Did you like Gone Home?

  • 85 results
  • 1
  • 2
#51 Edited by seanmcloughlin (38219 posts) -

I liked it. Mainly because I knew what to expect going in and all the impressions were like replies in this thread, super negative. So I expected utter crap but it turned out to be decent.

It wasn't perfect and the story got shit at the end and let me down because it went a safe route with some elements but I enjoyed just sitting down with headphones and going through the house piecing stuff together. The idea behind it is great even if they faltered a bit

Sure if we're talking about gameplay it's almost non existent but that doesn't mean it's automatically terrible. It did better than Dear Esther anyway

#52 Edited by donalbane (16379 posts) -

I thought it was really compelling and really didn't see the thematic twist coming. For that reason alone it was enjoyable. SPOILERS: I was really on the edge of my seat throughout the first 2/3rds of the game. I actually thought it was going to be a ghost story horror game where you would finally find your family's dead bodies or something like that. When it turned into a sweet lesbian love story I was like, "Well played, Fulbright Company.., well played." The whole idea of tricking somebody into following the story of a homosexual romance was really clever, and I think that a lot of people who didn't like the game may have been uncomfortable with the homosexual themes rather than the storytelling or writing. I could understand somebody criticizing the lack of action, but most people seem to have other problems with it, it seems.

#53 Edited by donalbane (16379 posts) -

@DocSanchez said:

@Bread_or_Decide: I think its because it was somewhat overpraised. It is frankly ridiculous to give this game a 9.5 under any circumstances, and given the direction this site has gone in in recent times with some of it's social justice warrior articles attacking its own readers and giving Last of Us' DLC a much higher score than the original game just because you play as a teen girl it feels like they are being disingenuous and scoring this higher than it deserves for it's political message and themes rather than an honest appraisal.

Which is fucking annoying to be honest. Leave your personal politics out of gaming and review things on their own merits.

I am a gay rights advocate, but I think the judgmental attitudes on this site by some of the idiots in charge are tedious, boring, stupid, and worn out.

If there was a kick arse game which ticked everyone's usual boxes and happened to feature a lesbian main character (as many people's Mass Effect's did) very few would be complaining.

Don't you think the high score could be due to the fact that the game gave the player the impression it was a horror game while ultimately ending up being an investigation of a romance - regardless of the gender or sexual orientation of the lovers being investigated?

#54 Posted by melonfarmerz (1294 posts) -

Not a fan of the type of "game" but I can see the appeal. Couldn't force myself to play the game for more than 20 minutes but I read the plot summary and it seems like it has a very good way of telling a compelling story.

#55 Posted by SolidGame_basic (19628 posts) -

@melonfarmerz said:

Not a fan of the type of "game" but I can see the appeal. Couldn't force myself to play the game for more than 20 minutes but I read the plot summary and it seems like it has a very good way of telling a compelling story.

you were already one quarter of the way there, should've just finished it.

#56 Posted by lostrib (43986 posts) -

Well if you don't then you're a homophobe

#57 Posted by melonfarmerz (1294 posts) -

@SolidGame_basic said:

@melonfarmerz said:

Not a fan of the type of "game" but I can see the appeal. Couldn't force myself to play the game for more than 20 minutes but I read the plot summary and it seems like it has a very good way of telling a compelling story.

you were already one quarter of the way there, should've just finished it.

ya I should have. But walking around looking at things for 20 minutes was already way too much haha.

#58 Edited by ReadingRainbow4 (16666 posts) -

@lostrib said:

Well if you don't then you're a homophobe

If this "game," was sold in retail stores I'd imagine that somewhere on the back of the box as a bullet point.

#59 Edited by ReadingRainbow4 (16666 posts) -

@donalbane said:

I thought it was really compelling and really didn't see the thematic twist coming. For that reason alone it was enjoyable. SPOILERS: I was really on the edge of my seat throughout the first 2/3rds of the game. I actually thought it was going to be a ghost story horror game where you would finally find your family's dead bodies or something like that. When it turned into a sweet lesbian love story I was like, "Well played, Fulbright Company.., well played." The whole idea of tricking somebody into following the story of a homosexual romance was really clever, and I think that a lot of people who didn't like the game may have been uncomfortable with the homosexual themes rather than the storytelling or writing. I could understand somebody criticizing the lack of action, but most people seem to have other problems with it, it seems.

That wasn't the case at all with me, I felt like they used the fact the sister was a lesbian as a crutch. Even if the game featured a straight relationship I'd still have largely the same complaints.

