Did Infamous SS Sustain the Franchise or Fatigue it?

• 76 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 22651 Posts

Just wrapped up our weekly Pedal to the Metal podcast (of which you are all invited to be on, just let me know) and I brought up the question, did Infamous Second Son do justice in preserving the franchise to have you hyped for another installment? or was it simply just another good infamous game, having not hit a high enough note to keep you interested in more...?

topgunmv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By topgunmv
Member since 2003 • 10880 Posts

I wouldn't say it left me "hyped", but I wouldn't be adverse to another installment either.

It's a nice looking game and I enjoyed the core game play loop, they just need to work on the side mission stuff more.

blamix99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#3  Edited By blamix99
Member since 2011 • 2685 Posts

just another good imfamous game for me,

8/10

jake44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 jake44
Member since 2003 • 2085 Posts

@TheEroica said:

simply just another good infamous game, having not hit a high enough note to keep you interested in more

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts

It certainly made me excited for Sucker Punch's technical abilities. The game itself is super fun at its core, just way too much basic mission design and fluff around it.

Props to their better development of characters this time around.

PS4hasNOgames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#6 PS4hasNOgames
Member since 2014 • 2620 Posts

The only recent game I can think of that catapulted the franchise is Far Cry 3.

navyguy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#7 navyguy21
Member since 2003 • 17422 Posts

Got pretty boring after about the 4th or 5th hidden area take over.

The first was definitely the best in the series. They need to work on making more diverse and creative side quests.

Second Son definitely felt like a rushed game. I did like how the shards were shown on the map though.

Avatar image for deactivated-57de35bf0f08e
deactivated-57de35bf0f08e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 deactivated-57de35bf0f08e
Member since 2014 • 386 Posts

It was good. It was also too similar to Infamous 2.

AdobeArtist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By AdobeArtist  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 25184 Posts

I still need to play it.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44552 Posts

I doubt it's too early for franchise fatigue, the latest installment seemed more a testament to the PS4's performance than it was to the series itself, and was a worthwhile early gen title but nothing more than that. Games released early typically are forgotten in later years. If they want to make a worthy effort with the series it'll happen later in the gen, when install base is higher and developers are more familiar with the tech to truly bring a great experience.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f19d4c9d7318
deactivated-5f19d4c9d7318

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By deactivated-5f19d4c9d7318
Member since 2008 • 4166 Posts

@Slashkice said:

I'd say it refreshed the franchise if anything. SP was smart in switching to a new character with a new powerset. I know I would've been bored playing as Cole yet again. From a gameplay perspective, it's the best in the series too. The game's main flaws were the inconsistent story beats, the lack of interesting side content in the city, and Eugene, because **** Eugene. All of which are easy enough to fix, considering the actual combat in the game is fun as hell.

Yeh i felt most of the side characters were a waste of space and Eugene the most so. They should have stuck to Delsin and Fetch more imo but i suppose that's tougher to make a game out of.

I'm happy they shed Cole and especially Zeke who was flat out annoying. Another game would certainly interest me.

handssss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 handssss
Member since 2013 • 1907 Posts

it was good, but 2 things kept it from being great.

1. it was too short (at least for the price)

2. it lacked variety both infamous 1 and 2 had.

Infamous 1 had you fighting 3 very different factions of bad guys with different powers. Even 2 had generic bad guys + monsters + ice dudes. This game was just concrete guys with guns. We barely had any real time with any of the sidekicks in this game either. You spend 1-2 missions (over in 10 minutes total) figuring out who they are, 1 to fight them and take their powers, and then only ONE mission with them afterwards. (well technically more, but only 1 mission to focus on them and your karma choice for them.

Basinboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#14 Basinboy
Member since 2003 • 14495 Posts

If anything, inFamous: SS validates the proof of concept. There is a really great game waiting to happen in that franchise - or at least with the premise they tout. But the game still falters with the simple things - narrative and AI, most notably. It warrants a monetary investment to make bigger and better, IMO, but they should look to expand the franchise's scope.

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 clyde46
Member since 2005 • 49061 Posts

Technically its amazing, however the story was god awful.

Nengo_Flow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Nengo_Flow
Member since 2011 • 10644 Posts

it just sustain the decently good franchise it is. Which to me is a bad thing.

All the Infamous games are all solid 8/10s, but why do i wanna keep playing a series that doesnt improve or does anything out of the ordinary?

It didnt fatigue it, but if the next Infamous game is just more of the same another 8/10, then they should seriously consider pulling the plug.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By TheEroica  Moderator

@Slashkice: so you'd gamble on another infamous instead of say, a new sucker punch ip if given the choice?

The game is certainly entertaining. The city traversal out-shining the actual combat in terms of gameplay, but it never really ascends to anything overly inspiring that makes me sit back and feel need for more of it. In the end, it feels like a pretty lucid open world with little to sway from the story for more than a few minutes. I suppose if they were to develop the weaker parts of the franchise (some you mentioned) I'd be on board for more, but as it stands I'm cool with a new ip.

