Did you know the highest selling...

  • 87 results
  • 1
  • 2

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by charizard1605 (60180 posts) -
  1. Shooter?
    Call of Duty: Black Ops (27 million)
  2. Sports game?
    Wii Sports (82 million)
  3. Role playing game?
    Pokemon Red/Blue (24 million)
  4. Racing game?
    Mario Kart Wii (35 million)
  5. Fighting game?
    Super Smash Bros. Brawl (11.5 million)
  6. Action Adventure game?
    Grand Theft Auto V (32.5 million)
  7. Platformer?
    Super Mario Bros. (40.5 million)
  8. Simulation game?
    Nintendogs (24 million)
  9. Action game?
    God of War III (5.1 million)
  10. Strategy game?
    Starcraft (11 million)
  11. Adventure game?
    Myst (6 million)
  12. Puzzle game?
    Tetris (100 million)
  13. Sandbox?
    Minecraft (42 million)
  14. Stealth game?
    Assassin's Creed III (12 million)
  15. Party game?
    Wii Play (28 million)
  16. Horror game?
    Resident Evil 4 (7.03 million)

Bonus points if you could guess all of those without looking at the answers.

How many of these do you think are deserved?

#2 Edited by MonsieurX (31372 posts) -

I don't agree with the usual "it's packaged,so it counts as a sale"

5 out of 10 are Nintendo games,Nintendomination!

#3 Edited by musicalmac (23346 posts) -

This is a compelling thread, mega kudos.

#4 Posted by charizard1605 (60180 posts) -

@MonsieurX said:

I don't agree with the usual "it's packaged,so it counts as a sale"

I'm not sure what you're trying to say...?

@musicalmac said:

This is a compelling thread, mega kudos.

And I'm not sure if you are being sarcastic :P

#5 Posted by MonsieurX (31372 posts) -

@charizard1605 said:

@MonsieurX said:

I don't agree with the usual "it's packaged,so it counts as a sale"

I'm not sure what you're trying to say...?

@musicalmac said:

This is a compelling thread, mega kudos.

And I'm not sure if you are being sarcastic :P

Wii Sports total number of sales

#6 Posted by freedomfreak (42322 posts) -

Can't say Wii Sports being up there is surprising. Not impressive considering how it was shipped.

#7 Posted by CrownKingArthur (5262 posts) -

i like the way you set the thread up.

i'm shocked the sims is nowhere.

#8 Posted by charizard1605 (60180 posts) -

@MonsieurX said:

Wii Sports total number of sales

Fine, replace it with Wii Sports Resort at 28 million.

#9 Posted by Consternated (848 posts) -

I got the RPG one, at least!

#10 Edited by MonsieurX (31372 posts) -

@charizard1605 said:

@MonsieurX said:

Wii Sports total number of sales

Fine, replace it with Wii Sports Resort at 28 million.

Bundled with a Wiimote? :P

#11 Edited by musicalmac (23346 posts) -

@charizard1605 said:

@MonsieurX said:

I don't agree with the usual "it's packaged,so it counts as a sale"

I'm not sure what you're trying to say...?

@musicalmac said:

This is a compelling thread, mega kudos.

And I'm not sure if you are being sarcastic :P

No! Completely forthright and truthful. This is a very compelling thread. There are numbers there I hadn't expected, and that makes me happy. I love surprises.

#12 Edited by charizard1605 (60180 posts) -

@CrownKingArthur said:

i like the way you set the thread up.

i'm shocked the sims is nowhere.

It would've been there, but Nintendogs beat it out :P

@MonsieurX said:

Bundled with a Wiimote? :P

Such a stretch >.>

#13 Edited by musicalmac (23346 posts) -

What if you considered Angry Birds a shooter?...

(lol)

#14 Posted by IamAdorable (407 posts) -

A lot of Nintendo stuff in there.

#15 Posted by charizard1605 (60180 posts) -

@musicalmac said:

No! Completely forthright and truthful. This is a very compelling thread. There are numbers there I hadn't expected, and that makes me happy. I love surprises.

Oh, thanks haha. I was not even sure if this thread was worth anything, simply because all it is is a bunch of numbers, and I wasn't sure how much discussion that would generate.

#16 Edited by Floppy_Jim (25834 posts) -

NDC

Some intriguing factoids there. CoD probably doesn't deserve it. I got no beef with the rest.

