Destiny held back by 360 and PS3?

#1 Posted by Shielder7 (5191 posts) -

Do you think Destiny is being held back by 360 and PS3? I don't just mean graphics, I mean there putting it one systems with under a Gig of Ram you'd think they'd also have to make sacrifices with AI, player limit, size of the maps complexity etc.

Any hardware know it all's that have more insight into this want to fill in the blanks be my guest.

#2 Edited by BldgIrsh (3011 posts) -

Well the 30 FPS alone was the idea of making it cross-gen and an "even" playing field for past and current gen. This was recently revoked due to "pixel advantages." Something about the difference from seeing 2 pixels and 4 pixels would make it an unfair advantage. But, the 30 FPS is still staying for current gen.

#3 Edited by Shielder7 (5191 posts) -

@bldgirsh said:

Well the 30 FPS alone was the idea of making it cross-gen and an "even" playing field for past and current gen. This was recently revoked due to "pixel advantages." Something about the difference from seeing 2 pixels and 4 pixels would make it an unfair advantage. But, the 30 FPS is still staying for current gen.

wasn't it also from the draw distance? I'm not sure.

#4 Posted by silversix_ (16552 posts) -

The question doesn't need an answer because its very obvious. yes its held back

#5 Posted by lawlessx (47332 posts) -

that should be very obvious

#6 Edited by BldgIrsh (3011 posts) -

@Shielder7: If they said that. I'd be fine with the excuse but, from what I'm reading its just because of a pixel advantage.

http://www.polygon.com/2014/7/18/5916187/destiny-doesnt-have-cross-platform-play-so-last-gen-players-arent-at

"I have a disadvantage sniping across the map because [my opponent with a newer console] is only two pixels on my screen and I'm four pixels on his..."

Which was the whole reason about the 30 FPS on the current gen. So is it capable of 60 FPS or did they know that it wasn't capable and used "cross-gen" as a excuse to having it while knowing ahead of time that cross-gen wasn't going to ever happen?

Either way this is one of many examples of past-gen holding up the current gen.

#7 Posted by Bruin1986 (1446 posts) -

Of course. Getting Destiny to run on decade-old hardware, which are essentially TI-83 calculators by 2014 standards, is going to negatively effect the final product.

My question is when are they going to end support? Destiny is supposed to be a decade long project and there is no way they are going to continue PS3/360 support into the 2020s.

#8 Edited by BldgIrsh (3011 posts) -

@Bruin1986: "Rumours" state that they're already planning to make sequels. I quote rumours because it's not official but it's been quoted from an activision rep saying along the lines that sequels are a possibility and that they'll use your character progression for the sequels.

#9 Posted by Shielder7 (5191 posts) -

@Bruin1986 said:

Of course. Getting Destiny to run on decade-old hardware, which are essentially TI-83 calculators by 2014 standards, is going to negatively effect the final product.

My question is when are they going to end support? Destiny is supposed to be a decade long project and there is no way they are going to continue PS3/360 support into the 2020s.

supposed to be and what actually is are two different thing. They could just be pulling everyones chain on that.

#10 Posted by JangoWuzHere (17702 posts) -

Yes

Destiny does not feel like a next gen title. The long and frequent load times are the biggest draw back.

#11 Posted by R3FURBISHED (10920 posts) -

@Shielder7 said:

Do you think Destiny is being held back by 360 and PS3?

I think Destiny 2 will not be on the PS3 and 360 and thus will be considerably more impressive than Destiny launching this year. In that respect, yes.

#12 Posted by handssss (1899 posts) -

@JangoWuzHere said:

Yes

Destiny does not feel like a next gen title. The long and frequent load times are the biggest draw back.

the load times when you decide to travel to a different planet? The earth map was huge and I don't recall it having any loading times.

#13 Edited by Heirren (19298 posts) -

of course it is held back why do you think we are getting the hd remaster on ps4?

#14 Posted by RoboCopISJesus (1747 posts) -

Almost every next gen multiplat: held back by Xbone and PS4.

#15 Posted by ShoTTyMcNaDeS (2751 posts) -

Destiny is being held back by the 360 and PS3 for certain, but Bungie had to make it for those consoles just because of pure distribution and maximizing their $$$ so that they can make Destiny 2, 3, 4 and so on!!

#16 Posted by SolidTy (46193 posts) -

@Shielder7 said:

Do you think Destiny is being held back by 360 and PS3? I don't just mean graphics, I mean there putting it one systems with under a Gig of Ram you'd think they'd also have to make sacrifices with AI, player limit, size of the maps complexity etc.

Any hardware know it all's that have more insight into this want to fill in the blanks be my guest.

Yes, it is being held back. It's primarily a PS360 game.

Still, many good games exist as PS360 games, but it is being held back on PS4/Xbone.

#17 Edited by JangoWuzHere (17702 posts) -

@handssss said:

@JangoWuzHere said:

Yes

the load times when you decide to travel to a different planet? The earth map was huge and I don't recall it having any loading times.

Traveling to different planets can take about an entire minute. The time adds up considerably, especially considering how short missions are and how often you must visit the Tower.

#18 Posted by Mr_Huggles_dog (2955 posts) -

@RoboCopISJesus:Why don't you act more desperate.

On topic: I heard the reason the city wasn't big a full of ppl was b/c of the cross gen.

