Digital Foundry Murdered Soul Suspect PC/Ps4/X1

#1 Posted by LanceSSJ (882 posts) -

Add another game that cant do AF on PS4 - Strider , Thief , Murdered better on X1 :P. Flame shield activated.

Murdered: Soul Suspect is the latest title that shows a remarkable frame-rate difference between the PS4 and Xbox One, with Airtight Games' release harking back to the 60/30fps divide seen most dramatically in Square-Enix stable-mate, Tomb Raider Definitive Edition. In this case of this release, it's an interesting technical decision that has significant consequences for the experience on Sony's console - both good and bad - and raises an interesting question. Does a mammoth increase in raw frame-rate significantly improve the gameplay experience for this type of game, and are the drawbacks with its specific implementation enough to make Xbox One's capped 30fps the better choice?

As an adventure game with mild action and stealth elements that expand upon the core exploration and crime-scene investigation features, low-latency controls aren't required to really enjoy Murdered: Soul Suspect. However, while running at 60fps still benefits gameplay by providing silky-smooth motion that lower frame-rates simply cannot match, there's definitely a sense that the raw performance throughput of the PS4 game comes at the expense of overall polish. The DirectX 11 Xbox One and PC versions both feel pretty solid, while the faster PS4 title exhibits more noticeable gameplay and rendering bugs, making things feel a little rough around the edges - despite the obvious love and attention that has gone into crafting the atmospheric environments and interesting premise. Things start off promisingly enough with both console versions implementing a native 1080p presentation, and this is backed up by a light layer of post-process anti-aliasing that subtracts a small amount of shimmer from edges without eroding too much sharpness from the overall image. Some texture blur is present, and while this robs the artwork of its most intricate details, the overall impact is milder and less intrusive than many of the post-process solutions we've seen in the past.

However, on a more fundamental level there are a few things that obviously stand out when exploring the gloomy town of Salem. Firstly, Unreal Engine 3 relies on streaming textures and other assets in order to better manage memory usage and the overall rendering load. Transitions between LOD models are generally handled a touch more quickly on the PS4 and PC compared to the Xbox One, but texture streaming is noticeable more buggy on Sony's system, leading to low-resolution artwork displayed on-screen, sometimes on a permanent basis. Texture filtering is also palpably worse on the PS4: both PC and Xbox One versions of Soul Suspect utilise 16x AF (anisotropic filtering), while the effect on Sony's console is noticeably lower, resulting in details becoming blurred when view from a distance. Meanwhile, PC owners get higher-resolution real-time shadows, although it has to be said that this element of the visual make-up looks quite rough on all three platforms.

DF Murdered - Article here.

Posted for the lulz

#2 Posted by Evo_nine (2112 posts) -

B B B BUT UC4 has CGI graphics at 60fps

#3 Posted by lostrib (43966 posts) -

Didn't that game get poor/mediocre ratings?

So honestly, who gives a shit

#4 Posted by GrenadeLauncher (6256 posts) -

Another rushed out B-game underperforms on the PS4. Let's update the list.

Games that do better on the Xbone: Call of Dogs, Thief, Strider, Murdered: Soul Suspect.

Games that do better on the PS4: everything else.

#5 Posted by scatteh316 (5029 posts) -

Lack of decent AF filtering also plauged PS3 too when 360 was better, weird that it's the same this gen despite PS4's advanatage

#6 Posted by freedomfreak (44519 posts) -

Is this game any good? The GB Quick Look made it look really... underwhelming.

#7 Posted by Vatusus (5440 posts) -

@GrenadeLauncher said:

Games that do better on the Xbone: Call of Dogs, Thief, Strider, Murdered: Soul Suspect.

Call of Duty Ghosts is better on the PS4 (1080p > 720p) so, really, its just Thief, Strider (a 2D game lol, but I guess lems must grasp at straws) and Murdered: SS

#8 Posted by Floppy_Jim (25834 posts) -

"Airtight Games' decision to go with an uncapped frame-rate on PS4 provides a tangible boost to temporal resolution and controller response during gameplay, but the impact on cut-scenes results in a distinctly uneven experience that doesn't show the game's more cinematic moments in the best light. It's a really tough one to call, but on balance it's the console version we'd take given the choice"

Should have read the article, TC http://img2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20131120001458/elderscrolls/images/f/f0/Facepalm.gif

#9 Posted by NFJSupreme (5492 posts) -

seems like they should have just went for 30fps on the PS4 version.

#10 Posted by DEadliNE-Zero0 (5660 posts) -

@lostrib said:

#11 Edited by PhazonBlazer (11994 posts) -

Yes, such ownage when an awful game gets a bad port.

Let's pack-up and leave cows, the lems have won the war.

#12 Posted by GrenadeLauncher (6256 posts) -

@Vatusus said:

@GrenadeLauncher said:

Call of Duty Ghosts is better on the PS4 (1080p > 720p) so, really, its just Thief, Strider (a 2D game lol, but I guess lems must grasp at straws) and Murdered: SS

Call of Dogs had the best frame rate on the Xbone whereas it juddered slightly on the PS4. Post-release patching managed to mess it up on the Xbone too though, because IW are just so talented.

#13 Posted by scatteh316 (5029 posts) -
@Vatusus said:

@GrenadeLauncher said:

Theif has missing effects on Xbone compared to PS4 so I think PS4 has the nod on that game.

#14 Posted by edwardecl (2239 posts) -

Wonder what the reason for the issues with the PS4 version are, I can play that game on a 7850 just fine without the issues mentioned so it's not about power.

#15 Posted by LanceX2 (312 posts) -

@scatteh316 said:
@Vatusus said:

@GrenadeLauncher said:

Theif has missing effects on Xbone compared to PS4 so I think PS4 has the nod on that game.

no Thief on PS4 had a lot of other issues that made it worse

#16 Edited by GrenadeLauncher (6256 posts) -

In another strange twist, the official Murdered Twitter feed stated that both versions were 30fps.

Could it be that Squeenix - bear with me, guys - has no idea what it's doing???

#17 Edited by ReadingRainbow4 (16655 posts) -

I'd just like to say that this game is so damn awful. they managed to make a ghost story, murder mystery into one of the most boring games I've ever played.

#18 Posted by Indicud (745 posts) -

In your article,

Digital Foundry:"PS4 is our console of choice for this game"

#19 Posted by hoosier7 (4055 posts) -

@Floppy_Jim said:

"Airtight Games' decision to go with an uncapped frame-rate on PS4 provides a tangible boost to temporal resolution and controller response during gameplay, but the impact on cut-scenes results in a distinctly uneven experience that doesn't show the game's more cinematic moments in the best light. It's a really tough one to call, but on balance it's the console version we'd take given the choice"

Should have read the article, TC

@Indicud said:

In your article,

Odd how this didn't make it into the OP.

#20 Posted by Indicud (745 posts) -

@hoosier7: Thread backfire.....

#21 Posted by tormentos (20517 posts) -

@Evo_nine said:

B B B BUT UC4 has CGI graphics at 60fps

Did Naughty Dog make this game.? Because that is the only way your comment will make sense..

Cut-scene performance is jarring on the PS4: some sequences run smoothly at 60fps, while others operate at 30fps with near-constant tearing. Things are far more consistent on the Xbox One owning to that this version's 30fps cap. However, double-buffered v-sync results in extended drops down to 20fps which look particularly unsightly.

The xbox one has drop into the 20 the PS4 into the 30 most of the video shows 60FPS on PS4 and 30 on xbox one,so yeah 100% difference in frames...wow...

#22 Edited by AM-Gamer (5595 posts) -

So Xbox one -3

PS4- 50+

I would find it concerning the only games on X1 that have any kind of advantage are some of the worst looking games on next gen consoles. I would also find it disturbing that thief runs at a lower res and murdered soul suspect runs at half the frame rate and all the x1 can get is some better AF.

#23 Posted by AM-Gamer (5595 posts) -

@GrenadeLauncher: I remember the PS4 version looked better. And and ran at

a higher res.

#25 Edited by ShepardCommandr (3348 posts) -

@lostrib said:

#26 Posted by Sollet (7616 posts) -

@lostrib said:

Why yes it did.

#27 Posted by B4X (5660 posts) -

The sdk on the PS4 might need some work?

#28 Edited by LustForSoul (5912 posts) -

There's not much going on in that game. At all. It had a nice setting but visually it wasn't impressive at all. My opinion.

#29 Posted by hrt_rulz01 (7419 posts) -

@NFJSupreme said:

seems like they should have just went for 30fps on the PS4 version.

Exactly. This is the problem with everyone whinging about games not being 60FPS... Developers feel pressured to try to do it and end up releasing an unpolished game.

#30 Edited by SolidTy (46192 posts) -

@hoosier7 said:

@Floppy_Jim said:

@Indicud said:

In your article,

That was fast. Misleading thread again. TC's don't read their links. What is happening to SW? lol.

Oh well, it looks to be a terrible game I'll never play (47/100 metascore Xbone, similar low metascores for other platforms too).

#31 Posted by hoosier7 (4055 posts) -

@b4x said:

The sdk on the PS4 might need some work?

Why? It's got the best version of this game?

#32 Edited by santoron (8337 posts) -

@SolidTy said:

@hoosier7 said:

@Floppy_Jim said:

@Indicud said:

In your article,

That was fast. Misleading thread again. TC's don't read their links. What is happening to SW? lol.

Oh well, it looks to be a terrible game I'll never play (47/100 metascore Xbone, similar low metascores for other platforms too).

LMAO

When you're consumed with finding bad news about a thing you don't like instead of good news about things you do, these things happen. A lot.

#33 Edited by Indicud (745 posts) -

Let this be an example to you lems who fail.

Read your damn links!

#34 Posted by TilxWLOC (1163 posts) -

Wow, graphics are just getting to be too much for me. There sure are a lot of components, but even the worst version of this game probably looks good even if it looks slightly worse than another.

Why does everyone care so much? I am asking this question sincerely, I would love a good answer.

#36 Edited by I_can_haz (6511 posts) -

OP didn't even bother reading his own link. TLHBO

#37 Posted by Mr-Kutaragi (2462 posts) -

lol lemtroll are of such low quality these day. Twice framerate and they recommend ps4 version= xbone wins. #Lemlogic

#38 Posted by locopatho (21320 posts) -

It's a crap game that none of us will play and the PS4 version got the better version anyway. Lol.

#39 Edited by Sollet (7616 posts) -

lol, seems like OP abandoned their own thread after major self-ownage.

#40 Posted by FoxbatAlpha (9438 posts) -

Wow, this news was like pissing on the cows parade. Parity is ending.