Did Black Mesa highlight how bad FPS have become?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Posted by uninspiredcup (20154 posts) 2 years, 11 months ago

Poll: Did Black Mesa highlight how bad FPS have become? (15 votes)

100% yes, obv 47%
Possibly not 53%

My friends. Black Mesa isn't finished, however, it is mostly done and released. This is, regardless of graphics and physics advancements almost the exact same game as Halflife released in 1998.

Does the fact this game feels fresh creative, incredibly well paced and easily the best first person shooter of recent times highlight how backwards the genre has become? Games like Call Of Duty and Killzone feel outdated compared to it. A remake of a 1998 game. This isn't right, is it? Somethings wrong here.

#1 Edited by R4gn4r0k (23704 posts) -

I love playing all kinds of FPS: Killzone, Resistance, Halo, Metro, Shadow Warrior, Black Mesa, Bioshock, Battlefield or Rising Storm.

COD hasn't changed for the better in the past ten years, but it's selling huge numbers still. And there is utter crap like Moh: Warfighter that tries to clone success and fails hard.

But I still love the genre like I did in 98, still many FPS coming out that I look forward to. Like the upcoming Wolfenstein looks fun as hell and I can't wait for Black Mesa to be finished and perhaps Half Life 3 ...

#2 Edited by SAGE_OF_FIRE (15590 posts) -

Most shooters released now are garbage.

#3 Edited by Masculus (2878 posts) -

I've been playing Brutal Doom. Yeah, it takes a big dump on everything made these days.

#4 Posted by Jankarcop (11056 posts) -

yes, console fps are just shit.

#5 Posted by Oemenia (10307 posts) -

Older FPSs have less fun and more wandering around. They can be enjoyable but shooters are simply better today.

#6 Posted by uninspiredcup (20154 posts) -

@Oemenia said:

Older FPSs have less fun and more wandering around. They can be enjoyable but shooters are simply better today.

But Halflife's better.

Avatar image for princessgomez92
#7 Edited by PrincessGomez92 (4544 posts) -

FPSs are still great. Better than the old ones.

#8 Posted by PinkieWinkie (1454 posts) -

@uninspiredcup: I lol at your responses

#9 Posted by Cyberdot (3928 posts) -

Comparing a PC shooter with console shooters is out of the league.

Console shooters are garbage.

#10 Posted by -RPGamer- (34283 posts) -

I liked old FPS back in the day, but when Halo made regen health popular I never looked back, or when I did I wished I had not.

Avatar image for princeofshapeir
#11 Posted by princeofshapeir (16010 posts) -

I'd rather play Black Mesa than any of the single player FPS games released this year.

#12 Posted by Muffin2020 (534 posts) -

@Cyberdot said:

There is no such thing as a console shooter or a PC shooter anymore. All modern shooters released on everything that runs them.

What you should have said is Modern shooters are rubbish.

#13 Posted by Cyberdot (3928 posts) -

@muffin2020 said:

@Cyberdot said:

There is no such thing as a console shooter or a PC shooter anymore. All modern shooters released on everything that runs them.

Also true.

Old school shooters are awesome.

#14 Posted by PrincessGomez92 (4544 posts) -

@muffin2020 said:

@Cyberdot said:

Rubbish much like his posts.

#15 Posted by Cyberdot (3928 posts) -

@princessgomez92 said:

@muffin2020 said:

@Cyberdot said:

Says the guy who took a photo of himself with a tablet.

Lulz.

#16 Edited by PrincessGomez92 (4544 posts) -

@Cyberdot said:

@princessgomez92 said:

@muffin2020 said:

@Cyberdot said:

Says the guy who took a photo of himself with a tablet.

Lulz.

K. Lol Willz.

#17 Posted by deleteduser198 (25 posts) -

Check out the latest Metroid Prime. There are still creative and unique FPS's that come out amidst the usual "realistic shooter"

#18 Edited by trugs26 (7209 posts) -

I played Half-Life the original version for the first time in my life this year (I have not played a single game in the franchise).

It was an amazing experience and it really had that old school feel to it. Furthermore, it really did highlight how crap and cinematic games have become nowadays, which seems to appeal to "mainstream" or "casual" gamers more so.

Half-Life created a believable world which was immersive, and pulled it altogether with solid gameplay.

I played Half-Life 2, Ep. 1, Ep. 2 just last week. Finished them all. They follow in the same footsteps as Half-Life in terms of how it plays - which is a good thing. Half-Life 1 is a superior game overall, but all of these games are amazing (maybe Ep 1 I wouldn't call amazing, maybe just "Great").

I feel I should let people know of my experience, because I am without nostalgic bias, given that I had not played the series when it came out. And yet, it still holds up as an awesome game.

#19 Posted by blangenakker (3126 posts) -

Old school shooters have this thing called "level design"

#20 Edited by Cobra_nVidia (2935 posts) -

Half-Life is one of those games who's appeal I don't understand. I did like the second one a lot better though.

For "Old-School", I play Unreal Tournament and Doom. Saint's Row 3 and 4 are also pretty good too. Most shooters don't use alien abduction as a weapon.