Ross_the_Boss6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Ross_the_Boss6
Member since 2009 • 4056 Posts

I didn't even like the first inFamous. Gameplay was only decent and the characters/story were awful. I literally hated everybody in that game. Unless the franchise got radically better with the second game, I don't see the appeal really. There's better games like it.

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Ballroompirate
Member since 2005 • 26695 Posts

I liked it a lot better than the previous infamous games, in fact I thought the first two were pretty meh.

finalstar2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#22 finalstar2007
Member since 2008 • 27952 Posts

I just beat Infamous: First Light earlier today and yeah i seem to get more and more addictive to the franchise after every game i play.. Infamous: SS not only improved a lot of things from infamous 2 ( which is by far the best infamous game last gen ) but it also had some amazing powers and an interesting story.

Im also loving that hat that came with the LE lol

Malta_1980

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Malta_1980
Member since 2008 • 11890 Posts

It is a good game... I think SP have a few areas they should improve with the next installment in the series but they're on the right track :)

Sollet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#24 Sollet
Member since 2003 • 8282 Posts

I liked it, yeah sure it was a little more of the same however the gameplay was good enough and the characters was way more likeable than the previous installments. I think 8/10 is a fitting score.

RR360DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 RR360DD
Member since 2011 • 14099 Posts

@Basinboy said:

If anything, inFamous: SS validates the proof of concept. There is a really great game waiting to happen in that franchise - or at least with the premise they tout. But the game still falters with the simple things - narrative and AI, most notably. It warrants a monetary investment to make bigger and better, IMO, but they should look to expand the franchise's scope.

"There is a really great game waiting to happen in that franchise"

Yeah after 3 average games, I can't see them ever making anything "great". Its not like they haven't had enough chances.

CDWJUSTIN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#26 CDWJUSTIN
Member since 2003 • 2078 Posts

Loved it

dommeus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By dommeus
Member since 2004 • 9433 Posts

@TheEroica:

Played and watched a bit on my brother's PS4, but the trailers had already given me the distinct impression that the main character was an irritating, wise-cracking tool box.

I find it very hard to play as characters that I am not invested in, especially when they talk a LOT.

Gameplay was solid, but I felt weaker than in the other two games. Considering it's supposed to be a superhero game, it was way too easy to die (which led to running in, hitting some dudes, and then running away to regen health - hardly the best way to make a player feel powerful).

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

Who cares... I just want Prototype back... :( Prototype had Covert Options.

DEadliNE-Zero0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By DEadliNE-Zero0
Member since 2014 • 6607 Posts

I haven't played it yet, but i hosnetly don't really want to.

inFAMOUS was one fo my favourite PS3 series. What i loved about it was the novelty of a super hero game that wasn't license based. Also, it was in the name.

Cole was a bland character, but, it was the sacrifice that needed to be made to allow the binary moral choice of being a villan or hero. Being in the middle was horrible, but, it was this split choice that made the game interesting, as your powers would change depending on which road you took. Ense teh name "in (FAMOUS)". The destroyed city and the gloomy landscape added a nice touch to the atmosphere.

Now, it seems all of that's gone from the plays i've seen and reviews i've read.

The good/evil part has been downplayed to special move sets and finishers (fully gone in First Light) so has to allow 4 new "elements" that don't seem to chang all that much and that, IMHO, could have been fitted into the binary system. Also, allowing a new character with more personallity, but the basis of what made the game awesome just seems to be gone.

Oh, and fucking over the cannon to keep rehashing the series is bullshit.

j_assassin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 j_assassin
Member since 2012 • 1011 Posts

Really enjoyed second son, but a next infamous with the same gameplay would over fatigue it, controls and powers are fine but the whole killing all enemy to clear a map is gonna get old

PAL360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#31  Edited By PAL360
Member since 2007 • 30570 Posts

It was an ok game and an awesome tech demo. The next game will be better for sure.

Avatar image for ShepardCommandr
ShepardCommandr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 ShepardCommandr
Member since 2013 • 4939 Posts

It killed the franchise for me.

Most boring and repetitive game i've ever played.

double_a73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 double_a73
Member since 2008 • 510 Posts

@TheGuardian03 said:

The side missions stopped being fun because they're all the same. Here paint this wall. Go find the agent.

The previous games had more fun side missions that also got repetetive but i had more fun with them.

Gameplay is best in the series.

The story was the weakest in the series.

Lack of enemy types.

The game felt like it focused too much on visuals.

Why repeat the side stuff in every area? That's just bad game design

Its a good game with no replay value.

Wow that is about as accurate of a description as is possible. Well done my friend.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts

I haven't played Second Son but Infamous 2 was garbage and SS didn't look like that much of an upgrade.

