Digital Sharing Incoming

  • 72 results
  • 1
  • 2

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by kuu2 (7961 posts) -

All Digital Is Awesome

The team working on the Xbox One home console at Microsoft says that many of the features that were initially associated with the next-gen consoles are still being explored, despite the fact that the company has not talked about them officially since 2013.

Speaking in a Gamertag Radio podcast, Phil Spencer, the leader of the division dealing with the gaming platform, says that developers are constantly looking for ways to improve the long-term user experience.

He states, “We looked at the digital features that we had talked about last year and as a gamer, there were a lot of those features that I think really resonated and were smart features for people who really have a lot of games and maybe play on a couple consoles or have bunch of people in the house or want to share with friends.”

All of the ideas are still on the roadmap for firmware updates for the Xbox One, but it’s unclear when they might actually be released.

Spencer says that the problem at the moment is that game disks features Digital Rights Management solutions and they need to be removed or bypassed in order for a family sharing feature to work properly.

Can't wait for this feature and this is what MSoft should have been talking up since the beginning. I also have a feeling that this feature will be behind LIVE.

#2 Posted by BldgIrsh (3000 posts) -

Nice.

#3 Posted by SecretPolice (23551 posts) -

The One is sounding better & better, keep it up.

#5 Posted by GrenadeLauncher (6256 posts) -

Always-online DRM incoming. They'll sneak it in with Crackdown.

#6 Posted by Animal-Mother (27137 posts) -

Ehh as great as digital features are i'd love to see it in action before anything. Sharing across anywhere leads to problems, especially streaming rates

#7 Posted by lglz1337 (4195 posts) -

plz buy our system! we give you back DRM

#8 Posted by Krelian-co (13098 posts) -

So where is the news. did i miss something? All i see is PR bs.

#9 Posted by GrenadeLauncher (6256 posts) -

@Krelian-co said:

So where is the news. did i miss something? All i see is PR bs.

"J-just you wait, guys, we'll give you this poorly-planned feature we thought up quickly so we could try and make you feel bad for rejecting our awful product!"

Lemmings will fall for any old flannel.

#10 Posted by kuu2 (7961 posts) -

@Animal-Mother said:

Ehh as great as digital features are i'd love to see it in action before anything. Sharing across anywhere leads to problems, especially streaming rates

Does your IP throttle you back?

I have Cox and have downloaded all of my games so far and have not had any problems.

#11 Edited by donalbane (16379 posts) -

My faith in this feature is one of the main reasons I've gone all digital this gen. I have friends from college and high school that live all over the country, and it would be great to trade games with them. I haven't tried it on Steam yet, but I most likely will the next time I go on vacation... I can loan my game collection to a friend.

#12 Posted by SecretPolice (23551 posts) -

This thread needs mooaar Cow Bell....orrr Not !! :P

#13 Posted by Animal-Mother (27137 posts) -

@kuu2 said:

@Animal-Mother said:

Ehh as great as digital features are i'd love to see it in action before anything. Sharing across anywhere leads to problems, especially streaming rates

Does your IP throttle you back?

I have Cox and have downloaded all of my games so far and have not had any problems.

Luckily I don't get throttled. But unfortunately it's not like that for a lot of people in some places. Bandwidth caps, throttles yada yada.

#14 Posted by blue_hazy_basic (28560 posts) -

Great news if it gets implemented, hope Sony looks at this too. lolz @ the DC foaming forth.

#15 Edited by Animal-Mother (27137 posts) -

@blue_hazy_basic: Well wasn't it one of the features initially revealed with the PS4? Kind of play your friends games?

#16 Posted by Heil68 (47174 posts) -

We'll see how it gets implemented. I'm all for it, but I'm skeptical they will let you buy a game, then lend it to all your friends. At the very least publishers wont like that one bit either.