#17 Posted by treedoor (7648 posts) -

I'm pretty certain I recall an article stating World of Warcraft had sold three times as many games as its current subscriber base (which was around 10+ million at the time). Unfortunately that article was written years ago, and I can't find it.

I also find it hard to believe that The Sims didn't sell more than 24 million copies.

#18 Posted by charizard1605 (60180 posts) -

@IamAdorable said:

A lot of Nintendo stuff in there.

60% of the list is Nintendo

@musicalmac said:

What if you considered Angry Birds a shooter?...

(lol)

It'd be a puzzle game, and I think Tetris would beat it out there, no one edition of Angry Birds has sold as much as Tetris has.

#19 Posted by charizard1605 (60180 posts) -

@Floppy_Jim said:

NDC

Some intriguing factoids there. CoD probably doesn't deserve it. I got no beef with the rest.

Yeah, more than half the list is Nintendo, including some very unexpected spots.

I absolutely love Black Ops, so I got no beef with that either :P

@treedoor said:

I'm pretty certain I recall an article stating World of Warcraft had sold three times as many games as its current subscriber base (which was around 10+ million at the time). Unfortunately that article was written years ago, and I can't find it.

I also find it hard to believe that The Sims didn't sell more than 24 million copies.

World of Warcraft would be the highest MMORPG, but I did not put that in the OP on purpose, because everyone knows what the highest selling MMORPG is, without question.

The single highest selling Sims game is The Sims 2, with 20 million units sold. I am sure the number increases exponentially if each sale of an expansion pack is accounted for individually.

#20 Edited by lamprey263 (24964 posts) -

if we're including packed in games as sales then the best selling game ever is probably either Solitaire or Minesweeper... like well over 1 billion sold, that shits on everything Charizard listed

#21 Posted by PhazonBlazer (11984 posts) -

The only one I got right was Wii Sports.

#22 Edited by charizard1605 (60180 posts) -

@lamprey263 said:

if we're including packed in games as sales then the best selling game ever is probably either Solitaire or Minesweeper... like well over 1 billion sold

Sure, they can go in the... what genre are they anyway?

#23 Posted by treedoor (7648 posts) -

@lamprey263 said:

if we're including packed in games as sales then the best selling game ever is probably either Solitaire or Minesweeper... like well over 1 billion sold

Solitaire on Windows XP is the GOAT

Solitaire on Windows 7 is No

Mahjong Titans has taken its place though

#24 Edited by Couth_ (10226 posts) -

How did you differentiate Action Adventure and Action? Action is such a broad genre and surely other things sold more than God of War. Assassins Creed and Metal Gear Solid come to mind.. Also how about Tetris for Puzzle and Minecraft for sandbox. They sold too much to not be mentioned

#25 Posted by cainetao11 (18750 posts) -

@charizard1605:

All deserved. The market place is hard facts. People buy what they value. Maybe for an hour, maybe for a day, or lifetime. Its all subjective to their tastes. But you cant deny that Nintendo makes games people love and want to play, en masse. GoW3 getting there is cool also. I love GoW.

#26 Edited by charizard1605 (60180 posts) -

@Couth_ said:

How did you differentiate Action Adventure and Action? Action is such a broad genre and surely other things sold more than God of War. Assassins Creed and Metal Gear Solid come to mind.. Also how about Tetris for Puzzle and Minecraft for sandbox. They sold too much to not be mentioned

Traditional genre definitions. GTA is consider action adventure, God of War/Ninja Gaiden/Devil May Cry are action are action.

I didn't put Tetris (too obvious, same with World of Warcraft), and Minecraft I was not sure what to classify it as.

#27 Posted by lamprey263 (24964 posts) -

@charizard1605 said:

@lamprey263 said:

if we're including packed in games as sales then the best selling game ever is probably either Solitaire or Minesweeper... like well over 1 billion sold

Sure, they can go in the... what genre are they anyway?

call it MISC, it's clear you took everything from VGChartz except the MISC category, and Wii Play doesn't deserve it since Solitaire / Minesweeper is clearly the superior lifetime seller

#28 Edited by charizard1605 (60180 posts) -

@lamprey263 said:

@charizard1605 said:

@lamprey263 said:

if we're including packed in games as sales then the best selling game ever is probably either Solitaire or Minesweeper... like well over 1 billion sold

Sure, they can go in the... what genre are they anyway?

call it MISC, it's clear you took everything from VGChartz except the MISC category, and Wii Play doesn't deserve it since Solitaire / Minesweeper is clearly the superior lifetime seller

No, I got these numbers from Wikipedia, sir.

