Dew dew dew, dew dew, another one bites the dust..........

  • 105 results
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
#1 Posted by StrongDeadlift (5176 posts) -

http://gearnuke.com/michael-knowland-lead-character-artist-last-us-leaves-naughty-dog-report/

Michael Knowland, Lead Character Artist of The Last of Us, Leaves Naughty Dog – Report

According to the listing on the Linkedin profile of Michael Knowland, he has left Naughty Dog after working for them as Lead Character Artist for more than 3 years.

Michael Knowland was the lead character artist for the critical and commercial hit The Last of Us from Naughty Dog. He worked on the game for a grand total of 2 and half years was the lead character artist. It appears that he has left Naughty Dog now, presumably after finishing his work on The Last of Us. His previous credit includes working at Frontier Developments. He hasn’t written about his new workplace yet.

He now joins the ranks of other former Naughty Dog employees that left the company recently including Nate Wells, Justin Richmond, Amy Hennig, who all left Naughty Dog at the start of this new generation.

Ruh roh raggy.

#2 Posted by airshocker (29926 posts) -

What the fuck is going on with this studio that their big employees are all leaving?

#3 Posted by Sweenix (5399 posts) -

Wow.. Leaving after finishing a game, hold the presses!!

#5 Posted by airshocker (29926 posts) -

@SNIPER4321 said:

@airshocker said:

What the fuck is going on with this studio that their big employees are all leaving?

maybe he realise that he is working for a corrupt company who pay critics for win their awards..

I'm sure you have absolutely no idea what the reasoning behind the departures is, so don't bother replying.

#6 Edited by GrenadeLauncher (5146 posts) -

Worked on TLOU, quit after it finished, by that point UC4 was two years in development. I was unaware development staff were contracted to studios for life.

Imagine if MS or EA had a dev studio as good as Naughty Dog, they might get this much attention on their personnel turnover.

#7 Edited by airshocker (29926 posts) -
@Sweenix said:

Wow.. Leaving after finishing a game, hold the presses!!


Usually people move onto different projects WITHIN the company that they're working for. They don't just leave the company after a game has been finished.

#8 Posted by ReadingRainbow4 (14454 posts) -

Next up, naughtydog leaves naughtydog.

#9 Edited by SolidTy (43843 posts) -

It's nice to have Naughty Dog on a resume to springboard for bigger opportunity, it seems. Good timing, as a new generation is upon us.

Next thread title? "Naughty leaves Dog".

#10 Edited by Spartan070 (16361 posts) -

ND employees running like they saw the White Rabbit at the Cave of Caer Bannog

...or the French Taunter...

#11 Posted by Netret0120 (2207 posts) -

I support Sony and this is slightly worrying but all that is needed is a strong E3 showing by ND and all the lemmings can be quiet.

#12 Posted by MBirdy88 (8330 posts) -

@airshocker said:

What the fuck is going on with this studio that their big employees are all leaving?

My guess is.... Naughtydog pushed the boundaries of gameplay and style at one point..... the first uncharted and last of us were interesting.

But now the studio is getting too much fame for creating graphic-whoring linear shooters... they are forced to keep making them over and over for the bro-cow gamers .... if I was a leader in the creative role there... I would leave.... as its now devoid of any.

"Whats our next game guys" "A ZOMBIE SHOOTER REPLACE DRAKE WITH AN OLD MAN, ADD A LITTLE GIRL MAKE IT DRAMATIC" .... jesus christ.

#13 Posted by GrenadeLauncher (5146 posts) -

@Netret0120 said:

I support Sony and this is slightly worrying but all that is needed is a strong E3 showing by ND and all the lemmings can be quiet.

Yep. Once the gameplay footage is shown at E3 all the shitposting journalists and gloating lemmings will be silenced for good.

#14 Posted by lglz1337 (3855 posts) -

ofcourse as expected a top dog with gotys all over the place, the king in this industry gets so much attention.

stop the presses ladys and gentleman

#15 Posted by lglz1337 (3855 posts) -

@MBirdy88: more than 200 award >>>>>> your opinion! FACT!

