DF Interviews Playground Games; Find out why Forza is "best-in-class."

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#101 Posted by HalcyonScarlet (4437 posts) -

[QUOTE="clone01"][QUOTE="Z-Fatalis"]

Arcade racer, no thanks.

Z-Fatalis

Considering your sig, 0/10 trolling attempt. Keep practicing, though, you'll get better.

What does that have anything to do with LBP Karting?

Arcade racers are not my thing.

Sim racers are.

Fun racing games that don't take themselves too seriously like Mario Kart, LBP Karting and Crash racing are.

I'm actually far from trolling.

How does Forza Horizon take itself seriously? Have you played it, it's just fun.

#102 Posted by speedfog (3203 posts) -

[QUOTE="speedfog"]

[QUOTE="Z-Fatalis"]

Z-Fatalis

Dear ispeakfact wannebe,

You suck, and I recommend you using photoshop instead of paint, and try to be more original in your pictures.

Thats all.

OT:

I got the game yesterday, it's awesome and the graphics engine is great. But yes 30 fps is a downside.

The game deserves the praise after all :).

keep it coming

Is that water? I'm thirsty.

#103 Posted by Z-Fatalis (1122 posts) -

[QUOTE="Z-Fatalis"]

[QUOTE="speedfog"]

Dear ispeakfact wannebe,

You suck, and I recommend you using photoshop instead of paint, and try to be more original in your pictures.

Thats all.

OT:

I got the game yesterday, it's awesome and the graphics engine is great. But yes 30 fps is a downside.

The game deserves the praise after all :).

speedfog

keep it coming

I'm not anymore, thanks :cool:

#104 Posted by spiderluck (2376 posts) -
If you have Forza4, which I do along with Forza3, is this worth $60 for being open world? Heil68
hmm ...good question...Personally i love being able to drive full speed and trying to dodge oncoming traffic...plus i really like being able to adjust settings since i'm not that much of a sim freak..as much as i love forza 4 driving in an open world is a satisfying experience...for me anyways...plus it's easy on the eyes
#105 Posted by speedfog (3203 posts) -

[QUOTE="speedfog"]

[QUOTE="Z-Fatalis"]

keep it coming

Z-Fatalis

I'm not anymore, thanks :cool:

Derp.

#106 Posted by Z-Fatalis (1122 posts) -

[QUOTE="Z-Fatalis"]

[QUOTE="clone01"] Considering your sig, 0/10 trolling attempt. Keep practicing, though, you'll get better.HalcyonScarlet

Sim racers are.

Fun racing games that don't take themselves too seriously like Mario Kart, LBP Karting and Crash racing are.

How does Forza Horizon take itself seriously? Have you played it, it's just fun.

Well when you compare it to mario kart and such, its much more serious don't you think? thats what I ment, I'm not saying it takes itself too seriously

#107 Posted by Drakshark2424 (74 posts) -

[QUOTE="Drakshark2424"][QUOTE="CanYouDiglt"]I do not see why they should get rid of something you do not have to use. Before the race turn it off and you will recieve more credits also. I have mine turned off but no reason not to have it in the game so others can not use it.Chemical_Viking

It's interesting once you think about it.... Considering that you can't rewind AND PAUSE in real life. Anyone who dogs rewind is hypocrite since they paused at least once in any type of racing game.

How does that work? Games are not real life. I don't treat it as if it is real life. Ergo, your accusation falls flat.

When you pause, you are not undoing mistakes you've made, an introduction which is contrary to the spirit of racing games.

My additive was actually a direct comment towards those who believe GT5 shouldn't have the rewind feature, since apparently it is deemed unrealistic in a 'racing simulator.' You may necessarily may not treat it as if it is real life, but I can bet everything in my bank account some who do. I'm the opposite actaully, and I for one welcome the rewind feature in any future racing games to come. When testing physics or practicing driving, rewind allows you to negate minor differences in variables and also saves time. Example, find the optimum braking point for the back straight at Sarthe: No rewind - restart track over and over, or lap over and over with slight variations in speed and position each time. Rewind - hit rewind button after you've gone around the corner and you go back to the exact initial speed and position. Rewind in no way lowers realism, it is no way arcade, and to think so just means you've not thought very carefully. Whether it's desirable or not is up to the individual. However, there might be a reason that it appeared in a driving sim, and that said sim isn't stuck in 1997.
#108 Posted by Master_ShakeXXX (13361 posts) -

Is this you finally admitting you're a lem, stevo?

