Did Sony Lie About DriveClub?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 22544 Posts

Or did they tell the truth...

In an industry where what you see and hear is not always factual.... ahhhh the power of clever advertising.... Sony announced a racing game with lots of promises to be ready for launch day of the Playstation 4.

Good move Sony...

I mean, MS was countering with the heavyweight champion of the industry in Forza and Sony already had slim pickings at launch to begin with.... (didnt stop me from buying it, Sony has some serious good mojo right now and they've earned the support) so having a quality racer ready was smart.

The question I can shake is...

Did Sony know that DriveClub was nowhere near ready for launch, but by announcing it and playing the "we've got a racer at launch" card against X1, made themselves look better?

I found it odd that the game was pushed at the very last minute to March... the fact that its been smashed to the end of 2014 with no release date feels like my hunch is correct.

BTW, DriveClub was the game I looked most forward to at launch... I almost cancelled my preorder, but I know Sony will deliver great games this year.

Avatar image for ReadingRainbow4
ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 ReadingRainbow4
Member since 2012 • 18733 Posts

I think the game was in very early production when they announced it as a launch title. It's clear to see this just by comparing how the game looks now and then, hell They even had a pre baked Sky box texture whereas now it's fully dynamic.

I'm honestly glad they delayed the title, it looks so good.

Animal-Mother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#3  Edited By Animal-Mother
Member since 2003 • 27362 Posts

Regardless of the delay, i'm happy i'd rather have a delayed game in the over rather than rushing something out. Also you shouldn't be complaining. When somethings free people complain the most. You'll be getting a hopefully kick ass racer game this year.

And don't pull that buh buh buh on me eroic, I know you all too well.

Avatar image for ghostwarrior786
ghostwarrior786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By ghostwarrior786
Member since 2005 • 5811 Posts

it could be a bit of both, maybe they knew it wouldnt be available for launch but were trying to make it to launch and couldnt. i dont think anyone was going to buy a ps4 for driveclub and mean who cares about racing games. m$ may be doing the same thing with halo 5, announce at e3 and enunciate a 2014 holiday release but release halo 2 anniversary instead

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

For all the bluster of Forza, it hardly exists in a Gran Turismo world. Driveclub seemed really damn promising but if the game isn't ready, it's just not ready. They are being very ambitious for making a first party racing title in the house GT built. Besides, the same studio was able to deliver Motorstorm at the PS3s launch. It doesn't seem like a stretch of the imagination to bet money the same studio would deliver again.

FoxbatAlpha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6  Edited By FoxbatAlpha
Member since 2009 • 10669 Posts

Sony lying is nothing new. Much like they just release 3 consoles in a country just to have the hype of launching in more countries than MS.

I always questioned why DC had just 10 second videos at first and now I see a massive downgrade. Still blind cows claim it looks better than Forza.lol

Who knows, it may turn into another GT5 with a 5 year release window.

RR360DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 RR360DD
Member since 2011 • 14099 Posts

Either way it loses because it'll get destroyed by Forza horizon later this year. Releasing in spring was Sonys best chance but looks like it'll miss that window.

kinectthedots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 kinectthedots
Member since 2013 • 3383 Posts

yep

Avatar image for always_explicit
always_explicit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 always_explicit
Member since 2007 • 3379 Posts

Its a bit of a shambles. Better a delayed game than a bad game, but failing to deliver on a launch title is poor form.

Avatar image for CrownKingArthur
CrownKingArthur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By CrownKingArthur
Member since 2013 • 5262 Posts

nah they didn't lie at all. everyone with ps+ has been enjoying driveclub ps+ edition as sony announced back in the day.

haha, just kidding. yeah sony lied to a bunch of consolites and took their money under false pretences.

Avatar image for blue_hazy_basic
blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By blue_hazy_basic  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 30854 Posts

Sony is infamous for showing games and then they get delayed ad infinitum and get shown at 2, 3 or more E3's as if they are coming soon and each time get hailed by the herd as if its an amazing victory.

Honestly its unlikely that Drive Club was going to be a launch title when it was being hyped as such.

Nike_Air

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Nike_Air
Member since 2006 • 19733 Posts
  • a) needed more development time - Motorstorm needed it too back in the day
  • b) didn't need it for launch or even launch window with Killzone +inFAMOUS , obviously
  • c) strategic plans to roll that Playstation momentum

I think we all can agree that all of these games were rushed in multiple ways for launch - Forza , Dead Rising , Killer Instinct , Ryse , Killzone , Knack. We really didn't need another one.

Avatar image for ghostwarrior786
ghostwarrior786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By ghostwarrior786
Member since 2005 • 5811 Posts

@RR360DD said:

Either way it loses because it'll get destroyed by Forza horizon later this year. Releasing in spring was Sonys best chance but looks like it'll miss that window.

hahahahah is forza an annual series now? hahaha so m$ have a halo factory in 343, the critically acclaimed black tusk who have never made a game is gears of war factory and now annual forza haha u cant make this stuff up

wolverine4262

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 wolverine4262
Member since 2004 • 20832 Posts

I completely agree with the OP. I had actually just assumed that was what Sony did. Its not like they havent done anything like that before. Remember E3 05?

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52420 Posts

Not to mention they trademarked it 9 years ago. They really did. You can check it online.

Shame there was no racer at launch.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 TheEroica  Moderator

@Animal-Mother said:

Regardless of the delay, i'm happy i'd rather have a delayed game in the over rather than rushing something out. Also you shouldn't be complaining. When somethings free people complain the most. You'll be getting a hopefully kick ass racer game this year.

bu bu bu bu.... damn it. haha animal :P

ok but seriously, did they not mislead customers a tad at launch?

Joedgabe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#18 Joedgabe
Member since 2006 • 5134 Posts

Not surprising. All 3 of them seem to do this though.

Animal-Mother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Animal-Mother

@TheEroica said:

@Animal-Mother said:

I don't think so. I mean it's the world we live in. Lol i'm living proof. You know how many times i've delayed X. Hahahah

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 TheEroica  Moderator

@Nike_Air said:
  • b) didn't need it for launch or even launch window with Killzone +inFAMOUS , obviously

I think we all can agree that all of these games were rushed in multiple ways for launch - Forza , Dead Rising , Killer Instinct , Ryse , Killzone , Knack. We really didn't need another one.

Nike... I love your commitment :P So you dont think they put DriveClub in front of us as a launch game simply to make the launch look better only to naturally announce its delay affter they soaked up all those pre orders?

Rage010101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Rage010101
Member since 2006 • 5470 Posts

yes they lied big time!

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 TheEroica  Moderator

@Animal-Mother said:

@TheEroica said:

@Animal-Mother said:

I don't think so. I mean it's the world we live in. Lol i'm living proof. You know how many times i've delayed X. Hahahah

I guess, though I'm hard pressed to think that Sony wasn't being a little snaky.

CrownKingArthur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By CrownKingArthur

tc - if you want to find the biggest fucking liar of a company in terms of baiting people with games, here is how to find them.

check out the wii u's 'launch window games', then check out how many of them made the launch window. 2/11 if i remember correctly.

Animal-Mother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Animal-Mother

@TheEroica said:

@Animal-Mother said:

@TheEroica said:

@Animal-Mother said:

I guess, though I'm hard pressed to think that Sony wasn't being a little snaky.

They're a company. They're supposed to lie to you to get your all might dollar? Ohh My God. Have I been living a lie? Edit: I wanna be Mad money mike. That's the guy in the name of that picture.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 TheEroica  Moderator

@CrownKingArthur said:

tc - if you want to find the biggest fucking liar of a company in terms of baiting people with games, here is how to find them.

check out the wii u's 'launch window games', then check out how many of them made the launch window. 2/11 if i remember correctly.

all they needed was dat bowling though...

:P

kinectthedots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 kinectthedots

@TheEroica said:

@Nike_Air said:

Nike... I love your commitment :P So you dont think they put DriveClub in front of us as a launch game simply to make the launch look better only to naturally announce its delay affter they soaked up all those pre orders?

Or, maybe they thought the game was looking to be better than just launch title gap filler material and decided to give the develpers time to pour in what they could to deliver the best title possible?

CrownKingArthur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 CrownKingArthur

@TheEroica said:

@CrownKingArthur said:

all they needed was dat bowling though...

:P

damn. sheep have been playing games a long time.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 TheEroica  Moderator

@kinectthedots said:

@TheEroica said:

@Nike_Air said:

Or, maybe they thought the game was looking to be better than just launch title gap filler material and decided to give the develpers time to pour in what they could to deliver the best title possible?

A possibility, sure... though a launch game getting postponed an entire year doesnt feel like that is the case. hmmm.

Jakandsigz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Jakandsigz
Member since 2013 • 6341 Posts

@FoxbatAlpha said:

Sony lying is nothing new. Much like they just release 3 consoles in a country just to have the hype of launching in more countries than MS.

Yes but they still have triple the amount of multi-thousand countries though. I still think MS might want to push a launch before summer.

gago-gago

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 gago-gago
Member since 2009 • 12138 Posts

Sony are known for making promises and making a huge list of games and features they would like. Their fans seem to be more excited about these promises and lists rather than the product actually being made and released on time and delivers as promised. Sony knows how easily their fans get hyped so they could make stuff up to continue to lure their fans.

kinectthedots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By kinectthedots

@TheEroica said:

@kinectthedots said:

@TheEroica said:

@Nike_Air said:

A possibility, sure... though a launch game getting postponed an entire year doesnt feel like that is the case. hmmm.

lol, I remember a few titles like Allan Wake, Splinter Cell Double agent andToo Human...hmm. Delays happen, and you don't have to come to the dramatic conclusion of "TEH LIES" for it to be the case.

Alan Wake was shown in 05, THE LIES, THE HYPE...came out in 09. Right..RIGHT? lol, sorry my mistake it came out in 2010.

inggrish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#32  Edited By inggrish
Member since 2005 • 10502 Posts

Interesting question Eroica.

I'm gonna say, no, they did not lie initially.

I think when it was announced in February, Evolution Studios were on track for a launch title, or Sony was led to believe that.

I think it's likely Evolution Studios dropped behind schedule if Sony wanted more features at that point, and forced Evolution Studios to ask for a delay. At this point I think Sony knew anytime from say March or April, but decided to remain quiet about the delay until the last possible moment, so as not to detract as much from the console launch.

HitmanActual

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#33 HitmanActual
Member since 2013 • 1351 Posts

Some would say a clever marketing move, but I also think Driveclub was never going to be a launch title let alone a PS+ title right off the bat. Sony knew it would help sales and also help sell the PS+ pitch, which I think it has. Just don't expect Driveclub to be a Plus title when it launches, although down the track once it's sales drop it may well be.

Sony are the masters at the bait and switch technique.

kuu2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By kuu2
Member since 2005 • 12054 Posts

@Shewgenja said:

For all the bluster of Forza, it hardly exists in a Gran Turismo world. Driveclub seemed really damn promising but if the game isn't ready, it's just not ready. They are being very ambitious for making a first party racing title in the house GT built. Besides, the same studio was able to deliver Motorstorm at the PS3s launch. It doesn't seem like a stretch of the imagination to bet money the same studio would deliver again.

Why talk about Forza.................oh thats right you are butt hurt.

@blue_hazy_basic said:

Sony is infamous for showing games and then they get delayed ad infinitum and get shown at 2, 3 or more E3's as if they are coming soon and each time get hailed by the herd as if its an amazing victory.

Honestly its unlikely that Drive Club was going to be a launch title when it was being hyped as such.

We have a winner Bob.

The question is out of these titles which will get the Last Guardian treatment this year.

-Drive Club

-The Order

Well................thats really all that is left for 2014 as far as AAA titles go.

There's always 2015 right Cows.

Giancar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Giancar
Member since 2006 • 19159 Posts

Glad they did. Dont want to deal with another Motorstorm with lack of features.

Nike_Air

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Nike_Air
Member since 2006 • 19733 Posts

@TheEroica said:

@Nike_Air said:

Not intentional from the start , no. But after where the game was at leading up to launch and knowing they were still confident enough with their lineup , their plans likely altered. It happens. I don't think there was a grand plan to mislead for this particular game.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60681 Posts

SONY practices the Live, Learn and Love philosophy. They did not lie. I'm glad they are taking time with the game and hopefully making it the best it can be by golly, because we're gonna play the h e double match stick out of it.

I_can_haz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 I_can_haz
Member since 2013 • 6511 Posts

There's no conspiracy, games get delayed all the time. This is nothing different.

lglz1337

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 lglz1337
Member since 2013 • 4959 Posts

like alan wake OP ?

Snugenz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Snugenz
Member since 2006 • 13388 Posts

It's a good idea really so i don't see why not, gives the fanboys something to add to lists for launch and keeps them happy.

Remember how many lists The Last Guardian was included in last gen as a reason to buy a PS3...

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

Creators need to get on our timetable, dammit!!!!

This applies to every delayed Game, Movie, Book, Music Album, Photo, app, or other artistic/entertainment work. I'm sick of waiting, I want it NOW!!!!

I remember waiting almost 5 years for Alan Wake, Killzone, The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess, S.T.A.L.K.E.R., Too Human, SPORE, the original FABLE, Duke Nukem ForNEVER...I'm sick of it. Some games never release EVER, these jerky companies lie and decide to cancel instead of delay. They skip the delay phase! What the MotherF***ing F**K!!! Cancelled, delayed...I want these products and I want them to entertain me now!

Damn, I bought a LAUNCH 360 waiting for Remedy's Alan Wake, and I know they lied too, right?!?!

Sneaky Companies that lie! F&*$%

There can't be any other explanation other than lying when 50-200+ people collaborate on a giant years long projects, it's they lied or..There is no OR!! It's certainly not because they need time or they ran into a snafu or are adding/editing content! NOPE JOKES people, JOKES!

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#42 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

@TheEroica: I was really looking forward to Driveclub and Watch Dogs. Both got delayed sadly. I really hope we get that game soon. Because it's the exclusive i look forward to the most

darkangel115

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 darkangel115
Member since 2013 • 4562 Posts

@SolidTy said:

This applies to every delayed Game, Movie, Book, Music Album, Photo, or other artistic work. I'm sick of waiting, I want it NOW!!!!

I remember waiting almost 5 years for Alan Wake, Killzone...I'm sick of it. Some games never release EVER! Cancelled, delayed...I want these now!

Sneaky Companies!!!!!

I don't think its that, OP was asking if people think sony pulled a "bait and switch" and lied about driveclub being there for launch when they knew it wouldn't be so they can do a "me too" with MS and forza

kinectthedots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 kinectthedots

@SolidTy said:

This applies to every delayed Game, Movie, Book, Music Album, Photo, or other artistic work. I'm sick of waiting, I want it NOW!!!!

I remember waiting almost 5 years for Alan Wake, Killzone...I'm sick of it. Some games never release EVER! Cancelled, delayed...I want these now!

Sneaky Companies!!!!!

The Eroica:

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

1.) There is probably a lesson here about launch consoles and early adoption, but I'm too lazy to figure it out.

2.) I guess after every new generation starts for the last 20+ years (SNES, Genesis, Turbographx, Saturn, PS1, N64, Dreamcast, PS2, GC, Xbox, Wii, PS3, 360, Wii U, Xbone, & PS4), I've been subjected years and year of delayed game 'theories'. I guess I'll be seeing it again when PS5/Xbox4/Wii64Cube release.

Some of the hypotheticals might have even been true (unprovable), but I still had to wait to play mah gamez. I guess we go back to point 1.) again.

---

EDIT:

If it's speculation, then the answer is simpler than the conspiracy thread. Sony is losing money not having that game out, assuming it's high quality. New IPs struggle, so it's vital the game is good and gets in early before the big boys come over like Gran Turismo.

Sony has a track record of (for the most part) 1st party excellence, and the PS4 1st party titles Knack and Killzone were metacritic letdowns. Hurt both franchises. Sony scrambled, and arguably the titles came out of the oven too early.

Hence, Drive Club's delay to ensure it's better. If the game ends up with a 70ish metascore, just think, it would have been 50s without the delay.

I'm not even into racers, so I haven't suffered a major delay with the machine yet. When I heard it was free with PS+, I still knew I wasn't going to play it. I wasn't interested in the multiplatform Watchdogs which also was delayed...eh.

Solution: Don't early adopt if delays get the better of you. Delays happen with every console every generation, and of course, the PC too...let us never forget.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 45992 Posts

@freedomfreak said:

Not to mention they trademarked it 9 years ago. They really did. You can check it online.

Shame there was no racer at launch.

Need for speed, bro, EA even pushed up the launch date to release it broke... I mean on time with the PS4 launch.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52420 Posts
@R4gn4r0k said:

Need for speed, bro, EA even pushed up the launch date to release it broke... I mean on time with the PS4 launch.

Oh, I meant an exclusive one. X1 had Forza. Ps4 was supposed to have Driveclub.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 45992 Posts

@freedomfreak said:

Oh, I meant an exclusive one. X1 had Forza. Ps4 was supposed to have Driveclub.

Yeah, having an exclusive racing game at launch is great to show of your console. But I dunno, they could've forced some game on there like a broken and early release of Driveclub or an upscaled version of GT6, but I'm glad they didn't.

Couth_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Couth_
Member since 2008 • 10369 Posts

I think initially they wanted it to be a launch title, but it's obvious it would have been pretty weak and shallow in most departments, like a typical launch game. It was either that or give it some time to be developed into a solid, polished game. They came to the realization that multiplats were going to be the early system sellers anyway. Overall I think they are much better off letting the full potential of the game be realized

Draign

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Draign
Member since 2013 • 1824 Posts

Come on..They had a speaker come out and talk about drive club for about 5- 10 minutes. Its not like they snuck in a sneak peak like MS did Halo 5 at E3. Sony flat out spoon fed its fanbase. Whatever, its spilled milk now. Its sickening to me as a gamer that this isnt even a full fledged title! Its friggin F2P...On top of that, its a drving game running at 30 fps! But, at the same time...can we expect a F2P game to 60 fps????

Drive Club is the only title that I reallly and truly despise. I give much more credit to Knack than this foolishness, any day of the week.