is missing with one way or another , save the day when most of big names are out with not that much of a success ?

You calling variety when 90% of their games being platforms with different names and heroes but same formula ... i dont think so... and thats the main problem with Wii U.. It is missing all those great third party titles to fill the serious gap their first party titles lefting when it comes to variety. There are tons of different genres out there and sadly Wii U filling very few when all other consoles filling all !!

Well you're being too platform specific and hardware sales focused. I'm talking about variety and quality of software in general. Also, no, it's not just the same formula with different names. Even Donkey Kong TF vs New Super Marios Bros. U (the most similar set of IPs, and the thing you're probably getting at) have a completely different feel and visual style. Just because they share the same genre doesn't take away from the variety. Besides, it's not just limited to these games. Just look fairly new IP/games such as Pushmo, Captain Toad, Splatoon, as well as other games that demonstrate variety like Pikmin, Zelda, Mario, Donkey Kong, Animal Crossing, Xenoblade/X, Warioware, Earthbound, and the concepts/upcoming games from this year's E3 (Giant Robot and Gaurd). This list is just off the top of my head, I'm sure there's plenty more. You'd be stupid to think that Warioware and Mario are the same formula with a different name or hero. You can say that with every 2 pairs of games I just mentioned.

If im stupid thinking that Wario or Mario bringing the same formula , aka being platforms , while games like Pikmin , Zelda , Mario , Donkey , Animal Crossing and Xenoblade are the variety you talking about , you really need to reconsider what variety means and above all , what stupidity is.

Also if Pushmo world ( 79 metacritic ) , Captain Toad ( another one of the same platforms with different hero than mario all that is ) and Splatoon are the new IPs you waiting for or praising as something coming from the best of the best ... well thats sad.

Well you are being stupid since I did say Warioware not Wario.

And the fact of the matter is that Nintendo has a HUGE library of games, which gives way to why I say "variety" in the first place. Yes, they range in quality, but nonetheless, most of them are really good. To deny this is being stupid. Go look it up yourself and you'll see you're making a stupid point to deny this. Most developers have only a few franchises, or just one genre they focus on. Nintendo on the other hand has an absurd number of variety of games. Especially if you're only comparing to "first party" developers Sony and Microsoft. Because the only other developers in the same league as Nintendo are Valve and Blizzard.

#105 Edited by AzatiS (7920 posts) -

@hiphops_savior said:

@AzatiS: Going by your logic, Knack is the same thing as Mario, Forza is the same thing as Mario Kart, and Mass Effect is the same thing as Pokemon.

Read again , dont try to put words in my mouth i never said or meant. Variety had nothing to do with quality. The issue is that PS/Xbox brands literally destroying Nintendo ( console wise ) when it comes to what someone can find on each and every GENRE , read again , GENRE for all or different taste.

Want to compare games side by side in every genre there is , i have all day. Bring it.

Sony no , it hasnt mario and all those 2D spin offs it HAS though some great platforms to offer , either 1st party, 3rd party or Indies. And that happens in each and every genre except maybe platforming. Period. If you want to start compare , lets do it. Wii vs PS3 that is so be fair to PS4 that lacks a whole year towards Wii U. Lets go

#106 Edited by MirkoS77 (8003 posts) -

@trugs26 said:

@MirkoS77: Look at the definition of subjective and objective, then read your post again. It's clear that even a "broken" camera angle is still subjective.

I know exactly what subjective and objective mean, thanks. Given what a platformer is designed to allow the player to do, no, a camera that precludes them from doing so is most certainly objectively bad. I'll use a (simplified) example I have before to demonstrate my point:

Two film directors wish to capture a Michael Jordan dunk. One amateur, one professional. The professional goes first. He keeps MJ in frame the whole time, is steady, captures the run-up, flight, dunk, landing. The second then goes. It is shaky, Mike is out of frame a lot of the time, the director completely misses the dunk and barely captures the landing.

Now, the "quality" of the shot has been determined before it is even filmed because parameters and demands have been established prior as to what's to be accomplished (keeping him in frame at all times, capturing facial expressions, etc etc). Quality is contingent upon goals to be met in whatever is being created, demanded from at the start. And in that, quality can most surely be objectively attained, even though it was subjectively ascertained beforehand. This is how things are created. Something's not just made and then every person determines quality. Their views are irrelevant past the point of preference once something is done. The very few who are working on something are the ones who determine what its quality entails, and the outcome of their effort in accomplishing it in contrast to their original visions/goals is what sets it in stone.

There is objective merit to be found in any endevour subjectively determined.

#107 Edited by SeriousGaming (52 posts) -

As far as series like Zelda go, they're definitely not what they used to be. Wind Waker was probably the last great Zelda. But games like Mario Kart? Poor example. Mario Kart is still one of the best kart racers out there. When you add unnecessary complexity and mechanics to games like that, they tend to get worse. Mario Kart Double Dash and Super Mario Sunshine are clunky and weird compared with later iterations of those series. Mario Kart is a game for babies, but it's a damn good babies game. Other M and Skyward Sword? Yeah, Nintendo isn't the best at anything.

