Did microsoft suffer the third console curse?

• 55 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Sweenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#1 Sweenix
Member since 2013 • 5957 Posts

This is actually a serious topic, it just seems like things are pointing that way, nothing is going right for microsoft, and it will be outsold at launch

And the recent reports of games running at 720p hurt all that momentum they recently gained.

Now i'm not saying they cant gain it back, sony rebounded from the third console curse, i just think microsoft needs to do something really quickly before the xbox brand diminishes.

RossRichard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2 RossRichard
Member since 2007 • 3738 Posts

If they didn't dial back the DRM, definitely. Since they dialed back the DRM, it'll sell pretty well. The hardware advantage PS4 has over XBone won't matter too much in the long run.

Sweenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Sweenix

@RossRichard said:

If they didn't dial back the DRM, definitely. Since they dialed back the DRM, it'll sell pretty well. The hardware advantage PS4 has over XBone won't matter too much in the long run.

No, but the fact that the PS4 is $100 cheaper, while having a hardware advantage will hurt them.

DerekLoffin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 47

#4 DerekLoffin
Member since 2002 • 9095 Posts

Can't say for sure yet as it hasn't launched. While things look rather underwhelming in the XB1 camp, it is no longer disaster ville. They may yet turn this around and come out with a competitive console. Must remember though, MS's bar is set rather low. They haven't really been a true gen winner yet.

RossRichard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 RossRichard
Member since 2007 • 3738 Posts

@Sweenix said:

No, but the fact that the PS4 is $100 cheaper, while having a hardware advantage will hurt them.

That's only at launch. Remember the PS3 was $200 more expensive than the 360 at one point.

Avatar image for always_explicit
always_explicit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 always_explicit
Member since 2007 • 3379 Posts

The fact that you would talk about judging an unreleased console in the past tense when this generation went on for ten years seems a little stupid.

How would we possibly know??

A fool can see the run up to launch has been a nightmare but so far that would be the only thing we can judge objectively without getting all fanboy up in here.

sonny2dap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 sonny2dap
Member since 2008 • 2063 Posts

@Sweenix: MS's current offering did very well, so well that they got comfortable, even with hardware numbers being close MS has enjoyed dominant software sales in all the regions that matter to them, this caused them to lose sight of a key fact their main competitor in the shape of Sony was not going to go quietly into the night and prolong a generation defined by a lack of vision on the part of Sony, from my own interpretation it would appear to me Sony have acknowledged the mistakes they have made this gen and are looking to move forward with the PS4, MS for their part whilst pushing for a new system and features seem to have assumed the installed base on the 360 would jump onto to the one because of Live, unfortunately this means they pushed forward with MS's ideal money Milker without considering consumer appeal as the primary driver of revenue, they have taken steps to redress this after consumer backlash but the prevailing wisdom is the One lacks a certain amount of direction.

barrybarryk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By barrybarryk
Member since 2012 • 488 Posts
@Sweenix said:

@RossRichard said:

I think we all know MS will be launching a Kinect free bundle at around the PS4's price point in a few months

R3FURBISHED

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#11 R3FURBISHED
Member since 2008 • 12408 Posts

Based on number of consoles that were sold at launch and within the first year?

waltefmoney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 waltefmoney
Member since 2010 • 18030 Posts

No such thing as a curse.

adders99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 adders99
Member since 2005 • 2623 Posts

@SNIPER4321 said:

Microsoft should never enter and took a foot in Gaming industry.

one of the reason to hate microsoft and that billionair bill gates.

so you hate MS because they started making consoles? lol wut.

always_explicit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 always_explicit

@SNIPER4321 said:

Bill gates is the founder of the worlds largest transparently operated charitable foundation....maybe you should have a look and see just how much money that man gives away...what a bastard!!

jim1174

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By jim1174
Member since 2003 • 301 Posts

Having the kinect come with every xbox was a smart thing. since the kinect does come with every xbox, game developers are more likely to use that technology in game. Game developers are going to do some pretty cool things with the kinect technology. Game developers wont even waist there time or money with the ps eye because not every ps4 owner will have a ps eye. Ps4 owners are going to see all the cool things being done with kinect and wish the ps eye came with there ps4

dvalo9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 dvalo9
Member since 2010 • 1301 Posts

No because cod, doritos, mountain dew and 12 year olds

danabo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 danabo
Member since 2003 • 2438 Posts

The arrogance, stupidity and misdirection surrounding the One reveal resembles the PS3 launch, and hopefully the drop in market share matches the Playstation brands drop. Said this in a news article comment earlier, but "if the One does fail we could see a new Xbox within three-five years, one aimed at the audience that made it a success." Well, I can dream.

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#19 HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 13660 Posts

The gen hasn't even begun. Even if it is more expensive, it will only be so for the first year maybe.

Muffin2020

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#20 Muffin2020
Member since 2013 • 534 Posts

@SNIPER4321 said:

Not sure what the hate is on Bill Gates.

If being the world largest philanthropist still makes him bad in your eyes I'm not sure what will change that.

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 tormentos
Member since 2003 • 33784 Posts

@Sweenix said:

This is actually a serious topic, it just seems like things are pointing that way, nothing is going right for microsoft, and it will be outsold at launch

And the recent reports of games running at 720p hurt all that momentum they recently gained.

Now i'm not saying they cant gain it back, sony rebounded from the third console curse, i just think microsoft needs to do something really quickly before the xbox brand diminishes.

No just 3rd console greed.

always_explicit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 always_explicit

@muffin2020: Jealousy.

Floppy_Jim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#23  Edited By Floppy_Jim
Member since 2007 • 25931 Posts

So far, yes. The PS3 did too and that ended up relatively fine. The 3rdCC doesn't have to mean your console is doomfucked, just that arrogance and complacency squandered what could have been.

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By tormentos
Member since 2003 • 33784 Posts

@RossRichard said:

@Sweenix said:

That's only at launch. Remember the PS3 was $200 more expensive than the 360 at one point.

Yes but the hardware inside worth more than the xbox 360 complete price and then some.

Blu-ray

Wifi

HDMI

Media card reader

60GB HDD

@barrybarryk said:
@Sweenix said:

@RossRichard said:

I think we all know MS will be launching a Kinect free bundle at around the PS4's price point in a few months

MS deny that and that would make launch buyers even more mad,since they wanted a cheaper unit on launch,that would also break kinect to.

Suppaman100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Suppaman100
Member since 2013 • 5250 Posts

@always_explicit said:

The fact that you would talk about judging an unreleased console in the past tense when this generation went on for ten years seems a little stupid.

A fool can see the run up to launch has been a nightmare but so far that would be the only thing we can judge objectively without getting all fanboy up in here.

Well atleast you acknowledge that the launch/reveal of Xbone sucks.

always_explicit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 always_explicit

@Suppaman100 said:

@always_explicit said:

Well atleast you acknowledge that the launch/reveal of Xbone sucks.

Well contrary to popular belief Im not a fanboy....I Have a playstation 1,2 and 3. I just didnt like the PS3 at all and I prefer the X1 as an all in one entertainment system...its more useful to me than the PS4.

You really would have to be a special sort of fanboy to claim the X1 has had a successful reveal/pre launch.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 22631 Posts

Keep bumping the thread for ten years and by then there will be someone who knows.

always_explicit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 always_explicit

@SNIPER4321 said:

@always_explicit said:

@SNIPER4321 said:

Bill gates is the founder of the worlds largest transparently operated charitable foundation....maybe you should have a look and see just how much money that man gives away...what a bastard!!

every good man give charity. and best charity givers are who that dont tell world to that they give charity. bill gates give charity not because he care about poor ppls. because he should looks good in the eyes of world.

So you hate him because he is successful in business and also because he gives to chairty anything else???

Any idea what MS money does for the American/global economy? Actually il broaden the question. Do you know anything about anything? or do words just spill out into a barely cohesive soup that other unfortunate human beings actually end up swallowing against their will.