#17 Posted by clyde46 (47578 posts) -

@kuu2 said:

@Animal-Mother said:

Ehh as great as digital features are i'd love to see it in action before anything. Sharing across anywhere leads to problems, especially streaming rates

Does your IP throttle you back?

I have Cox and have downloaded all of my games so far and have not had any problems.

Streaming is harder on a connection than downloading.

#18 Posted by blue_hazy_basic (28560 posts) -

@Animal-Mother said:

@blue_hazy_basic: Well wasn't it one of the features initially revealed with the PS4? Kind of play your friends games?

Family/friend sharing? Don't think so, although not sure? MS announced it than backed away. People who had a PS3 can correct me but think you could do some kind of sharing but it got discontinued? My knowledge is sadly lacking tbh.

#19 Edited by clyde46 (47578 posts) -

@blue_hazy_basic said:

@Animal-Mother said:

@blue_hazy_basic: Well wasn't it one of the features initially revealed with the PS4? Kind of play your friends games?

Family/friend sharing? Don't think so, although not sure? MS announced it than backed away. People who had a PS3 can correct me but think you could do some kind of sharing but it got discontinued? My knowledge is sadly lacking tbh.

Steam has game sharing.

#20 Posted by blue_hazy_basic (28560 posts) -

@clyde46 said:

@blue_hazy_basic said:

@Animal-Mother said:

@blue_hazy_basic: Well wasn't it one of the features initially revealed with the PS4? Kind of play your friends games?

Family/friend sharing? Don't think so, although not sure? MS announced it than backed away. People who had a PS3 can correct me but think you could do some kind of sharing but it got discontinued? My knowledge is sadly lacking tbh.

Steam has game sharing.

Full sharing? I know it introduced streaming from one PC to another on the same network which is kind of awesome.

#21 Edited by clyde46 (47578 posts) -

@blue_hazy_basic said:

@clyde46 said:

@blue_hazy_basic said:

@Animal-Mother said:

@blue_hazy_basic: Well wasn't it one of the features initially revealed with the PS4? Kind of play your friends games?

Family/friend sharing? Don't think so, although not sure? MS announced it than backed away. People who had a PS3 can correct me but think you could do some kind of sharing but it got discontinued? My knowledge is sadly lacking tbh.

Steam has game sharing.

Full sharing? I know it introduced streaming from one PC to another on the same network which is kind of awesome.

#22 Posted by finalstar2007 (25983 posts) -

Where exactly does it say that its coming? all he says is that its nice and the team unclear when it will happen, when it will come out or if it ever will.

PSN have had this feature since PS3, you can share with one other person in regards to digital games

#23 Posted by MBirdy88 (9008 posts) -

@clyde46 said:

@blue_hazy_basic said:

@clyde46 said:

@blue_hazy_basic said:

@Animal-Mother said:

@blue_hazy_basic: Well wasn't it one of the features initially revealed with the PS4? Kind of play your friends games?

Family/friend sharing? Don't think so, although not sure? MS announced it than backed away. People who had a PS3 can correct me but think you could do some kind of sharing but it got discontinued? My knowledge is sadly lacking tbh.

Steam has game sharing.

Full sharing? I know it introduced streaming from one PC to another on the same network which is kind of awesome.

How does this even work? can 2 "family members" play the same game at the same time? I doubt it?6

#24 Edited by BldgIrsh (3000 posts) -

@MBirdy88: Two people can't play at the same time. But, in essence especially if its for a family. You'll only need to purchase one game for everyone and the stats/skills are saved to the account of each player. So everyone could have different progressions through single player and multiplayer.

http://store.steampowered.com/sharing/

#25 Posted by ghostwarrior786 (5811 posts) -

well future is digital so they should implement something like steam does

@MBirdy88 said:

@clyde46 said:

@blue_hazy_basic said:

@clyde46 said:

@blue_hazy_basic said:

@Animal-Mother said:

@blue_hazy_basic: Well wasn't it one of the features initially revealed with the PS4? Kind of play your friends games?

