Digital vs. Hard Copy

This topic is locked from further discussion.

sHaDyCuBe321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 sHaDyCuBe321
Member since 2003 • 5769 Posts

I've been thinking about this for quite some time and wanted to ask for System Wars opinions and reasoning.

Will you be purchasing your games digitally or the good ol' fashion way? Why?

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52426 Posts

Hard copy. I can resell them or lend them out.

I have nothing against buying games digitally. I just prefer physical.

k2theswiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By k2theswiss
Member since 2007 • 16599 Posts

I prefer digital. But the priceing on consoles is a joke. On pc you can get brand new game release around 45, to me that balance the con of not being able sell it. Hope some time in the future. Ms/sony let amazon and . Other stores sell codes, iy would add some competitive priceing

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 clyde46
Member since 2005 • 49061 Posts

As a PC gamer, digital all the way. I don't have the room for a mountain of discs.

Avatar image for princessgomez92
PrincessGomez92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 201

User Lists: 5

#5 PrincessGomez92
Member since 2013 • 5747 Posts

Hard copy any day. Plus that new game smell.

Joedgabe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#6 Joedgabe
Member since 2006 • 5134 Posts

Digital has a lot more advantages than physical... however i do rather like having a physical copy. Maybe it's just the art box? idk... but i enjoy having more physical copy for my home consoles. However for handhelds Digital is the best way to go.

AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By AmazonTreeBoa
Member since 2011 • 16745 Posts

Depends on which system I am buying the game for.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

well I have a PC, so pretty much all digital. Generally significantly cheaper as well

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#9 Renegade_Fury
Member since 2003 • 21701 Posts

Unless it's a pc game, it's hard copy all the way for me.

comptonst88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 comptonst88
Member since 2012 • 348 Posts

I almost always buy my retail games in physical copy and purchase smaller arcade titles digitally. But with PS+ on PS4, I might be downloading some PS+ free titles to my console in the future.

TheTruthIsREAL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 TheTruthIsREAL
Member since 2013 • 813 Posts

Digital for me but only because of location. I don't want to drive miles from my town just to pick a copy up when I can just download it

sHaDyCuBe321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 sHaDyCuBe321
Member since 2003 • 5769 Posts

@AmazonTreeBoa said:

Agree to an extent. I'm thinking definitely all digital for Xbox One because of the ease to go from game to game. And I have a 3TB HD that I'm attaching to it.

I'll be upgrading my PS4 hardrive sooner than later as well though.

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#13  Edited By Telekill
Member since 2003 • 12061 Posts

I'll be buying a physical copy whenever possible. I don't trust any company with digital only content.

Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#14  Edited By Gue1
Member since 2004 • 12171 Posts

I will never buy 40-50GB's game digitally since it would take me like a week to download it. Small indie games will be the only ones I'll be buying digital.

psymon100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By psymon100
Member since 2012 • 6835 Posts

So far, I'm setting myself up for a digital gen.

I've started to get pissed off with how much space video games take up. Especially considering I'm not playing these games which take up so much space!

Instead I'm buying digitally, all the games are there at the click of a button, no discs to find or plastic boxes to lose etc.

Plus I just got a great racing game for PC, so I might not even need a console this gen.

gameofthering

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#16 gameofthering
Member since 2004 • 11286 Posts

PC = Digital

Everything else = Physical

heretrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#17  Edited By heretrix
Member since 2004 • 37881 Posts

ti depends on the situation.If I'm at local shop and the hard copy is cheap, sure why not? But digital has some amazing sales and I can get them without ever leaving the house. I'm not firmly against one or the other. My friends buy their own stuff so we generally don't lend to each other, We just gift stuff through Steam.

Salt_The_Fries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Salt_The_Fries
Member since 2008 • 12480 Posts

@heretrix said:

ti depends on the situation.If I'm at local shop and the hard copy is cheap, sure why not? But digital has some amazing sales and I can get them without ever leaving the house. I'm not firmly against one or the other. My friends buy their own stuff so we generally don't lend to each other, We just gift stuff through Steam.

I'm exactly the same way, my friend.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#19  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44557 Posts

The benefits should be quite simple, digital lowers production and distribution costs and should make for cheaper games... though that's not really what happens. Digital can also allow for more flexible pricing, doubt Sony or MS will try to match Steam in that sense.

Digital titles save bookshelf room for gamers, especially ones that buy lots of games. They don't wear out the disc drive. They play off the HDD so no disc swapping (hey, it might happen even with Blu-ray), and no need to swap discs between games. And if they do it right it can cut down on used game sales which can help publishers, so publishers don't dismantle studios when games fail to be blockbusters as games can generate better revenues over longer periods of time.

