Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 imt558
Member since 2004 • 976 Posts

Well :

http://gamingbolt.com/dice-dev-xbox-one-isnt-as-powerful-as-ps4-dx12-wont-help-reduce-difference-talks-development

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50549 Posts

Not really surprising to most...

FoxbatAlpha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 FoxbatAlpha
Member since 2009 • 10669 Posts

I'll wait for the DX9 (PS4) and DX12 (Xbox) comparisons.

1080pOnly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 1080pOnly
Member since 2009 • 2216 Posts

Last gen Sony fans: Raw power isn't everything! Framerate and resolution are not important!

This gen Sony fans: Power is everything! Framerate and resolution are important!

...and the world wonders how corporations get rich selling shit to idiots.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Chutebox

@1080pOnly said:

Last gen Sony fans: Raw power isn't everything! Framerate and resolution are not important!

This gen Sony fans: Power is everything! Framerate and resolution are important!

And lems were the ones talking about framerate and resolution last gen. Thanks for the breaking news.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#6  Edited By Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

Stating the obvious.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

Duh

skektek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#8 skektek
Member since 2004 • 6530 Posts

This isn't new news, more of an affirmation, we already knew this.

DirectX (or OpenGL for that matter) is an intermediary, there is always an inherent parasitic loss. You don't ever gain anything, you just hope to lose as little as possible.

1080pOnly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 1080pOnly
Member since 2009 • 2216 Posts

@Chutebox said:
@1080pOnly said:

And lems were the ones talking about framerate and resolution last gen. Thanks for the breaking news.

Never said the hypocrisy wasn't coming from both sides, I just remember more of it from the cows. Remember the endless hate threads towards lems about paying for online? Remember Sony announcing pay for online and all of the cows saying 'Yeah, it's cool that money can make the online better' and 'I don't mind paying cause of the value'. Bwahahaha.

Desmonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Desmonic  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 19990 Posts

@Wasdie said:

Stating the obvious.

@Chutebox said:

Not really surprising to most...

@lostrib said:

Duh

Basically, this. There will continue to be users spreading "DX12!!!! LMAO!!" and "Wait until the Cloud!!" though. Then again that's what keeps SW entertaining :P

StormyJoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 StormyJoe
Member since 2011 • 7806 Posts

@imt558 said:

Well :

http://gamingbolt.com/dice-dev-xbox-one-isnt-as-powerful-as-ps4-dx12-wont-help-reduce-difference-talks-development

He did not say it won't reduce the difference, he said that DX12 won't make them equal. I don't think too many people are saying "DX12 will make the XBox One equal to the PS4".

misterpmedia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#12 misterpmedia
Member since 2013 • 6209 Posts

inb4 the hopefuls join this thread. Actually, banking on it! As it it will make it interesting. Last major DX12 thread was Kuu2's decimating thread backfire.

imt558

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By imt558

@StormyJoe said:
@imt558 said:

Well :

He did not say it won't reduce the difference, he said that DX12 won't make them equal. I don't think too many people are saying "DX12 will make the XBox One equal to the PS4".

Oh. you again! With that .net experience!

Also DX12 won't reduce difference. You want to go in another DX 12 discussion?

Spitfire-Six

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Spitfire-Six
Member since 2014 • 1378 Posts

Game Play Designer != Graphics Programmer.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a30e101a977c
deactivated-5a30e101a977c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#15 deactivated-5a30e101a977c
Member since 2006 • 5970 Posts

Cool the opinion of one developer on twitter, cows and their sources...

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Chutebox
@StormyJoe said:
@imt558 said:

Well :

"As I meant to say: Xbone will always be behind the PS4 this generation because it isn’t as powerful."

When asked if DirectX 12 could even the odds for Microsoft, Kertz said, “I don’t think so, it’s not going to be able to reduce overhead enough to make up the margin.”

Title of the article is incorrect based on his comments. Although it is old news to most of us. These consoles are not that far apart and if DX12 doesn't make them equal, like most of us thought, it won't do much.

Spitfire-Six

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Spitfire-Six

@Chutebox said:
@StormyJoe said:
@imt558 said:

Well :

"As I meant to say: Xbone will always be behind the PS4 this generation because it isn’t as powerful."

When asked if DirectX 12 could even the odds for Microsoft, Kertz said, “I don’t think so, it’s not going to be able to reduce overhead enough to make up the margin.

