Destiny review copies going out on the day before release

• 58 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 0

#1 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

http://www.polygon.com/forums/destiny/2014/9/2/6097679/a-note-from-the-reviews-editor-no-release-day-destiny-review

Bungie the terrific beyond reproach studio that they are, that have totally never under-delivered in any capacity, will not have review copies out for timely reviews.

Why make this a thread? Well in general high profile games usually offset doubt with you know, a relatively late embargo, but with Destiny it's straight up trying to avoid day one reviews. Could be because the game is mmo-lite and stuff, but that's a bunch of hokum after a certain point, if the game is supposed to be legit, why have little faith in it?

Carry on my friends.

Kjranu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 Kjranu
Member since 2012 • 1802 Posts

Destiny has always had been a wait and see game rather than day one. Too bad a bunch of preorderers didn't get the memo.

Avatar image for CrownKingArthur
CrownKingArthur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 CrownKingArthur
Member since 2013 • 5262 Posts

selling on hype (not merit) seems like the way to go these days.

RR360DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 RR360DD
Member since 2011 • 14099 Posts

Not a good sign is it

treedoor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 treedoor
Member since 2004 • 7648 Posts

Console gamers don't buy games based off reviews anyways.

It's all about whether or not the game is advertised on tv.

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

@Kjranu said:

Destiny has always had been a wait and see game rather than day one. Too bad a bunch of preorderers didn't get the memo.

They got the open beta instead..

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#8 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

@getyeryayasout said:

It's a game that's tethered to online play, I'm not sure I would really trust any day one reviews.

Stop making sense and get mad at Bungie. Get mad, damn you.

Crypt_mx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Crypt_mx
Member since 2007 • 4739 Posts

@Kjranu said:

The pre-order let people play the Beta, if you didn't like it you could cancel the pre-order and be done with it. But lots of people still love it, myself included. My experience in the beta gave me only more faith in the final release. Destiny is one of the biggest game launches ever, its receiving just as much un-warranted hate as it is un-warranted praise.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By jg4xchamp

@getyeryayasout said:

It's a game that's tethered to online play, I'm not sure I would really trust any day one reviews.

MMO's that have been tethered to online play have had review codes come out way earlier than what Bungie's game is doing.

Plus let's be real, given how many review copies go out, early access to their play testers (bungie has always done this), and all that jazz: They could have had servers and online ready to go for reviewers way before a day before release.

kingtito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 kingtito
Member since 2003 • 11775 Posts

A beta is not a review copy. You don't give full reviews based on a beta. A game of such magnitude should have early review copies sent out unless Bungie doesn't want you to know what reviewers think.

RoboCopISJesus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By RoboCopISJesus
Member since 2004 • 2225 Posts

@jg4xchamp said:

@getyeryayasout said:

MMO's that have been tethered to online play have had review codes come out way earlier than what Bungie's game is doing.

Well it's not a MMO. It's more like diablo3, path of exile, borderlands, hellgate, GW1, etc. Coop RPG.

Animal-Mother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#14  Edited By Animal-Mother
Member since 2003 • 27362 Posts

That is not a good sign. Bungie however is a top tier studio so i'm not worried in the least.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 jg4xchamp

@RoboCopISJesus said:

@jg4xchamp said:

@getyeryayasout said:

Well it's not a MMO. It's more like diablo3, path of exile, borderlands, hellgate, GW1, etc. Coop RPG.

Diablo 3 (2 weeks earlier in the case of the most recent Diablo 3 expansion), Borderlands 2, Guild Wars 1 had review codes sent out earlier than the day before. Point is being tethered to online play isn't really something that doesn't have a work around in 2014. Could it be server or last minute changes they want to do? sure, I can buy that, but because it's an online experience? they could easily set that up given how many sites, magazines, and youtube channels they can send that game to.

R3FURBISHED

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#16 R3FURBISHED
Member since 2008 • 12408 Posts

@jg4xchamp: This might be the reason: Bungie Weekly Update

ninjadragonkllr What time will the servers be open for the public in North America and worldwide?

When it is September 9th somewhere in the world, and you have access to your very own version of Destiny, it will be time for you to create a character that will keep you company for a good, long time. Retailers will stick to time-zones. Our servers won’t know the difference. Retailers will break street date. Our servers won’t.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 jg4xchamp

@R3FURBISHED said:

ninjadragonkllr What time will the servers be open for the public in North America and worldwide?

When it is September 9th somewhere in the world, and you have access to your very own version of Destiny, it will be time for you to create a character that will keep you company for a good, long time. Retailers will stick to time-zones. Our servers won’t know the difference. Retailers will break street date. Our servers won’t.

Which then begs the question, why not have those servers up before hand?

It's not like they wouldn't get a respectable amount of traffic that could work out the game.

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

Im excited for the game but if its an epic failure ill laugh and move on. I want it to be good tho because other than Wasteland 2 there's nothing until Dragon Age

Avatar image for deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#19 deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
Member since 2007 • 22399 Posts

Oooh....that's never a good sign.

R3FURBISHED

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 R3FURBISHED

@jg4xchamp said:

@R3FURBISHED said:

It's not like they wouldn't get a respectable amount of traffic that could work out the game.

The only thing that comes to mind is because the launch is Sep 9, not 8 or 7 or 6.

But I don't know.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 jg4xchamp

@R3FURBISHED said:

@jg4xchamp said:

@R3FURBISHED said:

The only thing that comes to mind is because the launch is Sep 9, not 8 or 7 or 6.

But I don't know.

Review codes for most big games go out before the release date, even when they have an online component. In fact the online servers are usually up for the sake of review codes, so this doesn't exactly fly as justification.

R3FURBISHED

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 R3FURBISHED

@jg4xchamp said:

Review codes for most big games go out before the release date, even when they have an online component. In fact the online servers are usually up for the sake of review codes, so this doesn't exactly fly as justification.

"most" and "usually"

Bungie isn't turning their servers on till "it is September 9th somewhere in the world" that is the reason review copies aren't going out early to me.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60713 Posts

I didn't like demo so I'm not getting it at all until much later on.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By jg4xchamp

@R3FURBISHED said:

@jg4xchamp said:

"most" and "usually"

Bungie isn't turning their servers on till "it is September 9th somewhere in the world" that is the reason review copies aren't going out early to me.

Which again in 2014 has an easy work around, you just turn them on and send out review copies.

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#25 Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts

They had an Alpha and Beta, I'm sure there's nothing crazy going on.

That being said, the amount of coverage certain sites like IGN are doing for it already show me which reviews not to trust.

Zero5000X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Zero5000X
Member since 2004 • 8314 Posts

StarCraft II didn't have review copies sent out at all (reviews bought their own copies), and that game was awesome. Destiny is a game meant to be played with other people, so having reviewers play alone or with very few other people wouldn't make much sense.

GTSaiyanjin2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 GTSaiyanjin2
Member since 2005 • 6018 Posts

I dont see the problem with this, if you really want a fair review of the game then wait. We dont want another fiasco like what happened with BF4, where reviewers got to play the game in a controlled environment, and servers were different than what the game shipped with.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts

It will still get high reviews unless they go full EA and the game doesn't work for half a year.

skipper847

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#29 skipper847
Member since 2006 • 7334 Posts

Game spot user score 8.3 not bad imo.

DEadliNE-Zero0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#30  Edited By DEadliNE-Zero0
Member since 2014 • 6607 Posts

@CrownKingArthur said:

Just look at Watch Doge. In fact, marketing gets a bigger budget than the actual development nowadays anyway.

HYPE!!!!

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52426 Posts

ALWAYS A GOOD SIGN

Still got this slut preordered. Got a very good friend to play it with. Hell, I played a lot of stuff with him. @wolverine4262 my GOAT.

Bring on Bungielands.

Daious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Daious
Member since 2013 • 2315 Posts

They aren't going to open a mmo type game a week in advance for people. That would require them to open the servers up for the game. Servers are offline until the 8th.

Co-op play would be non-existent. Competitive multiplayer would be non-existent.

I love how people are trying to claim bungie is hiding something.

inb4uall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 inb4uall
Member since 2012 • 6564 Posts

Incoming flop.

Bruin1986

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Bruin1986
Member since 2007 • 1629 Posts

@jg4xchamp said:

@getyeryayasout said:

Plus let's be real, given how many review copies go out, early access to their play testers (bungie has always done this), and all that jazz: They could have had servers and online ready to go for reviewers way before a day before release.