And I'll just give the proverbial "lolconsolegrafix".

#109 Posted by Jonwh18 (9350 posts) -

When you have the time Jon, I'm still waiting for you to address my two replies. :]Stevo_the_gamer
yeah sorry I was washing my car (speaking of racing game threads :P) I only saw the one post about codemasters?

"That must explain why Codemasters keeps getting more nods over Criterion--oh wait. :]"

Frankly your post is worded weirdly and I'm not sure what you are trying to get across. :?

I has a "ohh wait" at the end implying sarcasm but your are praising another devloper (codemasters, and I have no Idea who they are bt they apperently do F1). So am confused as to why you would praise another dev, but not really since I believe it was sarcasm, over criterion, when I was the one supporting criterion and you apperently disagreed?

Also F1 games are usually racing sims, so I fail to see how it fits into the relm of arcade racers.... I'm going to be honest I avoid sim racers like GT, Forza motorsport and anything with F1 in the name (because F1 games are usually sims, which bore me). I find them boring and stick to arcade racers.

#110 Posted by danish-death (5314 posts) -
Did someone say console graphic King? Lololol ._.
#111 Posted by HalcyonScarlet (4437 posts) -

[QUOTE="HalcyonScarlet"]

[QUOTE="Z-Fatalis"]

Sim racers are.

Z-Fatalis

Well when you compare it to mario kart and such, its much more serious don't you think? thats what I ment, I'm not saying it takes itself too seriously

That's fair actually, but it's not so arcadey it's weird. Sometimes it feels weird to drive proper cars on crazy arcade physics like Ridge Racer, Out Run and so on. I can see what you're saying there. It's one of the reasons I've never liked Burnout with all it's high speed crashing and all that.

#113 Posted by spiderluck (2376 posts) -
[QUOTE="Chemical_Viking"]

[QUOTE="Drakshark2424"] It's interesting once you think about it.... Considering that you can't rewind AND PAUSE in real life. Anyone who dogs rewind is hypocrite since they paused at least once in any type of racing game. Drakshark2424

How does that work? Games are not real life. I don't treat it as if it is real life. Ergo, your accusation falls flat.

When you pause, you are not undoing mistakes you've made, an introduction which is contrary to the spirit of racing games.

My additive was actually a direct comment towards those who believe GT5 shouldn't have the rewind feature, since apparent;y it is deemed unrealistic in a 'racing simulator.' You may necessarily may not treat it as if it is real life, but I can bet everything in my bank account some who do. I'm the opposite actaully, and I for one welcome the rewind feature in any future racing games to come. When testing physics or practicing driving, rewind allows you to negate minor differences in variables and also saves time. Example, find the optimum braking point for the back straight at Sarthe: No rewind - restart track over and over, or lap over and over with slight variations in speed and position each time. Rewind - hit rewind button after you've gone around the corner and you go back to the exact initial speed and position. Rewind in no way lowers realism, it is no way arcade, and to think so just means you've not thought very carefully. Whether it's desirable or not is up to the individual. However, there might be a reason that it appeared in a driving sim, and that said sim isn't stuck in 1997.

Totally agree with this ...rewind is an excellent tool to learn or master tracks in a non tedious way
#114 Posted by Z-Fatalis (1122 posts) -

[QUOTE="Z-Fatalis"]

[QUOTE="HalcyonScarlet"]

HalcyonScarlet

That's fair actually, but it's not so arcadey it's weird. Sometimes it feels weird to drive proper cars on crazy arcade physics like Ridge Racer, Out Run and so on. I can see what you're saying there. It's one of the reasons I've never liked Burnout with all it's high speed crashing and all that.

Agreed I find Ridge Racer and Burnout to be the worst in that genre

#115 Posted by stvee101 (2953 posts) -

30 fps.:lol:

That is all.

