demons souls is severely overlooked here

• 76 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

dvalo9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 dvalo9
Member since 2010 • 1301 Posts

With all the buzz surrounding dark souls 2 and how much dark souls is reagarded as the best rpg around, itvseems demons souls never gets mentioned or recognized in the same regards. I'm sure there a bunch of dark souls fans here that would love to play demons souls. But it was an exclusive

Masculus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Masculus
Member since 2009 • 2878 Posts

I liked Dark Souls better, with the DLC content even more.

Couth_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Couth_
Member since 2008 • 10369 Posts

No it's not. It was a huge hit, won GOTY awards and is the reason Dark Souls exists.. It's just that Dark Souls 2 comes out in a couple months and there is no more Demon's Souls that we know of

Avatar image for deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
deactivated-5cd08b1605da1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#4 deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
Member since 2012 • 9317 Posts

Dark Souls is the better game but Demon's started it all and it stands by its own also. A true fan of the Souls series must play both or he isnt a true fan

zmbi_gmr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 zmbi_gmr
Member since 2008 • 3590 Posts

Played both and Dark Souls was the better game. Huge fan of the Souls games btw.

DonnaTroy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By DonnaTroy
Member since 2013 • 245 Posts

It won game of the year. Dark Souls didn't.

And is considered a better game than Dark Souls by the vets.

coasterguy65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#7 coasterguy65
Member since 2005 • 7133 Posts

I'm guessing you weren't here a few years ago when the game was new, and all the fanboys were hyping the crap out of Demon's Souls?

marcheegsr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 marcheegsr
Member since 2004 • 3115 Posts

It may be overlooked now because its an older game. But when it first came out it was hyped.

danjammer69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By danjammer69
Member since 2004 • 4331 Posts

@coasterguy65 said:

I'm guessing you weren't here a few years ago when the game was new, and all the fanboys were hyping the crap out of Demon's Souls?

Pretty much what I came in to say.

Demon Souls received tons of praise on Gamespot and in the gaming world.

AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 AmazonTreeBoa
Member since 2011 • 16745 Posts

I own Demon's Souls.....It sucks. With no story, I have nothing to motivate me to continue on. Got bored with it after defeating the first two bosses of each level and shut it off and never put the disk in my PS3 again.

Newhopes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#11 Newhopes
Member since 2009 • 4775 Posts

Played both, think Dark souls is the better game.

But thats not taking anything away from Demon's still a great game.

DonnaTroy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 DonnaTroy

@AmazonTreeBoa:

And we absolutely believe you.

AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By AmazonTreeBoa

@donnatroy said:

@AmazonTreeBoa:

And we absolutely believe you.

Yes, I totally give a shit what you believe. *rolls eyes*

Too stupid to look up my PSN I see.

Avatar image for deactivated-59b71619573a1
deactivated-59b71619573a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By deactivated-59b71619573a1
Member since 2007 • 38222 Posts

Demon's Souls isn't overlooked :/ at all. You always hear people saying they like it more than Dark Souls and praising it a lot

I played Demon's after Dark and I can see why people sould maybe like it more but as an actual game, mechanics wise Dark Souls is better. Demon's is far more punishing though which is why a lot of people like it

PyratRum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 PyratRum
Member since 2013 • 778 Posts

I actually prefer Demon's Souls ever so slightly if only because I enjoy the hub-based world set-up that it has.

Floppy_Jim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#16 Floppy_Jim
Member since 2007 • 25931 Posts

Don't have a favourite between them but Demon's is much more atmospheric, depressing & creepy (OCTOPUS MEN PRISON WARDENS PLAGUE BABIES WHAT THE **** THIS IS GREAT), better soundtrack and more punishing. Dark has that great connected world design going for it.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52426 Posts

It's not.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60712 Posts

Won a GOTY for SONY, so no it's not.

longtonguecat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#19 longtonguecat
Member since 2008 • 2558 Posts

Demon's Souls is my GotG - it had so many cool ideas and I prefer it's world and online to Dark Souls. :)

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By PurpleMan5000
Member since 2011 • 10531 Posts

@AmazonTreeBoa said:

I own Demon's Souls.....It sucks. With no story, I have nothing to motivate me to continue on. Got bored with it after defeating the first two bosses of each level and shut it off and never put the disk in my PS3 again.

I didn't like it, either. It had a lot of good ideas and innovated in a lot of ways, but the game just wasn't very fun, imo.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

Well it was a PS3 exclusive, and most likely more people have played Dark Souls

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

its not. before dark souls release it was pretty popular on SW and the reason i even tried it (gameplay looked so ugly that if it wasn't all the positive feedback i would've probably never even try it), now its my fav game of last gen... People don't talk about it because it was released way before Dark Souls and is essentially the same game, one with nexus and the other with bonefires.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#23 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

That's because Dark Souls is the better game in every possible way.

Although Demon's Souls was still amazing.

cain006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#24 cain006
Member since 2008 • 8625 Posts

I just got a PS3 but I'm not gonna buy it. With Dark Souls 2 coming out soon I'm gonna get that because I want to experience it right when it comes out, I imagine it will be way different than buying it later.

Trail_Mix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Trail_Mix
Member since 2011 • 2579 Posts

I've always found Demon's Souls to be a lot more challenging than Dark Souls.

To be honest, Dark Souls wasn't even that hard. The difficulty is grossly overrated.