Title of the article is incorrect based on his comments. Although it is old news to most of us. These consoles are not that far apart and if DX12 doesn't make them equal, like most of us thought, it won't do much.

This bold portion of his statement should have triggered red flags.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60710 Posts

Xbone will always be behind the PS4 this generation because it isn’t as powerful."

AzatiS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#19  Edited By AzatiS
Member since 2004 • 14969 Posts

@1080pOnly said:

If someone was getting slaps left and right about everything last generation was PS3 from both sheep and lems ... get your facts straight.

The differences between multis last generation were so minor compared to this gen but still Lems were so triumphers about ... But now it doesnt matter that differences are even bigger right ?

Hypocrisy to its finnest

StormyJoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 StormyJoe

@imt558 said:
@StormyJoe said:
@imt558 said:

Well :

Oh. you again! With that .net experience!

Also DX12 won't reduce difference. You want to go in another DX 12 discussion?

The article's title is not correct, because that is not what this guy said. He said it will not make the equal.

As for "another discussion", you don't know what you are talking about, so what is the point? Your not even a developer - in any field.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#21  Edited By Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts
@FoxbatAlpha said:

The PS4's API has the same feature set as DX11 and is lower level and handles multithreading like DX12. It is a modern rendering API that Sony keeps up to date.

Suppaman100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Suppaman100
Member since 2013 • 5250 Posts

Inb4 butthurt lemmings.

...too late

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

Loooooooooool. X1 got Xboned.

imt558

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By imt558

@StormyJoe said:

The article's title is not correct, because that is not what this guy said. He said it will not make the equal.

As for "another discussion", you don't know what you are talking about, so what is the point? Your not even a developer - in any field.

Like me, you also know shit about game development and API's for consoles, even if you have .net experience in office and you made some Galaga clone in Java. That one game in Java does't make you suddenly a developer who knows everything about console development and theirs API's. LOL!

Btw. like you said a few days ago, this post proves that you know shit about game development for consoles because you've read somewhere something.

@StormyJoe said:

According to what I have read, it's already rather optimized, where DX11.x (what launched with XB1) was a mess. I am sure it can improve, but I don't think there is that much room for improvement (from what I have read).

Correction: I meant "could improve as well" in my previous post. It's entirely possible that the PS4's API set is better than DX12 (for the PS4).

As i said also a few days ago, try to register on GAF. You will find there developers who works on some games for Xbone and PS4 and sell to them your .net experience and Galaga clone in Java.

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#25 Zero_epyon
Member since 2004 • 20103 Posts

@misterpmedia said:

inb4 the hopefuls join this thread. Actually, banking on it! As it it will make it interesting. Last major DX12 thread was Kuu2's decimating thread backfire.

Too late!

mjorh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#26 mjorh
Member since 2011 • 6749 Posts

Lems & Cows discussing "power" ! *grabs the popcorn*

darkangel115

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By darkangel115
Member since 2013 • 4562 Posts

@Chutebox said:
@1080pOnly said:

fanboys will be fanboys

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Chutebox

@darkangel115 said:
@Chutebox said:
@1080pOnly said:

fanboys will be fanboys

Exactamundo

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Zero_epyon

Anyway. I've been saying this for the longest. So has other developers that actually develop for both consoles.

Flyincloud1116

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#30 Flyincloud1116
Member since 2014 • 6418 Posts

@1080pOnly said:

My fanboy senses are tingling. PS3 fans never said that. They said third party didn't have to time and/or resources to exploit the the Cell. They blagged that Sony's first party games had the best visual of last generation.

This is System Wars and not Lying Wars or Make Believe Wars.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 225

#31 BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17801 Posts

As soon as the specs were revealed, everybody knew the PS4 was more powerful and that both consoles would be shit.

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Zero_epyon

The comment section on that article is pretty entertaining. Instead of being concerned about DX12, they're butthurt because someone caled the Xbox One "Xbone."

scatteh316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 scatteh316
Member since 2004 • 10273 Posts

We've known all along DX12 wouldn't do anything.... Well everyone except for dumbass's!

StormyJoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 StormyJoe

@imt558 said:
@StormyJoe said:

Like me, you also know shit about game development and API's for consoles, even if you have .net experience in office and you made some Galaga clone in Java. That one game in Java does't make you suddenly a developer who knows everything about console development and theirs API's. LOL!

Btw. like you said a few days ago, this post proves that you know shit about game development for consoles because you've read somewhere something.

@StormyJoe said:

According to what I have read, it's already rather optimized, where DX11.x (what launched with XB1) was a mess. I am sure it can improve, but I don't think there is that much room for improvement (from what I have read).

Correction: I meant "could improve as well" in my previous post. It's entirely possible that the PS4's API set is better than DX12 (for the PS4).

As i said also a few days ago, try to register on GAF. You will find there developers who works on some games for Xbone and PS4 and sell to them your .net experience and Galaga clone in Java.

I know about software development. Do you even know what and API is?

scatteh316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By scatteh316

@StormyJoe: Have you personally used PS4 and Xbone's API? And coded for them both?

Spitfire-Six

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Spitfire-Six

@scatteh316 said:

@StormyJoe: Have you personally used PS4 and Xbone's API? And coded for them both?

that is inconsequential to actually being able to develop for both systems. Graphics programming is a specialty, but you generally learn the API as your developing the product you are working on. If competent you can read the API or Spec for a system and determine how it works. This is the day to day of a developer, some shit you have to do, something you have to learn to do it, build prototype, build product.

Also let me reiterate, this is a game play designer talking in this article, you can tell he does not know because his understanding of the api extends only to reduced overhead.

scatteh316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 scatteh316

@spitfire-six said:
@scatteh316 said:

that is inconsequential to actually being able to develop for both systems. Graphics programming is a specialty, but you generally learn the API as your developing the product you are working on. If competent you can read the API or Spec for a system and determine how it works. This is the day to day of a developer, some shit you have to do, something you have to learn to do it, build prototype, build product.

StormyJoe said that without even using his key board!!

StormyJoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 StormyJoe

@scatteh316 said:

No - but I know perfectly well that an optimized API will improve application performance. An API is essentially as set of external classes that have been pre-compiled. Saying that optimization of them will not improve performance is like saying "There is no such thing as software optimization."

The latest version of Telerik's OLAP controls are twice as fast as the previous version. We plugged those in to our client dashboard application and lo and behold - our clients were able to run 7-10 historic analysis from the dashboard. Wow - was it magic, or improved APIs?

scatteh316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 scatteh316

@StormyJoe said:
@scatteh316 said:

No - but I know perfectly well that an optimized API will improve application performance. An API is essentially as set of external classes that have been pre-compiled. Saying that optimization of them will not improve performance is like saying "There is no such thing as software optimization."

The latest version of Telerik's OLAP controls are twice as fast as the previous version. We plugged those in to our client dashboard application and lo and behold - our clients were able to run 7-10 historic analysis from the dashboard. Wow - was it magic, or improved APIs?

So you may proceed to not talk about them then or act like you know about them.....

imt558

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By imt558

@StormyJoe said:

Beside full name ( Application Program Interface ), i also know that there are many different types of APIs for OS, apps or web. And because of many different types, there are also many definitions. Simple! But off course, i'm not a console developer and neither do you.

AM-Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 AM-Gamer
Member since 2012 • 8116 Posts

@1080pOnly: The difference was Sony started giving free games every Month before they charged for online. MS charged just for playing online. If you can't see the difference in value you are delusional.

StormyJoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 StormyJoe
@scatteh316 said:
@StormyJoe said:
@scatteh316 said:

So you may proceed to not talk about them then or act like you know about them.....

LOL! Coming from someone who doesn't know a thing about writing software. Keep your piehole shut, kid.

@imt558 said:
@StormyJoe said:

Beside full name, i also know that are many different types of APIs for OS, App's or web. And because of many different types, there are also many definitions. Simple! But off course, i'm not a console developer and neither do you.

An API is essentially as set of external classes that have been pre-compiled. Saying that optimization of them will not improve performance is like saying "There is no such thing as software optimization."

scatteh316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 scatteh316

@StormyJoe said:
@scatteh316 said:
@StormyJoe said:
@scatteh316 said:

LOL! Coming from someone who doesn't know a thing about writing software. Keep your piehole shut, kid.

Assumptions get you where, not only do you make assumptions about me, you also make assumptions about things to which you of had absolutely no exposure to on any level.

The 'kid' comment is also funny as it shows that by throwing an insult at me you're somehow trying to show you're superior when in reality you're the one who is acting like a 'kid'

But as I'm clearly the grown up and you've already admitted you've had no exposure to either console's API I'm going to continue to watch others mock you.

P.S. - Please don't use your Java software coding skills to hack my computer and steal my life.

Avatar image for StrongBlackVine
StrongBlackVine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 StrongBlackVine
Member since 2012 • 13262 Posts

@FoxbatAlpha said:

PS4 has a custom API. They are not using Microsoft's outdated code if that is what you trying to imply. Sony's Ice Team is no joke. Look it up.

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#45  Edited By GarGx1
Member since 2011 • 10934 Posts

DX12 will never make an Xbox One as, or even more, powerful as the PS4 that's completely impossible, software cannot make hardware stronger, but it may bring it closer to parity through more efficient use of the hardware. Sure PC stands to make by far the most gains but any console using a better API. will show improvements be that DX12 or Vulcan

The best example is right in front of your faces and many of you have been spouting it for years in the console fight verses PC. Does the term 'to the metal coding' mean anything? Well that's a more efficient API. in action, look at the difference between Halo 2 and Halo 4, that's all efficiencies in software as the hardware was completely static.

StormyJoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 StormyJoe

@scatteh316 said:
@StormyJoe said:
@scatteh316 said:
@StormyJoe said:
@scatteh316 said:

Assumptions get you where, not only do you make assumptions about me, you also make assumptions about things to which you of had absolutely no exposure to on any level.

The 'kid' comment is also funny as it shows that by throwing an insult at me you're somehow trying to show you're superior when in reality you're the one who is acting like a 'kid'

But as I'm clearly the grown up and you've already admitted you've had no exposure to either console's API I'm going to continue to watch others mock you.

P.S. - Please don't use your Java software coding skills to hack my computer and steal my life.

I don't have to have exposure to every API written in the world to understand the notion that improving an APIs performance will improve the application's (game's) performance. Saying the contrary is akin to saying "There is no such thing as software optimization." It's a fundamental principle of software development.

If you are insulted by me calling you a kid, sorry - I just assumed someone who could not grasp the concept of more efficient APIs mean faster applications would be juvenile.

BobRossPerm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 BobRossPerm
Member since 2015 • 2886 Posts
@Wasdie said:
@FoxbatAlpha said:

The PS4's API has the same feature set as DX11 and is lower level and handles multithreading like DX12. It is a modern rendering API that Sony keeps up to date.

Yeah think of it like Sega when they were touting blast processing, when it wasn't really a special feature at all, but simply a more powerful CPU. Although the PS4 API does have a DX11.2 equivelent wrapper with CPU overhead, it also has a absolute low level API that is basically everything DX12 is touted to be anyway. The hardware and GPU in the PS4 and Xbox One have basically identical feature sets, and no one is going to seriously suggest that Sony neglected to put in an API that could fully take advantage of that feature set, unless they are trolling or simply delusional.

What MS doesn't like to tell people is that DX12 is more to unify Xbox and PC for porting, not for gaining more power that doesn't exist. I don't doubt it will be an improvement over their existing API, but it's things like the extra core that will help it be more powerful than anything else. The Xbox One will be just one of many Windows 10 devices. Hopefully that means desktop quality apps.

A-new-Guardian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By A-new-Guardian
Member since 2015 • 2458 Posts

Even if Phil spencer himself said it, lems would still be in denial. However this is enjoyable to watch. Keep the meltdowns coming.

StormyJoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 StormyJoe

@GarGx1 said:

DX12 will never make an Xbox One as, or even more, powerful as the PS4 that's completely impossible, software cannot make hardware stronger, but it may bring it closer to parity through more efficient use of the hardware. Sure PC stands to make by far the most gains but any console using a better API. will show improvements be that DX12 or Vulcan

The best example is right in front of your faces and many of you have been spouting it for years in the console fight verses PC. Does the term 'to the metal coding' mean anything? Well that's a more efficient API. in action, look at the difference between Halo 2 and Halo 4, that's all efficiencies in software as the hardware was completely static.

That is my point exactly.

@scatteh316 and @imt558don't seem to have a problem with people saying "DX12 will improve PC performance", but mention XBox One and "OMG! That can't be true!!!"