demons souls is severely overlooked here

• 76 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
deactivated-5cd08b1605da1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 0

#51 deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
Member since 2012 • 9317 Posts

@KHAndAnime said:

@AmazonTreeBoa said:

I own Demon's Souls.....It sucks. With no story, I have nothing to motivate me to continue on. Got bored with it after defeating the first two bosses of each level and shut it off and never put the disk in my PS3 again.

You need to be motivated by awfully written video-game stories to play a videogame?

LOL. Christ people, raise your storytelling standards. Read a good book, watch a good TV show, or see a good movie and you won't think twice about coming to a videogame for story again.

This is a flawed argument. A videogame still has to have an interesting story at least. Must it be a oscar worthy story? Off course not, but somethin to keep us going and making us beat a difficult part just to see what happens next (and no, watching it on youtube isnt the same). There are many videogames out there wich managed to tell a great tale just as there are a lot of movies and books wich arent even good to start with. Yes, many games have terrible stories but lets not accept that as a standard when we've been proven many times videogames can tell great stories.

millerlight89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#52 millerlight89
Member since 2007 • 18658 Posts

@KHAndAnime said:

@AmazonTreeBoa said:

I own Demon's Souls.....It sucks. With no story, I have nothing to motivate me to continue on. Got bored with it after defeating the first two bosses of each level and shut it off and never put the disk in my PS3 again.

You need to be motivated by awfully written video-game stories to play a videogame?

LOL. Christ people, raise your storytelling standards. Read a good book, watch a good TV show, or see a good movie and you won't think twice about coming to a videogame for story again.

I also use to get a laugh from watching you cry over people wanting a video game story. I read books, I watch TV, I watch movies, and yet I still can enjoy a story in a video game.

blamix99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#53 blamix99
Member since 2011 • 2685 Posts

both are Great, but i still like Demon Souls more

Demonjoe93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 107

#54  Edited By Demonjoe93
Member since 2009 • 9869 Posts

Overlooked? You can hardly give the game any objective criticism here without some of its fanboys jumping down your throat, saying some variations of "Awww, is the game too hard for you?" or "You just didn't like it because you suck at it and can't play hardcore games".

Zelda187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#55  Edited By Zelda187
Member since 2005 • 1047 Posts

I'm sorry, I like a bit of a challenge as much as the next guy...but games that are so difficult that they only piss me off and make me want to put a hole in my wall...I'll just pass on.

I play games first and foremost to have fun and be entertained, not frustrated to the point of grinding my teeth, pulling my hair out and throwing my controller out the window.

And it seems like that's the main reason that most like the "Souls" franchise.

Me: "So what's so great about it?"

Them: "Ahhh...um...it's just so hard dude!! Just brutal! Phone ringing? Have to take a piss? Kid crying in the next room? Guess what? F*ck that noise, bro! This game doesn't even have a pause button! And if you die, you lose all your shit and go back to the beginning like it's still 1986!"

Demonjoe93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 107

#56  Edited By Demonjoe93
Member since 2009 • 9869 Posts

@Zelda187 said:

I'm sorry, I like a bit of a challenge as much as the next guy...but games that are so difficult that they only piss me off and make me want to put a hole in my wall...I'll just pass on.

I play games first and foremost to have fun and be entertained, not frustrated to the point of grinding my teeth, pulling my hair out and throwing my controller out the window.

Me: So what's so great about it?

Them: Ahhh...um...it's just so hard dude!! Just brutal! Phone ringing? Have to take a piss? Kid crying in the next room? Guess what? F*ck that noise, bro! This game doesn't even have a pause button! And if you die, you lose all your shit and go back to the beginning like it's still 1986!"

Thank you!

I feel like I'm one of the only people here who took a huge issue with Demon's Souls' lack of a pause button.

However, it's not fair to compare the game to the one's in 1986 because the ones in 1986 at least had a pause function, lol.

ButDuuude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#57  Edited By ButDuuude
Member since 2013 • 1907 Posts

Probably because it's a PS3 exclusive and Dark Souls is not. I prefer Demon's Souls over Dark Souls, but both games are great. Demon's Souls also has smarter dialogue.

Gargus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#58 Gargus
Member since 2006 • 2147 Posts

Demons souls is old. That's why no one talks about it. It isn't being overlooked, there just have been a couple hundred games since then worth talking about.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#59  Edited By KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

@seanmcloughlin said:

@foxhound_fox said:

@KHAndAnime said:

I'm very aware. It's the only thing that really differentiates it from Demons Souls. I'm just saying Metroid-esque designed games don't necessarily have to be so maze-like, they usually restrict areas off so you don't waste time.

Those are the best kind of Metroid-esque games. Allowing the player to find their own path at their own pace. Gaming at it's finest. Fully organic.

