Did you anticipate the Sony comeback?

• 181 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45061 Posts

As much of a Sony fan I am, I really did not. Even with e3 2013, I did not expect the PS4 to be as successful as it is now. I also expected the Wii U to make a comeback, given the one year head start and price advantage. Don't get me wrong, I wasn't expecting it to be number 1, but I expected far healthier numbers. It looks like we are heading back to PS2 dominance, which is crazy in today's competitive landscape. What do you think, SW? Did you expect a lopsided win for Sony?

polishkid99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#2  Edited By polishkid99
Member since 2007 • 4787 Posts

@SolidGame_basic:

Kind of did after the Sony and Microsoft e3 conference. I ask people today why they don't buy an xbox one, they still think you can't trade games and kinect is always monitoring you through the internet check.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44025 Posts

When is this so called come back suppose to happen? All I see is the mass abandoning of the PoS3 and once again going to a new PS with hardly any noteworthy games. :P

PAL360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#4  Edited By PAL360
Member since 2007 • 30570 Posts

Only after February 2013. Sony did almost everything right with the PS4 (hardware, dev support, new controller, etc), which made me consider getting one. Xbox One announcement, later that year (forced kinect, no used games, always online, etc) helped on that decision.

Good thing that Phil spencer jumped in right in time for a 180º. Now they are both great systems!

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

let the circle jerk begin

Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#6 Gue1
Member since 2004 • 12171 Posts

nope. Because what you call a comeback is just sales but every gen PlayStation has always been the best.

GabensHerald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 GabensHerald
Member since 2015 • 171 Posts

What comeback? The company is still dead. Selling 20 million pissshit 4's won't erase billion dollar debts.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 lostrib

@gabensherald: no need to be upset

musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 1

#9 musicalmac  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 25098 Posts

@gabensherald said:

What comeback? The company is still dead. Selling 20 million pissshit 4's won't erase billion dollar debts.

That gif is brilliant. It couldn't be more accurate.

GabensHerald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By GabensHerald

@lostrib said:

@gabensherald: no need to be upset

Why be upset when Valve just completely dominated Sony and their 720P VR piece of trash?

Just demonstrating to the cows the complete obselence of consoles this generation. Even before launch, they lost.

http://hexus.net/gaming/news/pc/81292-pc-games-software-market-exceed-35bn-2018-says-oga/

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#11 Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts

Nope, not with the PS3, was personally excited with the PS4 but no way would it be in this position without Microsoft shotgunning themselves in the foot.

Avatar image for blue_hazy_basic
blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 blue_hazy_basic  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 30854 Posts

@gabensherald said:

i lol'd. Can't believe I hadn't seen that before.

As for the OP, I think Sony learned the lessons of the disaster that was the PS3 launch. Much more pro-consumer, lower price point and no attempt to trojan horse a new format in along with the system.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#13  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58837 Posts

Sony made that shit Spider-man movie, the one with Garfield and the electricity man.

They can go bankrupt, very poor movie.

FoxbatAlpha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 FoxbatAlpha
Member since 2009 • 10669 Posts

@SolidGame_basic said:

As much of a Sony fan I am, I really did not. Even with e3 2013, I did not expect the PS4 to be as successful as it is now. I also expected the Wii U to make a comeback, given the one year head start and price advantage. Don't get me wrong, I wasn't expecting it to be number 1, but I expected far healthier numbers. It looks like we are heading back to PS2 dominance, which is crazy in today's competitive landscape. What do you think, SW? Did you expect a lopsided win for Sony?

One day we will reflect on this gen like we do on the Neo Geo and Sega Genesis days. When we do reflect we will all talk about how Sony won but how much better the Xbox ONE was. Keep your chin up Mister.

FinalFighters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By FinalFighters
Member since 2013 • 3410 Posts

Not really, but lems can thank this guy for Sonys huge success with the PS4:

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45061 Posts

@FinalFighters said:

Loading Video...

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 lostrib

@gabensherald: eww VR

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

When the rumor mill was floating around the concept that the next XBox would essentially be a voice activated DVR, I knew Sony was going to win if that came to fruition. When the DRM came bubbling up from the surface after the XBone reveal, I knew it was seriously game over from a PR standpoint.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 22628 Posts

I actually think both Sony and Microsoft will play tug of war over the next several generations... Companies seem to be at their best when their backs are against the wall... That's a good thing for is by the way.