Avatar image for deactivated-583e460ca986b
deactivated-583e460ca986b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 deactivated-583e460ca986b
Member since 2004 • 7240 Posts

The game seems like it would be very easy to platinum. The problem is the game has NO replay value. I started a new game months ago so I could get the rest of the trophies but haven't touched it since. The wow factor from the visuals wears off eventually and then the repetitiveness of the gameplay takes over. And the story was terrible. Troy Baker deserves better.

zassimick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 142

User Lists: 2

#36 zassimick  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 10470 Posts

Haven't picked the game up yet. I didn't really find the previous games to be all that great, and sadly the problems stem further than being fixed by a fresh coat of paint. I'll for sure pick it up sometime in the future but still not in a real rush to nab it.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 TheEroica  Moderator

Reading alot of responses it would seem that second son fatigued the franchise more so than augmented it.

It was a solid B- to me.

Basinboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Basinboy

@RR360DD said:

@Basinboy said:

Yeah after 3 average games, I can't see them ever making anything "great". Its not like they haven't had enough chances.

RE4 was preceded by how many RE games?

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By tormentos
Member since 2003 • 33784 Posts

@TheEroica said:

Just wrapped up our weekly Pedal to the Metal podcast (of which you are all invited to be on, just let me know) and I brought up the question, did Infamous Second Son do justice in preserving the franchise to have you hyped for another installment? or was it simply just another good infamous game, having not hit a high enough note to keep you interested in more...?

Lets see it is the 3rd chapter and score 80 the other scored 80 something,so i would say no.

For the next pedal to the metal make one about Forza...

jsmoke03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 jsmoke03
Member since 2004 • 13717 Posts

i think infamous ss left a good impression about the franchise because this new gen doesnt have as many games to highlight so it had a lot of attention. I think it held up well and i know a lot of people were introduced to the franchise.

I think if they improved the game (i thought the game length was too short) i think this could end up being a tier 1 franchise like god of war/ uncharted/ gran turismo

Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Bread_or_Decide
Member since 2007 • 29761 Posts

Fatigue it.

Come on...shake up the gameplay.

RR360DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 RR360DD

@Basinboy said:

@RR360DD said:

@Basinboy said:

Bad example considering how great RE1 and 2 was. Heck even Code Veronica. All stellar games.

So how this relates to Infamous I don't know...

7MDMA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 7MDMA
Member since 2014 • 315 Posts

Infamous is a pretty worthless series and SS is more of the same. When first party exclusives are so mediocre you have to question their purpose. Games like that aren't selling systems nor are they bringing anything worthwhile to users of those systems. Honestly if Infamous went multi-plat I'm not sure anyone on X-Box or PC would give a ****.

clone01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 clone01
Member since 2003 • 29824 Posts

I have yet to play it. I was a big fan of Cole, so its going to be hard for me to get used to a new protagonist.

R3FURBISHED

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#45 R3FURBISHED
Member since 2008 • 12408 Posts

As a lot of others have said, it's a good game, well made, just quite basic and kind of bland.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#46 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

I really didn't like inFamous 2, but the new game seems to be more interesting. I wouldn't mind a new one tbh

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#47  Edited By jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

It's the same above average action game it's always been, and Suckerpunch is barely above being mediocre. The new character and mechanics could make for an impressive game, but Suckerpunch consistently under delivers in terms of encounter design, pacing, and level design top to bottom. They make bland action games that become rote and tiring way before the half way mark as they have no real sense of variety, and that's been the issue since day fucking one.

I'd be interested in playing an inFamous game where Sucker Punch handles the game mechanics, but any other studio handles everything else. Oh and the morality system is still fucking hot garbage.

Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#48  Edited By Gue1
Member since 2004 • 12171 Posts

I enjoyed the first game but never felt the urge to play more of the series. Too much shooting, extremely simplistic close combat mechanic, virtually empty world with hardly anything to do beside similarly structured missions and repetitive as ****. Not a fan of where the story was going either. 6/10

RR360DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By RR360DD
@jg4xchamp said:

It's the same above average action game it's always been, and Suckerpunch is barely above being mediocre. The new character and mechanics could make for an impressive game, but Suckerpunch consistently under delivers in terms of encounter design, pacing, and level design top to bottom. They make bland action games that become rote and tiring way before the half way mark as they have no real sense of variety, and that's been the issue since day fucking one.

I'd be interested in playing an inFamous game where Sucker Punch handles the game mechanics, but any other studio handles everything else. Oh and the morality system is still fucking hot garbage.

Basinboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Basinboy

@RR360DD said:

@Basinboy said:

@RR360DD said:

@Basinboy said:

Bad example considering how great RE1 and 2 was. Heck even Code Veronica. All stellar games.

So how this relates to Infamous I don't know...

Perhaps not seamlessly analogous, yet still indicates that the best does not necessarily precede later iterations.