#108 Edited by trugs26 (5781 posts) -
@MirkoS77 said:

@trugs26 said:

@MirkoS77: Look at the definition of subjective and objective, then read your post again. It's clear that even a "broken" camera angle is still subjective.

I know exactly what subjective and objective mean, thanks. Given what a platformer is designed to allow the player to do, no, a camera that precludes them from doing so is most certainly objectively bad. I'll use a (simplified) example I have before to demonstrate my point:

Two film directors wish to capture a Michael Jordan dunk. One amateur, one professional. The professional goes first. He keeps MJ in frame the whole time, is steady, captures the run-up, flight, dunk, landing. The second then goes. It is shaky, Mike is out of frame a lot of the time, the director completely misses the dunk and barely captures the landing.

Now, the "quality" of the shot has been determined before it is even filmed because parameters and demands have been established prior as to what's to be accomplished (keeping him in frame at all times, capturing facial expressions, etc etc). Quality is contingent upon goals to be met in whatever is being created, demanded from at the start. And in that, quality can most surely be objectively attained, even though it was subjectively ascertained beforehand. This is how things are created. Something's not just made and then every person determines quality. Their views are irrelevant past the point of preference once something is done. The very few who are working on something are the ones who determine what its quality entails, and the outcome of their effort in accomplishing it in contrast to their original visions/goals is what sets it in stone.

There is objective merit to be found in any endevour subjectively determined.

Right, so you've introduced parameters which have been subjectively chosen as a measure of objectivity. In that case, I can see where you're coming from and possibly agree. My main concern is the limitation of your point. There is such a vast set of parameters at work, and these parameters are not clearly defined or agreed upon. For example, a broken camera angle may be a problem for one person, where as another person (most likely a minority, but that doesn't take away the point of subjectivity) does not care for the broken camera and still has a lot of fun (or to go even further, prefers the broken camera). The same can be said for you film example.

#109 Posted by shadiezz2012 (2452 posts) -

No, they are not for me ..To me Sony offer the best 1st party games

#110 Posted by Maroxad (8635 posts) -

Compared to Microsoft and Sony's first party.

They are easily the best. They may not follow many of the trends in AAA gaming but that is what I like about them, they do not follow the downwards spiral into the abyss of decadence, unlike Sony who leaped into it.

#111 Edited by PsychoLemons (2297 posts) -

@StrongBlackVine said:

Through the years I have chosen every other brand(Sega, Sony, Microsoft) over Nintendo so NO. I like realistic looking games too so Nintendo is automatically disqualified.

So that means you liked Sonic 06?

#112 Posted by Maroxad (8635 posts) -

Lets see what grounds Nintendo cover

1. Party Game
Nintendo Land
Mario/Wii Party

2. Sports
Wii Sports
Mario Sports (further diversified by tennis, football (not American Football), golf, basketball, baseball)

3. Brawler
Super Smash Bros

4. Racer
Mario Kart (Kart Racer)
F-Zero (Futurisitic)
Waverace

5. Action Adventure
The Legend of Zelda
Metroid
Pikmin

6. Trainer
Wii Fit
Brain Training

7. Platformer
Mario
Warioland (Puzzle Platformer, unlike mario it focuses a lot more on exploration and problem solving and secrets)
Donkey Kong
Kirby

8. RPG
Xenoblade
Pokemon
Mother
The Last Story
Fire Emblem

9. TPS
Kid Icarus: Uprising
Splatoon

10. Puzzle
Pushmo/Crashmo
Captain Toad
Dr. Mario

Misc
11. Nintendo Wars (Strategy)
12. Star Fox (Rail Shooter)
13. Animal Crossing (Life Sim)
14. Professor Layton (adventure)

I may have missed a few. But Nintendo clearly does diversity, even within their own genres there is diversity.

#113 Posted by Wiiboxstation (352 posts) -

@seriousgaming: You don't think a link between worlds isn't a great game? I have played oot, spirit tracks, wind waker and a link between worlds. I enjoyed link between worlds the most.

#114 Posted by SeriousGaming (52 posts) -

@wiiboxstation said:

@seriousgaming: You don't think a link between worlds isn't a great game? I have played oot, spirit tracks, wind waker and a link between worlds. I enjoyed link between worlds the most.

I found it mediocre, certainly when compared to OOT and Wind Waker.

#115 Edited by coasterguy65 (6161 posts) -

Everybody has a different opinion about what is best. In my case I would say that Nintendo definitely has some of the best First Party in the business, and has constantly had it.

#116 Posted by leandrro (957 posts) -

god of war and gears of war are examples that any console manufacturer can make exclusives that will make history

but as god of war and gears are not the best gen 6 and gen 7 games ive played, also mario 3 and mario world were not the best nes and snes games

on the nes for me it was battletoads, on snes it was streent fighter 2

as always we like and enjoy exclusives but the best games are the multiplatform, multiplatform games rule from 1985 to 2014

#117 Posted by cainetao11 (18760 posts) -

Does a grizzly bear shit on game reviews?

#118 Posted by Wiiboxstation (352 posts) -

@Maroxad:

What are Sony's and Microsoft's 1st party games to compare to all of Nintendo's first party list.