Developers and publishers can profit more if they do this

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by super600 (30084 posts) -

A speech at the DICE summit by Jesse Schell talked about how it's bad to release a demo for a game because of the amount of money it costs to create one.

http://www.vg247.com/2013/02/11/releasing-a-game-demo-can-cut-your-sales-in-half-warns-schell/

I think this is a really bad idea because consumers should know the quality of a game with a demo.

#2 Posted by KodiakKoolaid (441 posts) -
It's their fault for making crap demos such as the tutorial levels or reduced difficulty or whatnot. If the demo is good, as in it actually represents the true core experience then it would help sales.
#3 Posted by seanmcloughlin (38194 posts) -

I'm not watching a 22 minute video lol

And I think all games should have demos, so many games I was unsure about that a demo really helped with,and some games I regret buying I could have avoided if a demo showed me what it was like.

I think they're afraid to make demos in case people don't like them and then don't buy the game. Where as if they have nothing and just buy it on a whim then it's money for the people who made it , even if the person dislikes the game

He talks about how trailers help more than demos to promote games, but trailers are terribly deceptive. Look at the SP trailer for BF3, actually made it look good, and it was a steaming turd

#4 Posted by The_Last_Ride (69531 posts) -
i don't play demo's, so i don't mind if they didn't
#5 Posted by blue_hazy_basic (27303 posts) -
Pretty simply if the game and demo are good it will help your sales, if not it will hurt them ...
#6 Posted by naz99 (1120 posts) -

developers and publishers can profit more if they play the long game and stop monetizing gamers at every turn...

Give it 4+ years and i bet a company like CD Project RED will be a heavy hitter simply because of their amazing buisness strategy which demands loyalty from gamers...any game from these guys is an instant buy from me and others now, even if it is not the type of game i want, as i wish to support great buisiness practices.

#7 Posted by LegatoSkyheart (24522 posts) -

HEY DEVELOPERS!

If the Demo is bad, that means YOUR GAME IS BAD!

If there's no Demo, there will be Videos and people will judge the game through that instead!

What are you going to do? No more Demos? So people can go in blind, only to find out you tricked them and the Game is utter crap?

Developers need to get the Crap off of the Save Method and actually make something worth my $60.

That's another factor, not everyone has $60 to shell out every darn week/launch day.

#8 Posted by k2theswiss (16598 posts) -

SO what the guy is saying is

IF there is no demo then the game sucks Because the publisher/devs don't want to show you how bad their game is

#9 Posted by k2theswiss (16598 posts) -

the guy is talk about how company deseive people and make them come back to make more money

he talks about the game demos at 10 minute mark. for like a minute or 2

not too shabby video play in the background and listen. He has a vaild point on the world of BS

#11 Posted by bobbetybob (19108 posts) -

What exactly are they basing this on? Because last time I checked you can't time travel to check what your sales would be if you didn't release the demo. And the fact that X amount of people are downloading a demo isn't indicative of anything, I've downloaded plenty of demos for games I had no intention of buying just to try them out.

EDIT: OK I watched the video, still isn't exactly great proof, how can make fair figures for that graph? Look at something like Call of Duty, that has no demo (until months later) and sells tons regardless, and then something like Crash Time has a demo for every crap game, is it really the demo that's making people not buy that game?

#12 Posted by airshocker (28694 posts) -

I've bought every game that had a demo that I enjoyed. If you make a good product, a demo will not hurt. It will help.

#13 Posted by GD1551 (9155 posts) -

The game industry is pretty backward. I don't see why they feel they should be exempt from services other industries provide. The fact that every game doesn't have a demo is criminal imo.

#14 Posted by Ilovegames1992 (14212 posts) -

I stopped playing demos a long time ago. Its rare i'll play a demo of a game i'm actually interested in.

#15 Posted by KungfuKitten (20744 posts) -

If you point a gun to our heads you make even more profit.
Anti-consumerism will lead to a crash if you try hard enough.

#16 Posted by mems_1224 (46139 posts) -
Pretty simply if the game and demo are good it will help your sales, if not it will hurt them ...blue_hazy_basic
Yea, plus not all games demo well. If my opinion of Spec Ops: The Line was formed purely off how good or bad the demo was then I never would have touched it and I would have missed out on a real gem.
#17 Posted by Frostbite24 (4534 posts) -

A speech at the DICE summit by Jesse Schell talked about how it's bad to release a demo for a game because of the amount of money it costs to create one.

http://www.vg247.com/2013/02/11/releasing-a-game-demo-can-cut-your-sales-in-half-warns-schell/

I think this is a really bad idea because consumers should know the quality of a game with a demo.

super600
I wonder if the majority of developers started to not offer demo's or public betas whether piracy would ncrease dramatically.
#18 Posted by k2theswiss (16598 posts) -

The game industry is pretty backward. I don't see why they feel they should be exempt from services other industries provide. The fact that every game doesn't have a demo is criminal imo.

GD1551
it really is. look at best selling games. none of them have demos...
#19 Posted by Rattlesnake_8 (18330 posts) -
I would rather that stop making demo's (many already have) and NOT take contents out of the game to release as day 1 dlc.
#20 Posted by JohnF111 (14046 posts) -
If there isn't a demo then I look at reviews and other users opinions, no demo tells me they didn't want to me knowing the quality beforehand, I see a demo as a way for the game to be showing off what it has to offer me.
#21 Posted by RR360DD (11491 posts) -
Having a demo for every XBLA seems to work pretty well. Good games generally sell well, and garbage games deservedly don't.
#22 Posted by KungfuKitten (20744 posts) -

Having a demo for every XBLA seems to work pretty well. Good games generally sell well, and garbage games deservedly don't. RR360DD
You may be on to something there. Maybe they shouldn't make so much generic multiplat trash and demo's wouldn't be such a detriment to their sales.