Exactly, part of the reason Dark Souls is one of my tops games ever. You learn the game through exploring, even the story is told to you that way

Demons Souls has plenty of exploration without wasting anyone's time for no poignant reason :)

Really, attempting to run through an area dozens of times before you realize you just might have to backtrack and check every crevice for the real path (for literally hours on end...it's a big game) isn't as much fun as you chalk it up to be. Sounds masochistic. Metroid games didn't have it this way, Castlevania SOTN didn't have it this way - this is a problem exclusive to Dark Souls' level design.

@seanmcloughlin said:

@KHAndAnime said:

Dark Souls offered multiple ways to go through the game - many of those multiple ways being the blatant wrong way to go. Some ways not so blatantly wrong, but still wrong. I probably ventured into dozens of zones I shouldn't have and wasted time doing things I shouldn't have for this reason alone. It's impossible to do the same thing in Demon's Souls, you can pretty much beat it any way you choose - there isn't necessarily a "wrong way".

Never had to farm in a Souls game before, so I'm not sure what you mean by that. Beat both games by progressing from start to finish, no grinding. You needed to grind to beat them?

Yeah it did offer multiple ways and some were way more than you could handle forcing you the right way, this isn't getting "lost" which you first talked about it's just going the wrong way.

You can beat the games without farming but to get the builds you want or carry the armor and weapons you want you usually have to farm souls to level up your stats. Or farm enemies for certain items. You not doing it doesn't mean the level design wasn't crap for those who DID do it. Dark is still better than Demon's in this regard

There are plenty of times in DS that you can be going the wrong way completely and encounter enemies that aren't too difficult. Dozens of times. I watch Dark Souls quick plays and the majority of people get lost for extended periods of time. Not necessarily a fun - it's just a waste of time. What would be organic is if you could actually traverse these paths to progress. You can't. There's only one (maybe occasionally two) true paths and every thing else is a waste of time unless you read GameFaqs.

@Vatusus said:

@KHAndAnime said:

@AmazonTreeBoa said:

This is a flawed argument. A videogame still has to have an interesting story at least. Must it be a oscar worthy story? Off course not, but somethin to keep us going and making us beat a difficult part just to see what happens next (and no, watching it on youtube isnt the same). There are many videogames out there wich managed to tell a great tale just as there are a lot of movies and books wich arent even good to start with. Yes, many games have terrible stories but lets not accept that as a standard when we've been proven many times videogames can tell great stories.

Nobody really thinks videogame's have great stories - if they did, there would be books based off videogame stories that sold well. There haven't been any, has there?

There are plenty of crap movies, crap games, crap books, etc - that's besides the point. The point is that videogames aren't an effective medium for storytelling. People are hung up on videogame stories that are literally only written to serve the action happening on screen. Who cares about a story when the story isn't the point? The point is having fun - do you really need some half-assed story to keep you having fun? Seems counter-productive to enjoying whats in front of you.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

@millerlight89 said:

@KHAndAnime said:

@AmazonTreeBoa said:

I also use to get a laugh from watching you cry over people wanting a video game story. I read books, I watch TV, I watch movies, and yet I still can enjoy a story in a video game.

If you need a videogame story to play a videogame, doesn't sound like you're much of a fan of videogames does it? Maybe shitty fanfiction is more up some people's alley - shitty writing without the boring gameplay. Reminds me of a little child that is convinced their dinner isn't complete without a big McDonalds burger on their plate . They think they're eating fine dining... it's just pathetic and kind of sad really. Sure, it's their taste. But it's an odd taste to acquire.

Honestly, if you need a story to complete a videogame, that's fine and dandy. My perspective just differs a lot on it. The story aspect of a videogame receives probably less than 5% of attention compared to everything else in the project. It'd be like being unable to finish a movie because you didn't like the soundtrack or something. It just sounds bizarre.

cain006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#61 cain006
Member since 2008 • 8625 Posts

@Zelda187 said:

Them: "Ahhh...um...it's just so hard dude!! Just brutal! Phone ringing? Have to take a piss? Kid crying in the next room? Guess what? F*ck that noise, bro! This game doesn't even have a pause button! And if you die, you lose all your shit and go back to the beginning like it's still 1986!"

It was very difficult for me at first but after playing for like 5 hours I died like 40 times the rest of the game, most of those being stupid fall deaths. As long as you make a tank type character it's actually very forgiving once you're used to the mechanics.

Joedgabe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#62 Joedgabe
Member since 2006 • 5134 Posts

They could release Sandals Souls I'd love that game too most likely! that gameplay and character build options... it just keeps me going!

Zaraxius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#63  Edited By Zaraxius
Member since 2013 • 221 Posts

Dark Souls didn't exactly improve on Demon's Souls in every way... Even so, it's still probably the better game overall.

