Deus Ex: Mankind Divided will let you stealth all encounters

This topic is locked from further discussion.

biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 60

User Lists: 0

#1 biggest_loser
Member since 2007 • 24508 Posts

http://www.vg247.com/2015/04/16/deus-ex-mankind-will-be-ghostable/

This includes bosses!

Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#2 Sushiglutton
Member since 2009 • 9853 Posts

What's the point? Why would you want to practically skip the bossfights?

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

Thats very nice but wheres the Co-Op ?

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Lulu_Lulu

@Sushiglutton:

Same reason you would want to beat Dark Souls without leveling up....... because you can...... stupid as that may be.

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

stealth is what i hated the most in HR and if they forcing your hand to stealth (if you want max amount of xp and unlock the most perks) i know for a fact ill enjoy it way less than i should.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#6 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

You wouldn't know it from the announcement trailer cuz it was all stabby.

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19568 Posts

That's an improvement on Deus Ex 3....but hopefully they remember to put in lots of alternate paths through the game, to make the stealth more interesting.

The stealth option in the previous game often felt like a round of 'spot the air vent'.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44557 Posts

Boring, last game stealth could be accomplished by throwing boxes at the wall, one guard goes to investigate, take-down, hide body, throw box again, only one guard comes in to investigate, knock out, hide body, rinse and repeat.

I'd prefer that stealth could be awarded with experience if say, you could hack a security system, turn it against your enemies, you rewards should be more than 10XP per kill vs 40XP or 50XP for the box stealth take-down method.

If they don't improve on the gameplay it's because everybody gave them a free pass on this game, about the only universally agreed upon criticism was the boss fights.

musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 1

#9 musicalmac  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 25098 Posts

I like it. It's different and the same (if you look back).

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#10 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14416 Posts

Better reward the action path the same this time.

Jankarcop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Jankarcop
Member since 2011 • 11058 Posts

@Sushiglutton said:

"Deus Ex: Human Revolution is considered by many to be a great game and worthy of bearing the franchise name. One of its grating issues though was its boss fights. You only had one way to fight them: be confrontational. The fights largely ignored your character build, which was a huge problem for those who specced theirs to be as stealthy as possible.

Deus Ex: Mankind Divided is not looking to repeat those mistakes,"

quatoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#12 quatoe
Member since 2005 • 7242 Posts

Well, I am day one now.

soulitane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 soulitane
Member since 2010 • 15091 Posts

@silversix_ said:

stealth is what i hated the most in HR and if they forcing your hand to stealth (if you want max amount of xp and unlock the most perks) i know for a fact ill enjoy it way less than i should.

That's something I've never understood with games. They should reward you for both with specific perks for each play type.

Avatar image for princeofshapeir
princeofshapeir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#14 princeofshapeir
Member since 2006 • 16652 Posts

Really hope the AI is much-improved. HR's enemies are pretty stupid.

Loading Video...

OneLazyAsian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By OneLazyAsian
Member since 2009 • 1715 Posts

@Jankarcop said:

@Sushiglutton said:

"Deus Ex: Human Revolution is considered by many to be a great game and worthy of bearing the franchise name. One of its grating issues though was its boss fights. You only had one way to fight them: be confrontational. The fights largely ignored your character build, which was a huge problem for those who specced theirs to be as stealthy as possible.

Deus Ex: Mankind Divided is not looking to repeat those mistakes,"

That's great to hear. When I first played the game, I put all my points into stealth so that I could ninja my way through the whole game. Then I met the boss and found out I couldn't get pass that without using weapons that were pretty bad without combat perks.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#16 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

@Sushiglutton said:

Pacifist runs, player enforced difficulty, and it's satisfying to do on a basic level.

Shooting your way through is barbaric, sneaking out of it makes the player feel witty.

archvile_78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 archvile_78
Member since 2007 • 8438 Posts

@Sushiglutton said:

It's just nice to have an option beyond "shoot everything in sight".

The missing link DLC in DE:HR did a good job at giving us the option to "ghost" the boss if we chose to.

thereal25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By thereal25
Member since 2011 • 2074 Posts

@Sushiglutton said:

Yeah, it's equivalent to using speech skills to avoid encounters in rpgs like fallout...

Beats me why someone would find that entertaining...

Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#19 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts
@thereal25 said:

@Sushiglutton said:

Yeah, it's equivalent to using speech skills to avoid encounters in rpgs like fallout...

Maybe because people want to have choices that actually matter?

