Dissecting the Horror: Telling a Mature Story in a Shooter (Spec Ops: The Line)

• 76 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#51 Posted by SPYDER0416 (16736 posts) -

I have at least 10 different articles on Spec Ops sitting on my bookmarks and the game sitting in my Steam library, but since my Refurbished GPU is not yet in my PC and i have not yet played the game, I'm sitting on my hands waiting to play this game and read all about it. I'm surprised I've gone this long without getting it spoiled, but avoiding all of YouTube comments and comments sections in general helps.

#52 Posted by DarkLink77 (31886 posts) -

I have at least 10 different articles on Spec Ops sitting on my bookmarks and the game sitting in my Steam library, but since my Refurbished GPU is not yet in my PC and i have not yet played the game, I'm sitting on my hands waiting to play this game and read all about it. I'm surprised I've gone this long without getting it spoiled, but avoiding all of YouTube comments and comments sections in general helps.

SPYDER0416
Indeed. Wish I could go into it spoiler-free.
#53 Posted by SPYDER0416 (16736 posts) -

[QUOTE="SPYDER0416"]

DarkLink77

It got ruined for you? I know nothing about any of the twists or plot developments except that there are multiple endings and the morality system toys with the player, which gets me kind of excited to experience it, along with Yahtzee Croshaw giving some rare praise for it.

A lot of people bring up the action and gameplay as being kind of generic, but in my opinion (of the PS3 demo I've played at least), it worked, it was polished and it was more of a vehicle for the narrative. It was far from bad gameplay, I certainly enjoyed it even if it was no Max Payne 3 in the gunplay department. I also kind of blame multiplayer being forced on the game since the developers themselves were none too pleased with the changes they had to make to the entire game for that.

#54 Posted by DarkLink77 (31886 posts) -

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"][QUOTE="SPYDER0416"]

SPYDER0416

It got ruined for you? I know nothing about any of the twists or plot developments except that there are multiple endings and the morality system toys with the player, which gets me kind of excited to experience it, along with Yahtzee Croshaw giving some rare praise for it.

A lot of people bring up the action and gameplay as being kind of generic, but in my opinion (of the PS3 demo I've played at least), it worked, it was polished and it was more of a vehicle for the narrative. It was far from bad gameplay, I certainly enjoyed it even if it was no Max Payne 3 in the gunplay department. I also kind of blame multiplayer being forced on the game since the developers themselves were none too pleased with the changes they had to make to the entire game for that.

I spoiled it for myself. :P Buy yeah, I liked the demo, too.
#55 Posted by Lucky_Krystal (1390 posts) -

I hardly play any shooters (I only own 2) but Spec Ops the Line managed to catch my interest. Its definetly a game I'll pick up some time soon, I'm all for games with mature storytelling that do something different.

#56 Posted by PannicAtack (21040 posts) -
[QUOTE="DarkLink77"][QUOTE="Aljosa23"]

>"mature story"
>video games

lol'd hard

dracolich55
:| Do I really have to type "for the medium" every time I post something?

Well their are exceptions even for the medium, like Planescape Torment.

And To the Moon.
#57 Posted by illmatic87 (15495 posts) -

That was interesting, I knew I can trust my local shooter guy Darklink to deliver. >:[

I already feel like it'll be a game that I wont necessarily enjoy, but moreso respect. I'm just not sure that's enough of a reason to spend my money on such game. I cant remember where this was, but I read a pretty interesting article that made alot of parallels with Bioshock's Rapture and the authentic setting of Spec Ops: The Line.

#58 Posted by finalfantasy94 (26884 posts) -

i heard the tale for this game is pretty interesting. Just waiting on that price drop.

#59 Posted by freedomfreak (43439 posts) -
[QUOTE="FrozenLiquid"]Oh, nice. Anyone played the game and can confirm this interview isn't just hot air?

It isn't. This game's narrative, character development and story is something developers should look at. It's hard to really get into it without spoiling anything. I was insanely surprised. Whatever this team is planning next, I'm keeping a close eye on it.
#60 Posted by SPYDER0416 (16736 posts) -

Everyone play this game right freaking now. It is amazing, I did NOT see a lot of what happened coming, I literally felt like I was punched in the stomach and its not an experience I would describe as "enjoyable", but my god was it worth it. One of the best single player campaigns I've ever experienced in any game, with a tad more polish it would rightfully deserve to be up on the pedestal with games like Uncharted and Call of Duty in sales and reviews, and the writing and incredible set pieces and choices really lets it beat them.

I also realized that no matter how hard I try to be a hero, I'm a monster, and the game made sure to specifically let me, not the character, but me, know that I am a monster.

BUY IT NOW

#61 Posted by delta3074 (18864 posts) -
SPEC OP's is one of the very Few games i have played where the story actually got to me and i found it quite disturbing, it's a shooter that actually does a genuinly good job of making you feel bad about shooting people, the Road to hell is paved with good intentions kind of storyline Very similar to apocolypse now.
#62 Posted by koospetoors (3245 posts) -
I really enjoyed Spec Ops. I remember not liking it at first because it starts off like any other mediocre military shooter (hurr durr terrorists! Kill them, America #%^ yeah!) but the more I played the more it started deviating and actually messing about with all the clichés in the genre itself (wish it did more of that though, it still ultimately plays like any other cover-based shooter). I mean, for starters, the main enemy isn't your normal terrorist and oh boy was I surprised when I started gunning down people I consider my very own allies for survival. The story itself was fantastic and filled with some moments that truly make you feel like a monster, definitely a game worth experiencing if you ask me.
#63 Posted by mems_1224 (48569 posts) -

Everyone play this game right freaking now. It is amazing, I did NOT see a lot of what happened coming, I literally felt like I was punched in the stomach and its not an experience I would describe as "enjoyable", but my god was it worth it. One of the best single player campaigns I've ever experienced in any game, with a tad more polish it would rightfully deserve to be up on the pedestal with games like Uncharted and Call of Duty in sales and reviews, and the writing and incredible set pieces and choices really lets it beat them.

I also realized that no matter how hard I try to be a hero, I'm a monster, and the game made sure to specifically let me, not the character, but me, know that I am a monster.

BUY IT NOW

SPYDER0416
yea the game really makes you feel like s***
#64 Posted by Giancar (19069 posts) -
[QUOTE="DarkLink77"][QUOTE="Aljosa23"]

>"mature story"
>video games

lol'd hard

dracolich55
:| Do I really have to type "for the medium" every time I post something?

Well their are exceptions even for the medium, like Planescape Torment.

and Xenogears, and SoTC and a few others
#65 Posted by DragonfireXZ95 (19822 posts) -

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"][QUOTE="Master_ShakeXXX"]

And Nier doesn't? Nier tells the most original story since like ever. It also backs up the legendary storytelling with creative and unique gameplay elements. Spec Ops is... a military shooter.

Master_ShakeXXX

A military shooter that deconstructs its entire genre, and does a damn good job of it. That's a pretty big deal.

Call me a skeptic.

Both of the games are supposed to have a decent story at least from what I've heard. However, the gameplay in both of the games is kind of garbage. So right now, both of you guys are arguing the exact same opinion.

#66 Posted by freedomfreak (43439 posts) -

[QUOTE="Master_ShakeXXX"]

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"][QUOTE="Master_ShakeXXX"]

And Nier doesn't? Nier tells the most original story since like ever. It also backs up the legendary storytelling with creative and unique gameplay elements. Spec Ops is... a military shooter.

DragonfireXZ95

A military shooter that deconstructs its entire genre, and does a damn good job of it. That's a pretty big deal.

Call me a skeptic.

Both of the games are supposed to have a decent story at least from what I've heard. However, the gameplay in both of the games is kind of garbage. So right now, both of you guys are arguing the exact same opinion.

The gameplay of Spec Ops is not garbage. It's just nothing special. The TPS mechanics work, they're just not great.
#67 Posted by DragonfireXZ95 (19822 posts) -
[QUOTE="DragonfireXZ95"]

Call me a skeptic.

freedomfreak

The gameplay of Spec Ops is not garbage. It's just nothing special. The TPS mechanics work, they're just not great.

Well, then they are mediocre. Either way, they are still arguing the same point.
#68 Posted by freedomfreak (43439 posts) -
[QUOTE="freedomfreak"][QUOTE="DragonfireXZ95"] Both of the games are supposed to have a decent story at least from what I've heard. However, the gameplay in both of the games is kind of garbage. So right now, both of you guys are arguing the exact same opinion.DragonfireXZ95

Well, then they are mediocre. Either way, they are still arguing the same point.

Not even mediocre.
#69 Posted by Rockman999 (7232 posts) -

I bought this a couple of weeks ago but i haven't actually played it yet, I might give it a go later today.

#70 Posted by sailor232 (5099 posts) -

I really enjoyed this game. Very dark and gruesome, especially as it nears the end. Only a few times did I truly get frustrated with it, which says alot these days for me.

#71 Posted by CKYguy25 (2087 posts) -

i've always wanted to try out Spec Ops

#72 Posted by G-O-A-T (160 posts) -

great game and story but I wouldnt exactly call it revolutionary

#73 Posted by SPYDER0416 (16736 posts) -

I bought this a couple of weeks ago but i haven't actually played it yet, I might give it a go later today.

Rockman999

I played a couple of hours the day before yesterday, then Steam screwed up on me royally and I had to reinstall it and all the games I own. I immediately installed Spec Ops, played it in one go, and it was just an incredible game.

#74 Posted by DragonfireXZ95 (19822 posts) -
[QUOTE="freedomfreak"][QUOTE="DragonfireXZ95"][QUOTE="freedomfreak"] The gameplay of Spec Ops is not garbage. It's just nothing special. The TPS mechanics work, they're just not great.

Not even mediocre.

I would have to play it to be the judge of that. The demo I played definitely had mediocre gameplay.
#75 Posted by WTA2k5 (3997 posts) -

One of the best gaming narratives ever. Fantastic interview, even if it trails off a bit at the end.

#76 Posted by Master_ShakeXXX (13361 posts) -

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"] A military shooter that deconstructs its entire genre, and does a damn good job of it. That's a pretty big deal.DragonfireXZ95

Call me a skeptic.

Nier's gameplay is fine.