Did you like Gone Home?

• 85 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-59b71619573a1
deactivated-59b71619573a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By deactivated-59b71619573a1
Member since 2007 • 38222 Posts

I liked it. Mainly because I knew what to expect going in and all the impressions were like replies in this thread, super negative. So I expected utter crap but it turned out to be decent.

It wasn't perfect and the story got shit at the end and let me down because it went a safe route with some elements but I enjoyed just sitting down with headphones and going through the house piecing stuff together. The idea behind it is great even if they faltered a bit

Sure if we're talking about gameplay it's almost non existent but that doesn't mean it's automatically terrible. It did better than Dear Esther anyway

donalbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#52  Edited By donalbane
Member since 2003 • 16383 Posts

I thought it was really compelling and really didn't see the thematic twist coming. For that reason alone it was enjoyable. SPOILERS: I was really on the edge of my seat throughout the first 2/3rds of the game. I actually thought it was going to be a ghost story horror game where you would finally find your family's dead bodies or something like that. When it turned into a sweet lesbian love story I was like, "Well played, Fulbright Company.., well played." The whole idea of tricking somebody into following the story of a homosexual romance was really clever, and I think that a lot of people who didn't like the game may have been uncomfortable with the homosexual themes rather than the storytelling or writing. I could understand somebody criticizing the lack of action, but most people seem to have other problems with it, it seems.

donalbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53  Edited By donalbane

@DocSanchez said:

@Bread_or_Decide: I think its because it was somewhat overpraised. It is frankly ridiculous to give this game a 9.5 under any circumstances, and given the direction this site has gone in in recent times with some of it's social justice warrior articles attacking its own readers and giving Last of Us' DLC a much higher score than the original game just because you play as a teen girl it feels like they are being disingenuous and scoring this higher than it deserves for it's political message and themes rather than an honest appraisal.

Which is fucking annoying to be honest. Leave your personal politics out of gaming and review things on their own merits.

I am a gay rights advocate, but I think the judgmental attitudes on this site by some of the idiots in charge are tedious, boring, stupid, and worn out.

If there was a kick arse game which ticked everyone's usual boxes and happened to feature a lesbian main character (as many people's Mass Effect's did) very few would be complaining.

Don't you think the high score could be due to the fact that the game gave the player the impression it was a horror game while ultimately ending up being an investigation of a romance - regardless of the gender or sexual orientation of the lovers being investigated?

melonfarmerz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#54 melonfarmerz
Member since 2014 • 1294 Posts

Not a fan of the type of "game" but I can see the appeal. Couldn't force myself to play the game for more than 20 minutes but I read the plot summary and it seems like it has a very good way of telling a compelling story.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45101 Posts

@melonfarmerz said:

Not a fan of the type of "game" but I can see the appeal. Couldn't force myself to play the game for more than 20 minutes but I read the plot summary and it seems like it has a very good way of telling a compelling story.

you were already one quarter of the way there, should've just finished it.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#56 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

Well if you don't then you're a homophobe

melonfarmerz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#57 melonfarmerz
Member since 2014 • 1294 Posts

@SolidGame_basic said:

@melonfarmerz said:

you were already one quarter of the way there, should've just finished it.

ya I should have. But walking around looking at things for 20 minutes was already way too much haha.

Avatar image for ReadingRainbow4
ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#58  Edited By ReadingRainbow4
Member since 2012 • 18733 Posts

@lostrib said:

If this "game," was sold in retail stores I'd imagine that somewhere on the back of the box as a bullet point.

ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By ReadingRainbow4

@donalbane said:

I thought it was really compelling and really didn't see the thematic twist coming. For that reason alone it was enjoyable. SPOILERS: I was really on the edge of my seat throughout the first 2/3rds of the game. I actually thought it was going to be a ghost story horror game where you would finally find your family's dead bodies or something like that. When it turned into a sweet lesbian love story I was like, "Well played, Fulbright Company.., well played." The whole idea of tricking somebody into following the story of a homosexual romance was really clever, and I think that a lot of people who didn't like the game may have been uncomfortable with the homosexual themes rather than the storytelling or writing. I could understand somebody criticizing the lack of action, but most people seem to have other problems with it, it seems.

That wasn't the case at all with me, I felt like they used the fact the sister was a lesbian as a crutch. Even if the game featured a straight relationship I'd still have largely the same complaints.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

@lostrib said:

If this "game," was sold in retail stores I'd imagine that somewhere on the back of the box as a bullet point.

that should be the tag line

ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By ReadingRainbow4

Also holy shit I can't believe this game doesn't have a single piece of Rule 34 on it. It's ripe for that.

Krelian-co

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By Krelian-co
Member since 2006 • 13274 Posts

Vaasman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#63 Vaasman
Member since 2008 • 15569 Posts

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

Also holy shit I can't believe this game doesn't have a single piece of Rule 34 on it. It's ripe for that.

People have to give a shit for there to be rule 34 content.

ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By ReadingRainbow4

@Vaasman said:

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

People have to give a shit for there to be rule 34 content.

true, still as it stands this needs to have atleast something, even shitty ms paint.

Maybe something involving the whole family including the ghost of Oscar, lul.

donalbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By donalbane

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

@donalbane said:

That wasn't the case at all with me, I felt like they used the fact the sister was a lesbian as a crutch. Even if the game featured a straight relationship I'd still have largely the same complaints.

Fair enough. I just thought it was neat to be surprised in a game for a change. Every time the lightning struck outside the house, I was like, "Here comes the ghost!" I was certain there would be something horrible to confront in the attic. For some, I think there was.

Avatar image for harry_james_pot
harry_james_pot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#66  Edited By harry_james_pot  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 11414 Posts

Yep, I liked it.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45101 Posts

@donalbane said:

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

@donalbane said:

Fair enough. I just thought it was neat to be surprised in a game for a change. Every time the lightning struck outside the house, I was like, "Here comes the ghost!" I was certain there would be something horrible to confront in the attic. For some, I think there was.

that's the thing dude, I don't think the haunted house thing was intended at all. chalk it up to bad design.

StrifeDelivery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 StrifeDelivery
Member since 2006 • 1901 Posts

From a game standpoint, thought it was meh.

From a story standpoint, thought it was meh.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#69 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9397 Posts

for about an hour, then it was over and I had the buyer's remorse.

fend_oblivion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By fend_oblivion
Member since 2006 • 6760 Posts

Never played the game as I had the ending spoiled by the review (that one scene where the character checks the answering machine). From the character's voice and begging, I kinda sensed she might be a lesbian. Scrolled down to the comments, and yup, pretty much confirmed.

Still, not as bad as Mark's review for Brothers : Tale of Two Sons. The dude spoiled the entire game in the first sentence! *facepalm*

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

The problem with Gone Home, and With Heavy Rain and With Journey is you people and critics judge them as games. Infact many people believe just about everything interactive is a game.

DocSanchez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 DocSanchez
Member since 2013 • 5557 Posts

A plot twist that may or may not be compelling but not in itself worth 9.5 out of 10, nor worth the obscene amount they charged for it.

R3FURBISHED

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#73 R3FURBISHED
Member since 2008 • 12408 Posts

I'm a bit surprised reading through some of the comments - especially as someone who absolutely adored Gone Home from beginning to end. The characters, the setting, the point-and-click gameplay, the loneliness...the obsessive unrelenting loneliness of the setting that only supplies tidbits of information until you actually learn what happened.

I absolutely fell in love with the characters. Rarely do games do that to me, especially with Gone Home it all felt very real and that is what made it, to me, so special.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By Lulu_Lulu

@R3FURBISHED

Well, be honest.... How much of that was actually the gameplay ? What would be lost if you saw it or read it instead of playing it ?

R3FURBISHED

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 R3FURBISHED

@Lulu_Lulu said:

@R3FURBISHED

Well, be honest.... How much of that was actually the gameplay ? What would be lost if you saw it or read it instead of playing it ?

It's an adventure game like Myst or Riven, point and click, uncover the secrets of the world. Granted Gone Home isn't nearly as grand in scale as a Myst, much more this one simple story. A game that tries to show its wealth in other ways than what we are used to in 2013/14.

Gone Home is a simple game that relies solely on its wealth of the setting and the mystery of your childhood house, and I loved everything about that house you explore.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 Lulu_Lulu

@R3FURBISHED

I've always believed the adventure game genre would be the best to create interactive narratives..... However the gameplay shouldn't feel like "turning pages", it should in synce with narrative.

R3FURBISHED

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By R3FURBISHED

@Lulu_Lulu said:

@R3FURBISHED

I've always believed the adventure game genre would be the best to create interactive narratives..... However the gameplay shouldn't feel like "turning pages", it should in synce with narrative.

Well what was the Gone Home narrative? Gone Home is the experience of uncovering the mystery, only that -- there wasn't any more. Simple puzzles and a straightforward path to the end. You have the mystery and once you uncover the mystery the game is over (the 99 minutes it took me to uncover the mystery).

I guess what allowed Gone Home to capture me was that I didn't know what the game was about when I bought and played it. I truly felt I was the sister returning home and knowing nothing, uncovering why this house that I barely knew was seemingly abandoned.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By Lulu_Lulu

@R3FURBISHED

I try to refrain from assuming the role of character in any story, be it game, movie or book. I mean everything is already set in stone, it can lead to problem if I character reacts in a different way than you do.

Unless you're playing something with an interpretive/emergent Narrative, like The Sims or Second life or Left 4 Dead.

R3FURBISHED

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 R3FURBISHED
@Lulu_Lulu said:

@R3FURBISHED

I try to refrain from assuming the role of character in any story, be it game, movie or book. I mean everything is already set in stone, it can lead to problem if I character reacts in a different way than you do.

I meant I didn't understand the world or why things where the way they were, when I said "truly felt I was the sister returning home and knowing nothing". My feelings where a mixed bag between "What's going on?" to "Should I be looking out for something?".

Not necessarily that I felt I assumed the role of the sister and was playing the game on her behalf - that what I was doing was for her.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 Lulu_Lulu

@R3FURBISHED

Oh yeah I totally get that.... Its the "Imatative Fallacy" I've heard so much about.

It doesn't work in a book like Lord of The Flies but its absolutely fantastic in games....

This is the kind of thing I was talking about that only games can do... Thanks to Agency... :p

UnbiasedPoster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 UnbiasedPoster
Member since 2013 • 1134 Posts

Sorta.

I mean, it's really detailed and it looks flat out amazing. Growing up in the 90s, it made me nostalgia pretty hard.

That being said, the value was awful.

Avatar image for harry_james_pot
harry_james_pot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#83 harry_james_pot  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 11414 Posts

@gamer2444 said:

lol...it can be done in 5 min

No. The whole point of the game is the exploring. If you go straight for the end then you didn't really "do" anything.

ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 ReadingRainbow4

@harry_james_pot said:

@gamer2444 said:

lol...it can be done in 5 min

No. The whole point of the game is the exploring. If you go straight for the end then you didn't really "do" anything.

Loading Video...

Pro Strats.

LustForSoul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 LustForSoul
Member since 2011 • 6404 Posts

I'm sorry to put it this way but it's hipster shait just like Dear Esther. That's my opinion of course, let's not forget the game got amazing reviews. (somehow)

asylumni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 asylumni
Member since 2003 • 3304 Posts

@ReadingRainbow4: I think that can be beat. Anyone up for, "Gone (Home) in 60 Seconds"?

Actually just finished it. I thought it was decent. The story had some decent ideas, but the length limited it to little snippets; not much more than an outline of the main story. The secondary plot-line of the parents was just kinda hinted at and left unresolved.