MlauTheDaft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By MlauTheDaft
Member since 2011 • 5189 Posts

Think everything that was needed to be said, has been.

Demon's souls was amazing, Dark Souls was even better.

Btw, both games have stories, excellent ones at that.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

@AmazonTreeBoa said:

You need to be motivated by awfully written video-game stories to play a videogame?

LOL. Christ people, raise your storytelling standards. Read a good book, watch a good TV show, or see a good movie and you won't think twice about coming to a videogame for story again.

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By PurpleMan5000

@KHAndAnime said:

@AmazonTreeBoa said:

You need to be motivated by awfully written video-game stories to play a videogame?

LOL. Christ people, raise your storytelling standards. Read a good book, watch a good TV show, or see a good movie and you won't think twice about coming to a videogame for story again.

Well, it needed something. The gameplay was slow and clunky, the monsters were mostly the same with very predictable patterns, and the game forces you to repeat long stretches of gameplay whenever you make a mistake. I don't mind dying and having to replay stretches of a game, as long as the act of actually playing those stretches is fun. Demons Souls isn't really very fun, though.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts

No its not. The Souls games are incredibly overrated here.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 KHAndAnime

@PurpleMan5000 said:

@KHAndAnime said:

@AmazonTreeBoa said:

Well, it needed something. The gameplay was slow and clunky, the monsters were mostly the same with very predictable patterns, and the game forces you to repeat long stretches of gameplay whenever you make a mistake. I don't mind dying and having to replay stretches of a game, as long as the act of actually playing those stretches is fun. Demons Souls isn't really very fun, though.

I agree, there is not much of a driving force to complete the game. I personally basked in the gameplay and atmosphere, so I had no problem completing it. I had help from my brother though. You have to be challenge-hungry to finish Demons Souls. People who want difficulty and like to be punished for their mistakes will take to it better than other players. People who play games purely to relax and have fun probably won't take to it as well

Ratchet_Fan8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#31 Ratchet_Fan8
Member since 2008 • 5574 Posts

No contest,Demon'S souls is the RPG of the Generation. It was something so ... REFINED.

Combine MegaMan and RPG together,you get DeS.

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By PurpleMan5000

@KHAndAnime said:

@PurpleMan5000 said:

@KHAndAnime said:

@AmazonTreeBoa said:

I agree, there is not much of a driving force to complete the game. I personally basked in the gameplay and atmosphere, so I had no problem completing it. I had help from my brother though. You have to be challenge-hungry to finish Demons Souls. People who want difficulty and like to be punished for their mistakes will take to it better than other players. People who play games purely to relax and have fun probably won't take to it as well

I really think that for me, the pace was a bigger turnoff than the difficulty. I usually like challenging games. I just don't have the patience to slog through a part of a level that I've already played at a slow pace to go get my souls back before moving on. I would actually do worse the more I played. I like challenging games like Ninja Gaiden and Viewtiful Joe. This one just didn't do it for me, though.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#33 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

Demon's Souls has a more crushing atmosphere, and according to some (not me) better level design.

Dark Souls does everything else better.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By KHAndAnime

@foxhound_fox said:

Demon's Souls has a more crushing atmosphere, and according to some (not me) better level design.

Demons Souls' level design killed Dark Souls for me based on the grounds that I got lost in Dark Souls a million times and had to even resort to online guides where to go next. In Demons Souls, you always had an idea of where to go. Any game that I have to resort to using a guide instantly loses cool points with me.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By deactivated-59b71619573a1

@KHAndAnime said:

@foxhound_fox said:

Demons Souls' level design killed Dark Souls for me based on the grounds that I got lost in Dark Souls a million times and had to even resort to online guides where to go next. In Demons Souls, you always had an idea of where to go. Any game that I have to resort to using a guide instantly loses cool points with me.

What? Through the sheer repetition of dying and back tracking you should never have gotten lost. But yeah i guess compared to Demon's it is a little more confusing

I like Dark Souls' level design way more because if feels more like a cohesive experience rather than the disjointed feeling of Demon's. I loved how everything linked back up with itself.

Also Demon's level design and overall design made it tedious to farm stuff and Souls games are all about farming either souls or items. Having to go all the way back to the hub every time you wanted to store items or upgrade was annoying as hell as well as having to go back to the hub and re-enter the levels to reset the enemy spawns. Bonfires were a far better solution

HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 HoolaHoopMan
Member since 2009 • 14724 Posts

@KHAndAnime said:

@foxhound_fox said:

I loved that it didn't force you one way in the beginning. Hell around 1/3 of the bosses are optional.

Avatar image for Master_ShakeXXX
Master_ShakeXXX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 142

#37 Master_ShakeXXX
Member since 2008 • 13361 Posts

Dark Souls is multiplat so more people got to play it. But yeah Demon's Souls is just as great.

Pray_to_me

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Pray_to_me
Member since 2011 • 4041 Posts

It got game of the year 2009 so.....

I consider it game of the gen last gen and miles better than dark souls. Hope those demon souls 2 rumors are true

DonnaTroy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By DonnaTroy

Demon's Souls did a few things better.

Better pvp thanks to dedicated servers

Better weapon balancing

Stealth builds

Better endboss

Better level design

Able to play as the boss in another players game.

Dark Souls did have better bosses overall, except for the end boss. