Digital foundry: Horizon is a technical masterpiece on ps4 and ps4 pro

• 115 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By commander
Member since 2010 • 16217 Posts

Apparently the vanilla ps4 is good enough for horizon, according to digital foundry the ps4 version runs quite smoothly, the words 'very smooth' have even been used.

The ps4 pro version is of course better, especially when you have 4k tv but in terms of performance the game is about the same on both systems. However, the ps4 pro will get a performance option at launch, which probably means 60 fps at 1080p.

aroxx_ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 aroxx_ab
Member since 2005 • 13236 Posts

Not sure i call 30fps "smooth" tho, but yeah game looks fun.

CrashNBurn281

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#3 CrashNBurn281
Member since 2014 • 1574 Posts

Looks like Guerilla Games hit it out of the ballpark. Game looks fantastic, runs fantastic, and is receiving critical praise. It's a great time to game on PS4.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#4 Pedro  Online
Member since 2002 • 69451 Posts

The last technical masterpiece had some rather shitty gameplay and pacing. So, I going to wait this one out.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#5  Edited By KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

so cows have to wait another month to play it at 60fps?

or

you are going to enjoy it at 30fps on your pro lol

pro indeed.

HitmanActual

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 HitmanActual
Member since 2013 • 1351 Posts

Sony slapping Microsoft around like a little bitch.

m_machine024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 m_machine024
Member since 2006 • 15874 Posts

Well it's Guerrilla Games.... not surprised.

DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 DragonfireXZ95
Member since 2005 • 26645 Posts

Looks good, but I can only imagine what it would be like at 60 fps. It would be pretty awesome, indeed.

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By tormentos
Member since 2003 • 33784 Posts

@KBFloYd said:

or

pro indeed.

So at how many frames runs on your wii U? aha do tell..

@Pedro said:

The last technical masterpiece had some rather shitty gameplay and pacing. So, I going to wait this one out.

You didn't see the video didn't you?

It has no frame pacing issues what so ever and is almost always 30 FPS,and when it drops it drop 1 frame...lol

EvanTheGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 EvanTheGamer
Member since 2009 • 1550 Posts

Another glorious ame for PS4!

If you don't have one yet then wtf are you doing with your life??

OhSnapitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By OhSnapitz
Member since 2002 • 19282 Posts

@KBFloYd said:

or

pro indeed.

No Caption Provided

..from someone with a Nintendo Avatar and Nintendo sig..

..anyway.. It seems like a very impressive game and I look forward to playing it.

pdogg93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 pdogg93
Member since 2015 • 1849 Posts

@Pedro: still complaining about UC4 I see. You're in the minority.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56091 Posts

I watch the latest Digital Foundry this morning and I gotta say is, I'm impress. The game keeps a very steady framerate and runs smoothly on "both" systems. As matter of fact, I was very impressed with how well it ran on the regular PS4, especially for being such big open world. Guess I made the right choice and not upgrading my launch PS4 after all.

KEND0_KAP0NI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14 KEND0_KAP0NI
Member since 2016 • 1231 Posts

@crashnburn281 said:

Looks like Guerilla Games hit it out of the ballpark. Game looks fantastic, runs fantastic, and is receiving critical praise. It's a great time to game on PS4.

there is a reason why Kojima decided to go with their engine for his game

ellos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By ellos
Member since 2015 • 2532 Posts

@DragonfireXZ95 said:

Looks good, but I can only imagine what it would be like at 60 fps. It would be pretty awesome, indeed.

You can probably keep imagining that. Every time they talk about these high frame rate modes they end up being not 60 fps. Just unlocked frame that average about 45ish. The pro modest cpu upgrade wont get it there especially for these types of games.

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

No Xbone games will ever reach the graphics of Horizon. Not now, not ever. PS4 being 40% stronger than the Bone was true after all.

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Juub1990
Member since 2013 • 12620 Posts

@silversix_ said:

No Xbone games will ever reach the graphics of Horizon. Not now, not ever. PS4 being 40% stronger than the Bone was true after all.

Scorpio may have a word to say about that.

QuadKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 QuadKnight
Member since 2015 • 12916 Posts

GG must feel really proud. They worked so hard all these years and took a risk, and it's paying off nicely.

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 silversix_

@Juub1990 said:
@silversix_ said:

Scorpio, not the Xbone.

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Juub1990

@quadknight said:

GG must feel really proud. They worked so hard all these years and took a risk, and it's paying off nicely.

Wouldn't say making an open-world RPG is very risky lol. It's quite a popular blend. If they had gone for something like Nioh yes, it would have been risky.

BluFalconUltra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 BluFalconUltra
Member since 2014 • 459 Posts

Simply greatness.

QuadKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 QuadKnight
Member since 2015 • 12916 Posts

@Juub1990 said:
@quadknight said:

Wouldn't say making an open-world RPG is very risky lol. It's quite a popular blend. If they had gone for something like Nioh yes, it would have been risky.

I think it's risky considering their specialty is shooters. They could have stuck with Killzone which was stale but was still selling decent or they could have gone with a new IP which could have flopped for all we know. Open world games do make money but I doubt Sony would keep their studio open if Horizon bombed badly in reviews. Afterall, Guerrilla Cambridge just recently got closed. Sony seemed to have a lot riding on this new IP with marketing and hype, I doubt they would have been pleased if GG screwed it up and ended up making an average or mediocre open world game. This needed to be good for both Sony and GG.

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By ronvalencia
Member since 2008 • 29612 Posts

@silversix_ said:
@Juub1990 said:
@silversix_ said:

Scorpio, not the Xbone.

Scorpio is still Xbox One just as PS4 Pro is still part of PS4

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Juub1990
@quadknight said:

I think it's risky considering their specialty is shooters. They could have stuck with Killzone which was stale but was still selling decent or they could have gone with a new IP which could have flopped for all we know. Open world games do make money but I doubt Sony would keep their studio open if Horizon bombed badly in reviews. Afterall, Guerrilla Cambridge just recently got closed. Sony seemed to have a lot riding on this new IP with marketing and hype, I doubt they would have been pleased if GG screwed it up and ended up making an average or mediocre open world game. This needed to be good for both Sony and GG.

Doing a new Killzone would have been risky. People don't care for it any more. Hell they really never cared for it but the landscape of FPS is even more treacherous than in the heyday of Killzone. It has to compete with Battlefield, Halo, Overwatch, Titanfall, COD and now even DOOM is back in the game and Unreal will soon resurface. Releasing a new Killzone would have been a suicide.

Taking a risk would have been them doing something they have no control over. They have control over the quality of their product. They have no control over what gamers care about which is why I'm saying Horizon wasn't risky. They simply had to make sure it was good. They had the marketing and budget to push it. Hell, it may still bomb commercially but I definitely wouldn't qualify an open-world RPG as a risky endeavor.

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By silversix_

@ronvalencia said:
@silversix_ said:
@Juub1990 said:
@silversix_ said:

Scorpio, not the Xbone.

I'm not dumb like Kvally saying they're completely different consoles. What i'm saying is that their capabilities are different and what's possible on Scorpio isn't necessary possible on the weak ass Xbone. Scoprio will have better visuals than Horizon... no shit. Xbone on the other hand, lol good luck.

Wiiboxstation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Wiiboxstation
Member since 2014 • 1753 Posts

Guerrilla looks to have found their genre.

Please stick to this and never make another Killzone.

emgesp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 emgesp
Member since 2004 • 7848 Posts

I'd be impressed as hell if they can manage 1080p 60fps on the Pro, but I'm guessing just some unlocked frame rate that hovers in the 40's - 50's.

N64DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 N64DD
Member since 2015 • 13167 Posts

@ronvalencia said:
@silversix_ said:
@Juub1990 said:
@silversix_ said:

Scorpio, not the Xbone.

Scorpio is vaporware at this point.

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By commander

@silversix_ said:
@ronvalencia said:
@silversix_ said:
@Juub1990 said:

Scorpio, not the Xbone.

I'm dumb like Kvally saying they're completely different consoles. What i'm saying is that their capabilities are different and what's possible on Scorpio isn't necessary possible on the weak ass Xbone. Scoprio will have better visuals than Horizon... no shit. Xbone on the other hand, lol good luck.