#60 Posted by lostrib (43986 posts) -

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

@lostrib said:

Well if you don't then you're a homophobe

If this "game," was sold in retail stores I'd imagine that somewhere on the back of the box as a bullet point.

that should be the tag line

#61 Edited by ReadingRainbow4 (16666 posts) -

Also holy shit I can't believe this game doesn't have a single piece of Rule 34 on it. It's ripe for that.

#62 Edited by Krelian-co (13149 posts) -

#63 Posted by Vaasman (11849 posts) -

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

Also holy shit I can't believe this game doesn't have a single piece of Rule 34 on it. It's ripe for that.

People have to give a shit for there to be rule 34 content.

#64 Edited by ReadingRainbow4 (16666 posts) -

@Vaasman said:

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

Also holy shit I can't believe this game doesn't have a single piece of Rule 34 on it. It's ripe for that.

People have to give a shit for there to be rule 34 content.

true, still as it stands this needs to have atleast something, even shitty ms paint.

Maybe something involving the whole family including the ghost of Oscar, lul.

#65 Edited by donalbane (16379 posts) -

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

@donalbane said:

I thought it was really compelling and really didn't see the thematic twist coming. For that reason alone it was enjoyable. SPOILERS: I was really on the edge of my seat throughout the first 2/3rds of the game. I actually thought it was going to be a ghost story horror game where you would finally find your family's dead bodies or something like that. When it turned into a sweet lesbian love story I was like, "Well played, Fulbright Company.., well played." The whole idea of tricking somebody into following the story of a homosexual romance was really clever, and I think that a lot of people who didn't like the game may have been uncomfortable with the homosexual themes rather than the storytelling or writing. I could understand somebody criticizing the lack of action, but most people seem to have other problems with it, it seems.

That wasn't the case at all with me, I felt like they used the fact the sister was a lesbian as a crutch. Even if the game featured a straight relationship I'd still have largely the same complaints.

Fair enough. I just thought it was neat to be surprised in a game for a change. Every time the lightning struck outside the house, I was like, "Here comes the ghost!" I was certain there would be something horrible to confront in the attic. For some, I think there was.

#66 Edited by harry_james_pot (11230 posts) -

Yep, I liked it.

#67 Posted by SolidGame_basic (19628 posts) -

@donalbane said:

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

@donalbane said:

I thought it was really compelling and really didn't see the thematic twist coming. For that reason alone it was enjoyable. SPOILERS: I was really on the edge of my seat throughout the first 2/3rds of the game. I actually thought it was going to be a ghost story horror game where you would finally find your family's dead bodies or something like that. When it turned into a sweet lesbian love story I was like, "Well played, Fulbright Company.., well played." The whole idea of tricking somebody into following the story of a homosexual romance was really clever, and I think that a lot of people who didn't like the game may have been uncomfortable with the homosexual themes rather than the storytelling or writing. I could understand somebody criticizing the lack of action, but most people seem to have other problems with it, it seems.

That wasn't the case at all with me, I felt like they used the fact the sister was a lesbian as a crutch. Even if the game featured a straight relationship I'd still have largely the same complaints.

Fair enough. I just thought it was neat to be surprised in a game for a change. Every time the lightning struck outside the house, I was like, "Here comes the ghost!" I was certain there would be something horrible to confront in the attic. For some, I think there was.

that's the thing dude, I don't think the haunted house thing was intended at all. chalk it up to bad design.

#68 Posted by StrifeDelivery (1802 posts) -

From a game standpoint, thought it was meh.

From a story standpoint, thought it was meh.

#69 Posted by pyro1245 (1076 posts) -

for about an hour, then it was over and I had the buyer's remorse.

#70 Edited by fend_oblivion (6310 posts) -

Never played the game as I had the ending spoiled by the review (that one scene where the character checks the answering machine). From the character's voice and begging, I kinda sensed she might be a lesbian. Scrolled down to the comments, and yup, pretty much confirmed.

Still, not as bad as Mark's review for Brothers : Tale of Two Sons. The dude spoiled the entire game in the first sentence! *facepalm*

#71 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (19034 posts) -

The problem with Gone Home, and With Heavy Rain and With Journey is you people and critics judge them as games. Infact many people believe just about everything interactive is a game.

#72 Posted by DocSanchez (2600 posts) -

A plot twist that may or may not be compelling but not in itself worth 9.5 out of 10, nor worth the obscene amount they charged for it.

#73 Posted by R3FURBISHED (10922 posts) -

I'm a bit surprised reading through some of the comments - especially as someone who absolutely adored Gone Home from beginning to end. The characters, the setting, the point-and-click gameplay, the loneliness...the obsessive unrelenting loneliness of the setting that only supplies tidbits of information until you actually learn what happened.

I absolutely fell in love with the characters. Rarely do games do that to me, especially with Gone Home it all felt very real and that is what made it, to me, so special.

#74 Edited by Lulu_Lulu (19034 posts) -

@R3FURBISHED

Well, be honest.... How much of that was actually the gameplay ? What would be lost if you saw it or read it instead of playing it ?

#75 Posted by R3FURBISHED (10922 posts) -

@Lulu_Lulu said:

@R3FURBISHED

Well, be honest.... How much of that was actually the gameplay ? What would be lost if you saw it or read it instead of playing it ?

It's an adventure game like Myst or Riven, point and click, uncover the secrets of the world. Granted Gone Home isn't nearly as grand in scale as a Myst, much more this one simple story. A game that tries to show its wealth in other ways than what we are used to in 2013/14.

Gone Home is a simple game that relies solely on its wealth of the setting and the mystery of your childhood house, and I loved everything about that house you explore.

#76 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (19034 posts) -

@R3FURBISHED

I've always believed the adventure game genre would be the best to create interactive narratives..... However the gameplay shouldn't feel like "turning pages", it should in synce with narrative.

#77 Edited by R3FURBISHED (10922 posts) -

@Lulu_Lulu said:

@R3FURBISHED

I've always believed the adventure game genre would be the best to create interactive narratives..... However the gameplay shouldn't feel like "turning pages", it should in synce with narrative.

Well what was the Gone Home narrative? Gone Home is the experience of uncovering the mystery, only that -- there wasn't any more. Simple puzzles and a straightforward path to the end. You have the mystery and once you uncover the mystery the game is over (the 99 minutes it took me to uncover the mystery).

I guess what allowed Gone Home to capture me was that I didn't know what the game was about when I bought and played it. I truly felt I was the sister returning home and knowing nothing, uncovering why this house that I barely knew was seemingly abandoned.

#78 Edited by Lulu_Lulu (19034 posts) -

@R3FURBISHED

I try to refrain from assuming the role of character in any story, be it game, movie or book. I mean everything is already set in stone, it can lead to problem if I character reacts in a different way than you do.

Unless you're playing something with an interpretive/emergent Narrative, like The Sims or Second life or Left 4 Dead.

#79 Posted by R3FURBISHED (10922 posts) -
@Lulu_Lulu said:

@R3FURBISHED

I try to refrain from assuming the role of character in any story, be it game, movie or book. I mean everything is already set in stone, it can lead to problem if I character reacts in a different way than you do.

I meant I didn't understand the world or why things where the way they were, when I said "truly felt I was the sister returning home and knowing nothing". My feelings where a mixed bag between "What's going on?" to "Should I be looking out for something?".

Not necessarily that I felt I assumed the role of the sister and was playing the game on her behalf - that what I was doing was for her.

#80 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (19034 posts) -

@R3FURBISHED

Oh yeah I totally get that.... Its the "Imatative Fallacy" I've heard so much about.

It doesn't work in a book like Lord of The Flies but its absolutely fantastic in games....

This is the kind of thing I was talking about that only games can do... Thanks to Agency... :p

#81 Posted by UnbiasedPoster (1134 posts) -

Sorta.

I mean, it's really detailed and it looks flat out amazing. Growing up in the 90s, it made me nostalgia pretty hard.

That being said, the value was awful.

#83 Posted by harry_james_pot (11230 posts) -

@gamer2444 said:

lol...it can be done in 5 min

No. The whole point of the game is the exploring. If you go straight for the end then you didn't really "do" anything.

#84 Posted by ReadingRainbow4 (16666 posts) -

@harry_james_pot said:

@gamer2444 said:

lol...it can be done in 5 min

No. The whole point of the game is the exploring. If you go straight for the end then you didn't really "do" anything.

Loading Video...

Pro Strats.

#85 Posted by LustForSoul (5912 posts) -

I'm sorry to put it this way but it's hipster shait just like Dear Esther. That's my opinion of course, let's not forget the game got amazing reviews. (somehow)

#86 Posted by asylumni (2283 posts) -

@ReadingRainbow4: I think that can be beat. Anyone up for, "Gone (Home) in 60 Seconds"?

Actually just finished it. I thought it was decent. The story had some decent ideas, but the length limited it to little snippets; not much more than an outline of the main story. The secondary plot-line of the parents was just kinda hinted at and left unresolved.