GabensHerald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 GabensHerald

@TheEroica said:

I actually think both Sony and Microsoft will play tug of war over the next several generations... Companies seem to be at their best when their backs are against the wall... That's a good thing for is by the way.

Sony is going the way of post Dreamcast Sega. People forget the Dreamcast was relatively successful for videogame sales at the time but they were so crippled by the Saturn they had to pull out of hardware. Sony is so crippled by its lame duck divisions and the billions of dollars they wasted on the Playstation division that is only making a slim profit now. The guy tipped to replace Kaz Hirai this year has already said even the PS division is not a sacred cow and is prepared to make cuts and get them out of hardware manufacture if the slim margins continue (Financially, even with the success of the PS4, Sony has made the least money out of all three console manufacturers)

Sony will be third party. MS will be trying to awkwardly embrace both PC and console markets at the same time and Nintendo will continue being Nintendo while Valve runs rampant (Unless they get a major hubris fuckup like SteamOS currently has the potential to do).

demon-returns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 demon-returns
Member since 2007 • 1451 Posts

@FinalFighters said:

That guy has the type of face that makes you just wanna slap the shit out of him

AzatiS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#23  Edited By AzatiS
Member since 2004 • 14969 Posts

@SolidGame_basic said:

I knew PS4 will be a beast . I was saying again and again that im glad that Sony F'ed everything up with PS3 so theyll learn from their mistakes , stop being arrogant and feel untouchable and go strong and humbled to next-gen ( PS4 ) . I knew Sony had what it takes to admit and learn from their mistakes and provide a solid , as cheap as possible , hardware with the well known Sony exclusives diversity this generation. And the result of that reflects on PS4s sales. Easy peasy for Sony this generation. No more overhyped , overpriced , complicated "craps".

Avatar image for Midnightshade29
Midnightshade29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 301

#24 Midnightshade29
Member since 2008 • 6003 Posts

@polishkid99 said:

@SolidGame_basic:

Kind of did after the Sony and Microsoft e3 conference. I ask people today why they don't buy an xbox one, they still think you can't trade games and kinect is always monitoring you through the internet check.

GOOD... People shouldn't be tricked by MS 180s. Their original vision was the vision of this console and they would of pulled if off if it wasn't for PS fans making fun of it all over the internet to the point where their sale pre-orders shrunk and bad press assembled.

If ms could get away with it, always online drm would be there right now. I personally don't want to own a console that had that goal during creation, nor do I want to support a company that agrees and facilitates with Obama spy networks.. (which are unconstitutional but the dems seem to get all sorts of crap passed by that shouldn't be, but will not get into here...). I also wouldn't want a console originally visioned as a kinect box, or one that is underpowered so you can do fantasy football as they buy out the rights to NFL. The exclusives are shit unless you like halo, and everything else runs better on ps4....

So why would someone in their right mind buy an xbone unless they need halo? I find it funny because the neilson survey said "Brand" as the number 1 reason for people buying it. A whole lot of misinformed fanboys buying on brand alone... sad..

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#25  Edited By Telekill
Member since 2003 • 12061 Posts

@gabensherald: If consoles or so obsolete why are both Valve and NVidia creating one? They're PC players... now making consoles.

GabensHerald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By GabensHerald
@Midnightshade29 said:

@polishkid99 said:

@SolidGame_basic:

GOOD... People shouldn't be tricked by MS 180s. Their original vision was the vision of this console and they would of pulled if off if it wasn't for PS fans making fun of it all over the internet to the point where their sale pre-orders shrunk and bad press assembled.

If ms could get away with it, always online drm would be there right now. I personally don't want to own a console that had that goal during creation, nor do I want to support a company that agrees and facilitates with Obama spy networks.. (which are unconstitutional but the dems seem to get all sorts of crap passed by that shouldn't be, but will not get into here...). I also wouldn't want a console originally visioned as a kinect box, or one that is underpowered so you can do fantasy football as they buy out the rights to NFL. The exclusives are shit unless you like halo, and everything else runs better on ps4....

So why would someone in their right mind buy an xbone unless they need halo? I find it funny because the neilson survey said "Brand" as the number 1 reason for people buying it. A whole lot of misinformed fanboys buying on brand alone... sad..

Then why did you buy an NSA Station 4 when Sony are having secret meetings with the NSA to conspire to spy on you

http://www.theverge.com/2014/12/11/7376599/anti-piracy-meeting-between-google-sony-eli-lilly-homeland-security

Cows are as brainless as lems. They just see the brand and say "SONY NEVER DID ANYTHING WRONG". Morons.