#19 Edited by RoboCopISJesus (1747 posts) -

@mr_huggles_dog said:

On topic: I heard the reason the city wasn't big a full of ppl was b/c of the cross gen.

Its okay for consolites to call out other consoles holding back a game...but when a PC gamer does it its false.

lolz.

#20 Edited by SkootlesMcGee (25 posts) -

It probably is.

Being that it's unlikely I'll pick up any of the new consoles any time soon (or at all) though, I can't say I'm complaining.

#21 Posted by Shielder7 (5191 posts) -

@SolidTy said:

Still, many good games exist as PS360 games, but it is being held back on PS4/Xbone.

Not too many MMOs and yes I'm calling Destiny an MMO. Although they have managed to put diablo 3 on 360 and PS 3.

#22 Posted by RoboCopISJesus (1747 posts) -

@Shielder7 said:

@SolidTy said:

Not too many MMOs and yes I'm calling Destiny an MMO. Although they have managed to put diablo 3 on 360 and PS 3.

You can call it anything you want, but that won't change the fact that its not a MMO.

#23 Posted by Shielder7 (5191 posts) -

@RoboCopISJesus said:

@mr_huggles_dog said:

Its okay for consolites to call out other consoles holding back a game...but when a PC gamer does it its false.

lolz.

That's because the lead platforms are usually consoles and porting to the PC is more of an after thought why do you think they're so meany petitions to bring games to the PC.

#24 Posted by RoboCopISJesus (1747 posts) -

@Shielder7 said:

@RoboCopISJesus said:

@mr_huggles_dog said:

lolz.

That's because the lead platforms are usually consoles and porting to the PC is more of an after thought why do you think they're so meany petitions to bring games to the PC.

I'm talking about simultaneous development like Crysis 2 and 3 for example. Consoles usually hold back a lot of games to each other and PC.

#25 Edited by Mr_Huggles_dog (2955 posts) -

@RoboCopISJesus said:

@mr_huggles_dog said:

lolz.

You were off topic and what you're doing is totally different than someone with an intention to play this game.

Get lost and "lolz" yourself quiet.

#26 Edited by Shielder7 (5191 posts) -

@RoboCopISJesus said:

@Shielder7 said:

@RoboCopISJesus said:

@mr_huggles_dog said:

lolz.

I'm talking about simultaneous development like Crysis 2 and 3 for example. Consoles usually hold back a lot of games to each other and PC.

The only thing holding back Crysis 2 and 3 is Crytek. All they know how to do is make things pretty. trust me consoles didn't want another mediocre shooter, Crytek had to put their games on consoles because they needed the money because their games suck and that was before they went on consoles.

#27 Posted by RoboCopISJesus (1747 posts) -

@Shielder7 said:

@RoboCopISJesus said:

@Shielder7 said:

@RoboCopISJesus said:

@mr_huggles_dog said:

lolz.

The only thing holding back Crysis 2 and 3 is Crytek. All they know how to do is make things pretty. trust me consoles didn't want another mediocre shooter, Crytek had to put their games on consoles because they needed the money because their games suck.

The only thing holding back Destiny is Bungie. Bungie are putting their games on 4 platforms because they want to make a lot of money since this is a new and untested IP.

Oh and Crysis1 was great, their console oriented games sucked though.

#28 Edited by Shielder7 (5191 posts) -

@RoboCopISJesus said:

The only thing holding back Destiny is Bungie. Bungie are putting their games on 4 platforms because they want to make a lot of money since this is a new and untested IP.

Agreed

@RoboCopISJesus said:

Oh and Crysis1 was great,

Loading Video...

#29 Posted by RoboCopISJesus (1747 posts) -

9.5 GS Score

91% MC

I can probably say its amazing considering that, but i'll settle with great. Surely better than any killzone and most halo rehashes.

#30 Edited by Shielder7 (5191 posts) -

@RoboCopISJesus said:

9.5 GS Score

91% MC

I can probably say its amazing considering that, but i'll settle with great. Surely better than any killzone and most halo rehashes.

What so now them scores matter?

You keep saying how bad TLoU is yet it has a higher Critic and User Score on MC. Crysis only has an 8.0 user score on MC while the Last of Us has a 9.5 and 9.1.

#31 Posted by RoboCopISJesus (1747 posts) -

@Shielder7 said:

@RoboCopISJesus said:

9.5 GS Score

91% MC

What so now them scores matter?

I'm merely using them to back up my opinion. I think the game is great, critics thought it was amazing. Simple.

Critic Scores have always mattered here. We always use them, especially when comparing Systems. User Scores though? I almost never see anyone either use or validate them in any comparison.

#32 Edited by Vecna (3419 posts) -

@RoboCopISJesus said:

This. The only plus I see is that some developers are moving lead platform to pc. I guess this would be a natural evolution when you build off of gimped pc hardware for your consoles. It is almost effortless to also put out a decent pc version.

#33 Posted by Mr_Huggles_dog (2955 posts) -

@Vecna said:

@RoboCopISJesus said:

This. The only plus I see is that some developers are moving lead platform to pc. I guess this would be a natural evolution when you build off of gimped pc hardware for your consoles. It is almost effortless to also put out a decent pc version.

How many times have you heard this type of good news and seen it not come to light.

I'm not saying it's bad that PC is getting it's fair share.....I'm just saying don't count your chickens before they hatch.