It's only normal you get these reactions when you say that the xboxone couldn't handle these graphics because the ps4 is 40 percent stronger. Without the esram the gpu in the ps4 is actually 50 percent stronger. If esram is properly utilised the xboxone can close the gap significantly, up to 20 percent, especially in games that make use of its faster cpu as well.

Of course that's a ideal scenario. A lot of devs don't use esram fully, and a lot of games are not that cpu intensive. So on average you get like a 40 percent difference in power, which mostly translates into a simple difference in resolution.

The xboxone could easily run this game, allthough it would be just a bit higher than 900p.

Avatar image for NathanDrakeSwag
NathanDrakeSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 NathanDrakeSwag
Member since 2013 • 17392 Posts

@n64dd said:
@ronvalencia said:
@silversix_ said:
@Juub1990 said:
@silversix_ said:

Scorpio, not the Xbone.

And it won't have games.

Grey_Eyed_Elf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Grey_Eyed_Elf
Member since 2011 • 7970 Posts

Looking forward to it. Cannot wait.

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 commander

@NathanDrakeSwag said:
@n64dd said:

And it won't have games.

you people are clueless, I just bought this player on fifa 17 on the xboxone. It has a street value of 50$ and it's one of the cheaper legends, the many legends that are exclusive to the xboxone

scatteh316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 scatteh316
Member since 2004 • 10273 Posts

It has visuals you'll never get on Xbone or the Switch....... and it's arguably better looking then pretty much all PC games (And please don't start posting cherry picked TW3 shots)

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 commander

@emgesp said:

I'd be impressed as hell if they can manage 1080p 60fps on the Pro, but I'm guessing just some unlocked frame rate that hovers in the 40's - 50's.

I don't think so, the ps4 pro is quite capable to double the framerate of the ps4, I mean it has 2.5 times the tflops.

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 silversix_

@commander said:
@silversix_ said:
@ronvalencia said:
@silversix_ said:
@Juub1990 said:

Scorpio, not the Xbone.

I'm dumb like Kvally saying they're completely different consoles. What i'm saying is that their capabilities are different and what's possible on Scorpio isn't necessary possible on the weak ass Xbone. Scoprio will have better visuals than Horizon... no shit. Xbone on the other hand, lol good luck.

It's only normal you get these reactions when you say that the xboxone couldn't handle these graphics because the ps4 is 40 percent stronger. Without the esram the gpu in the ps4 is actually 50 percent stronger. If esram is properly utilised the xboxone can close the gap significantly, up to 20 percent, especially in games that make use of its faster cpu as well.

Of course that's a ideal scenario. A lot of devs don't use esram fully, and a lot of games are not that cpu intensive. So on average you get like a 40 percent difference in power, which mostly translates into a simple difference in resolution.

The xboxone could easily run this game, allthough it would be just a bit higher than 900p.

lmao i said "i'm dumb like Kvally" i meant NOT dumb like him dammit. But i do not believe that even in 900p the Xbone would be able to handle the game. In 900p, with dynamic res mostly staying in 720-810p is believable, tho. In other words, for Horizon to run properly, it has to run in 720p or the Xbone explodes.

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 commander

@silversix_ said:
@commander said:
@silversix_ said:
@ronvalencia said:

lmao i said "i'm dumb like Kvally" i meant NOT dumb like him dammit. But i do not believe that even in 900p the Xbone would be able to handle the game. In 900p, with dynamic res mostly staying in 720-810p is believable, tho. In other words, for Horizon to run properly, it has to run in 720p or the Xbone explodes.

you are clueless about hardware and/or resolution then. even without the esram, the gpu in the xboxone is 50 percent slower than the ps4 gpu. The difference between 900p and 1080p is even more than 50 percent. 1080p is more twice times the power of 720p. This while the xboxone has a faster cpu.