Midnightshade29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Midnightshade29

@AzatiS said:

@SolidGame_basic said:

I knew PS4 will be a beast . I was saying again and again that im glad that Sony F'ed everything up with PS3 so theyll learn from their mistakes , stop being arrogant and feel untouchable and go strong and humbled to next-gen ( PS4 ) . I knew Sony had what it takes to admit and learn from their mistakes and provide a solid , as cheap as possible , hardware with the well known Sony exclusives diversity this generation. And the result of that reflects on PS4s sales. Easy peasy for Sony this generation. No more overhyped , overpriced , complicated "craps".

Which is exactly what made the PS1 (my favorite console ever!!!) so succeessful. They started ps1 by courting 3rd party, making the licensing costs cheaper than anyone else (back then it was $10 per game and let 3rd parties market, manufacture and distribute their own games... i guess that part doesn't apply to today ) The PS1 was priced cheaper than the compeition and Sony supplied tools that made it easy to make games for.

Mark Cerny brought up the comparision to the ps1 in the reveal which is exactly why we are seeing such a massive influx of indies and AAA games on the PS4 ... it was made for gaming first... easy for devs to make new products on. It was genious and something they couldn't do for ps3 as Kutarigi made the thing a media - computer focused first .. not gaming. Ps4 like the ps1 is a games console first and foremost.

AzatiS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By AzatiS

@SecretPolice said:

When is this so called come back suppose to happen? All I see is the mass abandoning of the PoS3 and once again going to a new PS with hardly any noteworthy games. :P

Win another generation is a comeback when clearly lost last one. 60+ AAA/AA titles to choose from as of yet , double what X1 can offer this very moment while the big behemoths are around the corner. What else to ask for a 15 months old console when its company was releasing exclusive after exclusive for its older brother , PS3 , few months before PS4s release ? ( TLOU - GT6 ) ?

These titles could have been PS4 exclusives if Sony didnt care about PS3 as much as Nintendo didnt give an F about Wii and MS for X360. Where was Nintendo with Wii , the winner of last gen , when Sony was releasing exclusive after exclusive for PS3 ? They were waiting for Wii U ...rofl.. Where was MS with X360 when Sony was releasing TLOU and GT6 for PS3 ? They were too busy with X1s policies...

We gonna talk about which consoles offered what at the end of this generation. Thats how supposed to be done. Not at the very start. Its funny for people to calling Sony out about noteworthy games when Sony has the most AAA/AA exclusives every single generation since PS1 in the end let alone the best diversity there is and highly acclaimed NEW IPs every singe generation.

So please bro :) Come on ...

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60705 Posts

Seems like SONY has given gamers what they want this gen following the by gamers for gamers mantra,

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 SecretPolice

@AzatiS:

PS4 has no game mang, it's not my fault. I think I've seen where you said you have yet to purchase The Bore so at least you got that going for ya. :P

Midnightshade29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Midnightshade29

@lostrib said:

let the one liner cynical bitter fanboy bs remarks begin...

GabensHerald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By GabensHerald
@AzatiS said:

@SolidGame_basic said:

A beast? It's a Kitten with amputeed legs. Completely incapable of "Next Gen". In fact it would be a high powered PC in 2010.

So much so that Sony are already wheeling out Kurtagi nonsense with their 720P VR closed ecosystem headset which already got annihilated by Valve. Please get real. Sony arrogance is coming back. I will laugh at you cows once they announce cloud DRM at E3, they get that arrogant and you will eat up their "#4ThePlayersâ„¢" PR garbage again.

wolverine4262

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 wolverine4262
Member since 2004 • 20832 Posts

Never count out Sony marketing and hype.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 SecretPolice

@TheGuardian03 said:

@SecretPolice: pos3? The ps3 had great games dude. Despite where your bias lies at least Give credit where credit is due.

Eh, opinion vary and mine is, I'm just not into the whole movie game thingy but if you are then by all means, enjoy. :P

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By lostrib

@Midnightshade29: what is it I'm supposed to be bitter about?

Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#37  Edited By Gue1
Member since 2004 • 12171 Posts

@Midnightshade29 said:

@lostrib said:

let the one liner cynical bitter fanboy bs remarks begin...

indeed.

AzatiS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By AzatiS

@SecretPolice said:

@AzatiS:

PS4 has no game mang, it's not my fault. I think I've seen where you said you have yet to purchase The Bore so at least you got that going for ya. :P

Ps4 has 60+ AAA/AA games to choose from as of now with some exclusives in there that are not that bad. Infamous , resogun for example. I dont agree with the generic statement of "has no games" ... Of course it has games just not the big guns out .

