Developers Or The Console: Who To Blame For PS3 Multiplats Poor Performance?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Mystery_Writer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 Mystery_Writer
Member since 2004 • 8351 Posts

do you guys think we should fault the developer for what could be a hardware limitation?

I mean, the recent IGN Madden 08 review had me thinking, why the gaming media (except GS) is so hard on PS3 titles holding them to X360 standards?

anyway, what do you guys think, is it right to score the titles less because of the hardware?

snorlaxmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#2 snorlaxmaster
Member since 2005 • 1490 Posts
As it was recently announced. The devs have had 3 1/2 years experience with 360, 1 1/2 max for PS3. Its neithers fault really, just give them time and the games will be many times better than they are currently. ;)
EPaul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 EPaul
Member since 2006 • 9917 Posts
No one's fault the developers need more time to get used to the PS3 like the PS2
asdasd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 asdasd
Member since 2005 • 4464 Posts
Devs just dont have enough experience with the PS3 yet. Thats all it is
SIP_YEK_NOD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 SIP_YEK_NOD
Member since 2004 • 304 Posts

do you guys think we should fault the developer for what could be a hardware limitation?

I mean, what do you think of the recent IGN Madden 08 review? do you think it's right to hold PS3 games to X360 standards?

Mystery_Writer

sony did this to themselves. they hyped the thing to high heaven, 1080p, 120fps, the xbox is an xbox 1.5. to come out of the gate with inferior titles where everybody was expecting bare minimum games on-par with the 360, people are just dissapointed.

could you imagine if first wave xbox games looked like second wave ps2 games? the xbox would have been dead in the marketplace.

Ibacai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Ibacai
Member since 2006 • 14459 Posts
Both as it really depends on the situation. There have definitely been some lazy ports but also some games that just couldn't be optimized in a timely manner because of the new hardware.
ermacness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 ermacness
Member since 2005 • 10651 Posts

it's somewhat sony's fault for not making the console install base friendly (with that 600$ pricetag), because of that alot of dev is kinda scared to fully devote time/money into a user base with so little people compared to the competition because they might not get back what they put in. Now while some of the problem is on sony shoulders, most of it is on the dev. Sometimes you have to take a gamble to gain and if you never gamble then you could be missing out on some really good money (not all of the time though). Epic is taking a gamble with the ps3, UT3 while a multiplat it's coming to the ps3 first (PC also) the same ps3 with a so little user base and i have no doubt in my mind that Epic could've delayed the ps3 version until the 360 version was ready, but they are taking a gamble and sometimes in life thats what you have to do to get ahead
Sooshy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#9 Sooshy
Member since 2007 • 1723 Posts
I don't think it's as easy as saying it's either black or white.
dieworm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10 dieworm
Member since 2004 • 6416 Posts
Both, but mostly the developers.
IgGy621985

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 IgGy621985
Member since 2004 • 5922 Posts

Marketing.

The same reason why PCs weren't "next-gen" when "next-gen" consoles arrived.

hotdaisy18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 hotdaisy18
Member since 2004 • 1909 Posts

blame CanandaTHETRUEDOZAH

:lol: The truth!

Anyway. To the subject, EA's expressed that they haven't had much time with the PS3 as they have with the 360 in terms of development time of the systems. Being as the 360 has been out longer, equals more time with that system. So in that case, yes, the developers is at fault not because they don't know the system, it's just they haven't had much time with it.

Now is the PS3 to blame for it? Yes and no. It's a complex system that's been given to the developers. By next year I'm willing to bet we'll see multiplats that are equal to each other between the 360 and PS3. A couple years later, as always, we'll see more frachises go exclusive to a platform. Which one, we don't know.

Setsa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Setsa
Member since 2005 • 8431 Posts
*smacks you with a hockey stick* :D Now that that s taken care of, i d say it s a bit of both. The PS3 lacks GPU and it s pretty weird system because it uses new pieces of technology that haven t been put in a console before (the cell and blu-ray), and the developers probably have some difficulties making games because of this. Well... that s what i think at least.
Riki101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Riki101
Member since 2004 • 2339 Posts
ps3's ram is to blame
HPPL3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 HPPL3
Member since 2007 • 279 Posts

Ok you got a box and its kick ass

Then you have something that can be a box but first you have to make it believe its a box before you can use it as a box.

