Disc formats are a thing of the past, PS3 enters digital distribution

This topic is locked from further discussion.

tastethechase

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 tastethechase
Member since 2006 • 207 Posts

well at least my PS3 has, damn thing got a DRE and refuses to play any format of disc. Then to make matters worse, being out of warranty allows Sony to rape your wallet to make up for the poor sales this gen by charging half the price of a brand new PS3 just so you can send it to them and they give you a refurbished one. WTF Sony i send you my 60gig launch model with PS2 backwards compatability i expect it back not your gimped 2 usb ,no card reader slot 80 gig model that you've repaired coz that was dodgy as well.

At least MS send you your console back and fix it for free

And Nintendo.....well the Wii is the only one that hasnt broke on me this gen, props to Nintendo, now if only you had some new games worth playing :P

Wolfang07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Wolfang07
Member since 2007 • 160 Posts
No I should be able to let someone borrow a game without having them borrow my system
jonesy1911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 jonesy1911
Member since 2003 • 3483 Posts

No, you clearly need to talk to someone at Sony, I had a problem where one game wouldn't work and I wasn't happy I was out of warranty and I said look this isn't on and they said sorry and sent me a 60gb console the next day.

tastethechase

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 tastethechase

No, you clearly need to talk to someone at Sony, I had a problem where one game wouldn't work and I wasn't happy I was out of warranty and I said look this isn't on and they said sorry and sent me a 60gb console the next day.

jonesy1911

It could be different depending on what person you get on the other end of the line, i was told unfortunately because you are out of warranty we will have to charge you a fee, i said fair enough how much?, $350 AUS :shock: :| :shock: was told it is the standard charge no matter the problem and that they would send me a refurbished model as soon as they recieved my broken one.

I told em to leave it at that and ill think about it, might try again tomorrow and see if i get someone different on the line, wont be happy if i have to fork out another 350 on top of the 1k i paid for it at launch.

Hexagon_777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Hexagon_777
Member since 2007 • 20348 Posts

Digital distribution? Go for it!

FirstDiscovery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 FirstDiscovery
Member since 2008 • 5508 Posts

Hell no, its just a way of milking us more, the prices arent all that cheaper and yet you get way less.

TX360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#7 TX360
Member since 2008 • 4051 Posts
sorry to hear.
tastethechase

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 tastethechase

lol i dont think some of the people are getting this thread, the title is based on the fact that my PS3 doesnt read discs anymore and i can only play demos and downloaded games till i get it fixed. Making light of the situation that my PS3 has DRE. :P

FirstDiscovery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 FirstDiscovery
Member since 2008 • 5508 Posts

lol i dont think some of the people are getting this thread, the title is based on the fact that my PS3 doesnt read discs anymore and i can only play demos and downloaded games till i get it fixed. Making light of the situation that my PS3 has DRE. :P

tastethechase
LOL yeah i get it now, knee-jerk reaction to DD hate:P
Jared2720

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Jared2720
Member since 2007 • 2200 Posts

well at least my PS3 has, damn thing got a DRE and refuses to play any format of disc. Then to make matters worse, being out of warranty allows Sony to rape your wallet to make up for the poor sales this gen by charging half the price of a brand new PS3 just so you can send it to them and they give you a refurbished one. WTF Sony i send you my 60gig launch model with PS2 backwards compatability i expect it back not your gimped 2 usb ,no card reader slot 80 gig model that you've repaired coz that was dodgy as well.

And Nintendo.....well the Wii is the only one that hasnt broke on me this gen, props to Nintendo, now if only you had some new games worth playing :P

tastethechase
They don't send you a refurbished PS3. If you send them your 60GB launch PS3, they'll repair it and send it back to you. I agree that $150 is too much, but at least you're getting your own system. You'll also get 90 more days of warranty coverage after you get it back.
FamiBox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 FamiBox
Member since 2007 • 5481 Posts

wow... MS repaired my 360 for free... gave me another 1 year warranty... and a free month of Live.

PoppaGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 PoppaGamer
Member since 2009 • 1629 Posts
This dude is full of ****! Sony does NOT give you back an 80GB if you send in a 60GB. You get back the exact same model-type you send in. I am speaking from experience. /fakeness
tastethechase

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 tastethechase

This dude is full of ****! Sony does NOT give you back an 80GB if you send in a 60GB. You get back the exact same model-type you send in. I am speaking from experience. /fakenessPoppaGamer

have been reading other forums where people have been getting different models back and Sony have compensated with games and or accessories....also chance of getting back a discontinued model would be pretty low unless the failure rate is alot higher than what the Sony fanboys like to admitt.

i see you made no mention of the rediculous fee Sony charge to give you a refurbished model, i'd expect MY console back for that price so i dont have to redownload everything.....actually no i'd expect Sony to own up to a problem which has plagued it with every console its released and fix it for free.

all in all MS repair service >>>>>> Sony repair service

PoppaGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 PoppaGamer

[QUOTE="PoppaGamer"]This dude is full of ****! Sony does NOT give you back an 80GB if you send in a 60GB. You get back the exact same model-type you send in. I am speaking from experience. /fakenesstastethechase

have been reading other forums where people have been getting different models back and Sony have compensated with games and or accessories....also chance of getting back a discontinued model would be pretty low unless the failure rate is alot higher than what the Sony fanboys like to admitt.

i see you made no mention of the rediculous fee Sony charge to give you a refurbished model, i'd expect MY console back for that price so i dont have to redownload everything.....actually no i'd expect Sony to own up to a problem which has plagued it with every console its released and fix it for free.

YOU mentioned the fee, why do I need to? Read my blog, I had it happen recently. I paid $150, sent in a 60GB model, and got back a 60GB within 2 weeks.

Lame I had to pay $150 for it. BUT GUIESS WHAT??!?! THAT HAPPENS WITH ANY CONSOLE MANUFACTURER! MS doesn't cover the 360 for free, just the RRoD issues.

I was pissed at Sony for a few days. But then I relaized I really had NOTHING to moan about. Until my refurbished model takes a dump, PS3 hasn't been proven as unreliable to me. I had mine for over 2 years and used the hell out of it, seriously. Should it have lasted double that time, absolutely. But it didn't. Just like 100's of 360's that head back to MS every week that aren't covered under RRoD.

How blind you are to think you don't have people with the Wii and the 360 having the exact same issue as you. AND THE WORST PART OF ALL, you haven't even had this happen to you (the getting a 80Gb instead of 60). YOU READ IT ON SOME FORUM. Great work detective. Why don't you see what you get or talk to customer service about your issue. I asked for an 800GB because I wanted a brand new model and not a refurbished 60GB (I could care less about BC). They told me that wasn't possible and that I got back the same type I sent in. And here you are, claiming Sony's stance is the opposite. Even though I just lived it and you read a forum.

litewo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 litewo
Member since 2005 • 333 Posts
No I should be able to let someone borrow a game without having them borrow my systemWolfang07
Don't lend friends money and NEVER lend them your games.
PoppaGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 PoppaGamer
[QUOTE="Wolfang07"]No I should be able to let someone borrow a game without having them borrow my systemlitewo

But if its a digital copy of a game, there's no risk in losing it or scratching it like a disc. The only problem is, they haven't made that possible yet on consoles. And that's what Wolfgang was saying.
itzagir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 itzagir
Member since 2008 • 726 Posts
[QUOTE="tastethechase"]

You just wait until all the cool kids start downloading M-rated games without the hassle of convincing their moms to buy them that gory shooter.
Hexagon_777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Hexagon_777
Member since 2007 • 20348 Posts

[QUOTE="Wolfang07"]No I should be able to let someone borrow a game without having them borrow my systemlitewo

I endorse this post.

itzagir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 itzagir
Member since 2008 • 726 Posts
Also, if people support DD too much, it may go the Steam way and do things that are completely unappealing, like only being able to play online (what is the offline mode for?!).
tumle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 tumle
Member since 2004 • 1274 Posts

sad to here tc.

but about downloaded content on the ps3, as far as i know the downloaded content is not logged to you're ps3 but to you're account, so if you're friend has a ps3 you can just create you're account on his ps3 and download the full game to his ps3, but i do think they have a limit, that says you can only download it to 5 different ps3. I have to look it up but I'm pretty sure:)

cowgriller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 cowgriller
Member since 2008 • 3153 Posts

[QUOTE="tastethechase"]

itzagir

You just wait until all the cool kids start downloading M-rated games without the hassle of convincing their moms to buy them that gory shooter.

consoles have built -in parental control features which can limit games and movies to a certain level such as e-10 or t-rated games or pg-13 rated movies. it depends on the parental settings that th user (or the users mother) puts in. also, in the case of the 360, your gamertag is linked to your live account (hotmail, that's what it's called now) so if your hotmail/live account says your under 18, you will automatically be restricted to what you can download. personally, i wouldn't wager a bet on that last one. i don't have parental settings on my 360 and because i'm 23, ms doesn't restrict anything, not even ads.

Avatar image for deactivated-61010a1ed19f4
deactivated-61010a1ed19f4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#22 deactivated-61010a1ed19f4
Member since 2007 • 3235 Posts

I dont think they are going to put many fulll titles on PSN,

Not when they are trying to push blu-ray

cowgriller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 cowgriller
Member since 2008 • 3153 Posts

I dont think they are going to put many fulll titles on PSN,

Not when they are trying to push blu-ray

scottiescott238

the thread is about the tc's ps3 getting dre, not actually about dd. he's just trying to make light of the situation.

Jrfanfreak88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#24 Jrfanfreak88
Member since 2008 • 1792 Posts
[QUOTE="litewo"][QUOTE="Wolfang07"]No I should be able to let someone borrow a game without having them borrow my systemPoppaGamer

But if its a digital copy of a game, there's no risk in losing it or scratching it like a disc. The only problem is, they haven't made that possible yet on consoles. And that's what Wolfgang was saying.

You don't have to worry about Blu Ray discs scratching though, unless your friend is taking a dremel to it. You can download the game up to 5 times on 5 different consoles so if you have an internet connection you can still let them experience a downloaded game if you wish.
Avatar image for metalgear-solid
metalgear-solid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#25 metalgear-solid
Member since 2004 • 7001 Posts

The PS3 rules, no doubt about that.

Jrfanfreak88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#26 Jrfanfreak88
Member since 2008 • 1792 Posts

[QUOTE="PoppaGamer"]This dude is full of ****! Sony does NOT give you back an 80GB if you send in a 60GB. You get back the exact same model-type you send in. I am speaking from experience. /fakenesstastethechase

So you admit that this information is from "reading other forums"? Does this not mean you're basically posting misleading information? Sony fixes all consoles for free under their one year warranty provided it's the console's fault. After that it's $150 to get a refurbished model. The only reason you can say Microsoft's repair service is better is because they had to increase their warranty term to three years because of the incredible volume of 360's getting RROD out of the one year warranty.
naruto7777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#27 naruto7777
Member since 2007 • 8059 Posts
yes i want DD
imprezawrx500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 imprezawrx500
Member since 2004 • 19187 Posts
Also, if people support DD too much, it may go the Steam way and do things that are completely unappealing, like only being able to play online (what is the offline mode for?!).itzagir
what do you mean? all sp games work fine in offline mode.
Gxgear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Gxgear
Member since 2003 • 10425 Posts

The title of the thread is very misleading.

Your console broke. It happens. Just move on.