#16 Posted by MBirdy88 (8330 posts) -

@lglz1337 said:

@MBirdy88: more than 200 award >>>>>> your opinion! FACT!

Linear 10 hour shooter with no re playability value... and not even the best mechanics in their own genres.... is also a fact.

#18 Posted by Sweenix (5399 posts) -
@MBirdy88 said:

@lglz1337 said:

@MBirdy88: more than 200 award >>>>>> your opinion! FACT!

Linear 10 hour shooter with no re playability value... and not even the best mechanics in their own genres.... is also a fact.

Ever heard of multiplayer? i personally spent over 100 hours on uncharted 3.

There is a difference between a fact and a fanboy and i believe you are the latter and once again, let me quote you on that titanfall avy

@MBirdy88 said:

@airshocker said:

What the fuck is going on with this studio that their big employees are all leaving?

My guess is.... Naughtydog pushed the boundaries of gameplay and style at one point..... the first uncharted and last of us were interesting.

But now the studio is getting too much fame for creating graphic-whoring linear shooters... they are forced to keep making them over and over for the bro-cow gamers .... if I was a leader in the creative role there... I would leave.... as its now devoid of any.

"Whats our next game guys" "A ZOMBIE SHOOTER REPLACE DRAKE WITH AN OLD MAN, ADD A LITTLE GIRL MAKE IT DRAMATIC" .... jesus christ.

Says the person who has a titanfall avy

Lems these days :/

#19 Edited by BattleSpectre (6236 posts) -

Ok seriously after the first few I ignored it, but now another LEAD employee leaves? It's like they don't even care anymore....

#20 Posted by Funk21312 (39 posts) -

Next up, naughtydog leaves naughtydog.

#21 Posted by GrenadeLauncher (5146 posts) -

It's almost as though they've only just started their next project and some developers with the GOTY 2013 under their belt have chosen to leave to find new projects and new challenges.

Nah.

#22 Posted by Mr-Kutaragi (1967 posts) -

lol he work on one game and leave, but this is key ND employee and major blow. And lemming wonder why they are consider bottom feeder fanboy. Sadly, ND can have one employee left only and still superior than MS first party studios.

#23 Edited by groowagon (2823 posts) -

maybe the ND office smells so goddamn bad that it's forcing people to leave.

#24 Posted by misterpmedia (3468 posts) -

inb4: "Concern Trolling; The Topic".

#25 Edited by MBirdy88 (8330 posts) -

@Sweenix said:
@MBirdy88 said:

@lglz1337 said:

@MBirdy88: more than 200 award >>>>>> your opinion! FACT!

Linear 10 hour shooter with no re playability value... and not even the best mechanics in their own genres.... is also a fact.

Ever heard of multiplayer? i personally spent over 100 hours on uncharted 3.

There is a difference between a fact and a fanboy and i believe you are the latter and once again, let me quote you on that titanfall avy

@MBirdy88 said:

@airshocker said:

What the fuck is going on with this studio that their big employees are all leaving?

My guess is.... Naughtydog pushed the boundaries of gameplay and style at one point..... the first uncharted and last of us were interesting.

But now the studio is getting too much fame for creating graphic-whoring linear shooters... they are forced to keep making them over and over for the bro-cow gamers .... if I was a leader in the creative role there... I would leave.... as its now devoid of any.

"Whats our next game guys" "A ZOMBIE SHOOTER REPLACE DRAKE WITH AN OLD MAN, ADD A LITTLE GIRL MAKE IT DRAMATIC" .... jesus christ.

Says the person who has a titanfall avy

Lems these days :/

Uncharted MP NEVER took off, I don't care if you like it, its mundane/mediocre at best and received that way. why would I play that MP when I can play mnany better ones, ironically Titanfall.

PC/PS4/Vita player sorry to dissapoint. linear 10 hour shooters never make the top of my lists... and are not creative,.