So its Sony's fault.

purplemidgets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#16 purplemidgets
Member since 2002 • 3103 Posts
WiiFit
hotdaisy18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 hotdaisy18
Member since 2004 • 1909 Posts

Ok you got a box and its kick ass

Then you have something that can be a box but first you have to make it believe its a box before you can use it as a box.

So its Sony's fault.

HPPL3

That made 0 sense. Are you sure you're able to take on the internets?

Avatar image for deactivated-586249e1b64ba
deactivated-586249e1b64ba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 deactivated-586249e1b64ba
Member since 2004 • 7629 Posts
It's the developer's fault for not optimizing the game for the PS3 but it's the PS3's fault at the same time for being so darn different from other systems because of the Cell's architecture.
ImagineGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 ImagineGamer
Member since 2007 • 644 Posts
blame waitstation 3.
_Fabrick_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 _Fabrick_
Member since 2007 • 512 Posts
console
Lazy_Boy88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Lazy_Boy88
Member since 2003 • 7418 Posts
Both. The console is plenty capable, but takes time and effort to learn how to use it. The console is in last place and not selling all that well, so there's little incentive for 3rd parties to spend time and money making the PS3 version good. PS3 multiplats will get more focus and be better as time goes on.
Avatar image for _Peoples_Champ_
_Peoples_Champ_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 _Peoples_Champ_
Member since 2002 • 4695 Posts

As it was recently announced. The devs have had 3 1/2 years experience with 360, 1 1/2 max for PS3. Its neithers fault really, just give them time and the games will be many times better than they are currently. ;)snorlaxmaster

The original ps2 had a 1 1/2 year start on the original xbox. Then Max payne was launched for all consoles, and the Xbox had an equal port to the pc. Explain that.

SambaLele

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 SambaLele
Member since 2004 • 5552 Posts

As it was recently announced. The devs have had 3 1/2 years experience with 360, 1 1/2 max for PS3. Its neithers fault really, just give them time and the games will be many times better than they are currently. ;)snorlaxmaster

exactly. we got too used on blaming someone for everything. this is not the case here, it's just a simple case of lack of experience. didn't the first madden titles for the 360 also run at 30fps?

Areola54

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Areola54
Member since 2006 • 1827 Posts

heck call it 10 years fro 360 dev experience since you are throwing numbers around. 1 1/2 years since the PS3 was release. it was delayed more than a year and devs been working on it for more than year before that.

Hardware in ps3 is not suitable for games. thats the bottom line. it's best to use it for some number crunching stuff like the folding at home.

A-LEGEND

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 A-LEGEND
Member since 2006 • 1668 Posts

Its the console and nobody wants to admit it!

RAM LIMITATIONS, BLUERAY TROJAN, FANBOY DENIAL, WAITING FOR POWER THAT WAS NEVER THERE TO BEGIN WITH TO BE UNLOCKED AND HORRIBLE GAMING CPU FTMFW!!!!

SambaLele

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 SambaLele
Member since 2004 • 5552 Posts

[QUOTE="snorlaxmaster"]As it was recently announced. The devs have had 3 1/2 years experience with 360, 1 1/2 max for PS3. Its neithers fault really, just give them time and the games will be many times better than they are currently. ;)_Peoples_Champ_

The original ps2 had a 1 1/2 year start on the original xbox. Then Max payne was launched for all consoles, and the Xbox had an equal port to the pc. Explain that.

the EA devs said themselves that dealing with new technology makes everything even harder. both ps2 and xbox used hardware very commom at that time.

iMacBot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#27 iMacBot
Member since 2007 • 947 Posts

??? At least spell it right...

CR00K

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 CR00K
Member since 2006 • 2657 Posts
I guess you haven't heard how good the PS3 version of Call of Duty 4 is going to be. Search for it. It is even said that a cuople videos that have been released are running on PS3. It is also running at 60fps. I'm really excited for this because this will shut down the whole "The PS3 isn't powerful enough crap. The thing is, on COD4, they ported COD2 to PS3 just to get the feel on it, then started working on COD4. I might have read that part wrong, but it was something like that.
JiveT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 JiveT
Member since 2005 • 8619 Posts

So I guess that sets the Waitstation 3 clock two years ahead before its $200 more technology catches up to the 360. Outrageous.