Demon's Souls had less backtracking (and Dark Souls' areas were BIG), better online connectivity, a more stable frame-rate, among other things. But Dark Souls' length, content, and scale outdoes it, I think.

Minishdriveby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#64 Minishdriveby
Member since 2006 • 10519 Posts

Dark Souls was just the better game. Demon's Souls was awesome too, but Dark Souls deserves more praise.

inggrish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 inggrish
Member since 2005 • 10502 Posts

@Masculus said:

I liked Dark Souls better, with the DLC content even more.

I still need to try out the dlc, I keep hearing very mixed things about it.

What level would you suggest going to do the dlc at?

inggrish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 inggrish
Member since 2005 • 10502 Posts

I love Demon's Souls... But Dark Souls is better... just.

StriateEnd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By StriateEnd
Member since 2013 • 521 Posts

Wut? Both Souls games are pretty much universally loved.

Avatar image for deactivated-59b71619573a1
deactivated-59b71619573a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 deactivated-59b71619573a1
Member since 2007 • 38222 Posts

@KHAndAnime said:

Really, attempting to run through an area dozens of times before you realize you just might have to backtrack and check every crevice for the real path (for literally hours on end...it's a big game) isn't as much fun as you chalk it up to be. Sounds masochistic.

There are plenty of times in DS that you can be going the wrong way completely and encounter enemies that aren't too difficult. Dozens of times. I watch Dark Souls quick plays and the majority of people get lost for extended periods of time. Not necessarily a fun - it's just a waste of time. What would be organic is if you could actually traverse these paths to progress. You can't. There's only one (maybe occasionally two) true paths and every thing else is a waste of time unless you read GameFaqs.

The Souls games are masochism personified no matter what way you spin it. You don't need to "check every crevice", it's not that fucking hard find your way round the game. Maybe you're just not smart enough?

Yeah you go the wrong way, you learn it's wrong, you go another way and repeat. It's learning how the game works by doing. It's as organic as you can get. There has to be a risk and reward system or a feeling of progression in the game, what you're implying would break the game if you could just go the harder paths and finish them no problems.

But then again there's no point arguing with you about games because you're always on your high horse and everyone else is always wrong

HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 HoolaHoopMan
Member since 2009 • 14724 Posts

@Vatusus said:

@KHAndAnime said:

@AmazonTreeBoa said:

Both of the Souls games have a story and rich lore to them. The problem being that most people are expecting a story told to them through cinematics and cut scenes. Most of the lore is delivered through item descriptions and much of it is left vague on purpose.

clone01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By clone01
Member since 2003 • 29822 Posts

@donnatroy said:

@AmazonTreeBoa:

And we absolutely believe you.

I believe a well-known user like him over your sorry troll ass.

ominous_titan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 ominous_titan
Member since 2009 • 1217 Posts

@locus-solus said:

@Pray_to_me said:

It got game of the year 2009 so.....

I consider it game of the gen last gen and miles better than dark souls. Hope those demon souls 2 rumors are true

demon's souls II probably isn't anything more than a rumor and if it is being pushed into production by Sony/From Software and lets say Demon's Souls II gets a 2015 release date and in 2016 Dark Souls III comes out. well i'm sure you see where this is going the Souls franchise being milked would probably bring the quality of the games down

ya from software would never milk a franchise **cough armored core cough**

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 Chutebox  Online
Member since 2007 • 50494 Posts

I liked two things better on Dark Souls. Checkpoints and Bosses.

g0ddyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 g0ddyX
Member since 2005 • 3914 Posts

Demons Souls is the original game.
Dark Souls is just as good.

For me, I'd say Demons Souls, the impact it had was great and was fresh, and the underdog of course and GOTY winner.

HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By HoolaHoopMan
Member since 2009 • 14724 Posts

@Zelda187 said:

Neither game is that hard. What it does well is punish sloppy playing and not preparing for certain areas or fights. I found Dragon Age on Nightmare far more challenging than either Souls game.

As for the pause button issue I kind of agree. I think adding an actual pause feature would be ok.

Some-Mist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#76  Edited By Some-Mist
Member since 2009 • 5631 Posts

@Trail_Mix said:

I've always found Demon's Souls to be a lot more challenging than Dark Souls.

To be honest, Dark Souls wasn't even that hard. The difficulty is grossly overrated.

If you didn't, you should have tried the Asian version when the game first released over there. Phalanx only affected the first worlds tendency which made the game more difficult by default. That was until it was patched when the US version came out - now Phalanx affects all world tendencies...

Avatar image for deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
deactivated-5cd08b1605da1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#77 deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
Member since 2012 • 9317 Posts

@HoolaHoopMan said:

@Vatusus said:

@KHAndAnime said:

@AmazonTreeBoa said:

Both of the Souls games have a story and rich lore to them.

I know that.