TruthArisen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By TruthArisen
Member since 2013 • 403 Posts

It's weird. Normally it's " third times the charm " but that doesn't seem to be happening here. The first xbox got manhandled by ps2, then the 360 blew its early advantage by losing not only exclusive numbers, but sales numbers to ps3. I tend to think that if Xbone isn't successful this time around, that will be the end of the Xbox brand.

RR360DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 RR360DD
Member since 2011 • 14099 Posts

What do you mean 'did'.

The console hasn't even released yet.

And Ive seen cows mention this third console curse A LOT, yet they think the PS3 won last gen LOL

Greatness05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#33 Greatness05
Member since 2005 • 1272 Posts

@RR360DD said:

What do you mean 'did'.

And Ive seen cows mention this third console curse A LOT, yet they think the PS3 won last gen LOL

lmao U beat me to it.

Sweenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Sweenix

@RR360DD said:

What do you mean 'did'.

That's rich, especially coming from a delusional fanboy like yourself.

RR360DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 RR360DD

@Sweenix said:

@RR360DD said:

What do you mean 'did'.

Whats rich? Your incorrect use of the past tense?

Sweenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Sweenix

@RR360DD said:

@Sweenix said:
@RR360DD said:

What do you mean 'did'.

It's not incorrect, if i'm right

Which "As of right now" i am, Third console curse or not, The xbox one is exactly in the same position as the ps3, But with 1 disadvantage, The ps3 came afterwards from the ps2, While the xbox one came after a much less successful xbox 360.

edwardecl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By edwardecl
Member since 2005 • 2240 Posts

In my opinion all 3 Microsoft consoles have been half arsed attempts...

Xbox - Bulky noisey hardware (although more powerful too late) that failed to win over most consumers, no long term support either.

Xbox 360 - Noisey unreliable hardware which overall was expensive when you factor in the features you had to pay for after to get the intended experience, Kinect tied up first party developers to develop for yet more half arsed hardware, external PSU which can also fail, Firmware updates that bricked the console proper or caused the discs not to load no software fix.

Xbox One - Hyped DRM features from MS (180'd), Underpowered hardware (although probably silent), External PSU, TV - Sports (Jokes aside their advertising is bad), failed to convince most users why the Kinect is a required component, Most Kinect games and features not being available to people until next year, Developers not being clear what the finished games look like less than a month before release, Xbox PR team being a bunch or arrogant...

Not saying Sony has the best track record, sure they have made me angry...

PS1 - Drive laser failed with 100% certainty.

PS2 - Ditto.

PS3 - Awful launch price, Launch consoles unreliable, Over sized for a lot of people, Developers released unoptimized games for a few years, removal of firmware features with no option to opt out (update or you can't play new games). Firmware updates that bricked the console until Sony released a fix (this one got me), Over hyped features and arrogant PR.

Netret0120

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#38 Netret0120
Member since 2013 • 3594 Posts

That DRM nonsense would have handed the gen to sony on a silver platter.

Now they have a fighting chance but i doubt they will win.

shawn30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 shawn30
Member since 2006 • 4409 Posts

@DerekLoffin said:

Can't say for sure yet as it hasn't launched. While things look rather underwhelming in the XB1 camp, it is no longer disaster ville. They may yet turn this around and come out with a competitive console. Must remember though, MS's bar is set rather low. They haven't really been a true gen winner yet.

When you gang rape a chunk a huge chunk of Sony's market share and triple your console sales from the previous gen, I think there's a easy argument MS won the last gen. But fast forward to this one, it has always and will always come down to the games and the experiences. The hasn't lopst any momentum cause those who are bitching the most weren't even going to buy it anyone. Its news and like all news, good or bad, its the games and everything else that will sell. MS has recovered nicely from the initial disaster of E3 and launch is comig in under 30 days. Its amazing how some of you have sounded the dearth bell, and yet forget PS3 had the worse launch ever cause it actually launched with all the issues, whereas MS fixed alot of there.