Avatar image for NathanDrakeSwag
NathanDrakeSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 NathanDrakeSwag
Member since 2013 • 17392 Posts

@commander said:
@NathanDrakeSwag said:
@n64dd said:

And it won't have games.

you people are clueless, I just bought this player on fifa 17 on the xboxone. It has a street value of 50$ and it's one of the cheaper legends, the many legends that are exclusive to the xboxone

lol soccer.

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By silversix_

@commander: A faster potato aka Jag cpu doesn't mean shit. A faster ram and gpu does mean a lot. Horizon is not possible on the Xbone. Too much for the console. If Horizon was an Xbone exclusive, it'd be cancelled for technical reasons, just like Scalebound.

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By commander

@silversix_ said:

@commander: A faster potato aka Jag cpu doesn't mean shit. A faster ram and gpu does mean a lot. Horizon is not possible on the Xbone. Too much for the console. If Horizon was an Xbone exclusive, it'd be cancelled for technical reasons, just like Scalebound.

lol even if the jaguar was running at the same speed as the ps4, it would not have mattered. Faster ram and gpu does mean a lot yes, but it's not more than 50 percent more, if you lower the resolution from 1080p to 900p, you need 55 percent less power.

If I follow your reasoning, games wouldn't be possible on the hd 7770 but would be possible on the hd 7850, even if you lower the resolution by 55 percent. That's horseshit.

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 commander

@NathanDrakeSwag said:
@commander said:
@NathanDrakeSwag said:
@n64dd said:

And it won't have games.

lol soccer.

Extremely popular outside usa, which is more than 95 percent of the population. It's even getting quite popular in the usa as well.

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By ronvalencia

@commander said:
@silversix_ said:
@commander said:
@silversix_ said:

you are clueless about hardware and/or resolution then. even without the esram, the gpu in the xboxone is 50 percent slower than the ps4 gpu. The difference between 900p and 1080p is even more than 50 percent. 1080p is more twice times the power of 720p. This while the xboxone has a faster cpu.

1.84 / 1.31 = 1.4045. PS4's GPU shaders is ~1.40X faster than XBO.

In terms of memory write performance, XBO has an advantage i.e. ~52 GB/s + 109 GB/s vs PS4's 135 GB/s. XBO's memory write advantage would be pointless if it has to wait for shader ALUs to complete it's result i.e. ALU shader bound scenarios. Memory write requires calculated results to be ready in a timely manner.

Xbox One vs PS4 difference

1. PS4's GPU has shader advantage. No workaround with shader bound scenarios. PS4's GPU shaders is ~1.40X faster than XBO.

2. PS4's GPU ROPS advantage for 8 bit and 16bit data types. 32bit data types are largely memory bandwidth bound. TMUs can be used as ROPS substitute but there's no fix function ROPS in TMU. Both XBO(TMU+ROPS) and PS4 (ROPS) can be memory bandwidth bound.

2. XBO's CPU has advantage e.g. Hitman lots of NPC scenarios.

3. XBO has slight memory write advantage.

4. PS4's GPU has large and fast memory storage for superior general performance i.e. less special treatment to extract performance from hardware. More freedom with low level game design.

5. PS4's GPU has initial read memory bandwidth advantage.

Scorpio vs PS4 Pro difference

1. Scorpio's GPU has shader advantage. No workaround with shader bound scenarios. Scorpio has 1.42X shader advantage.

2. Scorpio's GPU ROPS advantage for 8 bit and 16bit data types. 32bit data types are largely memory bandwidth bound. TMUs can be used as ROPS substitute but there's no fix function ROPS in TMU. Both consoles can be memory bandwidth bound with Scorpio having 1.52X memory bandwidth advantage.

2. Scorpio's CPU has advantage. Something better than PS4 Pro's CPU solution.

3. Scorpio has memory write advantage. Scorpio having 1.52X memory bandwidth advantage.

4. Scorpio GPU has larger and faster memory storage for superior general performance. More freedom with low level game design. For games, Scorpio's ~9 GB vs PS4 Pro's 5.5 GB.

