Development hell-stricken titles that managed to be actually good?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Salt_The_Fries (8566 posts) -

The common denominator of comparison is Aliens: Colonial Marines.

So, let me start with Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth, first announced in 1999 and finally released in fall 2005.

Splinter Cell: Conviction

Alan Wake, despite massively disappointing it was still a very good game

STALKER

What else springs to mind?

#2 Posted by Neon_Noir (1503 posts) -

Red Dead Redemption and Ninja Gaiden(2004) were both in development for like 5+ years.

#3 Posted by Thefatness16 (4672 posts) -

I guess Halo 2. It wasn't in development for very long, but Bungie was forced to scrap the campaign 1 and 1/2 year into development. Luckily the MP saved the game.

#4 Posted by StrongDeadlift (5160 posts) -

L.A. Noire

/thread.

#5 Posted by The_Pacific (1795 posts) -
RDR as Neon said. Splinter Cell conviction was pretty mediocre I think.
#6 Posted by Zeviander (9503 posts) -
Firstly, what defines "development hell"? A 5-year development cycle is just long, not necessarily vaporware territory.
#7 Posted by Salt_The_Fries (8566 posts) -
Firstly, what defines "development hell"? A 5-year development cycle is just long, not necessarily vaporware territory.Zeviander
All of the titles I mentioned had troubled dev cycle...The company which did Call of Cthulhu went bankrupt half a year after its release and the PC port was actually HANDLED BY A SINGLE PERSON!
#8 Posted by Blabadon (26151 posts) -

I guess Halo 2. It wasn't in development for very long, but Bungie was forced to scrap the campaign 1 and 1/2 year into development. Luckily the MP saved the game.

Thefatness16
This is a pretty good answer if it counts.
#9 Posted by mariokart64fan (19455 posts) -

i cant think of any title except gta iv ,   that title got delaye numerous times and i guess gta v will be the next one 

#10 Posted by bobbetybob (19250 posts) -
Max Payne 3 It didn't have a really bad development cycle but it got delayed a ton and wasn't developed by Remedy so that could easily have spelled disaster if it had been developed by anyone other than Rockstar.
#11 Posted by heeweesRus (5609 posts) -

L.A. Noire

/thread.

StrongDeadlift

#12 Posted by Fossil- (351 posts) -
Firstly, what defines "development hell"? A 5-year development cycle is just long, not necessarily vaporware territory.Zeviander
Yeah I'm not really sure how that works since Blizzard's development cycles can only be measured in decades.
#13 Posted by LadyBlue (3928 posts) -
GT5
#14 Posted by NoirLamia777 (2146 posts) -

I loved Alan Wake and LA Noire.

#15 Posted by Goyoshi12 (9687 posts) -

Men...yua woll nut shat ap ebuat thi whuli E:CM thong, woll yua?

-----------------------------------

((Man...you will not shut up about the whole A:CM thing, will you?))

#16 Posted by Nintendo_Ownes7 (30917 posts) -

The only one I can think of is S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Shadow of Chernobyl.