Did SONY do the right thing by hiring Mark Cerny?.

• 63 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by megaspiderweb09 (3686 posts) -

Is his reputation enough to warrant interest in the PS4 ?

#2 Posted by Clock-w0rk (3238 posts) -

100%

#3 Posted by blackace (19996 posts) -

Mark has a very good vision. I'm surprised Microsoft didn't hire him, but Mark has been working with Sony for so long, he just stayed with them. He's been in gaming industry as long as I've been gaming. That's a very long time. He is the guy who created Marble Madness and Major Havoc at the arcades. Two of my favorite games. He definitely has the experience and knowledge to help Sony recover from last-gen disastrous launch. Knack is going to be a good game, but I don't see it as being innovative. I want to see what else he can do with the PS4 hardware though.

#4 Posted by megaspiderweb09 (3686 posts) -

Mark has a very good vision. I'm surprised Microsoft didn't hire him, but Mark has been working with Sony for so long, he just stayed with them. He's been in gaming industry as long as I've been gaming. That's a very long time. He is the guy who created Marble Madness and Major Havoc at the arcades. Two of my favorite games. He definitely has the experience and knowledge to help Sony recover from last-gen disastrous launch. Knack is going to be a good game, but I do see it as being innovative. I want to see what else he can do with the PS4 hardware though. blackace

I think that KNACK game is more about the hardware capabilities, those little moving particles in the characters body and stuff

#5 Posted by Giancar (19043 posts) -
The guy knows about the industry. About games, He is a gamer, He is knowledgeable He knows about tech, He knows how to run a conference, He is fluid and gets to the point, He is a bad ass.
#6 Posted by NEWMAHAY (3760 posts) -
Didn't they hire Mark Cerny awhile ago? Do you mean did Sony do the right thing by making him lead architect? If so, then yes. Having an actual developer develop a console with his expertise in the field was a great idea.
#7 Posted by Zaibach (13430 posts) -

Sony's Miyamoto but without the senility

#8 Posted by burgeg (3599 posts) -

Cerny Domination Continuation.

#9 Posted by Giancar (19043 posts) -

Zaibach
Well, he is good. In fact, awesome. But Miyamoto holds a godly status regarding gaming development :P
#10 Posted by burgeg (3599 posts) -

[QUOTE="Zaibach"]

Giancar

Well, he is good. In fact, awesome. But Miyamoto holds a godly status regarding gaming development :P

So does Cerny. Go check out teh list of games he's worked on and dare to come back and tell me he hasn't earned that godly status too.

#11 Posted by Gue1 (9370 posts) -

I didn't even know who he was until the PS4 conference but everybody from game developers to gaming websites are saying that Sony did the right thing. And beside, the PS4 was built mostly from game developer's feedback.

#12 Posted by Giancar (19043 posts) -

[QUOTE="Giancar"][QUOTE="Zaibach"]

burgeg

So does Cerny. Go check out teh list of games he's worked on and dare to come back and tell me he hasn't earned that godly status too.

He is awesome, that's true. But come on it's freaking Miyamoto! Very interested is see how good will Cerny do to the PS4, as for now, he has been amazing. All the mistakes regarding the PS3, gone. And to deal with a bunch of Ceo's that don't have a freaking clue about gaming, well he has my respect for that.
#13 Posted by fusionhunter (2009 posts) -

Absolutely Mark hit all the nails on the head.

Mark as everyone has said is a badass.

#14 Posted by hexashadow13 (5157 posts) -
[spoiler] Major Havok (1983, arcade) Programmer, Designer Marble Madness (1984, arcade) Programmer, Designer Shooting Gallery (1987, Master System) Programmer, Designer Missile Defense 3-D (1987, Master System) Programmer, Designer Shanghai (1988, port to Master System) Programmer California Games (1989, port to Master System) Programmer Dick Tracy (1990, Genesis) Programmer, Designer Kid Chameleon (1991, Genesis) Programmer, Designer Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (1992, Genesis) Producer Crash n Burn (1993, 3DO) Programmer, Designer Total Eclipse (1994, 3DO) Programmer, Designer Disruptor (1996, PlayStation) Executive Producer, Designer Crash Bandicoot (1996, PlayStation) Executive Producer Crash Bandicoot 2: Cortex Strikes Back (1997, PlayStation) Producer, Designer Spyro the Dragon (1998, PlayStation) Executive Producer, Designer Crash Bandicoot 3: Warped (1998, PlayStation) Executive Producer, Designer Spyro the Dragon 2: Ripto's Rage! (1999, PlayStation) Executive Producer Crash Bash (2000, PlayStation) Producer, Designer Spyro: Year of the Dragon (2000, PlayStation) Design Consultant Jak and Daxter: The Precursor Legacy (2001, PS2) Programmer Ratchet and Clank (2002, PS2) - Designer Jak II (2003, PS2) Programmer, Designer Ratchet & Clank: Going Commando (2003, PS2) Designer Ratchet & Clank: Up Your Arsenal (2004, PS2) Design Consultant Resistance: Fall of Man (2006, PS3) Design Consultant Uncharted: Drake's Fortune (2007, PS3) Design Consultant Ratchet & Clank Future: Tools of Destruction (2007, PS3) Design Consultant Resistance 2 (2008, PS3) Designer God of War III (2010, PS3) Design Consultant Killzone 3 (2011, PS3) Design Consultant Knack (PS4) - Director, Designer [/spoiler] Yes, yes they did.
#15 Posted by HaRmLeSS_RaGe (1270 posts) -

Mark Cerny is great but lets be honest, anyone would have been an improvement over the usual clowns $ony rolls out on stage.

#16 Posted by Nintendo_Ownes7 (30917 posts) -

Didn't they hire Mark Cerny awhile ago? Do you mean did Sony do the right thing by making him lead architect? If so, then yes. Having an actual developer develop a console with his expertise in the field was a great idea. NEWMAHAY
He worked for Sony since atleast 1996. Because he is incharge of working with developers he worked with Naughty Dog on Crash Bandicoot and he worked with Insomniac on Spyro.

#17 Posted by charizard1605 (55343 posts) -
F*CK YES. Seriously, it's the greatest thing Sony has done in the last ten years, the guy knows what he is doing.
#18 Posted by NoirLamia777 (2122 posts) -

Hell yes, he's going to be in the history books.

#19 Posted by 6_Shooter_25 (220 posts) -

All signs point to a resounding "YES!" at this point.

#20 Posted by emgesp (2041 posts) -

Mark Cerny is exactly what Sony needs right now. He comes off as a very likeable guy that is more relatable to us gamers than some suit on stage. I could listen to Cerny talk about games endlessly. 

#21 Posted by Maddie_Larkin (6227 posts) -

I think he is one of the best they could get yeah, I don't envy him, at this point no mistakes are berable for Sony, and Cerny is one of those rather unique people who knows all areas of the industry that matters when it comes to making games, and he likely knows a good deal on finances aswell.

Say what you will about th PS4 reveal, but I think that at a pure cost performance scale it is the best ballanced console created in newer time. The Infrastructure of the thing sounds far better still.

I would not give him ALL that credit, but if he is the driving force, then he is to thank for the clear direction the PS4 is taking, not as with the PS3 where it were to do everything and ended up doing nothing that would make history (apart from pricepoint maybe :P)

Basicly the PS4 somewhat reminded me of a return to the PS1-2 era of vision, leaving the bunch of suits in a conferance room yelling at what needs to be in the thing to appeal to this and that group of people.

Ofcourse I know that it WILL have all the media hub things expected, that it is just not talked about yet. But the gaming section sounds so clean, and funktional. And here I mean as much from a Dev standpoint as an end user one.

#22 Posted by I_can_haz (6551 posts) -

:cool: Obviously they did.

#ThankYouSony

#23 Posted by Obviously_Right (5091 posts) -

iyBo7wsqPI6Zm.gif.

#24 Posted by Nengo_Flow (9376 posts) -
All I care is that Jack Trentton host the E3 conferences. That man does an awsome job.
#25 Posted by megaspiderweb09 (3686 posts) -

iyBo7wsqPI6Zm.gif.

Obviously_Right

That was preety quick

#26 Posted by Zaibach (13430 posts) -

iyBo7wsqPI6Zm.gif.

Obviously_Right

MOar!!

#27 Posted by senses_fail_06 (6735 posts) -
Yes, geniuses are hard to come by. Sony has tons of them, but you can never have too many.
#28 Posted by NathanDrakeSwag (5127 posts) -

Thank you Lord Kaz for hiring Lord Cerny.

#29 Posted by Heil68 (43186 posts) -
Yup, by gamers for gamers, the Sony way.
#30 Posted by blackace (19996 posts) -

[QUOTE="blackace"]Mark has a very good vision. I'm surprised Microsoft didn't hire him, but Mark has been working with Sony for so long, he just stayed with them. He's been in gaming industry as long as I've been gaming. That's a very long time. He is the guy who created Marble Madness and Major Havoc at the arcades. Two of my favorite games. He definitely has the experience and knowledge to help Sony recover from last-gen disastrous launch. Knack is going to be a good game, but I do see it as being innovative. I want to see what else he can do with the PS4 hardware though. megaspiderweb09

I think that KNACK game is more about the hardware capabilities, those little moving particles in the characters body and stuff

Yeah, but that could be done on the current generation systems as well.
#31 Posted by Nintendo_Ownes7 (30917 posts) -

Thank you Lord Kaz for hiring Lord Cerny.

NathanDrakeSwag

I don't think Kaz hired Mark Cerny; He started at Sony of America around 1995/1996.

#32 Posted by Shewgenja (8298 posts) -

Mark Cerny is great but lets be honest, anyone would have been an improvement over the usual clowns $ony rolls out on stage.

HaRmLeSS_RaGe
I find this immensely funny and ironic considering you are a fan of MS and they have Phil Harrison now. On topic: Yes, Cerny as system architect was an incredibly good decision. He knows the industry inside and out. Not only is the system very well thought out, but he also has a lot of relationships within the industry that can be leveraged to bring developers on board as well. He's kind of like the Mister Scarface of videogames. It seems like he is your favorite developer's favorite developer. PS4 is starting out on the right foot, and Sony needs a strong start after the bumbling of the PS3.
#33 Posted by blackace (19996 posts) -
All I care is that Jack Trentton host the E3 conferences. That man does an awsome job.Nengo_Flow
I don't care much for Jack. He's another one of Sony's PR Spinners. Has a tendency of overhyping stuff and making stupid statements. Jack Trentton: "People will buy the PS3 even if it doesn't have any launch games." Who can forget this crap from Jack. When the PS3 weren't selling in January 2007, Jack made this statement to EGM. "Jack Trenton from Sony did an interview with Electronic Gaming Monthly early in January where he says he will give anyone who can find a PS3 on store shelves that has been there more than five minutes $1200. Seems this guy owes me $2400 as both my local Best Buy and my local Wal-Mart have had 60GB versions sitting there for the last few weeks." http://www.i4u.com/12016/sonys-jack-trenton-says-he-will-give-you-1200-finding-ps3s-store-shelv Jack is so full of @#$%.
#34 Posted by Heil68 (43186 posts) -
[QUOTE="Nengo_Flow"]All I care is that Jack Trentton host the E3 conferences. That man does an awsome job.blackace
I don't care much for Jack. He's another one of Sony's PR Spinners. Has a tendency of overhyping stuff and making stupid statements. Jack Trentton: "People will buy the PS3 even if it doesn't have any launch games." Who can forget this crap from Jack. When the PS3 weren't selling in January 2007, Jack made this statement to EGM. "Jack Trenton from Sony did an interview with Electronic Gaming Monthly early in January where he says he will give anyone who can find a PS3 on store shelves that has been there more than five minutes $1200. Seems this guy owes me $2400 as both my local Best Buy and my local Wal-Mart have had 60GB versions sitting there for the last few weeks." http://www.i4u.com/12016/sonys-jack-trenton-says-he-will-give-you-1200-finding-ps3s-store-shelv Jack is so full of @#$%.

I'd like to thank  Jack Tretton, your loyalty, perseverance and dedication has helped Sony reach it's goals and making Sony the #1 console of choice.That is real freedom. That is being educated, and understanding how to think. The alternative is unconsciousness, the default setting, the rat race, the constant gnawing sense of having had, and lost, some infinite thing.You have dared to go where others have been scared to go Jack, Thank you and God bless Sony USA.
#35 Posted by blackace (19996 posts) -
Yes, geniuses are hard to come by. Sony has tons of them, but you can never have too many.senses_fail_06
I don't think so. If that was true they wouldn't have lost this current generation and launched an overpriced PS3 system to the world. They wouldn't be selling HQ buildings just to show a profit to their shareholders. Take your face out of Kaz's @$$ already. Sony is lucky to have Mark C. He's no geniuses either, but he's smart enough to help Sony get back on track. He knows hardware and the gaming industry, which is a big plus.
#36 Posted by blackace (19996 posts) -
[QUOTE="blackace"][QUOTE="Nengo_Flow"]All I care is that Jack Trentton host the E3 conferences. That man does an awsome job.Heil68

I'd like to thank  Jack Tretton, your loyalty, perseverance and dedication has helped Sony reach it's goals and making Sony the #1 console of choice.That is real freedom. That is being educated, and understanding how to think. The alternative is unconsciousness, the default setting, the rat race, the constant gnawing sense of having had, and lost, some infinite thing.You have dared to go where others have been scared to go Jack, Thank you and God bless Sony USA.