#116 Posted by danish-death (5314 posts) -
[QUOTE="Drakshark2424"][QUOTE="Chemical_Viking"]

spiderluck
My additive was actually a direct comment towards those who believe GT5 shouldn't have the rewind feature, since apparent;y it is deemed unrealistic in a 'racing simulator.' You may necessarily may not treat it as if it is real life, but I can bet everything in my bank account some who do. I'm the opposite actaully, and I for one welcome the rewind feature in any future racing games to come. When testing physics or practicing driving, rewind allows you to negate minor differences in variables and also saves time. Example, find the optimum braking point for the back straight at Sarthe: No rewind - restart track over and over, or lap over and over with slight variations in speed and position each time. Rewind - hit rewind button after you've gone around the corner and you go back to the exact initial speed and position. Rewind in no way lowers realism, it is no way arcade, and to think so just means you've not thought very carefully. Whether it's desirable or not is up to the individual. However, there might be a reason that it appeared in a driving sim, and that said sim isn't stuck in 1997.

Totally agree with this ...rewind is an excellent tool to learn or master tracks in a non tedious way

i want to say go fakh yourself rewind, but.. That actually made sense and is a good tool to make something more accessible without sacrificing anything. A lot of veterans in any game will hate on something like this, but only because they've gotten used to the old and tedious way and have no care for newcomers
#117 Posted by HalcyonScarlet (4437 posts) -

[QUOTE="Drakshark2424"][QUOTE="Chemical_Viking"]

spiderluck

That's true, I feel like I've cheated if I use it in a race though. But i've never thought about it like that for practice it's a good idea. But in Forza there's an option for the racing optimum line, that changes colour to red to show when you should brake. I use the racing line, because I have a lot to learn about that stuff.

#118 Posted by Stevo_the_gamer (42906 posts) -

I has a "ohh wait" at the end implying sarcasm but your are praising another devloper (codemasters, and I have no Idea who they are bt they apperently do F1). So am confused as to why you would praise another dev, but not really since I believe it was sarcasm, over criterion, when I was the one supporting criterion and you apperently disagreed?

Also F1 games are usually racing sims, so I fail to see how it fits into the relm of arcade racers.... I'm going to be honest I avoid sim racers like GT, Forza motorsport and anything with F1 in the name (because F1 games are usually sims, which bore me). I find them boring and stick to arcade racers.

Jonwh18

Codemasters is a large company, but I referring to DiRT franchise and it's huge critical success.

#119 Posted by heretrix (37382 posts) -

Damn. There is some smoking ass burn in this thread.

#120 Posted by whiskeystrike (12068 posts) -

Blue is a nice color.

#121 Posted by CanYouDiglt (7472 posts) -

This thread made me want to play more and since my last post I finally beat that helicopter and got that vette and also found me a barn find. So two nice cars.I have been getting so many cars from preorder cars, online lvling bonuses, barn finds, gifts for being a VIP member, and race wins that there is no reason to buy any lol. I am just saving up for a Veyron SS.

#122 Posted by Jonwh18 (9350 posts) -

[QUOTE="Jonwh18"]

Stevo_the_gamer

Codemasters is a large company, but I referring to DiRT franchise and it's huge critical success.

They made dirt? My bad :P I do enjoy DiRT. Both Burnout and DiRT and Burnout are superior to FH. As for Burnout versus DiRT, Its harder to compare. On has an off road focus the other is big on driving through traffic. I have a preferance for Burnouts style of game play over off road/derbie racing. SInce the two are pretty different games I would turn to scores. DiRT the more consistanly higher rated franchise, but they have only made three Dirt games as of this point in time that I know of. Critierion has put out at least three games that are at or higher then 9. AS a series Dirt has a 8.3 and two 9's. I'm really not going to call this one. Id say they are about equal.

#123 Posted by Drakshark2424 (74 posts) -

[QUOTE="Stevo_the_gamer"]

[QUOTE="Jonwh18"]

Jonwh18

They made dirt? My bad :P I do enjoy DiRT. Both Burnout and DiRT and Burnout are superior to FH. As for Burnout versus DiRT, Its harder to compare. On has an off road focus the other is big on driving through traffic. I have a preferance for Burnouts style of game play over off road/derbie racing. SInce the two are pretty different games I would turn to scores. DiRT the more consistanly higher rated franchise, but they have only made three Dirt games as of this point in time that I know of. Critierion has put out at least three games that are at or higher then 9. AS a series Dirt has a 8.3 and two 9's. I'm really not going to call this one. Id say they are about equal.