CR00K

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 CR00K

[QUOTE="snorlaxmaster"]As it was recently announced. The devs have had 3 1/2 years experience with 360, 1 1/2 max for PS3. Its neithers fault really, just give them time and the games will be many times better than they are currently. ;)JiveT

So I guess that sets the Waitstation 3 clock two years ahead before its $200 more technology catches up to the 360. Outrageous.

Read my post above.
_AsasN_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 _AsasN_
Member since 2003 • 3646 Posts
[QUOTE="Mystery_Writer"]

I mean, what do you think of the recent IGN Madden 08 review? do you think it's right to hold PS3 games to X360 standards?

SIP_YEK_NOD

sony did this to themselves. they hyped the thing to high heaven, 1080p, 120fps, the xbox is an xbox 1.5. to come out of the gate with inferior titles where everybody was expecting bare minimum games on-par with the 360, people are just dissapointed.

could you imagine if first wave xbox games looked like second wave ps2 games? the xbox would have been dead in the marketplace.

Woah! You're saying a company trying to sell it's product actually hyped it like crazy??? Man, that's unheard of. :roll: Think before you type.
CR00K

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 CR00K

Maybe this will end the argument.

"Guys, I have been seeing lots of folks talking about how they are going to be getting the shaft on PS3. Once and for all, let me say, CoD4 on the PS3 is going to KICK BUT-TOCKS!

We have had some of the most talented developers in the world working on the PS3 version since day one. Before they had anything to work with with CoD4, they were taking CoD2 and bringing it over to the PS3. This gave them a massive understanding of how the PS3 hardware works (and only took them a few months). As soon as CoD4 was ready to be under full development, that team began optimizing the game for the PS3. Which was in month 4 or 5 I believe.

We just blew Sony's socks off at E3. They wanted to know why all 3rd party games didn't have console parity like we do. They are EXTREMELY excited about CoD4 for the PS3.

Stay tuned for updates on special CoD4 luv on the PS3.

and yes, PS3 version has 60 FPS minimum."

http://www.charlieoscardelta.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=10494Yes, the official site for the game.

Conclusion: If time and effort are put into games for PS3, everythings good. These guys know what they're doing.They wanted to make sure the PS3 didn't get a crappy version if a great game, which has been happening a lot.

60 fps

Supernova_86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Supernova_86
Member since 2007 • 517 Posts

Mystery_Writer

If you design a 360 game, then port it over to the PS3 without optimising it, of course it will not perform as good. The PS3 has a very different architecture than the 360. On the other hand, if you design a PS3 game and port it to the 360, you will see the same situation happen.

However, if a developer DOES decide to optomise a game while porting it to the PS3, it will certainly beat the 360. Take a look at the PS3 and 360 versions of Oblivion, a game that was optomised for both consoles. The PS3 version looks better, even GS stated that in one of their graphics comparisons.

Mystery_Writer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Mystery_Writer
[QUOTE="Mystery_Writer"]

SIP_YEK_NOD

that's a very good point

DAZZER7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#35 DAZZER7
Member since 2004 • 2422 Posts

Maybe this will end the argument.

"Guys, I have been seeing lots of folks talking about how they are going to be getting the shaft on PS3. Once and for all, let me say, CoD4 on the PS3 is going to KICK BUT-TOCKS!

We have had some of the most talented developers in the world working on the PS3 version since day one. Before they had anything to work with with CoD4, they were taking CoD2 and bringing it over to the PS3. This gave them a massive understanding of how the PS3 hardware works (and only took them a few months). As soon as CoD4 was ready to be under full development, that team began optimizing the game for the PS3. Which was in month 4 or 5 I believe.

We just blew Sony's socks off at E3. They wanted to know why all 3rd party games didn't have console parity like we do. They are EXTREMELY excited about CoD4 for the PS3.

Stay tuned for updates on special CoD4 luv on the PS3.

and yes, PS3 version has 60 FPS minimum."

http://www.charlieoscardelta.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=10494Yes, the official site for the game.

Conclusion: If time and effort are put into games for PS3, everythings good. These guys know what they're doing.They wanted to make sure the PS3 didn't get a crappy version if a great game, which has been happening a lot.

60 fps

CR00K

OK it takes all the most talented developers and all that effort to make a game on par with the 360 version? What ever happene to the Xbox 1.5 ?????

Come on you're supposed to be kicking the360s ass. How long does it take?

