Destiny review copies going out on the day before release

• 54 results
#1 Posted by jg4xchamp (47389 posts) -

http://www.polygon.com/forums/destiny/2014/9/2/6097679/a-note-from-the-reviews-editor-no-release-day-destiny-review

Bungie the terrific beyond reproach studio that they are, that have totally never under-delivered in any capacity, will not have review copies out for timely reviews.

Why make this a thread? Well in general high profile games usually offset doubt with you know, a relatively late embargo, but with Destiny it's straight up trying to avoid day one reviews. Could be because the game is mmo-lite and stuff, but that's a bunch of hokum after a certain point, if the game is supposed to be legit, why have little faith in it?

Carry on my friends.

#2 Posted by Kjranu (921 posts) -

Destiny has always had been a wait and see game rather than day one. Too bad a bunch of preorderers didn't get the memo.

#3 Posted by CrownKingArthur (4432 posts) -

selling on hype (not merit) seems like the way to go these days.

#4 Posted by RR360DD (11616 posts) -

Not a good sign is it

#5 Posted by treedoor (7648 posts) -

Console gamers don't buy games based off reviews anyways.

It's all about whether or not the game is advertised on tv.

#6 Posted by getyeryayasout (7179 posts) -

It's a game that's tethered to online play, I'm not sure I would really trust any day one reviews.

#7 Posted by Shewgenja (8466 posts) -

@Kjranu said:

Destiny has always had been a wait and see game rather than day one. Too bad a bunch of preorderers didn't get the memo.

They got the open beta instead..

#8 Posted by Bigboi500 (29352 posts) -

It's a game that's tethered to online play, I'm not sure I would really trust any day one reviews.

Stop making sense and get mad at Bungie. Get mad, damn you.

#9 Posted by Crypt_mx (3960 posts) -

@Kjranu said:

The pre-order let people play the Beta, if you didn't like it you could cancel the pre-order and be done with it. But lots of people still love it, myself included. My experience in the beta gave me only more faith in the final release. Destiny is one of the biggest game launches ever, its receiving just as much un-warranted hate as it is un-warranted praise.

#10 Edited by jg4xchamp (47389 posts) -

MMO's that have been tethered to online play have had review codes come out way earlier than what Bungie's game is doing.

Plus let's be real, given how many review copies go out, early access to their play testers (bungie has always done this), and all that jazz: They could have had servers and online ready to go for reviewers way before a day before release.

#11 Posted by kingtito (4861 posts) -

A beta is not a review copy. You don't give full reviews based on a beta. A game of such magnitude should have early review copies sent out unless Bungie doesn't want you to know what reviewers think.

#12 Edited by RoboCopISJesus (1408 posts) -

@jg4xchamp said:

@getyeryayasout said:

MMO's that have been tethered to online play have had review codes come out way earlier than what Bungie's game is doing.

Well it's not a MMO. It's more like diablo3, path of exile, borderlands, hellgate, GW1, etc. Coop RPG.

#13 Edited by getyeryayasout (7179 posts) -

@jg4xchamp said:

@getyeryayasout said:

Plus let's be real, given how many review copies go out, early access to their play testers (bungie has always done this), and all that jazz: They could have had servers and online ready to go for reviewers way before a day before release.

They could have it ready to a degree, but there's no way to replicate what the game will be like when the servers are under a full load. I agree that it seems sketchy that reviewers aren't getting copies until the day before, I'm just saying that maybe there's a method to their madness.

#14 Edited by Animal-Mother (26554 posts) -

That is not a good sign. Bungie however is a top tier studio so i'm not worried in the least.

#15 Posted by jg4xchamp (47389 posts) -

@jg4xchamp said:

@getyeryayasout said:

Well it's not a MMO. It's more like diablo3, path of exile, borderlands, hellgate, GW1, etc. Coop RPG.

Diablo 3 (2 weeks earlier in the case of the most recent Diablo 3 expansion), Borderlands 2, Guild Wars 1 had review codes sent out earlier than the day before. Point is being tethered to online play isn't really something that doesn't have a work around in 2014. Could it be server or last minute changes they want to do? sure, I can buy that, but because it's an online experience? they could easily set that up given how many sites, magazines, and youtube channels they can send that game to.

#16 Posted by R3FURBISHED (10350 posts) -

@jg4xchamp: This might be the reason: Bungie Weekly Update

ninjadragonkllr What time will the servers be open for the public in North America and worldwide?

When it is September 9th somewhere in the world, and you have access to your very own version of Destiny, it will be time for you to create a character that will keep you company for a good, long time. Retailers will stick to time-zones. Our servers won’t know the difference. Retailers will break street date. Our servers won’t.

#17 Posted by jg4xchamp (47389 posts) -

ninjadragonkllr What time will the servers be open for the public in North America and worldwide?

When it is September 9th somewhere in the world, and you have access to your very own version of Destiny, it will be time for you to create a character that will keep you company for a good, long time. Retailers will stick to time-zones. Our servers won’t know the difference. Retailers will break street date. Our servers won’t.

Which then begs the question, why not have those servers up before hand?

It's not like they wouldn't get a respectable amount of traffic that could work out the game.

#18 Posted by silversix_ (14082 posts) -

Im excited for the game but if its an epic failure ill laugh and move on. I want it to be good tho because other than Wasteland 2 there's nothing until Dragon Age

#19 Posted by darkspineslayer (19551 posts) -

Oooh....that's never a good sign.

#20 Posted by R3FURBISHED (10350 posts) -

@R3FURBISHED said:

It's not like they wouldn't get a respectable amount of traffic that could work out the game.

The only thing that comes to mind is because the launch is Sep 9, not 8 or 7 or 6.

But I don't know.

#21 Posted by jg4xchamp (47389 posts) -

@jg4xchamp said:

@R3FURBISHED said:

The only thing that comes to mind is because the launch is Sep 9, not 8 or 7 or 6.

But I don't know.

Review codes for most big games go out before the release date, even when they have an online component. In fact the online servers are usually up for the sake of review codes, so this doesn't exactly fly as justification.

#22 Posted by R3FURBISHED (10350 posts) -

Review codes for most big games go out before the release date, even when they have an online component. In fact the online servers are usually up for the sake of review codes, so this doesn't exactly fly as justification.

"most" and "usually"

Bungie isn't turning their servers on till "it is September 9th somewhere in the world" that is the reason review copies aren't going out early to me.

#23 Edited by Heil68 (43465 posts) -

I didn't like demo so I'm not getting it at all until much later on.

#24 Edited by jg4xchamp (47389 posts) -

@jg4xchamp said:

"most" and "usually"

Bungie isn't turning their servers on till "it is September 9th somewhere in the world" that is the reason review copies aren't going out early to me.

Which again in 2014 has an easy work around, you just turn them on and send out review copies.

#25 Posted by Blabadon (25949 posts) -

They had an Alpha and Beta, I'm sure there's nothing crazy going on.

That being said, the amount of coverage certain sites like IGN are doing for it already show me which reviews not to trust.

#26 Posted by Zero5000X (8188 posts) -

StarCraft II didn't have review copies sent out at all (reviews bought their own copies), and that game was awesome. Destiny is a game meant to be played with other people, so having reviewers play alone or with very few other people wouldn't make much sense.

#27 Posted by GTSaiyanjin2 (5816 posts) -

I dont see the problem with this, if you really want a fair review of the game then wait. We dont want another fiasco like what happened with BF4, where reviewers got to play the game in a controlled environment, and servers were different than what the game shipped with.

#28 Posted by mems_1224 (46585 posts) -

It will still get high reviews unless they go full EA and the game doesn't work for half a year.

#29 Posted by skipper847 (3169 posts) -

Game spot user score 8.3 not bad imo.

#30 Edited by DEadliNE-Zero0 (1390 posts) -

@CrownKingArthur said:

Just look at Watch Doge. In fact, marketing gets a bigger budget than the actual development nowadays anyway.

HYPE!!!!

#31 Posted by freedomfreak (39206 posts) -

ALWAYS A GOOD SIGN

Still got this slut preordered. Got a very good friend to play it with. Hell, I played a lot of stuff with him. @wolverine4262 my GOAT.

Bring on Bungielands.

#32 Edited by Daious (1125 posts) -

They aren't going to open a mmo type game a week in advance for people. That would require them to open the servers up for the game. Servers are offline until the 8th.

Co-op play would be non-existent. Competitive multiplayer would be non-existent.

I love how people are trying to claim bungie is hiding something.

#33 Posted by inb4uall (5358 posts) -

Incoming flop.

#34 Posted by Bruin1986 (1236 posts) -

@getyeryayasout said:

It's obviously because they are evil and hate gamers.

They are essentially North Korea, but somehow in Washington State.

#35 Posted by Bruin1986 (1236 posts) -

They have more than enough merit coming from nearly two decades of making high-quality, critically acclaimed titles repeatedly...

#36 Edited by JangoWuzHere (16129 posts) -

There is still a decent amount of content to experience without the need for online play.

#37 Edited by CrownKingArthur (4432 posts) -

@CrownKingArthur said:

They have more than enough merit coming from nearly two decades of making high-quality, critically acclaimed titles repeatedly...

that merit is entirely independent of this game. many times before people have hyped games based on the pedigree of the developer.

i won't join you in making such an assumption.

#38 Posted by Couth_ (10016 posts) -

@getyeryayasout said:

Why would anyone be mad at bungie? They clearly want to hide what many people realized in the beta. It lacks diverse content and is just not that fun in design.

LOL at 3 planets only.. Pre order cancelled. I will get it 1 or 2 years later when they include all the other planets that the day 1ers fronted money for through DLC in one nice package. Not mad at them for that. Activision has thought of a simple way to get WoW money out of a shooter. neat for them

#39 Edited by funsohng (27614 posts) -

This whole late embargo and the late review copies thing is really not good for the industry's health.

Honest, professional, timely criticism is absolutely crucial for an entertainment industry. Even Hollywood doesn't touch this. Gaming industry really is corrupt from the inside. Something needs to change.

#40 Posted by chernoalpha527 (124 posts) -

This game will flop

#41 Edited by getyeryayasout (7179 posts) -

@getyeryayasout said:

There is still a decent amount of content to experience without the need for online play.

It's a review though, Jango. It should be all encompassing, shouldn't it? I was listening to podcast Beyond! episode #357 from IGN last night and briefly Colin Moriarty and Greg Miller made mention of how different the experience of playing review copy online games and playing them after retail release can be. You'll have to either listen to it or take my word for it though, I've tried to find the time stamp for the 2 or 3 sentence discussion but can't, sorry.

#42 Edited by Bigboi500 (29352 posts) -

@Couth_ said:

@Bigboi500 said:

@getyeryayasout said:

Why would anyone be mad at bungie? They clearly want to hide what many people realized in the beta. It lacks diverse content and is just not that fun in design.

LOL at 3 planets only.. Pre order cancelled. I will get it 1 or 2 years later when they include all the other planets that the day 1ers fronted money for through DLC in one nice package. Not mad at them for that. Activision has thought of a simple way to get WoW money out of a shooter. neat for them

Whatever floats your boat, if money is an issue. Me and my Starhawk clan (the boys) are gonna no-life the hell out of it from day one.

Yehaw.

#43 Posted by Icarian (1474 posts) -

No surprise there. It's basically an MMO and those take awhile to review and need bigger community playing it.

#44 Posted by charizard1605 (56065 posts) -
#45 Posted by lundy86_4 (43010 posts) -

I'm not overly surprised given the nature of the game. Still, that being said, I don't know i that is the reason why they are shipping review copies so late.

#46 Posted by wolverine4262 (19054 posts) -

They must have been pretty confident to do an open beta, the reason I bought it.

#47 Edited by GhoX (4801 posts) -

It doesn't really matter. The review copies are probably there just so that the reviewers get to set things up before launch. Like any other MMO, true reviewing can only start after official launch.

#48 Posted by sailor232 (4450 posts) -

I was impressed they had an open beta, I wasn't too impressed with the game but it still tempts me greatly to pick it up. Having a character and getting gear and weapons is what is pulling me in.

#49 Posted by Couth_ (10016 posts) -

@Couth_ said:

Whatever floats your boat, if money is an issue. Me and my Starhawk clan (the boys) are gonna no-life the hell out of it from day one.

Yehaw.

It's more of a lack of comprehensiveness for me. I already got tired of Russia during just the alpha and I expect the other 3 planets to grow OLD quickly as well. I would rather have more content from the onset of my play through instead of waiting for the DLC

#50 Posted by wolverine4262 (19054 posts) -