#26 Posted by FoxbatAlpha (7422 posts) -

Cows should give a actual fuck at this point. There is trouble in paradise.

The only thing left to do? LMMFAO!!!

#27 Edited by Vecna (3394 posts) -

My vote goes to who gives a crap. There is a lot of dc in here though.

#28 Posted by Suppaman100 (3946 posts) -

...lol? Who cares?

Xbone can only dream of a game like TLOU and a studio like Naughty Dog.

#29 Posted by Shewgenja (9634 posts) -

How come none of this shit was reported last generation? Sounds like the gaming press playing for MS again.

#30 Posted by lglz1337 (3855 posts) -

lol lems have no ps4 bash content so they fall back to this. LMAO

we should all make threads about people leaving studios. nerds!

#31 Edited by Sweenix (5399 posts) -

@MBirdy88 said:

@Sweenix said:
@MBirdy88 said:

@lglz1337 said:

@MBirdy88: more than 200 award >>>>>> your opinion! FACT!

Linear 10 hour shooter with no re playability value... and not even the best mechanics in their own genres.... is also a fact.

Ever heard of multiplayer? i personally spent over 100 hours on uncharted 3.

There is a difference between a fact and a fanboy and i believe you are the latter and once again, let me quote you on that titanfall avy

@MBirdy88 said:

@airshocker said:

What the fuck is going on with this studio that their big employees are all leaving?

My guess is.... Naughtydog pushed the boundaries of gameplay and style at one point..... the first uncharted and last of us were interesting.

But now the studio is getting too much fame for creating graphic-whoring linear shooters... they are forced to keep making them over and over for the bro-cow gamers .... if I was a leader in the creative role there... I would leave.... as its now devoid of any.

"Whats our next game guys" "A ZOMBIE SHOOTER REPLACE DRAKE WITH AN OLD MAN, ADD A LITTLE GIRL MAKE IT DRAMATIC" .... jesus christ.

Says the person who has a titanfall avy

Lems these days :/

Uncharted MP NEVER took off, I don't care if you like it, its mundane/mediocre at best and received that way. why would I play that MP when I can play mnany better ones, ironically Titanfall.

PC/PS4/Vita player sorry to dissapoint. linear 10 hour shooters never make the top of my lists... and are not creative,.

Mediocre? In what way? last time i checked uncharted 3 received a 9.0 here and has a meta of 92 and considering multiplayer is part of the review, it does not make it mediocre

Don't start forcing your irrelevant opinions as fact

#32 Edited by MonsieurX (30471 posts) -

@lglz1337 said:

lol lems have no ps4 bash content so they fall back to this. LMAO

we should all make threads about people leaving studios. nerds!

Don't be mad about your favorite studio losing employes

#33 Edited by FoxbatAlpha (7422 posts) -

Damn I cant keep track. When all your top people leave it is for a reason.

It is my belief *waves finger in air* that these top personnel (like Jack Tretton) are privy to a inside leak that spells Sony's demise.

#34 Edited by LJS9502_basic (151496 posts) -

Who cares. People switch up jobs everyday. One thing to consider is being on ND might bring some lucrative jobs in other companies. Higher position etc.

#35 Posted by GrenadeLauncher (5146 posts) -

@lglz1337 said:

lol lems have no ps4 bash content so they fall back to this. LMAO

we should all make threads about people leaving studios. nerds!

No games to play so they're back to whining about the cream of the crop.

As I said, when they show off gameplay footage at E3, the likes of Justin will have to shut up forever. :)

#36 Posted by Evo_nine (1741 posts) -

i guess all the ND employees are sick of making crappy movies.

whos left there anyways? joe the janitor? i heard he might be leaving too.

#37 Posted by misterpmedia (3468 posts) -

@Shewgenja said:

How come none of this shit was reported last generation? Sounds like the gaming press playing for MS again.

shh no sense, only employmentgate now.