Im a PC gamer , last generation was a messy one for too many reasons to mention so i didnt feel like spending money for any console . I was preferring to rent or play with friends the various great titles systems had to offer ( bunch of nerds beating games ). This generation with PS4 seems to be a different story. All im waiting is a great bundle or a price cut and im in. Besides i need a BD !!

cyclops10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 cyclops10
Member since 2004 • 696 Posts

I did after E3, it became obvious to most then i think? That was the biggest f up of an E3 ever(even more than RIDGE RACER), they singly handily ended this gen's race before it even started. I assume everyone involved was fired?

I'm surprised anyone stuck with the X-Box brand after they tried to screw gamers over like that tbh. Sycophancy?

Avatar image for deactivated-5a30e101a977c
deactivated-5a30e101a977c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#41 deactivated-5a30e101a977c
Member since 2006 • 5970 Posts

After E3 2013, and knowing how the internet is, I expected this

Avatar image for chikenfriedrice
chikenfriedrice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 chikenfriedrice
Member since 2006 • 13561 Posts

Yes after the MS E3 debacle....yes.

finalstar2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#44 finalstar2007
Member since 2008 • 27952 Posts

What Sony did was very simple.. they fixed everything they done with the PS3 and focused on the gamers by making a true gamers machine

Seabas989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Seabas989
Member since 2009 • 13565 Posts

@gabensherald said:

It's funny and sad at the same time.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 lostrib

@finalstar2007: what makes it a true gamers machine?

AzatiS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By AzatiS
@gabensherald said:
@AzatiS said:

@SolidGame_basic said:

A beast? It's a Kitten with amputeed legs. Completely incapable of "Next Gen". In fact it would be a high powered PC in 2010.

So much so that Sony are already wheeling out Kurtagi nonsense with their 720P VR closed ecosystem headset which already got annihilated by Valve. Please get real. Sony arrogance is coming back. I will laugh at you cows once they announce cloud DRM at E3, they get that arrogant and you will eat up their "#4ThePlayersâ„¢" PR garbage again.

Its a beast compared to X1/Wii U nevertheless. Im not comparing it to PC , im comparing it vs other consoles. Did you see how next-gen Uncharted 4 looked like ? It was impressive.

Also im not a cow , the last Sony console i own is PS2. I cant get more real than i am . PS4 exclusives are on the spot for my taste ( God of War / PT / BLoodBorne / Uncharted 4 / Ratchet / Persona 5 and more ) .

Everything else i dont give a crap about ... VR/PR/PTR/DRM whatever the case i dont care. All i want is a nice price for a console that will keep exclusives coming till next-gen with great diversity on different genres , new IPs and overall quality and thats something only Sony providing till the end of each generation. Thats why this generation im feeling again like buying a console. I have to buy a console since 2000 , thats 15 years ago , with PS2 that is. So after 15-16 years im feeling like buying a console again and yes bro , only Ps4 looks like a great deal.

Wii U will be dead in a year or 2 and its games are one of the same again and again which most of them i dont give a crap ( and for the ones i do i just rent them and thats how im saving alot of money ) and X1 hardware , price and above all exclusives diversity ( let alone multiplatform performance ) underwhelming.

PS4 , for my taste , its an easy choice this generation. All im waiting is a price cut / great bundle.

LordQuorthon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By LordQuorthon
Member since 2008 • 5803 Posts

I didn't expect the PS4 to do so well and I didn't expect the Vita to do so bad. I didn't expect the Wii U and Xbox Juan to be so utterly dominated. I also didn't anticipate PC to come back the way it has, particularly because it's mostly thanks to three now apparently ubiquitous games: Minecraft, DotA and LoL. Those three games alone seem to almost dwarf a big chunk of the AAA market, and that's actually pretty damn interesting.

AzatiS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By AzatiS

@TheGuardian03 said:

@AzatiS: don't bother. Some people here are pure bias and fanboyism.

I dont mind them ... Im backing up everything i say with valid arguments and reasons why this why that etc and im looking for their response thats all. In the end its system wars forum for a reason. Let them be bro , lets have some fun ! lol

KratosYOLOSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#50 KratosYOLOSwag
Member since 2013 • 1827 Posts

There is no comeback. Sony always wins. Everything's just as planned.