Family/friend sharing? Don't think so, although not sure? MS announced it than backed away. People who had a PS3 can correct me but think you could do some kind of sharing but it got discontinued? My knowledge is sadly lacking tbh.

Steam has game sharing.

Full sharing? I know it introduced streaming from one PC to another on the same network which is kind of awesome.

How does this even work? can 2 "family members" play the same game at the same time? I doubt it?6

can they balls, its like lending a disc, except u lend all ur steam library. game can only be accessed by one person at a time

#26 Posted by MBirdy88 (9008 posts) -

@ghostwarrior786 said:

well future is digital so they should implement something like steam does

@MBirdy88 said:

@clyde46 said:

@blue_hazy_basic said:

@clyde46 said:

@blue_hazy_basic said:

@Animal-Mother said:

@blue_hazy_basic: Well wasn't it one of the features initially revealed with the PS4? Kind of play your friends games?

Family/friend sharing? Don't think so, although not sure? MS announced it than backed away. People who had a PS3 can correct me but think you could do some kind of sharing but it got discontinued? My knowledge is sadly lacking tbh.

Steam has game sharing.

Full sharing? I know it introduced streaming from one PC to another on the same network which is kind of awesome.

How does this even work? can 2 "family members" play the same game at the same time? I doubt it?6

can they balls, its like lending a disc, except u lend all ur steam library. game can only be accessed by one person at a time

it makes sense.... though perhaps some games should have an exception when they are on the local (not virtual local - if they can even detect that) for proper co-op gaming... but oh well... might be asking abit much.

#27 Edited by ghostwarrior786 (5811 posts) -

@blue_hazy_basic said:

@Animal-Mother said:

@blue_hazy_basic: Well wasn't it one of the features initially revealed with the PS4? Kind of play your friends games?

Family/friend sharing? Don't think so, although not sure? MS announced it than backed away. People who had a PS3 can correct me but think you could do some kind of sharing but it got discontinued? My knowledge is sadly lacking tbh.

on xbox and ps3 u can sign into a friends console, download a game that is attached to your profile and then your friend will have access to it forever. im not sure if u can play at the same time though but im pretty sure u can.

#28 Posted by BldgIrsh (3000 posts) -

@ghostwarrior786: You can play it at the same time. Done this before on the ps3. With the new update though it only allows max of 2 devices per digital game though. So the main device and one over. The problem with this is obviously giving them your credentials and that one pays for it all (unless you are nice, and offer half the price.)

#29 Posted by Dire_Weasel (16206 posts) -

@kuu2 said:

All Digital Is Awesome

The team working on the Xbox One home console at Microsoft says that many of the features that were initially associated with the next-gen consoles are still being explored, despite the fact that the company has not talked about them officially since 2013.

Speaking in a Gamertag Radio podcast, Phil Spencer, the leader of the division dealing with the gaming platform, says that developers are constantly looking for ways to improve the long-term user experience.

He states, “We looked at the digital features that we had talked about last year and as a gamer, there were a lot of those features that I think really resonated and were smart features for people who really have a lot of games and maybe play on a couple consoles or have bunch of people in the house or want to share with friends.”

All of the ideas are still on the roadmap for firmware updates for the Xbox One, but it’s unclear when they might actually be released.

Spencer says that the problem at the moment is that game disks features Digital Rights Management solutions and they need to be removed or bypassed in order for a family sharing feature to work properly.

Can't wait for this feature and this is what MSoft should have been talking up since the beginning. I also have a feeling that this feature will be behind LIVE.

Awful thread title. In no way does that announce that sharing is incoming for the Xbox One.

Wishful thinking is Ok, lies in the topic are not.

#30 Posted by tormentos (20176 posts) -

@blue_hazy_basic said:

Great news if it gets implemented, hope Sony looks at this too. lolz @ the DC foaming forth.

Sony had it last gen you could share PSN games on PS3 with up to 5 people...

It was abuse to hell and beyond,you could even share DLC i did that is how i got COD map packs..

#31 Posted by bbkkristian (14967 posts) -

A good idea would be to use steam as an inspiration point. Steam did a good job on their family sharing feature.

#32 Posted by shawn30 (4367 posts) -

@kuu2 said:

All Digital Is Awesome

The team working on the Xbox One home console at Microsoft says that many of the features that were initially associated with the next-gen consoles are still being explored, despite the fact that the company has not talked about them officially since 2013.

Speaking in a Gamertag Radio podcast, Phil Spencer, the leader of the division dealing with the gaming platform, says that developers are constantly looking for ways to improve the long-term user experience.

He states, “We looked at the digital features that we had talked about last year and as a gamer, there were a lot of those features that I think really resonated and were smart features for people who really have a lot of games and maybe play on a couple consoles or have bunch of people in the house or want to share with friends.”

All of the ideas are still on the roadmap for firmware updates for the Xbox One, but it’s unclear when they might actually be released.

Spencer says that the problem at the moment is that game disks features Digital Rights Management solutions and they need to be removed or bypassed in order for a family sharing feature to work properly.

Can't wait for this feature and this is what MSoft should have been talking up since the beginning. I also have a feeling that this feature will be behind LIVE.

I can't wait to try out the family sharing. Honestly, so long as everyone has the choice to still play/trade/lend their physical games the way they always have, but if you want to try a always online approach and can switch anytime you choose, this will be a great success. Its always been about choice. Those that want things to remain the same can have that, those interested in the always online aspects can have that too. Everyone is happy. Do it MS!!!!!!

#33 Edited by High-Res (273 posts) -

Well...F them. They took the $100.00 a year 4 Account Family Plan and made it $240.00 a Year for the same four accounts.

They knew the entire time when the "Master" of the Family Plan purchased a digital game they should have issued rights to the other 3 accounts associated with it for free. Since Family Plan all shared the same "Billing" and points were divided out by the "Master" account. (I understand not allowing all four access to it simultaneously) but they wouldn't let any of them have access.

Bottom line is they are getting their world rocked by Sony. That's all there is to it! Freaking Sony gives NBA 2k14 out for Free in the middle of the NBA Playoff's!!!!

Then, They give Pro-Evolution Soccer 2014 away before World Cup Starts.

#34 Posted by Shewgenja (11012 posts) -

Farcry 4 on the PS4 says "Hi, and thanks for catching up.. maybe."

#35 Posted by pelvist (5245 posts) -

LOL@ Retail outlets if this comes to fruition.

#36 Posted by BldgIrsh (3000 posts) -

@pelvist: Retail outlets like GameStop are actually mitigating this change by closing down stores all over and slowly switching to digital.

#37 Posted by High-Res (273 posts) -

Most people are EXTREMELY uncomfortable with Digital. (I don't know why, I buy the hell out of it).

Just two quick examples, Walking Dead & Minecraft were available Digital for well over a year prior to them being printed on DVD and the Physical copies outsold the digital like 10-1.

This is another main factor in why the Consoles out sold the PC Version of Mincecraft so well...but I don;t want to re-open that whole argument.

#38 Edited by Alcapello (1309 posts) -

Look at the problems this is causing. Good job microsoft.

#39 Posted by donalbane (16379 posts) -

@ghostwarrior786 said:

@blue_hazy_basic said:

@Animal-Mother said:

@blue_hazy_basic: Well wasn't it one of the features initially revealed with the PS4? Kind of play your friends games?

Family/friend sharing? Don't think so, although not sure? MS announced it than backed away. People who had a PS3 can correct me but think you could do some kind of sharing but it got discontinued? My knowledge is sadly lacking tbh.

on xbox and ps3 u can sign into a friends console, download a game that is attached to your profile and then your friend will have access to it forever. im not sure if u can play at the same time though but im pretty sure u can.

Your friend will also have access to your account as well, so I hope it's one hell of a good friend. Oh, and by the by, that method you describes violates Sony's terms of service, so there's that.

#40 Posted by hoosier7 (3976 posts) -

"Incoming" is a bit of stretch, doesn't seem to be anywhere near being implemented. Nice that they've not binned it though.

#41 Posted by delta3074 (18870 posts) -

@GrenadeLauncher said:

@Krelian-co said:

So where is the news. did i miss something? All i see is PR bs.

"J-just you wait, guys, we'll give you this poorly-planned feature we thought up quickly so we could try and make you feel bad for rejecting our awful product!"

Lemmings will fall for any old flannel.

is that anything like promising fanboys 60Fps and 4D graphics, something that never appeared on the Ps3 in the end.

You guys crack me up, you all act as if MS are the only company that does this.

SONY is the worst offender for over promising and then under delivering.

#42 Edited by Daious (2076 posts) -

After reading and listening, it doesn't seem like they are certain about bringing back that 2 hour game share feature. It would be cool though. Definitely not enough information to warrant the misleading title.

#43 Posted by GrenadeLauncher (6256 posts) -

@delta3074 said:

@GrenadeLauncher said:

@Krelian-co said:

So where is the news. did i miss something? All i see is PR bs.

"J-just you wait, guys, we'll give you this poorly-planned feature we thought up quickly so we could try and make you feel bad for rejecting our awful product!"

Lemmings will fall for any old flannel.

is that anything like promising fanboys 60Fps and 4D graphics, something that never appeared on the Ps3 in the end.

You guys crack me up, you all act as if MS are the only company that does this.

SONY is the worst offender for over promising and then under delivering.

Looks like Microsoft stole their crown, then. :)

#44 Posted by ghostwarrior786 (5811 posts) -

@donalbane said:

@ghostwarrior786 said:

@blue_hazy_basic said:

@Animal-Mother said:

@blue_hazy_basic: Well wasn't it one of the features initially revealed with the PS4? Kind of play your friends games?

Family/friend sharing? Don't think so, although not sure? MS announced it than backed away. People who had a PS3 can correct me but think you could do some kind of sharing but it got discontinued? My knowledge is sadly lacking tbh.

on xbox and ps3 u can sign into a friends console, download a game that is attached to your profile and then your friend will have access to it forever. im not sure if u can play at the same time though but im pretty sure u can.

Your friend will also have access to your account as well, so I hope it's one hell of a good friend. Oh, and by the by, that method you describes violates Sony's terms of service, so there's that.

no they wont. u can delete the profile once the games have downloaded because all the games on a harddrive can be accessed by any profile. well at least on x360.

#45 Posted by delta3074 (18870 posts) -

@GrenadeLauncher said:

@delta3074 said:

@GrenadeLauncher said:

@Krelian-co said:

So where is the news. did i miss something? All i see is PR bs.

"J-just you wait, guys, we'll give you this poorly-planned feature we thought up quickly so we could try and make you feel bad for rejecting our awful product!"

Lemmings will fall for any old flannel.

is that anything like promising fanboys 60Fps and 4D graphics, something that never appeared on the Ps3 in the end.

You guys crack me up, you all act as if MS are the only company that does this.

SONY is the worst offender for over promising and then under delivering.

Looks like Microsoft stole their crown, then. :)

Doubt it, MS Can and probably will actually deliver on this, what SONY promised on the Ps3 was never achievable.

#46 Edited by inb4uall (6515 posts) -

How about you focus on getting games out faster?