#29 Edited by musicalmac (23346 posts) -

@charizard1605 said:

@IamAdorable said:

A lot of Nintendo stuff in there.

60% of the list is Nintendo

@musicalmac said:

What if you considered Angry Birds a shooter?...

(lol)

It'd be a puzzle game, and I think Tetris would beat it out there, no one edition of Angry Birds has sold as much as Tetris has.

Heh, I was being facetious.

#30 Edited by lamprey263 (24964 posts) -

@charizard1605 said:

@lamprey263 said:

@charizard1605 said:

@lamprey263 said:

if we're including packed in games as sales then the best selling game ever is probably either Solitaire or Minesweeper... like well over 1 billion sold

Sure, they can go in the... what genre are they anyway?

call it MISC, it's clear you took everything from VGChartz except the MISC category, and Wii Play doesn't deserve it since Solitaire / Minesweeper is clearly the superior lifetime seller

No, I got these numbers from Wikipedia, sir.

regardless if we're counting packed in games it should be mentioned, especially since all the others or only a fraction of either's lifetime sales, and we also shouldn't ignore Tetris

#31 Posted by tyloss (846 posts) -

Nintendo really fucked up, huh?

#32 Edited by R4gn4r0k (17434 posts) -

@Couth_ said:

How did you differentiate Action Adventure and Action? Action is such a broad genre and surely other things sold more than God of War. Assassins Creed and Metal Gear Solid come to mind.. Also how about Tetris for Puzzle and Minecraft for sandbox. They sold too much to not be mentioned

Yeah the genres in this thread are a bit meh

When I think racing I don't think Mario Kart, that is Kart Racing or Party game to me.

When I look at Wii Sports that is not a sports game to me. Just because there are sports in it doesn't mean that it's a sports game. GTA V has sports in it, yet isn't a sports game.

#33 Posted by Couth_ (10226 posts) -

@R4gn4r0k said:

@Couth_ said:

How did you differentiate Action Adventure and Action? Action is such a broad genre and surely other things sold more than God of War. Assassins Creed and Metal Gear Solid come to mind.. Also how about Tetris for Puzzle and Minecraft for sandbox. They sold too much to not be mentioned

Yeah the genres in this thread are a bit meh

When I think racing I don't think Mario Kart, that is Kart Racing or Party game to me.

When I look at Wii Sports that is not a sports game to me. Just because there are sports in it doesn't mean that it's a sports game. GTA V has sports in it, yet isn't a sports game.

Yeah if you are going to single out God of War as the highest selling ACTION game when other higher selling games in the sub genres under action exist, then you could classify all those Nintendo titles as party titles.

#35 Posted by R4gn4r0k (17434 posts) -

@Couth_ said:

@R4gn4r0k said:

@Couth_ said:

How did you differentiate Action Adventure and Action? Action is such a broad genre and surely other things sold more than God of War. Assassins Creed and Metal Gear Solid come to mind.. Also how about Tetris for Puzzle and Minecraft for sandbox. They sold too much to not be mentioned

Yeah the genres in this thread are a bit meh

When I think racing I don't think Mario Kart, that is Kart Racing or Party game to me.

When I look at Wii Sports that is not a sports game to me. Just because there are sports in it doesn't mean that it's a sports game. GTA V has sports in it, yet isn't a sports game.

Yeah if you are going to single out God of War as the highest selling ACTION game when other higher selling games in the sub genres under action exist, then you could classify all those Nintendo titles as party titles.

Haha, SMB can still be the best selling platformer though :p

But I completely agree with the point. Why not have 2D and 3D Platfomers ? If you are going to go further than just 'best selling video game of all time' than it shouldn't stop at really broad terms.

Best selling strategy game is comparing apples and oranges. What's the best selling RTS ? TBS ? RTT ? City Builder ? and so on and so forth.

#36 Posted by 93BlackHawk93 (5991 posts) -

I got WiiS, MKWii, SSBB and the All-Stars version of SMB.

#37 Edited by AznbkdX (3467 posts) -

I got all of them except for Simulation, Action, and sort of Action Adventure. Guessed the wrong GTA and honestly forgot about Nintendogs. Thought it would be one of the Sims.

#38 Edited by Bigboi500 (30515 posts) -

Nintendo domination continuation.

#39 Edited by glez13 (8968 posts) -

Isn't God of War an action adventure game? Also aren't shooters and platformers and fighters action games?

Almost forgot add adventure game.

#40 Edited by charizard1605 (60180 posts) -

@glez13 said:

Isn't God of War an action adventure game? Also aren't shooters and platformers and fighters action games?

Action game is usually a misnomer. It is used to refer to hack and slash (or similar) games

@Bigboi500 said:

Nintendo domination continuation.

6/10, not bad at all. That's a passing grade.

@AznbkdX said:

I got all of them except for Simulation, Action, and sort of Action Adventure. Guessed the wrong GTA and honestly forgot about Nintendogs. Thought it would be one of the Sims.

Which action game did you guess?

#41 Edited by glez13 (8968 posts) -

In case you missed my edit, add adventure games.

#42 Edited by AznbkdX (3467 posts) -

@charizard1605: Honestly I was thinking in the back of my mind god for war due to that franchises that need to die thread since everybody hates popular franchises. :P I pretty much wiped it out of my memory instantly after probably due to that threads influence haha.

There is a lot of genre mixes now so it's hard to tell what game is in what at times. For the popular ones that would be in here though and are normally set in there genres a bit better by the masses, there are only so many valid choices honestly.

#43 Edited by yokofox33 (30185 posts) -

Interesting thread. Thanks for sharing.

I got a few right I suppose.

#44 Posted by charizard1605 (60180 posts) -

@glez13 said:

In case you missed my edit, add adventure games.

Hi, I can't find the numbers, so I would appreciate it if you could help me with these, but the highest selling adventure game of all time is Myst, right?

@AznbkdX said:

@charizard1605: Honestly I was thinking in the back of my mind god for war due to that franchises that need to die thread since everybody hates popular franchises. :P I pretty much wiped it out of my memory instantly after probably due to that threads influence haha.

There is a lot of genre mixes now so it's hard to tell what game is in what at times. For the popular ones that would be in here though and are normally set in there genres a bit better by the masses, there are only so many valid choices honestly.

God of War isn't hated on because it's popular, it's hated on because it's stale :P

I mean, I adore the franchise, but it's been a downhill slide since II. Ascension was the last straw, really. Hopefully Sony Santa Monica can re-imagine the franchise and make it something special.

#45 Posted by Shewgenja (10338 posts) -

This is a neat thread.

#46 Posted by seanmcloughlin (38218 posts) -

Wii sports 82 million? :O

#47 Edited by charizard1605 (60180 posts) -

@Shewgenja said:

This is a neat thread.

Gracias

@seanmcloughlin said:

Wii sports 82 million? :O

People keep forgetting just how successful Nintendo's software and hardware was last generation :P

Congrats on the modship, btw!

#48 Posted by killatwill15 (855 posts) -

@charizard1605 said:

@glez13 said:

In case you missed my edit, add adventure games.

Hi, I can't find the numbers, so I would appreciate it if you could help me with these, but the highest selling adventure game of all time is Myst, right?

@AznbkdX said:

@charizard1605: Honestly I was thinking in the back of my mind god for war due to that franchises that need to die thread since everybody hates popular franchises. :P I pretty much wiped it out of my memory instantly after probably due to that threads influence haha.

There is a lot of genre mixes now so it's hard to tell what game is in what at times. For the popular ones that would be in here though and are normally set in there genres a bit better by the masses, there are only so many valid choices honestly.

God of War isn't hated on because it's popular, it's hated on because it's stale :P

I mean, I adore the franchise, but it's been a downhill slide since II. Ascension was the last straw, really. Hopefully Sony Santa Monica can re-imagine the franchise and make it something special.

but god of war 3,

damn when I did the first playthough everyone was watching,

my girlfriend actually cringed one of the first boss fights,

and helios,

for obvious reasons

#49 Posted by PsychoLemons (2296 posts) -

So, what are you trying to prove? (not in a bad way)

#50 Posted by MrYaotubo (2798 posts) -

@charizard1605 said:

Hi, I can't find the numbers, so I would appreciate it if you could help me with these, but the highest selling adventure game of all time is Myst, right?

Yep,Myst is the highest selling adventure game with 6 million copies sold,and that´s a really old number from the late 90´s,probably much higher now.