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#20 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56088 Posts

Honestly, I hope they re-balance a bit so that full aggression feels like more of an option. Playing through, it felt like I was missing out on gobs of experience by not opening vents, hacking terminals, and stealth non-lethal takedowning everyone. Even the combat bonuses were geared towards headshotting everyone. Doing something like removing all XP for non-lethal takedowns might have done the trick.

I liked Dishonored's approach much more, in that many of the upgrades were centered around 'find this' or 'accomplish this', without penalizing your progression depending on your choice of tactics.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#21 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58929 Posts

Sadly, it looks like the third person console people mode is still in the game.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#22 Ghosts4ever
Member since 2015 • 24920 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:

third person mode still didnot ruined deus ex hr so this will be same

FrozenLiquid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#23 FrozenLiquid
Member since 2007 • 13555 Posts
@uninspiredcup said:

Third person camera isn't a "console" mode. If they want to implement a cover system, it's better they do third person than remain in first person.

I found it a better implementation than the lean function in the first game.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#24 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58929 Posts
@FrozenLiquid said:
@uninspiredcup said:

Third person camera isn't a "console" mode. If they want to implement a cover system, it's better they do third person than remain in first person.

Designed for control pad. Console people mode.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 jg4xchamp

@davillain- said:

Honestly, I hope they re-balance a bit so that full aggression feels like more of an option. Playing through, it felt like I was missing out on gobs of experience by not opening vents, hacking terminals, and stealth non-lethal takedowning everyone. Even the combat bonuses were geared towards headshotting everyone. Doing something like removing all XP for non-lethal takedowns might have done the trick.

I liked Dishonored's approach much more, in that many of the upgrades were centered around 'find this' or 'accomplish this', without penalizing your progression depending on your choice of tactics.

Now that's a cool fucking game, the pure stealth playthrough of that game sucks ass, but the actual toy box the game is delightful

Loading Video...

thereal25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By thereal25

@sSubZerOo said:
@thereal25 said:

@Sushiglutton said:

Killing npc's with gunz matters!

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 jg4xchamp

@thereal25 said:

@sSubZerOo said:
@thereal25 said:

without making it a "matter" thing, in general it adds to the replay value of the game. It gives you the sense that each playthrough doesn't have to play out a certain way. It also adds to the immersion of the game, if I'm trying to make some silver tongued, elegant mother fucker, I can actually do that when the RPG allows me to talk my way out of shit. Or I can make a gun slinging outlaw, or I can make Sam Fisher and be a ghost, etc.

It adds a level of depth to the gameplay and creates a cohesion with the narrative aspects. You sort of lose that when the plot is doing one thing, but your gameplay forces you to do another.

verbalfilth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 verbalfilth
Member since 2006 • 5043 Posts

Not only should it be ghostable but the decision not to kill bossess should affect the game. Imagine not killing a boss and having that boss come back and do something irreversible...like killing important npcs and stuff and locking out some quests or creating new quest lines. Not only does it give you the option to ghost... But it makes you question wehether you should.

That would be awesome.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Lulu_Lulu

@verbalfilth:

If the boss locks out quests then it locks out anyway rewards you wouldve gotten from completing those quests....... making killing the bosses a better option.

verbalfilth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By verbalfilth

@Lulu_Lulu:

That would be a silly design choice if they did that. They need to balance out the risk vs reward. Like i mentioned in my post; It may lock out some quests but it may create new ones. It will encourage multiple playthroughs with multiple play styles. I personally dont want ghosting for the sake of ghosting, the decisions of who you kill or let live should have ramifications on how the game progresses. If they do this effectively they''ll have a winner on their hands imo.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Lulu_Lulu

@verbalfilth:

Yeah its silly but it does happen...... anyway will the rewards in the new quests be of equal value as the locked away quests ?

Basicly what I'm saying will there ve superior decisions in both gameplay and narrative ?

verbalfilth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By verbalfilth

@Lulu_Lulu:

Sure, why not?

Killing a particular boss might reap better rewards than ghosting past them. Maybe another boss would have the opposite effect. Maybe killing or ghosting a specific boss would have zero effect. That is what will make it super fun. I think a lot of people would appreciate that unless they are the type of people who play games initially with walkthroughs.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Lulu_Lulu

@verbalfilth:

Nope..... not me...... I would optomize the most out of each scenario always by choosing whatever option yields better rewards...... I don't like playing that way but I do play like that regardless......

verbalfilth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 verbalfilth

@Lulu_Lulu:

how would you know which option yields the best result until youve played through it multiple times and compared each outcome? The only way to know that is if you save cheat or you're using walkthroughs. Also i accidentally flagged you and removed it. Sorry if that did anything. Im using a cell at work so my accuracy is crap.