It's obviously because they are evil and hate gamers.

They are essentially North Korea, but somehow in Washington State.

Bruin1986

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Bruin1986
Member since 2007 • 1629 Posts

@CrownKingArthur said:

They have more than enough merit coming from nearly two decades of making high-quality, critically acclaimed titles repeatedly...

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By JangoWuzHere
Member since 2007 • 19032 Posts

@getyeryayasout said:

There is still a decent amount of content to experience without the need for online play.

Avatar image for CrownKingArthur
CrownKingArthur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By CrownKingArthur
Member since 2013 • 5262 Posts
@Bruin1986 said:

@CrownKingArthur said:

They have more than enough merit coming from nearly two decades of making high-quality, critically acclaimed titles repeatedly...

that merit is entirely independent of this game. many times before people have hyped games based on the pedigree of the developer.

i won't join you in making such an assumption.

Couth_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Couth_
Member since 2008 • 10369 Posts

@Bigboi500 said:

@getyeryayasout said:

Why would anyone be mad at bungie? They clearly want to hide what many people realized in the beta. It lacks diverse content and is just not that fun in design.

LOL at 3 planets only.. Pre order cancelled. I will get it 1 or 2 years later when they include all the other planets that the day 1ers fronted money for through DLC in one nice package. Not mad at them for that. Activision has thought of a simple way to get WoW money out of a shooter. neat for them

funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By funsohng
Member since 2005 • 29976 Posts

This whole late embargo and the late review copies thing is really not good for the industry's health.

Honest, professional, timely criticism is absolutely crucial for an entertainment industry. Even Hollywood doesn't touch this. Gaming industry really is corrupt from the inside. Something needs to change.

chernoalpha527

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#40 chernoalpha527
Member since 2013 • 169 Posts

This game will flop

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#42  Edited By Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

@Couth_ said:

@Bigboi500 said:

@getyeryayasout said:

Why would anyone be mad at bungie? They clearly want to hide what many people realized in the beta. It lacks diverse content and is just not that fun in design.

LOL at 3 planets only.. Pre order cancelled. I will get it 1 or 2 years later when they include all the other planets that the day 1ers fronted money for through DLC in one nice package. Not mad at them for that. Activision has thought of a simple way to get WoW money out of a shooter. neat for them

Whatever floats your boat, if money is an issue. Me and my Starhawk clan (the boys) are gonna no-life the hell out of it from day one.

Yehaw.

Avatar image for deactivated-660c2894dc19c
deactivated-660c2894dc19c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#43 deactivated-660c2894dc19c
Member since 2004 • 2190 Posts

No surprise there. It's basically an MMO and those take awhile to review and need bigger community playing it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#44 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

@Basinboy I told you.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#45 lundy86_4  Online
Member since 2003 • 61479 Posts

I'm not overly surprised given the nature of the game. Still, that being said, I don't know i that is the reason why they are shipping review copies so late.

wolverine4262

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 wolverine4262
Member since 2004 • 20832 Posts

They must have been pretty confident to do an open beta, the reason I bought it.

GhoX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#47  Edited By GhoX
Member since 2006 • 6267 Posts

It doesn't really matter. The review copies are probably there just so that the reviewers get to set things up before launch. Like any other MMO, true reviewing can only start after official launch.

sailor232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#48 sailor232
Member since 2003 • 6880 Posts

I was impressed they had an open beta, I wasn't too impressed with the game but it still tempts me greatly to pick it up. Having a character and getting gear and weapons is what is pulling me in.

Couth_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Couth_
Member since 2008 • 10369 Posts

@Bigboi500 said:

@Couth_ said:

Whatever floats your boat, if money is an issue. Me and my Starhawk clan (the boys) are gonna no-life the hell out of it from day one.

Yehaw.

It's more of a lack of comprehensiveness for me. I already got tired of Russia during just the alpha and I expect the other 3 planets to grow OLD quickly as well. I would rather have more content from the onset of my play through instead of waiting for the DLC

wolverine4262

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 wolverine4262
Member since 2004 • 20832 Posts

@freedomfreak: :oops: