DKC: TF - No online MP, but there are leaderboards

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by nintendoboy16 (26493 posts) -

Source: PlayerEssence

“Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze for Wii U will feature robust online leaderboards to track all your best times running, swinging and barrel-blasting through the game’s numerous levels.

You can compete with friends and players around the world, and even upload videos of your fastest runs. The leaderboards will feature times, medal rankings, which Kong partner you played with and a heart icon that indicates if you beat the level without taking damage.”

*remembers 3D World lacking online* And here we go...

#2 Posted by freedomfreak (39999 posts) -

Oh boy, leaderboards!

That's almost exciting.

#3 Posted by Link3301 (1690 posts) -

And it's still going to get better reviews than most of the AAA Sony, M$, and third party games this year.

#4 Posted by PrincessGomez92 (3539 posts) -

Way more exciting that another Tomb Raider.

#5 Posted by freedomfreak (39999 posts) -

I was gonna play this with princessgomez, but I can't because there's no online multiplayer.

Glad I sold mine.

#6 Posted by PrincessGomez92 (3539 posts) -

I was gonna play this with princessgomez, but I can't because there's no online multiplayer.

Glad I sold mine.

Why would I play with you?

#7 Edited by freedomfreak (39999 posts) -

Oh, I see how it is. I'm only good for making signatures.

That's good. I understand. I'm completely fine with that. I'm over it.

#8 Posted by Heil68 (43951 posts) -

Yeah, who would want to play a game with their friends anyhow?

#9 Posted by PrincessGomez92 (3539 posts) -

@princessgomez92 said:

Oh, I see how it is. I'm only good for making signatures.

That's good. I understand. I'm completely fine with that. I'm over it.

Good.

#10 Posted by Joedgabe (5111 posts) -

considering how bad brawl online was... yea it's better to just play local.

#11 Posted by Desmonic (13745 posts) -

Source: PlayerEssence

“Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze for Wii U will feature robust online leaderboards to track all your best times running, swinging and barrel-blasting through the game’s numerous levels.

You can compete with friends and players around the world, and even upload videos of your fastest runs. The leaderboards will feature times, medal rankings, which Kong partner you played with and a heart icon that indicates if you beat the level without taking damage.”

*remembers 3D World lacking online* And here we go...

The difference is that in a such a big game for the platform (3D World) pushing some sort of online would make sense (especially when you consider it has local co-op up to 4 players; they'd literally have to change nothing in the game) and likely only help Ninty's image among the gamer crowd.

Not considering the currently low-ish sales for the game, besides SSB and maybe Metroid (in terms of first party stuff) I don't see better examples in which to show devs can easily integrate proper online play + show consumers that online on WiiU is also a actual "thing". SSB will be the one to do it, but only due to Ninty's own volition, not because it couldn't be done earlier.

It's a similar situation with this game in the sense that it also has local co-op, but from what I've seen they'd have to make some actual changes (for example the camera doesn't seem to pawn back when one player is left behind). However since it's a 2D platformer from a less popular franchise it makes far more sense to not waste money or time with it.

All of this leads me to actually believe the news that Ninty has (or had) no idea at all on how to set up a network or even use it in it's fullest. They don't seem willing to integrate anything more than the most basic of online interactions in titles that could really make a big, big impact if they had proper MP (be it competitive or co-op). Which is a shame, really.

#12 Posted by trugs26 (5391 posts) -

Good. That's all it needs.

#13 Posted by Wild_man_22 (590 posts) -

I still don't get why these games need online multiplayer. The Multiplayer for 2D platformers I've played often just becomes chaos, and the levels are rarely designed for it.

Perhaps I just haven't played ones that execute multiplayer extremely well yet.

#14 Posted by ghostwarrior786 (4306 posts) -

hahaha and ninty fans wonder why people want them to go 3rd party. this sh%t is ridiculous, 2014 and still no online multiplayer

#15 Posted by JangoWuzHere (16267 posts) -

Just shows you how far behind Nintendo is. Leaderboards is an exciting feature announcement!

#16 Posted by AznbkdX (3144 posts) -

Fine with me. Online in this game would be awful anyways.

Precision platforming, especially for a notoriously hard game like DK, with partners online just makes for a messy experience.

#17 Edited by MonsieurX (29985 posts) -

Nintendo; leaders of local coop since always

#18 Edited by SolidTy (42804 posts) -

Nintendo's going to go full throttle, balls to the wall, Amazing Dreamcast quality Online in two more console generations.

The Wii U Pii U Dos releases. That machine is the one to watch, ladies and gentlefolk.

Gamecube 2? WiiWii? SuperDuper NES? Nintendo65?

#19 Posted by nintendoboy16 (26493 posts) -

hahaha and ninty fans wonder why people want them to go 3rd party. this sh%t is ridiculous, 2014 and still no online multiplayer

Because going third party will make this game online all of a sudden, right?

#20 Posted by osan0 (12693 posts) -

im probably going to have to raise a flame shield for this.

but DK is not a game that should have online. any sort of ping or latency would cause it to get very messey and make it feel very sluggish which would just lead to frustration. hell internally the developers were probably cursing the fact that the controller is wireless.

rayman legends doesnt have online play either..just leaderboards and downloadable speed runs and that gets a free pass. but ubisoft are correct to leave the online multiplayer out. the internet, in this case, is not good enough.

nintendo do need to start thinking about making a game from the ground up for online play and some of their games, like warioware, metroid prime and pokemon, would lend themselves to online play very nicely. mario kart also of course.

games like mario (2D and 3D platformer) and donkey kong are not suited though and hammering in an unsuitable feature is just going to diminish the game.

#21 Posted by PurpleMan5000 (7138 posts) -

@osan0 said:

im probably going to have to raise a flame shield for this.

but DK is not a game that should have online. any sort of ping or latency would cause it to get very messey and make it feel very sluggish which would just lead to frustration. hell internally the developers were probably cursing the fact that the controller is wireless.

rayman legends doesnt have online play either..just leaderboards and downloadable speed runs and that gets a free pass. but ubisoft are correct to leave the online multiplayer out. the internet, in this case, is not good enough.

nintendo do need to start thinking about making a game from the ground up for online play and some of their games, like warioware, metroid prime and pokemon, would lend themselves to online play very nicely. mario kart also of course.

games like mario (2D and 3D platformer) and donkey kong are not suited though and hammering in an unsuitable feature is just going to diminish the game.

I agree. The problem is not that this game doesn't have online multiplayer. The problem is that none of Nintendo's games on the Wii U have online multiplayer. Nintendo should have had a game at launch. Nintendoland should have had online play.

#22 Posted by AmazonTreeBoa (16745 posts) -

Hmmm, multiplayer doesn't even come to mind when I think of Donkey Kong.