Anyway, in the end this gen will be yet another fight as I just don't see either system failing or getting anywhere close to PS2 days. The PS4 may be easier to get the 1080p for those that care, but the One will get better optimized and you'll see more of it as the gen goes on. I'm just gonna play the games and let everything else sort itself out. But claiming something is a diaster when most who are saying it had no intention of buying it is pretty stupid. This is a marathon for both consoles and nothing is ever dead. Each will make strategic moves. Its gonna be damn fun though for us gamers and they fight tooth and nail.

StormyJoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 StormyJoe
Member since 2011 • 7806 Posts

@Sweenix said:

Nothing is going right for Microsoft and XBox One other than: selling out pre-orders, having the best launch line up, being declared the must-have gadget of Christmas 2013, etc.

Yeah, nothing at all...

Caseytappy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Caseytappy
Member since 2005 • 2199 Posts

Cows already spending the prize money before the actual match is played like last gen .

Suppaman100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Suppaman100
Member since 2013 • 5250 Posts

@RR360DD said:

What do you mean 'did'.

Best games and better sales than 360.

PS3 won between the two hd consoles.

PS3 official HD console winner.

RR360DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 RR360DD

@Sweenix said:

@RR360DD said:

@Sweenix said:
@RR360DD said:

What do you mean 'did'.

It's not incorrect, if i'm right

Which "As of right now" i am, Third console curse or not, The xbox one is exactly in the same position as the ps3, But with 1 disadvantage, The ps3 came afterwards from the ps2, While the xbox one came after a much less successful xbox 360.

It is incorrect. You can't ask "did MS suffer the third console curse?" when their third console isn't out yet. How could anyone possibly answer that.

And no its definitely not in the same position. Sony arrogantly released the PS3, saw the lack of interest and success of the 360, and THEN they started damage control. MS on the other hand started damage control a while ago, long before the release of the console.

Also the PS3 was worse than the 360 in pretty much every conceivable way (bar their inclusion of a blu ray player). Now, it seems the PS4 has better hardware performance on paper, but not much else.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178838 Posts

MS made the Xbox....it did well enough for them to continue with the 360 which did okay and so they continue with the One. But MS really never dominated the market at any time with their prior two consoles. Will this one be their last? Who is to say. Certainly hard core MS fanboys will pick it up no matter what negatives others perceive. Will enough do that to make it worth the while for MS? MS really only sells in NA with any strength....according to the numbers I've seen. They do okay in Europe. But again....they have never dominated a generation like Nintendo and Sony have.

Competition drove Sega out of the hardware business....and many other companies lasted a generation or two at most.

Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Bread_or_Decide
Member since 2007 • 29761 Posts

Yes. Something about doing well makes these companies turn into complete morons.

PS3...hey lets charge $600.

N64...hey lets keep using cartridges.

XB1...Hey lets make kinect a requirement...and other nonsense.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#46 Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19516 Posts

Possibly...

Atari - 2600 -> 5200 -> 7800

Nintendo - NES -> SNES -> N64

Sega - SMS -> MD/Genesis -> Saturn

Sony - PS1 -> PS2 -> PS3

Microsoft - Xbox -> 360 -> X1?

Nintendo and Sony did manage to recover from the 3rd console curse though, so there's still hope for Microsoft.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#47  Edited By deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

We'll find out soon

X_CAPCOM_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#48  Edited By X_CAPCOM_X
Member since 2004 • 9552 Posts

@RossRichard said:

It will get worse in the long run...

NFJSupreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 NFJSupreme
Member since 2005 • 6605 Posts

Wishful thinking from cows. The console isn't even out yet and a lot of people are going to buy it judging by game pre-orders. Pointless thread.

gameofthering

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#50 gameofthering
Member since 2004 • 11286 Posts

@RR360DD said:

What do you mean 'did'.

I think they mean 3rd console curse in that a companies 3rd console doesn't do as great as their previous.