FatalDomain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 FatalDomain
Member since 2005 • 1783 Posts

I mean, the recent IGN Madden 08 review had me thinking, why the gaming media (except GS) is so hard on PS3 titles holding them to X360 standards?

anyway, what do you guys think, is it right to score the titles less because of the hardware?

Mystery_Writer

A little bit of "A" and a little bit of "B"...

In the hands of talented devs and given enough time the PS3 has a chance to shine for certain titles. But the PS3 has some glaring limitations that can hold it back as such as the GPU and the RAM which hinders most multiplat games. With that being said you do have some sloppy devs that will push out a title unoptimized and buggy as hell to cash in on a quick buck. So basically the PS3 will only see good performance from the best of the best devs and unfortunately the best are the minority of the gaming world!!!

As for critics being "harsh" on PS3 reviews, we must all realize that the PS3 was hyped as a supercomputer that could make the 360 look like the Wii by comparison....period!!! Its almost been a year since launch and the gaming community as a whole has not seen anything remotely close from the PS3 to toppling the performance of the 360. This is why its completely unacceptable for a system to be hyped as a gift from the gaming gods to be outperformed and outclassed by a "obsolete" system, the reviews are justified...

Game On...

Juggernaut140

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Juggernaut140
Member since 2007 • 36011 Posts

You sir, win this thread.

D3monchicken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 D3monchicken
Member since 2005 • 1270 Posts
I'm to blame... sorry guys, i got lazy :(
Ragashahs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Ragashahs
Member since 2005 • 8785 Posts

EA says that can't get good performance.

Infinity ward says they get equal performance.

who do you think is right?

LosDaddie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 57

#40 LosDaddie
Member since 2006 • 10318 Posts

It's the PS3's fault....actually Sony's fault.

Sony made a console that is not developer friendly at all. It's not designed for games, but actually for pushing high numbers.

Avatar image for nintendofreak_2
nintendofreak_2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#41 nintendofreak_2
Member since 2005 • 25896 Posts
Developers make the games bad, not the consoles.
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#42 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
Its obviously the developers fault. Proof being there is good looking and bad looking games on all platforms.
Mystery_Writer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Mystery_Writer

As for critics being "harsh" on PS3 reviews, we must all realize that the PS3 was hyped as a supercomputer that could make the 360 look like the Wii by comparison....period!!! Its almost been a year since launch and the gaming community as a whole has not seen anything remotely close from the PS3 to toppling the performance of the 360. This is why its completely unacceptable for a system to be hyped as a gift from the gaming gods to be outperformed and outclassed by a "obsolete" system, the reviews are justified...

FatalDomain

but don't you think, by now, reviewers should know PS3 is an inferrior console, and stop being harsh on its titles?

I mean, it's not like developers did NOT want all pro football & madden to run at 60 fps. From what it seems, it's obvious the hardware wasn't up to the task.

Magical_Zebra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Magical_Zebra
Member since 2003 • 7960 Posts
Blame the console and the (insert random insult) that created it. The devs are working with what they got. Everyone expects them to be Mcguyver but they are not. That antichrist of a console is to blame.
l3erserker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 l3erserker
Member since 2006 • 468 Posts

Mystery_Writer

no, as a matter of a fact, i think that it takes away from the sole purpose of gaming. Hardware doesnt make the game fun, gameplay does.

FatalDomain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 FatalDomain
Member since 2005 • 1783 Posts
[QUOTE="FatalDomain"]

Mystery_Writer

but don't you think, by now, reviewers should know PS3 is an inferrior console, and stop being harsh on its titles?

I mean, it's not like developers did NOT want all pro football & madden to run at 60 fps. From what it seems, it's obvious the hardware wasn't up to the task.

Believe it or not, some people still think that the PS3's issues are solely because of lazy devs and have nothing to do with hardware limitations....Of course those individuals will never admit that the PS3 is inferior by its own standards set by Sony.

Game On...

Mad_Rhetoric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Mad_Rhetoric
Member since 2005 • 3642 Posts
madden 08 was the second madden on ps3, not the first, so the "EA has not enough experience on ps3" argument fails
JAMES_L_BROOKS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 JAMES_L_BROOKS
Member since 2005 • 1463 Posts

pshh dont start a war with canada, or the cavilry will ride south...literaly i dont think we have tanks....jskjsk canadian forces rule were just small....but high tech, wiht our soon to be new airforce of JSF haha