He's still a dick, not matter how you look at him. The facts still remain the same.
#37 Posted by smokedopedie (291 posts) -

Seems to me he's actually one of the people steering sony in the right direction again.

#38 Posted by hexashadow13 (5157 posts) -
[QUOTE="blackace"][QUOTE="Heil68"][QUOTE="blackace"] I don't care much for Jack. He's another one of Sony's PR Spinners. Has a tendency of overhyping stuff and making stupid statements. Jack Trentton: "People will buy the PS3 even if it doesn't have any launch games." Who can forget this crap from Jack. When the PS3 weren't selling in January 2007, Jack made this statement to EGM. "Jack Trenton from Sony did an interview with Electronic Gaming Monthly early in January where he says he will give anyone who can find a PS3 on store shelves that has been there more than five minutes $1200. Seems this guy owes me $2400 as both my local Best Buy and my local Wal-Mart have had 60GB versions sitting there for the last few weeks." http://www.i4u.com/12016/sonys-jack-trenton-says-he-will-give-you-1200-finding-ps3s-store-shelv Jack is so full of @#$%.

He's still a dick, not matter how you look at him. The facts still remain the same.

What? I think he's awesome.
#39 Posted by Heil68 (43186 posts) -
[QUOTE="hexashadow13"][QUOTE="blackace"][QUOTE="Heil68"] I'd like to thank  Jack Tretton, your loyalty, perseverance and dedication has helped Sony reach it's goals and making Sony the #1 console of choice.That is real freedom. That is being educated, and understanding how to think. The alternative is unconsciousness, the default setting, the rat race, the constant gnawing sense of having had, and lost, some infinite thing.You have dared to go where others have been scared to go Jack, Thank you and God bless Sony USA.

What? I think he's awesome.

Me too, I actually wrote to him and asked him to send me an autograph.
#40 Posted by BranKetra (47785 posts) -

Is his reputation enough to warrant interest in the PS4 ?

megaspiderweb09
Yes The list of games he worked on is impressive and listening to him talk proves he personally knows about video games and plays them. He should do good things at Sony.
#41 Posted by senses_fail_06 (6735 posts) -

[QUOTE="senses_fail_06"]Yes, geniuses are hard to come by. Sony has tons of them, but you can never have too many.blackace
I don't think so. If that was true they wouldn't have lost this current generation and launched an overpriced PS3 system to the world. They wouldn't be selling HQ buildings just to show a profit to their shareholders. Take your face out of Kaz's @$$ already. Sony is lucky to have Mark C. He's no geniuses either, but he's smart enough to help Sony get back on track. He knows hardware and the gaming industry, which is a big plus.

Overpriced? Lol no. Expensive? Sure, if you're poor or whatever. If anything, the PS3 should have been more than $600. I felt as if I was ripping Sony off. Ps3 was also the best investment of all the consoles, obviously.

#42 Posted by timbers_WSU (5753 posts) -

Guy is most certainly worth it. Still not sure about the new game though.

#44 Posted by hippiesanta (9757 posts) -

they are the same person

#45 Posted by pc-ps360 (3455 posts) -

i dont know wat type of influnce he had if any. but the ps4 until now looks great, compared to the disasters sony made when launching the ps3 and in thefamous speech(onlyy 599$).

everything next gen is looking great for sony now we need to system to not exceed 399$ and sony would have done the fans and gamers a great service

#46 Posted by pc-ps360 (3455 posts) -

i dont know wat type of influence he had if any. but the ps4 until now looks great, compared to the disasters sony made when launching the ps3 and in the famous speech(onlyy 599$).

everything next gen is looking great for sony now we need to system to not exceed 399$ and sony would have done the fans and gamers a great service

pc-ps360

#47 Posted by megaspiderweb09 (3686 posts) -

i dont know wat type of influnce he had if any. but the ps4 until now looks great, compared to the disasters sony made when launching the ps3 and in thefamous speech(onlyy 599$).

pc-ps360

I personally think $350 would be a very good reasonable price point for a good launch

#48 Posted by ultraking (6904 posts) -

they are the same person

hippiesanta
Mark Cerny is really CGI
#49 Posted by Benny_Blakk (906 posts) -

[QUOTE="hippiesanta"]

they are the same person

ultraking

Mark Cerny is really CGI

LMAO

Mark Cerny is Otacon without glasses?

Nice one!

#50 Posted by xWoW_Rougex (2749 posts) -

No idea but I do know that his speech during E3 was one of the funniest events of this year. Every year during E3 I venture to the IGN's teh vesti E3 thread and have a great laugh and this time, all the laughs and jokes about how creepy he was was hilarious. (but also rather cruel jokes)