DICE reveals why bf3+bf4 are so shit, brilliant insight

• 69 results
#51 Posted by lundy86_4 (44117 posts) -

@Animal-Mother said:

BC2 is one of the best multiplater games of last generation. I'm not one to make claims but i'd say it's as close to perfect with a battlefield game we'll ever get.

+ 1 billion.

#52 Posted by PyratRum (557 posts) -

@bbkkristian said:

While we're praising Battlefield Bad Company's multiplayer, can we also praise it's much more enjoyable single player campaign?

BC2 had a pretty lame campaign. It's a shame because BC1's campaign took on the BF "formula" with wide open levels with multiple approaches and plenty of vehicles to play around with. That and it was pretty hilarious to boot, something BC2 also sorely lacked.

#53 Posted by CrownKingArthur (5262 posts) -

hahaha

mate, i laughed my way though your whole OP - good stuff.

yeah i found bfbc2's multiplayer absolutely brilliant. i was a nutter with the UAV. used to love getting in position by a window ... then opening up the chain gun through that aforementioned window.

even just spotting people was very helpful. i liked the gadgets which really helped the team. i played so much of bfbc2 with my Mrs as well.

but yeah, pretty funny that they aren't exactly certain of the appeal of one of their own games.

#54 Edited by parkurtommo (27627 posts) -

@ghostwarrior786 said:

here let me help u out

great map design - so many classic maps like arica harbour, valpariso, white pass, nelson bay, oasis, harvest day, heavy metal etc. perfect size, not too big not too small

better controls - the game feels more arcadey + no prone. bf3/bf4 just feel so sluggish and slow in comparison

better destruction - whole buildings can be collapsed, no place to hide. instead of expanding on this premise what did dice do? created big ass sky scrappers with destructible walls. well fukin done dice

better class/guns balance

more health encouraged greater movement because u dont die instantly if u get shot

i could go on and on, bad company 2 i salute u

ps. if anyone hasnt played bc2 multiplayer i sugggest u buy it during steam sales, pc community is still very active

You're actually not being very helpful at all with those vague ass suggestions. You yourself cannot pinpoint what DICE should take from BC2 to make a third iteration.

#55 Posted by parkurtommo (27627 posts) -

BC2 was the most fun I had ever had in multiplayer, I have yet to come across anything similar. That said I skipped BF3 and 4... Somehow I could sense the mediocrity coming lol.

#56 Posted by LegatoSkyheart (26193 posts) -

Well first off, if you're going to make us fight in a Big City, at least gives us the opportunity to level it to the ground too.

#57 Edited by UnbiasedPoster (1132 posts) -

Whole series sucks. No developer will ever be able to balance everything going on in game's with that kind of scale.

#58 Posted by robokill (1064 posts) -

What made bad company 2 so good was that it encouraged team play while BF3 and BF4 are glitchy clusterfucks where nobody works together and the map design was brilliant.

#60 Edited by ninjaxams (7168 posts) -

they seriously can't figure it out? bfbc1 and 2 were just brilliant games. not to mention haggard, sarge, sweets, and marlow were absolutely hilarious in the sp.

#61 Posted by WilliamRLBaker (28474 posts) -

bad company was shitty compared to actual battlefield.

#62 Edited by FoxbatAlpha (8789 posts) -

Yeah Bad Co. 2 was pretty epic. They are overdue for another.

#63 Posted by ghostwarrior786 (5811 posts) -

@parkurtommo said:

@ghostwarrior786 said:

here let me help u out

great map design - so many classic maps like arica harbour, valpariso, white pass, nelson bay, oasis, harvest day, heavy metal etc. perfect size, not too big not too small

better controls - the game feels more arcadey + no prone. bf3/bf4 just feel so sluggish and slow in comparison

better destruction - whole buildings can be collapsed, no place to hide. instead of expanding on this premise what did dice do? created big ass sky scrappers with destructible walls. well fukin done dice

better class/guns balance

more health encouraged greater movement because u dont die instantly if u get shot

i could go on and on, bad company 2 i salute u

ps. if anyone hasnt played bc2 multiplayer i sugggest u buy it during steam sales, pc community is still very active

You're actually not being very helpful at all with those vague ass suggestions. You yourself cannot pinpoint what DICE should take from BC2 to make a third iteration.

i can pinpoint things but i cant be bothered to because dice wont read it anyway but i wanted to give some examples so people who havnt played the game know what im talking about. here is a post from redit that pretty much sums up my feelings, while he didnt mention everything most things are covered.

''So Bad Company 2 was my favorite multiplayer game of all time. It's really disconcerting that DICE doesn't seem to understand what gave BC2 its magic and why so many fans of BC1/BC2 have been disappointed by the direction of the series since. Sure everyone has their own points and opinions but there's definitely a ton of consensus among my friends who have played for hundreds and thousands of hours as to what made it great. A lot of this is going to be through the lens of where I feel like the series has gone wrong since, but I'll try to focus on the beauty of BC2 without getting too negative:

• Rush - almost all of the maps were built with Rush in mind first. It's an amazing game mode that at its best that creates this amazing sense of push, pull and momentum between the attackers and defenders. When the maps are built for it and you have competent map designers. In BF3/4 many of the of the maps were made for conquest and then had Rush mashed in as an afterthought by designers that obviously didn't have a proper grasp on how Rush flows as a game mode. In BC2, if a map didn't work for a certain game mode, they just didn't include it. And player counts ranged from 24 on console to 32 on PC. So the designers were able to create a focused experience across platforms. In BF3/4 they decided to try and make every map play on every mode at every player count. Which made for a horrible experience on certain maps at the wrong mode/player count. There's no focused consistency of experience.

• functional destruction that directly effected gameplay and made maps play out differently every time. BF3+4 maps feature a lot more visually pleasing eye candy destruction, and "Levolution" events that play out the same every time. And many of the maps feature non destructible choke points that create repetition of experience. In BC2 you could visually trust what was destructible and what wasn't, and because the maps were so destructible in a way that focused on gameplay, no two matches ever played out quite the same.

• higher health/time to kill with weapons - Made for more insane rambo moments running across a field taking damage to just barely pull off this crazy maneuver. Higher gun skill level due to accuracy and focus on head shots. The higher damage model in BF3/4 promotes more cautious, slower gameplay and more emphasis on positioning and firing first over gun skill or whatever you want to call it. Which all makes for less "holy fuck how did I pull that off moments".

• Movement - I felt much more in control of my character in BC2 than BF3/4. Being able to jump high and precisely control movement in the air vs. getting locked into an uncontrollable vaulting motion or knifing animation. Parachutes that opened quickly and provided precise control, opening up vertical, arcade like gameplay. Lack of prone promoting faster paced gameplay. A real sense of weight to movement and action vs this floaty, sliding feeling I can't shake in BF3/4.

• sound design - to this day the best I've heard in any game I've ever played. Perfect surround sound that heavily enhanced the gameplay while making you feel like you were in the middle of an action movie. They got all the details right without any of the annoying little bugs that messed up my immersion in BF3/4.

• probably a whole number of other things I'll kick myself for forgetting, but it's too late and I need to sleep.

Basically, Bad Company 2 is so loved because it is a shooter with a more fun loving, arcade feel than the main series, that is focused around Rush and functional destruction, while providing an experience that has a lot of variety without the feature bloat that has been creeping into the BF series in every iteration since. It knows what it is, focuses on that experience, and does an excellent job of executing. Fingers crossed whenever BC3 comes along they can remember what made that magic happen...''