Jankarcop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Jankarcop

@jg4xchamp said:

@davillain- said:

Now that's a cool fucking game, the pure stealth playthrough of that game sucks ass, but the actual toy box the game is delightful

Dishonered handled first person stealth much better, none of that 3rd person switching every second.

It also handled melee much better, you can actually attack as you want while also having first-person take-downs as well. DX:HR turned melee "combat" into pure 3rd person take down button taps. Dumb.

blueinheaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 blueinheaven
Member since 2008 • 5554 Posts

It's always been a mystery to me why people load up a game then try to 'sneak' past the gameplay as though it's something to be avoided. Weird. I just hope it's not forced stealth i.e. no exp penalties for just shooting every fucker in the face yes I'm looking at you Deus Ex HR.

Jankarcop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Jankarcop

@blueinheaven said:

It's always been a mystery to me why people load up a game then try to 'sneak' past the gameplay as though it's something to be avoided. Weird. I just hope it's not forced stealth i.e. no exp penalties for just shooting every fucker in the face yes I'm looking at you Deus Ex HR.

The sneaking IS the gameplay. People like stealth games for a reason. Nothing weird about a gameplay style that was heavily used in the series since DX1.

But I do hope this game makes it so all play styles are give the same exp. Penalizing or bonuses for your play-style kinda sucks. Ghosting, stealth, combat and any mix of those should be equally awarded.

And please god I hope real melee is back, like how Deus Ex and Dishonered had it....rather literally QTE buttons of HR. As an Augmented Superman, I wanna swing around those arm-blades myself.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Lulu_Lulu

@verbalfilth:

I always play through multiple times and compare the results.

blueinheaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 blueinheaven
Member since 2008 • 5554 Posts

@Jankarcop said:

@blueinheaven said:

The sneaking IS the gameplay. People like stealth games for a reason. Nothing weird about a gameplay style that was heavily used in the series since DX1.

But I do hope this game makes it so all play styles are give the same exp. Penalizing or bonuses for your play-style kinda sucks. Ghosting, stealth, combat and any mix of those should be equally awarded.

And please god I hope real melee is back, like how Deus Ex and Dishonered had it....rather literally QTE buttons of HR. As an Augmented Superman, I wanna swing around those arm-blades myself.

What I said was tongue in cheek really I realise it's a game that traditionally has heavy stealth elements but I really love the concept and plot and general gameplay and would love it if they didn't penalise me for not playing the game the way the designers want me to play it. The original Deus Ex was much more forgiving, it has changed a lot since.

verbalfilth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 verbalfilth

@Lulu_Lulu:

exactly.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Lulu_Lulu

@verbalfilth:

That kinda sucks.

santoron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#42 santoron
Member since 2006 • 8584 Posts

Cautiously optimistic. Let's see it in action.

thereal25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 thereal25

@jg4xchamp said:

@thereal25 said:

@sSubZerOo said:
@thereal25 said:

without making it a "matter" thing, in general it adds to the replay value of the game. It gives you the sense that each playthrough doesn't have to play out a certain way. It also adds to the immersion of the game, if I'm trying to make some silver tongued, elegant mother fucker, I can actually do that when the RPG allows me to talk my way out of shit. Or I can make a gun slinging outlaw, or I can make Sam Fisher and be a ghost, etc.

It adds a level of depth to the gameplay and creates a cohesion with the narrative aspects. You sort of lose that when the plot is doing one thing, but your gameplay forces you to do another.

Yeah, I'm not necessarily against it.

I just don't see the appeal.

Also, due to the fact that sneaking/talking through everything is incredibly unrealistic - it usually catches up with you in most games if you rely on that approach.

Because when you DO have to face someone - guaranteed you'll be unprepared!

Besides, I just don't find it very satisfying. The fun in games for me is finding cool loot and then getting to actually use it.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

@thereal25 said:

@jg4xchamp said:

@thereal25 said:

@sSubZerOo said:
@thereal25 said:

Also, due to the fact that sneaking/talking through everything is incredibly unrealistic - it usually catches up with you in most games if you rely on that approach.

Besides, I just don't find it very satisfying. The fun in games for me is finding cool loot and then getting to actually use it.

Luckily for the rest of us, it isn't just about YOU.

Jankarcop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Jankarcop

@thereal25 said:

Well I'm glad they aren't trying to cater to one opinion. From interviews it seems they want you to be able to ghost, stealth, combat equally as well. That is what DX is about.

Also, you have to remember a lot of cool items and/or powers help you sneak or ghost in any game with stealth worth its salt. So that sense of finding cool stuff is still there.