#38 Posted by SolidTy (43843 posts) -

@Shewgenja said:

How come none of this shit was reported last generation? Sounds like the gaming press playing for MS again.

That's a good point. I couldn't tell you who quit from Bungie in their glory years from Halo to Halo 3, same for Square, Eidos, Naughty Dog, RARE, and various other studios. It's a different landscape now and it seems the media runs with it as it gets hits and causes speculation. There was an exodus here or there of a CEO or a big name dev, but now we are privy to all the nuts and bolts devs that leave.

#39 Edited by lglz1337 (3855 posts) -

butthurt lems hoping ND will close his doors.

keep praying lems not going to happen!

we will enjoy the GOTY TLOU remastered in full 1080p 60fps and the next GOTY Uncharted, i hope Rare will save you LOL!

almost 30 people left the witcher studio where is the press ? oh wait there is noone only the gods in this industry have the biggest press

#40 Posted by _Matt_ (8924 posts) -

@airshocker said:
@Sweenix said:

Wow.. Leaving after finishing a game, hold the presses!!

Usually people move onto different projects WITHIN the company that they're working for. They don't just leave the company after a game has been finished.

Actually, that's not true at all. It's quite common practice for development companies to get rid of a chunk of staff of all experience and skill levels after any given project, and rehire new staff completely.

#42 Posted by misterpmedia (3468 posts) -

@_Matt_ said:

@airshocker said:
@Sweenix said:

Wow.. Leaving after finishing a game, hold the presses!!

Usually people move onto different projects WITHIN the company that they're working for. They don't just leave the company after a game has been finished.

Actually, that's not true at all. It's quite common practice for development companies to get rid of a chunk of staff of all experience and skill levels after any given project, and rehire new staff completely.

I think people should really read up on how contracts work.

#43 Edited by lbjkurono23 (12544 posts) -

@misterpmedia said:

@_Matt_ said:

@airshocker said:
@Sweenix said:

Wow.. Leaving after finishing a game, hold the presses!!

Usually people move onto different projects WITHIN the company that they're working for. They don't just leave the company after a game has been finished.

Actually, that's not true at all. It's quite common practice for development companies to get rid of a chunk of staff of all experience and skill levels after any given project, and rehire new staff completely.

I think people should really read up on how contracts work.

but this is so much better!

#44 Edited by misterpmedia (3468 posts) -

@lbjkurono23 said:

@misterpmedia said:

@_Matt_ said:

@airshocker said:
@Sweenix said:

Wow.. Leaving after finishing a game, hold the presses!!

Usually people move onto different projects WITHIN the company that they're working for. They don't just leave the company after a game has been finished.

Actually, that's not true at all. It's quite common practice for development companies to get rid of a chunk of staff of all experience and skill levels after any given project, and rehire new staff completely.

I think people should really read up on how contracts work.

but this is so much better!

lo If I'm honest I fully agree, SW runs on arguments :P. Would be boring or else.

#45 Edited by speedfreak48t5p (8207 posts) -

It would seem the title of theit last game "The Last of Us", seems quite relevant these days.

#46 Edited by bforrester420 (1662 posts) -

OMG, a character artist leaves? How will ND ever make another game?!? </sarcasm>

#47 Posted by GrenadeLauncher (5146 posts) -

@bforrester420 said:

OMG, a character artist leaves? How will ND ever make another game?!? </sarcasm>

They literally cannot rehire anyone else.

#48 Edited by MonsieurX (30471 posts) -

@speedfreak48t5p said:

It would seem the title of theit last game "The Last of Us", seems quite relevant these days.

#49 Posted by Heil68 (45224 posts) -

When you make consistent top 5 GOAT, sometimes the pressure is too much for people to handle. We in the SONY family wish Michael well on his future endeavors.

#50 Edited by Shewgenja (9634 posts) -

@MonsieurX said:

@speedfreak48t5p said:

It would seem the title of theit last game "The Last of Us", seems quite relevant these days.

So, who's up for a new Ensemble game? Anyone?