Did you like Gone Home?

• 85 results
#1 Edited by SolidGame_basic (17960 posts) -

Got this for $2.99 from the steam sale and it was so-so in my opinion. Definitely agreed more with the Eurogamer review (6/10) than the Gamespot review (9.5/10). The whole story just seemed a bit deliberate and melodramatic for my tastes. The story felt like a poor man's American Beauty. An interesting idea that got on the wrong foot early and just didn't quite live up to its own premise. Did you enjoy it, SW?

#2 Edited by ReadingRainbow4 (14454 posts) -

Hell no.

My little point and click adventure game can't be this lesbian, it had some decent atmosphere but the game was beyond boring.

The most interesting thing about the game was all the secret shit you could find around the house suggesting that your father was sexually abused as a kid.

#3 Posted by clyde46 (46634 posts) -

Its a $5 game, no more. I find it somewhat galling that they are trying to sell what is essentially fanfic-tier story writing for $20. The only reason why its been showered in fucking awards from the gaming press is because it happens to have a story about a lesbian.

#4 Edited by jg4xchamp (48378 posts) -

I like the idea of Gone Home more than what they actually made.

Creating an environment where the player puts the story together through different objects found through out the environment. Essentially turning the world itself into a little puzzle and the players brain in the game mechanic itself is a clever idea. Problem? this method requires that the plot be compelling, because the interactive aspects are only enjoyable if you're into putting this story together. Gone Home simply isn't good from a narrative standpoint. Because videogame story.

So yeah admirable for what they tried to do with it, but it's story isn't good enough to make it all work.

#5 Posted by pelvist (4870 posts) -

No I did not.

#6 Posted by Ballroompirate (23052 posts) -

No

#7 Posted by gameofthering (10321 posts) -

I enjoyed it, but I think I would've been upset if I hadn't bought it in a sale.

#8 Posted by speedfog (3229 posts) -

Loved it.

#9 Edited by Renegade_Fury (17223 posts) -

It's trash.

#10 Edited by GamingTitan (547 posts) -

Not a fan of politically correct point and click stuff.

#11 Posted by Bread_or_Decide (17776 posts) -

@GamingTitan said:

Not a fan of politically correct point and click stuff.

Why is it politically correct?

The hostile comments about the lesbian part of this game are really unnecessary. Gamers are more of a threatened bunch than the republican party. Geez.

#12 Posted by Dariency (9406 posts) -

It was a great experience. The game isn't about action, guns, and enemies to fight. If you're expecting that then you'll be disappointed, but those with an open mind and who enjoy playing through a good, touching story will enjoy the game.

#13 Edited by freedomfreak (40972 posts) -

#14 Posted by sammyjenkis898 (28122 posts) -

Literally just finished it. The central story is compelling, and they did a good job at making the home feel unique, but.. it was fine. I enjoyed myself.

I really liked the ending. Thought they were going to go in a completely different direction.

#15 Posted by DocSanchez (1648 posts) -

@Bread_or_Decide: I think its because it was somewhat overpraised. It is frankly ridiculous to give this game a 9.5 under any circumstances, and given the direction this site has gone in in recent times with some of it's social justice warrior articles attacking its own readers and giving Last of Us' DLC a much higher score than the original game just because you play as a teen girl it feels like they are being disingenuous and scoring this higher than it deserves for it's political message and themes rather than an honest appraisal.

Which is fucking annoying to be honest. Leave your personal politics out of gaming and review things on their own merits.

I am a gay rights advocate, but I think the judgmental attitudes on this site by some of the idiots in charge are tedious, boring, stupid, and worn out.

If there was a kick arse game which ticked everyone's usual boxes and happened to feature a lesbian main character (as many people's Mass Effect's did) very few would be complaining.

#16 Edited by Jeager_Titan (947 posts) -

No.

#17 Posted by ShepardCommandr (2746 posts) -

i don't play hipster garbage like this so called "game"

#18 Posted by MBirdy88 (8330 posts) -

A nice little interactive experience.... but 9.5 and GOTY on some sites... what an pathetic joke....

#19 Posted by dommeus (9377 posts) -

I thought the story was pretty moving, especially given the clues you find at the beginning

#20 Posted by dommeus (9377 posts) -

@DocSanchez:

I thought the reason Left Behind scored better than the original game was due to situations involving Ellie leading to less immersion breaking AI etc.

#21 Posted by DocSanchez (1648 posts) -

@dommeus: If you'll believe that you will believe anything.

#22 Edited by FinalFighters (1546 posts) -

Hell no..

This is the second most overrated game i've played this year. Still beating myself up for believing the hype and paying full price for this game.

#23 Posted by dommeus (9377 posts) -

@DocSanchez:

So because Gamespot gave you a reason that you don't agree with, you've made your own up?

#conspiracy

#24 Posted by SolidGame_basic (17960 posts) -

@FinalFighters said:

Hell no..

This is the second most overrated game i've played this year. Still beating myself up for believing the hype and paying full price for this game.

damn, and I thought $3 was most appropriate for something like this.

#25 Posted by DocSanchez (1648 posts) -

@dommeus: No. It's because Gamespot had no justification giving a short DLC a higher score than most other sites GOTY, and given some of the articles they have been posting, and the review score of Gone Home, I've read between the lines. Like I already fucking explained.

#26 Posted by turtlethetaffer (16793 posts) -

It seems like an interesting game experiment, but I don't have much of an interest in playing it because it's been spoiled for me a long time ago. Plus I don't want to drop anything more than fifty cents on a game with such little replay value. Not that I mind short games- Hotline Miami is great, but that has a lot of reasons to come back to it and replay. Gone Home seems like the kind of game you play once and never touch again because there is literally no reason to do so.

Of course, I could be wrong in all these assumptions. But from what I know about the game and from what people have told me, I'm not wrong.

#27 Posted by inb4uall (5806 posts) -

I've had more fun scanning stuff and piecing together a story in the metroid prime games. This was just carro shamelessly pushing her agenda. Between Gamespot rating garbage to high and things that are actually good to low I don't take their reviews seriously. Sure they are entitled to their opinions, but the whole damn point of a reviewing site is to help us buy good games and skip the bad ones. Gamespot doesn't understand this it seems. As a result I look elsewhere for reviews and steer everyone who asks away from the site.

#28 Posted by dommeus (9377 posts) -

@DocSanchez said:

@dommeus: No. It's because Gamespot had no justification giving a short DLC a higher score than most other sites GOTY, and given some of the articles they have been posting, and the review score of Gone Home, I've read between the lines. Like I already fucking explained.

I re-read the Left Behind review, and I think he has valid reasons to prefer it over the original game. He preferred Ellie's character, regardless of her gender, and she happens to be the focus of the game.

I remember he mentioned that most of the cast of the original game were unlikable. Since the DLC focuses on a friendship between two likable people, and manages to get away with avoiding the HORRENDOUS friendly AI, I'm not surprised he preferred it.

Also I'm pretty sure DLC isn't reviewed to the same standard as the full release. I could be wrong, but it doesn't make much sense to compare them critically on equal ground.

#29 Posted by SolidTy (43828 posts) -

No, it just wasn't a very good game.

#30 Posted by silversix_ (14800 posts) -

i HATED this shit. Worst game i've purchased in a long time...

#31 Posted by hrt_rulz01 (6235 posts) -

I'm keen to check it out when it comes out on consoles.

#32 Posted by mems_1224 (47282 posts) -

meh, it was alright.

#33 Posted by handssss (1837 posts) -

@dommeus said:

@DocSanchez said:

I re-read the Left Behind review, and I think he has valid reasons to prefer it over the original game. He preferred Ellie's character, regardless of her gender, and she happens to be the focus of the game.

I remember he mentioned that most of the cast of the original game were unlikable. Since the DLC focuses on a friendship between two likable people, and manages to get away with avoiding the HORRENDOUS friendly AI, I'm not surprised he preferred it.

Also I'm pretty sure DLC isn't reviewed to the same standard as the full release. I could be wrong, but it doesn't make much sense to compare them critically on equal ground.

the problem is that they were SUPPOSED to be unlikable and the game does a good job justifying why they are. If Joel was a Gary Stu, it would have ruined The Last of Us. He complained too much about Joel not being a good guy even though that was the whole damn point.

Gone Home though just feels like a hipster field day. "let's all just give it GOTY JUST because no guns and edgy indie". The story isn't that good and that's literally ALL it has going for it. It's not like trolls claiming the last of us only did good because of its story, the gameplay was there and it was great and even the MP felt good. Gone Home had about as much gameplay as a a fancy 3d house tour on a website. For what they charged and how quickly it ended, nobody has the right to complain about Ground Zeroes if they defend Gone Home.

#34 Posted by Wiimotefan (4078 posts) -

Nope. Glad I didn't pay for it, but I'd still like a refund on my wasted time.

#35 Posted by wolverine4262 (19394 posts) -

Absolutely not. I dont even consider crap like that as games.

#36 Posted by R3FURBISHED (10607 posts) -

@SolidGame_basic said:

Did you enjoy it, SW?

LOVED it! One of my favorite games from last year.

#37 Posted by KittenNose (529 posts) -

@Bread_or_Decide said:

Why is it politically correct?

The hostile comments about the lesbian part of this game are really unnecessary. Gamers are more of a threatened bunch than the republican party. Geez.

That isn't gamers. Gamers don't have a political agenda. Some people bring up their political agenda in the context of gaming, but that has nothing to do with gamers.

I was going to claim that Gamers do not have a religious agenda, but that would be a lie. If the pope is ever foolish enough to put up petitions online Gabe is going to be the next person canonized.

#38 Posted by Heirren (17360 posts) -

Not a game. Not a fan of these "mature digital experiences" nonsense.

#39 Edited by Vaasman (11499 posts) -

Eh, I liked it, didn't love it.

As far as adventure games go, it's very thorough in giving an authentic American 90's feel. The house is atmospheric and picking up on minute details is fun and somewhat interesting. Being able to pick up and read carefully constructed notes and other objects really enhances the experience.

The problem is, the story elements are really boring and unrewarding. The main plot, where the character's sister has a teenage love interest, has no conflict, and goes exactly where you think it will the instant you pick up on the lesbian angle. Every chance to inject a unique twist or turn to the story, or at least some kind of tension or drama, is brought up, and then totally cast aside. Peer pressure? Mentioned, then ignored. Parent religious rejection? Mentioned then ignored. Maybe a horror angle, or subtle political twist that's being hinted at regularly? No lol. The only remotely interesting aspect is finding the hints to the father's back story.

I even really like slice-of-life kinds of stories but the one here has no merits that are worth exploring or discussing, for better or worse. It's bland and dull and wrapped in a nice package that might make it worth exploring for 90 minutes or so, but certainly not a moment longer.

Just because it's about lesbians doesn't mean it's compelling. It's 2014, the only people who have problems with sexual preferences anymore are stupid. You shouldn't just sell a whole game on that and hope the non-controversy carries you.

#40 Posted by Basinboy (11243 posts) -

Ho-hum. I liked how it began, but the story didn't have quite the impactful arc that others attested it had.

That said, I don't mind games of its type. I'd not be hesitant to buy another interactive walking museum game.

#41 Posted by MacBoomStick (1948 posts) -

@freedomfreak said:

#42 Edited by biggest_loser (24062 posts) -

It is reasonably made and extremely unnerving but its downright greedy that they wanted $20 for it.

#43 Edited by illmatic87 (15292 posts) -

Yes. But it is not worth the initial $20 price tag. I got it for $10 and it I enjoyed my time with it while it lasted.

The revelations were not as memorable as its setting, Gone Home probably has the most interesting and convincing home presented in a videogame; despite the abundance of 3 ringed binders lol. There was just something eerie and engaging about sleuthing around an empty home: the flickering lights, the secrets, the mysteries to dig through within the residents of the home.

#44 Posted by thehig1 (2298 posts) -

@sammyjenkis898 said:

Literally just finished it. The central story is compelling, and they did a good job at making the home feel unique, but.. it was fine. I enjoyed myself.

I really liked the ending. Thought they were going to go in a completely different direction.

Me too, I did not see that ending coming I was prepared for a more sinister ending.

Anyway its a good game I really enjoyed it

#45 Posted by SYSTEM-REBOOT (646 posts) -

@MBirdy88 said:

A nice little interactive experience.... but 9.5 and GOTY on some sites... what an pathetic joke....

#46 Edited by GhoX (5027 posts) -

It felt like a very clean and polished... thing. However, I didn't find it fun.

#47 Posted by Tokeism (2338 posts) -

The story is compelling, and they did a good job at making the home feel unique/interesting and the atmosphere of the game was also well done. I enjoyed myself and I really liked the ending. Thought they were going to go in a completely different direction.

#48 Posted by FoxbatAlpha (7422 posts) -

Chlorophyll? More like Borophyll.

#49 Posted by Pffrbt (6565 posts) -

No. It has decent atmosphere but basically no gameplay and the writing is kind of terrible.

#50 Posted by nutcrackr (12641 posts) -

I think it's interesting in what it does, challenges preconceptions in a few ways. But I also don't think it's a revolution or something worthy of much praise.