Problem though with consoles, BC being a thing of the past there's less retention of product and/or rights. We need a solution to this, I feel it should take the route of cross platform rights sharing like if you buy an X1 game you get the ability to download it on both your X1 and PC, same for PS4, get the digital rights for PS4 and PC. That way years from now you can play your games on your PC when your console hardware wears out and you can't get replacement consoles.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60712 Posts

no reason for me to buy digital version of a game, unless there is substantial savings over physical disk. You cant trade in or sell digital copies either.

Szminsky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Szminsky
Member since 2005 • 1471 Posts

On PC = digital. On console = physical.

NameIess_One

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 NameIess_One
Member since 2013 • 1077 Posts

Digital, no contest.

Cheaper prices, and no need to deal with a mountain of discs. They take a lot of room, can get lost, damaged, whatever... with digital, things are far more convenient and organized.

Salt_The_Fries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Salt_The_Fries
Member since 2008 • 12480 Posts
@NameIess_One said:

Digital, no contest.

Cheaper prices, and no need to deal with a mountain of discs. They take a lot of room, can get lost, damaged, whatever... with digital, things are far more convenient and organized.

Plus if you live in a country with unfavourable conditions to live and you frequently sell or trade in your games, then at least you know that you're gonna keep a digital copy FOREVER.

DaBrainz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 DaBrainz
Member since 2007 • 7959 Posts

Digital. Those plastic discs are archaic.

AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 AmazonTreeBoa

@sHaDyCuBe321 said:

@AmazonTreeBoa said:

Agree to an extent. I'm thinking definitely all digital for Xbox One because of the ease to go from game to game. And I have a 3TB HD that I'm attaching to it.

I'll be upgrading my PS4 hardrive sooner than later as well though.

For me it is

PC = Digital at all times unless it is retail only or a dirt cheap deal for retail.

PS4 = Retail at all times unless it is a digital only game or a dirt cheap deal on digital.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#26  Edited By lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61478 Posts

@freedomfreak said:

Hard copy. I can resell them or lend them out.

I have nothing against buying games digitally. I just prefer physical.

For consoles... This.

PC is all digital, for me.

adamosmaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#27 adamosmaki
Member since 2007 • 10718 Posts

stopped buying retail about 4 years ago. Even with only a 6mbps DSL line i still prefer the convenience of DD services even if it takes me 8-10 hours to download a 20+ Gb game.

fend_oblivion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 fend_oblivion
Member since 2006 • 6760 Posts

I'd love to go digital but thanks to the crappy internet speeds here, that is just not possible. So hard copy it is for me.

edidili

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 edidili
Member since 2004 • 3449 Posts

I went digital since my brand new 360 made a lovely circle on my brand new disc and I went hermit.

Not really a fan of archaic tech.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

@sHaDyCuBe321 said:

I've been thinking about this for quite some time and wanted to ask for System Wars opinions and reasoning.

Will you be purchasing your games digitally or the good ol' fashion way? Why?

Collection value is with hard copies. I hate digital unless it's the only way to buy. I own probably over a thousand digital products/games and they aren't worth a damn. I can also sell my hardcopies as well, so besides being worth money as a collector, the ability to trade and sell is significant for me. I also find deals on retail hardcopies for pennies on the dollar, so it's not like I don't save money with hardcopy games. There's deals on digital AND Hardcopy retail games, if you look.

My answer is I buy games the good ol' fashioned way and I only buy digital games for ON SALE/CHEAP and only when those games are NOT available as a Hardcopy.

One example is Diablo 3. I bought quite a few copies of that on PC ON SALE due to stupid Blizzard always connecting online DRM, and that was before they announced a collectible, resellable console late port. I would have skipped the PC version if I knew I could have waited for that console version (PS3, PS4, 360). I will probably end up buying the PS4 version with expansion for $20 next year. I bought multiple copies of Diablo III and Starcraft 2 because at the time they were PC exclusives and I have multiple PC gaming rigs. I like PC gaming, but I use these machines for PC EXCLUSIVES since as a consumer I don't support the inability to sell/trade my games. Furthermore, I have a sizable collection of retro games that are worth $$$. Monetarily speaking, my digital games on PC and consoles (Wii VC, XBLA, PSN, Steam, etc) aren't worth jack $hit.

It's funny, my PC version of Diablo 1 and Starcraft 1 aren't worth much. Strangely my PSOne Diablo and N64 Starcraft are worth a lot money. That's something to consider. It takes experience to recognize this, but I know we live in a disposable society. People accumulate Digital games they don't like and can't sell them off, unlike hardcopies.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#31  Edited By deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

Retail unless I am buying for handhelds or PC.

RossRichard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 RossRichard
Member since 2007 • 3738 Posts

Hard copies for me. Digital is awesome, until you lose access to games you paid for. Happened to me more than once.

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

Hard as much as I can.

treedoor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 treedoor
Member since 2004 • 7648 Posts

I'd go all-digital for everything if the perks matched that of the PC.

As it stands I find it worrisome to consider buying digital games for any of the consoles or handhelds.

AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 AmazonTreeBoa

@treedoor said:

As it stands I find it worrisome to consider buying digital games for any of the consoles or handhelds.

I would be more open to supporting DD on consoles if console were like PC in the fact that I can play all my old DD games. When I get my PS4, I can't play any of my DD games that I bought on my PS3. I build a new PC and I can play all the games I had on my last PC no issue. If they made a policy so that all PS4 DD games would work on all future Sony consoles, then I would support DD on the PS4.

treedoor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By treedoor
Member since 2004 • 7648 Posts

@AmazonTreeBoa said:

@treedoor said:

I would be more open to supporting DD on consoles if console were like PC in the fact that I can play all my old DD games. When I get my PS4, I can't play any of my DD games that I bought on my PS3. I build a new PC and I can play all the games I had on my last PC no issue. If they made a policy so that all PS4 DD games would work on all future Sony consoles, then I would support DD on the PS4.

Yep.

I feel there's very little security to DD on consoles, but in addition to that, there are no perks that come with choosing DD over Physical regardless. In fact, I'd say there are less reasons to go with DD on consoles than retail.

Then you Nintendo who take it to the next level, and lock digital games to the hardware rather than an account, so if your 3DS or Wii U get stolen, or break, then good bye games.

IgGy621985

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By IgGy621985
Member since 2004 • 5922 Posts

Digital ones are usually much cheaper, but I like collector's editions in physical form.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

You do realise every other industry doesn't pit distrobution methods against one another to see which is better.

Nope. They want their product/service to available in everyway possible to as many people as possibe, theres no room for crap like like only available on this platform to special members. Games get in their own way.

Avatar image for deactivated-59b71619573a1
deactivated-59b71619573a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 deactivated-59b71619573a1
Member since 2007 • 38222 Posts

I'd be 100% digital if my internet was faster

Right now I'm about 85% digital.

Spartan070

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Spartan070
Member since 2004 • 16497 Posts

As a semi-retired collector, hard copy is in my dna but this gen I'm willing to go more either or.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f19d4c9d7318
deactivated-5f19d4c9d7318

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 deactivated-5f19d4c9d7318
Member since 2008 • 4166 Posts

@k2theswiss said:

I prefer digital. But the priceing on consoles is a joke. On pc you can get brand new game release around 45, to me that balance the con of not being able sell it. Hope some time in the future. Ms/sony let amazon and . Other stores sell codes, iy would add some competitive priceing

Sony have just done this for PS3 titles!

I'm hoping Sony add Amazon buying for the PS4 and also spread it to my region. I've been looking on Amazon and the PS3 titles they're now stocking are at much lower prices than PSN, if they do it for the PS4 it's a game changer for me as it makes DD realistically affordable on console.

I'm hoping we might even find games cheaper as DD titles on Amazon than retail soon and they're often the best priced place for games already. Given Amazon wouldn't have to do anything with postage, storage and handling i'm hoping the savings might trickle down a bit to encourage DD purchase over retail.

Play as you download makes it more practical now too, apparently you're looking at an hour downloading tops on an ok internet connection before you can play.

Videodogg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Videodogg
Member since 2002 • 12611 Posts

This generation, im going all digital. It will force me to purchase less games and value the ones i do buy. I have a bad habit of buying games and not finishing them. Certain genres i will completely ignore this time around, like RPG's and most sports games. I always bought games that got good reviews or highly recommended from forum members, several rpg games like the Fallout games, Skyrim, etc, but i never played any of them because they bored me. No, i am sticking to genres i like no matter what people in these forums think about them. I like racing, some first person shooters, platformers, some action games, some fighting games, some casual party games and indies. I bought a 1.5 TB HDD for my PS4 and i am good to go.

FinalFighters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By FinalFighters
Member since 2013 • 3410 Posts

@clyde46 said:

As a PC gamer, digital all the way. I don't have the room for a mountain of discs.

yup, same reason for me. i dont have shelf space for bunches of game cases

k2theswiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#44 k2theswiss
Member since 2007 • 16599 Posts

@hoosier7 said:

@k2theswiss said:

Sony have just done this for PS3 titles!

I'm hoping Sony add Amazon buying for the PS4 and also spread it to my region. I've been looking on Amazon and the PS3 titles they're now stocking are at much lower prices than PSN, if they do it for the PS4 it's a game changer for me as it makes DD realistically affordable on console.

I'm hoping we might even find games cheaper as DD titles on Amazon than retail soon and they're often the best priced place for games already. Given Amazon wouldn't have to do anything with postage, storage and handling i'm hoping the savings might trickle down a bit to encourage DD purchase over retail.

Play as you download makes it more practical now too, apparently you're looking at an hour downloading tops on an ok internet connection before you can play.

yes they did, MS will have to follow suit. Well MS has few games on amazon for online codes but not many.

donalbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#45 donalbane
Member since 2003 • 16383 Posts

@sHaDyCuBe321: all digital. Every release is a midnight launch... In your home.