#47 Posted by CrownKingArthur (5262 posts) -

Spencer says that the problem at the moment is that game disks features Digital Rights Management solutions and they need to be removed or bypassed in order for a family sharing feature to work properly.

what the fuck is this bullshit?

aren't there digital games on the xbox one already?

or is he talking about digitally sharing the disc based version of a game? because I really really doubt that's on the cards.

surely it works like this - discs, traditional physical sharing. not possible to digitally share.

digital games on xbo, implement something similar to Steam Family Sharing. others can access your library if you're not using it, and once you start using your own library they've got 5mins to finish up what they're doing before they're forcibly logged off.

i fail to see how MS can have any barriers to implementing sharing of digital games on XBO this considering the above, and considering that family sharing was always a part of the plan.

#48 Edited by SolidTy (45930 posts) -

The title of the article: Microsoft: Xbox One Might Get Digital Games Sharing Plan

The misleading thread title: Digital Sharing Incoming.

Clearly, there is a misunderstanding because the word MIGHT exists in the original source and with Spencer. So, no it's not incoming, but it might be incoming. You may as well work with M$ PR if you are going to spin harder than Phil Spencer, but Phil can't lie easily, so he needs his fans to lie to the masses across the internet I guess.

Regarding this prospect of sharing DD games: I want to sell my digital games, especially the ones I dislike. Still, sharing would be a positive step and would also show that the anti consumer version of the Xbone wasn't necessary at all. People can share right now though, so these little vague PR spins do nothing for me unless they get more specific.

Unfortunately, this is just a PR piece and means nothing until they officially confirm it's happening. This thread's pretends this is happening, but Phil did not pretend, he's just saying they are looking into it. Phil has a job to do and that's build good press and momentum for the Xbone (which isn't doing so well) so he has to go out and say vague things like this and hope it sticks. Get the people excited for the Xbox brand again. Spin things around. It's his job. It doesn't mean anything will happen, but if it spins people's opinions, it's good enough.

Rather than get HYPEd, I'll just wait and see. IF this was really going to happen, and that's a big IF, this may be an E3 2015 or E3 2016 caliber announcement. There is no point getting worked up in June 2014 as that seems pointless.

All that said, it would certainly finally give an edge to the Xbone over the Wii U and PS4, that's for sure...but being it's so vague, who knows.

It won't change my purchasing habits though, which is to avoid buying console DD games unless they are DD only, and when I do buy console DD it must be on sale since I can't sell/trade that content. Of course, I will be able to lend it if this ever happens. What I really want though is the freedom of physical discs which isn't going to happen and why I will stick to a physical future on consoles as long as I am able.

I know FarCry for PS4 will allow you to invite friends into matches even if they don't have the game. That's amazing feature is something I'd like to see more off in the industry.

#49 Edited by SolidTy (45930 posts) -

@CrownKingArthur said:

Spencer says that the problem at the moment is that game disks features Digital Rights Management solutions and they need to be removed or bypassed in order for a family sharing feature to work properly.

what the fuck is this bullshit?

aren't there digital games on the xbox one already?

or is he talking about digitally sharing the disc based version of a game? because I really really doubt that's on the cards.

surely it works like this - discs, traditional physical sharing. not possible to digitally share.

digital games on xbo, implement something similar to Steam Family Sharing. others can access your library if you're not using it, and once you start using your own library they've got 5mins to finish up what they're doing before they're forcibly logged off.

i fail to see how MS can have any barriers to implementing sharing of digital games on XBO this considering the above, and considering that family sharing was always a part of the plan.

But if you get EXCITED for Xbox branding by this vague PR talk, then the mission was accomplished.

#50 Edited by CrownKingArthur (5262 posts) -
@SolidTy said:

But if you get EXCITED for Xbox branding by this vague PR talk, then the mission was accomplished.

yeah of course mate. and i mean yeah of course - you're right! as opposed to yeah of course, i'm hyped :P

once upon a time i was excited to see games being digitally shared. now i do it at home, every day. mr solid ty, i would not be surprised if the playstation ecosystem introduced a 'family sharing' type of digital sharing option before xbox (not the standard gamesharing, something like steam family sharing).

i just feel like MS needs to get their shit together. they could/should have launched with family sharing and discs simultaneously.