I do too! Makes me even more excited at the fact that developers who created DiRT and Bizzare Creations from the PGR Series are part of the Horizon team now! :)
#124 Posted by Heil68 (44695 posts) -
I just want to give a big thanks to Bill Gates and Microsoft for continuing to make amazing barn bursting exclusives that enrage cows so much they troll xbox threads with lame attempts at damgae control. Thank you Microsoft :cool:DarthClark
#legendary, another fan #winning..Thanks Icantezcapethefail lolz
#125 Posted by OB-47 (10909 posts) -

It's a very sexy looking game

#126 Posted by Heil68 (44695 posts) -
[QUOTE="Heil68"]If you have Forza4, which I do along with Forza3, is this worth $60 for being open world? spiderluck
hmm ...good question...Personally i love being able to drive full speed and trying to dodge oncoming traffic...plus i really like being able to adjust settings since i'm not that much of a sim freak..as much as i love forza 4 driving in an open world is a satisfying experience...for me anyways...plus it's easy on the eyes

I'll try the demo tonight then, I'm guessing I'll still wait for the price drop, but well see. I really want to try the new NFS game too on Pc since Burnout guys made it.
#127 Posted by Jonwh18 (9350 posts) -

[QUOTE="Jonwh18"]

[QUOTE="Stevo_the_gamer"]

Drakshark2424

I do too! Makes me even more excited at the fact that developers who created DiRT and Bizzare Creations from the PGR Series are part of the Horizon team now! :)

who are you?

#128 Posted by Drakshark2424 (74 posts) -

[QUOTE="Drakshark2424"][QUOTE="Jonwh18"] They made dirt? My bad :P I do enjoy DiRT. Both Burnout and DiRT and Burnout are superior to FH. As for Burnout versus DiRT, Its harder to compare. On has an off road focus the other is big on driving through traffic. I have a preferance for Burnouts style of game play over off road/derbie racing. SInce the two are pretty different games I would turn to scores. DiRT the more consistanly higher rated franchise, but they have only made three Dirt games as of this point in time that I know of. Critierion has put out at least three games that are at or higher then 9. AS a series Dirt has a 8.3 and two 9's. I'm really not going to call this one. Id say they are about equal.

Jonwh18

who are you?

Doesn't matter.
#129 Posted by RR360DD (11956 posts) -

Meh, sorry but its PGR >>> Horizon >>> DiRT >>> GRID >>> NFS >>> Test Drive >>> Burnout >>> GT ( :lol: ).

Horizon is the first racing game to give me goosebumps, the atmosphere is incredible.

#130 Posted by delta3074 (18308 posts) -

[QUOTE="GhettoBlastin92"][QUOTE="Z-Fatalis"]

sigh, an Illiterate

Z-Fatalis

Sigh, a person who clearly has no idea what they are talking about. What you said in your original post was hilarious, considering your sig and avatar. Also Motorstorm can be placed with burnout.

ok not Illiterate, just selective reading

that went completely over your head didn't it, you said 'arcade racer, no thanks' yet you have an arcade racer in your sig, hence the self ownage.
#131 Posted by Z-Fatalis (1122 posts) -

[QUOTE="Z-Fatalis"]

[QUOTE="GhettoBlastin92"]Sigh, a person who clearly has no idea what they are talking about. What you said in your original post was hilarious, considering your sig and avatar. Also Motorstorm can be placed with burnout.delta3074

ok not Illiterate, just selective reading

that went completely over your head didn't it, you said 'arcade racer, no thanks' yet you have an arcade racer in your sig, hence the self ownage.

Why do you choose not to read? I explained this already in this exact thread, try again

#132 Posted by musicalmac (23021 posts) -

Arcade racer, no thanks.

Z-Fatalis
lolwut?

It's important to note that this is your sig...
#133 Posted by ChubbyGuy40 (26150 posts) -

Silly low res, low performance arcade racer. 5760x1080 with 32xAA, 4xSGSSAA+4xMSAA, 120FPS in 3D on racing rig with movement/rumble and 5.1 sound or gtfo.

Disgusting console plebs.

#134 Posted by NirdBerd (2116 posts) -

Arcade racer, no thanks.

Z-Fatalis

Nice sig bro

#135 Posted by Z-Fatalis (1122 posts) -

[QUOTE="Z-Fatalis"]

Arcade racer, no thanks.

NirdBerd

Nice sig bro

#136 Posted by TheEroica (13548 posts) -
[QUOTE="spiderluck"][QUOTE="Heil68"]If you have Forza4, which I do along with Forza3, is this worth $60 for being open world? Heil68

I'll try the demo tonight then, I'm guessing I'll still wait for the price drop, but well see. I really want to try the new NFS game too on Pc since Burnout guys made it.

I played the demo last night and it was pretty WOW worthy I have to say... I can't tell you how much I love the transition of feel as the car goes from dirt to pavement... Its gorgeous and it begs you to shove the pedal to the floor... Gonna get mine around xmas... What did you think of the fable journey demo heil?
#137 Posted by OB-47 (10909 posts) -

Speaking of sigs, is mine even working? I can't see my own

#138 Posted by Z-Fatalis (1122 posts) -

OB-47

Nope, did you put the url in correctly?

#139 Posted by PAL360 (26888 posts) -

[QUOTE="Blabadon"][QUOTE="Jonwh18"] code masters? Anyway back to ripping this game, people talk about Sony copying or Nintendo copying? Look at this! They copied almost everything right down to the radio announcer.Jonwh18

Except this game looks fun unlike Burnout Paradise. That was a terrible game.

well BP was editors choice and a 9.0. This? nope!

Do you honestly believe Burnout Paradise would score over 7.5 by today's standards?

#140 Posted by PAL360 (26888 posts) -

If you have Forza4, which I do along with Forza3, is this worth $60 for being open world? Heil68

I sold Forza 3 to get Forza 4, there is no need to keep both. Horizon is a completly different game, though.

#141 Posted by Liquid_ (2700 posts) -

Yeah the game is amazing. I didn't expect it to turn out as great as it did.JohnnyCageMK

#142 Posted by OB-47 (10909 posts) -

[QUOTE="OB-47"]

Z-Fatalis

I did, and my sig was up for awhile before it glitched.

#143 Posted by Mr_Cumberdale (10188 posts) -
Sadly it's still a Forza game. Forza 3 left a bad taste in my mouth. :(
#144 Posted by OB-47 (10909 posts) -

Sadly it's still a Forza game. Forza 3 left a bad taste in my mouth. :(Mr_Cumberdale

Why? Forza 3 was bettere than 2 in nearly every way wasn't it?

#145 Posted by Rocker6 (13358 posts) -

[QUOTE="Z-Fatalis"]

[QUOTE="OB-47"]

OB-47

It'll come back, eventually. It probably got hit by the same thing that wiped my avy...

Happens a lot on Glithspot, lasts for a few days, and fixes itself...

#146 Posted by jsmoke03 (12906 posts) -

[QUOTE="Z-Fatalis"]

Arcade racer, no thanks.

PhazonBlazer

So what do you call Little Big Planet Karting?

an arcade racer...only an idiot would pass it off as anything else
#147 Posted by Peredith (2310 posts) -

So Forza Horizon is the new console graphics king? Damn, cows got owned so hard this year :lol:

#148 Posted by OB-47 (10909 posts) -

[QUOTE="OB-47"]

[QUOTE="Z-Fatalis"]

Rocker6

It'll come back, eventually. It probably got hit by the same thing that wiped my avy...

Happens a lot on Glithspot, lasts for a few days, and fixes itself...

Oh sweet, because I can't find the file and couldn't be stuffed making it again.

#149 Posted by parkurtommo (27102 posts) -
It looks great, but 30fps smh.tagyhag
Woot templar assassin!! :P Anyways stevo being half-lemming as always.
#150 Posted by Z-Fatalis (1122 posts) -

[QUOTE="PhazonBlazer"]

[QUOTE="Z-Fatalis"]

Arcade racer, no thanks.

jsmoke03

So what do you call Little Big Planet Karting?

an arcade racer...only an idiot would pass it off as anything else

Player Generated Raceror if you prefer User Generated Content Racer

Come at me bro