DF: The technology of Killzone Shadow FaIl

This topic is locked from further discussion.

danabo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By danabo
Member since 2003 • 2438 Posts

Snippets:

The ray-traced reflection system

Shadow Fall's reflection system also contributes to the often spectacular lighting effects work. Michal Valient previously explained the basics in Guerrilla's post-mortem of the PlayStation Meeting demo, but was on-hand to go into more depth during our visit to the studio.

"What we do on-screen for every pixel we run a proper ray-tracing - or ray-marching - step. We find a reflection vector, we look at the surface roughness and if you have a very rough surface, that means that your reflection is very fuzzy in that case," he explains.

"So what we do is find a reflection for every pixel on screen, we find a reflection vector that goes into the screen and then basically start stepping every second pixel until we find something that's a hit. It's a 2.5D ray-trace... We can compute a rough approximation of where the vector would go and we can find pixels on-screen that represent that surface. This is all integrated into our lighting model."

"It's difficult to see where one system stops and another begins. We have pre-baked cube maps and we have real-time ray-traced reflections and then we have reflecting light sources and they all blend together in the same scene," adds Michiel van der Leeuw.

Global illumination, anti-aliasing and ambient occlusion

"So for example, you want to have extra [light] bounce on one room and you don't want it in another because of contrast and brightness, we have the possibility to bake these things as long as we are not using this type of system. Iteration may be faster but it costs more performance-wise, of course. The quality would probably drop - the benefit of pre-baking certain things is that if you don't need it for your gameplay element in this area and you need a static light that is not adjustable, it's much more efficient to bake this sort of thing because of performance or quality I guess."

Guerrilla Games, GPU compute - and the future of PlayStation 4

GPU compute - seen as the area where PS4 is best equipped to give long-term results - has also been explored by Guerrilla for its first game. In the PlayStation Meeting demo, only memory defragmentation was handled by compute. In the final game, colour corrections and "force-fields" are also handled by the graphics core. Force-fields are another example of a fairly unnoticeable system that helps make the game look more natural.

FULL ARTICLE HERE

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2  Edited By clyde46
Member since 2005 • 49061 Posts

Good read.

danabo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 danabo
Member since 2003 • 2438 Posts

@clyde46 said:

Good read.

I would give it 7/10

inggrish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#4 inggrish
Member since 2005 • 10502 Posts

Ooh. Cheers for posting. I will have a proper read of this later ; will be a good read.

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 clyde46
Member since 2005 • 49061 Posts

@danabo said:

@clyde46 said:

Good read.

I would give it 7/10

GG have always been very technical, shame their writing suffers for it.

Mr_Ditters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#6  Edited By Mr_Ditters
Member since 2008 • 1920 Posts

GG are masters at milking the potential out of hardware. Its unbelievable what they were able to do with 512 megs of ram and a weak video card last gen with Killzone 2. That being said I still stay KZ SF is an abomination--a good looking abomination. If only they could get some writers and some people to direct their amazing talent.

killzowned24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 killzowned24
Member since 2007 • 7345 Posts

GG is the best. Dat MADDER audio and TSSAA!

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

good engine, skilled devs with absolutely shitty story writers.

remiks00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#9  Edited By remiks00
Member since 2006 • 4249 Posts

"Lighting in our game consists of one key element which is basically the real-time dynamic lighting which is supported by pre-baked lighting for static and dynamic objects as well as a reflection system," says senior lighting artist, Julian Fries.

"We have pre-calculated reflections plus real-time reflections but it all starts with the dynamic lighting features we have for dynamic lights and the rest is basically supporting it."

"Real-time lighting is sampled and blended from a mammoth array of light probes dotted around the level -a small sampling of which you can see here.

Each pixel draws upon a blend of the light probes in order to produce the most realistic effect." It's the kind of workload that benefits immensely from running on a massively parallel processing system - something PS4 specializes in via GPU compute."

We've only touched the surface. We picked the force-fields, the colour correction system, memory defragmentation - that's what we use for the texture streaming.

Those are a couple of things we picked as isolated systems that really work well with compute, so we tried those. Most of our other stuff works with regular pixel shaders, even some post-processing effects, so we will be improving. "It's natural that we pick the post-processing effects and turn them into compute as that's much more efficient, so that's our next step -but we only had so much time for this game. I'm pretty sure we can improve a lot - there's a lot of room to explore."

These guys are pretty damn awesome. Seems like PS4 also has an evolved version of the CELL tech inside of the GPU (GPU compute).

@danabo I'm curious of why you highlighted some prebaked sentences. It's a bit misleading, made it seem like everything was prebaked.

Mr-Kutaragi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Mr-Kutaragi
Member since 2013 • 2466 Posts

No surprise why this game is console graphic king until infamous.

Avatar image for deactivated-59b71619573a1
deactivated-59b71619573a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By deactivated-59b71619573a1
Member since 2007 • 38222 Posts

GG are wizards with tech. They make some of the best visuals around. I really wish the rest of their games held up as good.

The reflections in the game coupled with light bouncing everywhere is stunning to look at

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60711 Posts

GG are technological wonders. The game is beyond stunning and massive. Looking forward to coop!

KillzoneSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#13  Edited By KillzoneSnake
Member since 2012 • 2761 Posts

@Mr-Kutaragi said:

No surprise why this game is console graphic king until infamous.

I don't think infamous can beat it.

hayato_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 hayato_
Member since 2007 • 5165 Posts

@clyde46 said:

@danabo said:

@clyde46 said:

Good read.

I would give it 7/10

GG have always been very technical, shame their writing suffers for it.

I didn't have a problem with the story. The sections they were presented at were terrible though. Thats where it suffered for me. I'd give it a 7.5.

Tessellation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Tessellation
Member since 2009 • 9297 Posts

Prebaked Zone.

murray69murray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#16  Edited By murray69murray
Member since 2013 • 127 Posts

@clyde46 said:

Good read.

Avatar image for ReadingRainbow4
ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#17 ReadingRainbow4
Member since 2012 • 18733 Posts

I love how I can tell what a danabo thread entails before even clicking on it.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By deactivated-59b71619573a1

@Tessellation said:

Prebaked Zone.

A LOT of games out there have pre-baked crap in them these days. Even BF4.

If you read the OP though you'd see they have a mix of dynamic AND pre-baked stuff in there

I_can_haz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 I_can_haz
Member since 2013 • 6511 Posts

A technical powerhouse and easily the best looking next gen console game. I'm enjoying the campaign and MP. This game and BF4 are a blast to play and they both look gorgeous on the PS4.

PSdual_wielder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 PSdual_wielder
Member since 2003 • 10646 Posts

Nice find TC. As the article shows, next gen is more about innovating on workflow when creating complex systems in games than just about high end graphics.

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#21 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

flopzone

gpuking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By gpuking
Member since 2004 • 3914 Posts

@seanmcloughlin said:

@Tessellation said:

Prebaked Zone.

If you read the OP though you'd see they have a mix of dynamic AND pre-baked stuff in there

What's funny is that BF4 on ultra doesn't even have screen space reflection of any sort, that's why it's looking very old school compared to KZSF.

MlauTheDaft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By MlauTheDaft
Member since 2011 • 5189 Posts

@seanmcloughlin said:

@Tessellation said:

Prebaked Zone.

Indeed, Prebaked is'nt necessarily inferior either.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17812 Posts

nice read.

the GPGPU stuff interests me the most this gen. some interesting ideas there from GG but, as they say, they were only playing around with it for this game (which is understandable of course...its a launch title). it should be more interesting for their next game.

hopefully we will also see a similar article for their next game to see how things have evolved from the launch title. we wont really see what the PS4 and X1 can do until 18-24 months from now to itll be interesting to see how the tech evolves to make better use of the hardware.

Animal-Mother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#25  Edited By Animal-Mother
Member since 2003 • 27362 Posts

@seanmcloughlin said:

GG are wizards with tech. They make some of the best visuals around. I really wish the rest of their games held up as good.

The reflections in the game coupled with light bouncing everywhere is stunning to look at

It's a shame because they do. To me at least they're a middle tier crytek. Good visuals good tech, Games are a bit better than cryteks (IMO)

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#26  Edited By Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts
@Tessellation said:

Prebaked Zone.

Prebaked is fine when the game can get away with it. Graphics aren't about the techniques you use but rather the end result. If you can achieve the same end result with a lot less of a performance hit, then that's what you should do. Even PC games prebake stuff when they can get away with it. Much cheaper on render allowing them to better utilize the hardware for other rendering.

All of real-time rendering is smoke and mirrors. There is no point in rendering detail that can't be seen or doesn't enhance the quality of the image just because you can do the rendering. That's just mindless fanboy drivel.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 deactivated-59b71619573a1

@gpuking said:

@seanmcloughlin said:

@Tessellation said:

Prebaked Zone.

What's funny is that BF4 on ultra doesn't even have screen space reflection of any sort, that's why it's looking very old school compared to KZSF.

Some parts of BF4s campaign look rough as shit too. Seeing reflections on door windows of exterior city scenes when you're in a hallway is very distracting.

It's very inconsistent

Riverwolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Riverwolf007
Member since 2005 • 26023 Posts

congrats on making the millionth killzone topic that wants to talk about anything other than gameplay.

shurns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 shurns
Member since 2006 • 286 Posts

@danabo: Good read. This is quite impressive for GG.