5. Scorpio's GPU has initial read memory bandwidth advantage. Scorpio has 1.52X memory bandwidth advantage.

From PCMR's POV, Scorpio has complete hardware superiority over PS4 Pro. If Scorpio's GPU was Vega 11, then it's Maxwell like tile cache rendering advantage i.e. it's Maxwell like GPU with 6 TFLOPS. The next step above RX-480 and R9-390X is 980 Ti or GTX 1070.

emgesp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 emgesp
Member since 2004 • 7848 Posts

@commander said:
@emgesp said:

I don't think so, the ps4 pro is quite capable to double the framerate of the ps4, I mean it has 2.5 times the tflops.

Well, there has been plenty of unlocked 1080p games for the Pro that can't manage a stable 60fps, so I'm not expecting that for Horizon, but if they can average in the 50's I'd be impressed.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17813 Posts

i saw that video earlier. very solid. hopefully the bug count in the final release is also very low. thats really the state a console game should be released in. a consistent performance point throughout the game. its also good to see that the base PS4 didnt get neglected. it would be nice if there were no hickups at all but the ones that are there are pretty minor.

compare that to something like bloodbourne or a souls game and the difference is night and day. from a technical standpoint that game is in a very sorry state. no thats not part of From softwares charm or some such nonsense: thats shoddy workmanship.

2 for the PS4...oooh im thinking.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#44  Edited By KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

@OhSnapitz said:
@KBFloYd said:

or

pro indeed.

..anyway.. It seems like a very impressive game and I look forward to playing it.

nintendo is advertising portability and games.

sony is advertising graphics and games.

see the difference? that's why this shit is sad for pro owners.

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 commander

@emgesp said:
@commander said:
@emgesp said:

Well, there has been plenty of unlocked 1080p games for the Pro that can't manage a stable 60fps, so I'm not expecting that for Horizon, but if they can average in the 50's I'd be impressed.

That's obviously a software problem that could happen with games that were released before the ps4 pro. Horizon was made with the ps4 pro in mind, so I would be surprised if they can't achieve 60 fps when they can do 30 on the vanilla ps4.

PutASpongeOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By PutASpongeOn
Member since 2014 • 4897 Posts

The ps4 pro patch isn't happening till release.

That's what easy allies said in their review.

So arguing that the pro isn't a step up is pretty stupid at this point.

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 ronvalencia

@silversix_ said:
@commander said:
@silversix_ said:
@ronvalencia said:
@silversix_ said:

Scorpio, not the Xbone.

ESRAM has unstable performance factor e.g. XBO could range from 7770 to W5000 (12 CU Pitcairn with 156 GB/s 2GB VRAM) results. The software nature with XBO's tiling process makes the results unstable across different games. With XBO's ESRAM, there's only very narrow path for ideal performance, depart from the narrow path, it's 7770 result.

In the end of the day, W5000 is still inferior 7850 and R7-265.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 225

#48  Edited By BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17806 Posts

I would be very happy if they could do 60fps with the performance option on the PotatoStation 4 Pro. I am not getting my hopes up though.

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By ronvalencia

@n64dd said:
@ronvalencia said:
@silversix_ said:
@Juub1990 said:

Scorpio, not the Xbone.

Early Scorpio hardware is already operational after RYZEN ES and Vega 10 ES reveal.

http://www.trustedreviews.com/news/phil-spencer-has-played-his-first-games-on-xbox-scorpio

Without factoring Vega 11's improvements, Scorpio's GPU basic parameters are like R9-390X OC (6 TFLOPS) with Polaris memory delta compression making up Scorpio slightly less physical memory bandwidth than R9-390X which doesn't have memory delta compression.

OhSnapitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 OhSnapitz
Member since 2002 • 19282 Posts

@KBFloYd said:
@OhSnapitz said:
@KBFloYd said:

or

pro indeed.

nintendo is advertising portability and games.

sony is advertising graphics and games.

see the difference? that's why this shit is sad for pro owners.

"Portability and games.." which is why the ONLY noteworthy launch title is an upgraded WiiU port with shovel ware.. And why they're "advertising" a smart phone requirement to utilize chat.. lol

Sony is advertising graphics and games.. Who's library is better than the PS4's right now? [Just based on reviews] What console game out right now is [visually] pushing more tech specs than Zero Dawn running on the Pro?

...yea... I see the difference. Go take your meds friend.