Demon's Souls vs Diablo

• 64 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by piercetruth34 (1393 posts) -

Just wondering what you think of Demon's souls? Is it better than diablo is even before diablo 3 comes out or is just another clone that's missing that something? If Demon's souls were diablo 3 which would you prefer?

#2 Posted by MrGrimFandango (5286 posts) -
In comparison to the times in which they were released in, Diablo by far.
#3 Posted by Ribnarak (2298 posts) -

although they have similar settings, demon souls and diablo play out differently.

#4 Posted by SilentlyMad (2093 posts) -
Diablo is a icon in gaming.
#5 Posted by 88mphSlayer (3201 posts) -

gotta go with diablo on this one

#6 Posted by SmyttyGuy94 (286 posts) -

i LOVE demons souls, love it.

But diablo is like someone said an icon in gaming.

over 10 years old and still has 50k players in multiplayer

#7 Posted by longtonguecat (2498 posts) -

Demon's Souls is great and all, but Diablo is... well Diablo. :P

#8 Posted by Regisland (2390 posts) -

I never played Diablo,Im not a big fan of strategy pc type games.

#9 Posted by Phoenix534 (17774 posts) -

Demon's Souls. I find Diablo to be dull, repetitive and overrated.

Regisland

Diablo is anything but strategy.

#10 Posted by Wardemon50 (1637 posts) -

Regisland
It's an ARPG. Anyway, I prefer Diablo because it has a high replay value and fun multiplayer. I don't hate Demon's Soul, but I just found it too difficult to be enjoyed. Either way, two very different games that shouldn't be compared.
#11 Posted by smokeydabear076 (22109 posts) -

Regisland

It's a strategy game? Really? That's funny because I thought it was a racing game.

#12 Posted by 110million (14910 posts) -
I voted Demon's Souls because I can't take the poll seriously, they are not really comparable at all, there is just so much different in just about everything.
#13 Posted by envybianchi (1153 posts) -

I haven't played Demon's Souls yet since my PS3 has been dead for several months so I can't make a comment about it. I voted for the Diablo series since I had a blast with those games when they came out.

#14 Posted by KiZZo1 (3965 posts) -

It's very close. DS definitely reminded me of D1. As for D3, I was eagerly anticipating it, but it may turn out I like DS more, once I have played D3.

#15 Posted by DontBeHatin1983 (1044 posts) -

tie for me

#17 Posted by PXieter (75 posts) -

You stay away from Diablo! It is untouchable. You cant compare it with anything but another Diablo game:P

#18 Posted by Nerkcon (4707 posts) -

[QUOTE="Regisland"]

smokeydabear076

It's a strategy game? Really? That's funny because I thought it was a racing game.

It seems like strategy to me. I have Diablo 2 and haven't gotten started for three reasons; 1) The graphics are too ugly for me and I'm a graphics whore. 2) I was doing research on character builds and the work I have to go through to complete them seems to be too much for me. 3) As you've said, if I start a game and people join all they want to do is 'rush'.
#19 Posted by Heartagram_03 (3554 posts) -

Regisland

FAIL lol I had to post that. :P

No contest Diablo was revolutionary and many developers were inspired by Diablo's dungeon and looting gameplay aspect. Demon's Souls is still a fantastic game though.

#20 Posted by Sky- (4632 posts) -

Diablo wins this one easily. I was addicted to it for many years. I prefer the loot, the artstyle, the duels, and the community over that of Demon's Souls. Another thing I prefer about the Diablo series is the isometric point of view and the great deal of variety in character types. I loved making experimental characters just for fun, even though some of them were duds. If you tried to pull that in Demon's Souls, the game would kick you butt all the way to hell and back. I prefer losing some experience and gold as opposed to losing everything (even though Demon's Souls is not that hard). In Diablo, there is also the hardcore option, which is in my opinion, a lot more difficult than Demon's Souls...if you die on hardcore mode, you lose all of the gear on that character, along with the ability to use him ever again.

#21 Posted by Sky- (4632 posts) -

Regisland

Clearly, you have never played it. :P

#22 Posted by Nerkcon (4707 posts) -
Demon's Souls is an actual hack 'n' slasher so I'll go with that. Diablo is more of a fast pace point and clicking Baldur's Gate with story branches removed. It's rather lame to be honest. And people going with Diablo after admitting they like DS more because it's an icon? :| People on the Internet always get things backwards; it's popular and trendy to make fun and rebel against successful games and developers, not the other way around!
#23 Posted by BattleTurtles (2406 posts) -
I can't believe Demon's Soul is getting 40% of the votes. Seriously, guys.
#24 Posted by Sky- (4632 posts) -

Demon's Souls is an actual hack 'n' slasher so I'll go with that. Diablo is more of a fast pace point and clicking Baldur's Gate with story branches removed. It's rather lame to be honest. And people going with Diablo after admitting they like DS more because it's an icon? :| People on the Internet always get things backwards; it's popular and trendy to make fun and rebel against successful games and developers, not the other way around!Nerkcon

Diablo is nothing like Baldur's Gate besides the fact that they use an isometric point of view. Why don't you actually play the game before arriving to such conclusions?

If anything, Demon's Souls should be more popular at the moment on these forums because it won GOTY on this website and the fact that there hasn't been a Diablo game released in over ten years. That just goes to show you how successful and effective the Diablo series is.

#25 Posted by Sky- (4632 posts) -

I can't believe Demon's Soul is getting 40% of the votes. Seriously, guys.BattleTurtles

This forum is populated mainly by younger gamers and console-only gamers. Not surprising really.

#26 Posted by Phoenix534 (17774 posts) -

I can't believe Demon's Soul is getting 40% of the votes. Seriously, guys.BattleTurtles

So, it's a problem that people don't like mindless clicking?

#27 Posted by Nerkcon (4707 posts) -

[QUOTE="BattleTurtles"]I can't believe Demon's Soul is getting 40% of the votes. Seriously, guys.Sky-

This forum is populated mainly by younger gamers and console-only gamers. Not surprising really.

Yes, how DARE people prefer a newer game over a classic! :shock: And I have played it. It's D'n'D with casting times and rounds removed. You point and click, and your character goes and attacks especially since you can't hotkey actually attacks have have to switch between which attack is assigned to your right and left mouse buttons in Diablo 2.
#28 Posted by Sky- (4632 posts) -

Phoenix534

The people who do mindless clicking are usually the ones who get owned in less than five seconds. Every decent Diablo player knows that you need to set skills on your F-keys or some other button because clicking to switch skills will get you killed because of how slow it is. You also need to factor in what kind of gear you are using, the stats of the character, the skills setup, and which monster you are killing (some have resistances or immunity). Dueling against good people requires even more thought than that.

#29 Posted by Nerkcon (4707 posts) -

[QUOTE="Phoenix534"]

Sky-

The people who do mindless clicking are usually the ones who get owned in less than five seconds. Every decent Diablo player knows that you need to set skills on your F-keys or some other button because clicking to switch skills will get you killed because of how slow it is. You also need to factor in what kind of gear you are using, the stats of the character, the skills setup, and which monster you are killing (some have resistances or immunity). Dueling against good people requires even more thought than that.

So you agree that deep down it's a strategy game?
#30 Posted by DoomZaW (6471 posts) -

Diablo... seriously, there is no competition what so ever

#31 Posted by Sky- (4632 posts) -

So you agree that deep down it's a strategy game?Nerkcon

It has strategy elements, as do most games that have some level of difficulty that doesn't consist of holding your hand the entire way.

#32 Posted by Sky- (4632 posts) -

Yes, how DARE people prefer a newer game over a classic! :shock: And I have played it. It's D'n'D with casting times and rounds removed. You point and click, and your character goes and attacks especially since you can't hotkey actually attacks have have to switch between which attack is assigned to your right and left mouse buttons in Diablo 2.Nerkcon

You can stop making your wild assumptions now. What I meant by that post is that younger gamers and console gamers are far less likely to have played Diablo I or II, and Demon's Souls just won GOTY on one of the home consoles...which could explain why it is doing alright in the poll.

#34 Posted by Panosola (2150 posts) -

Diablo by far.Demons souls it is a good Action RPG game but Diablo is the Best.

#35 Posted by LookAnDrolL (2483 posts) -
Diablo, a 10 year's old game that's its still being played to hell
#36 Posted by Throwmasta (4 posts) -
Demons Souls for me, only bc I prefer the controls and greater emphasis on measured combat (as well as the full control you have over it). Kind of a bias opinion though, bc I am more a fan of console/controller style combat than mouse/keyboard. Diablo didn't really hold my interest enough to stick with it for the long run (way back when), but I have been playing DS for over a year and a half now, and never really gets old for me. It's the game I always go back to in between other games.
#37 Posted by Arach666 (23042 posts) -
Diablo by really,really far.
#38 Posted by 2saugat (1439 posts) -

Demon Souls is a very good game but Diablo is legendary and like other said a icon in the gaming industry.

#39 Posted by AndersK (396 posts) -

Im a huge Demons Souls fan, easily the console game i spend the most time with this entire gen,

but i gotta go with diablo on this one.

#40 Posted by Wiimotefan (4094 posts) -

In prefer Demons Souls, sue me. And no I'm not a youngster.

#41 Posted by OB-47 (10909 posts) -

Diablo. Where the heck is 3???

#42 Posted by arto1223 (4404 posts) -

I am sad to see Diablo is only winning by the 20% that is is... I guess that shows how many younger gamers clicked this thread.

#43 Posted by Wiimotefan (4094 posts) -

I am sad to see Diablo is only winning by the 20% that is is... I guess that shows how many younger gamers clicked this thread.

arto1223

30 in July here. I prefer Demons Souls. I typically prefer older games over the new stuff, but in this case I dont. I'm not even saying DS is better than Diablo. I just personally liked it more.

#44 Posted by DarkLink77 (31697 posts) -

Demon's Souls isn't good enougth to wipe Diablo's ass.

#45 Posted by Filthybastrd (7124 posts) -

I think DS is one of the best games this gen, I think it's better than Diablo and I also think that half of the votes here are cast by people who never played Diablo in the first place.

No offense to Diablo fans of course, I realize the game garnered a following for a reason.

#46 Posted by Throwmasta (4 posts) -

arto1223
I am older than dirt (36), and I think Demons Souls is a better game than Diablo. I can list many reasons, but I'm sure nobody cares. The main reason (of several) is the controls and the combat. The entire younger generation angle really doesn't work here IMO. The reason being, Demons Souls is much more of a cult, niche title that many people avoided because of the initial difficulty. Remember, Gamespot editors gave DS GoTY 2009...not the users. Users would have probably given it to Uncharted 2 (it's safe to assume) for that particular year. We are comparing a much more accessible, and more mass market game (albeit a true classic) to a hardcore, niche game. People voting for DS are not so much the younger generation; aren't most of them too busy playing Black Ops/Elder Scrolls/Mass Effect/Fallout, instead of wasting their time in this thread...? :P
#47 Posted by NaveedLife (17179 posts) -

In comparison to the times in which they were released in, Diablo by far.MrGrimFandango

This. Diablo II is the best though.

#48 Posted by milannoir (1563 posts) -

Why the hell are you comparing these two very different games?

And anyway, Diablo is on another planet...

#49 Posted by _VenomX (1614 posts) -

Tough choice, I loved both, but I had to pick Demon Soul's... Diablo is a great game, so does Demon Souls

#50 Posted by OB-47 (10909 posts) -

arto1223

No, demons souls is punishing as hell and way too frustrating for kids. It really comes down to personal preference.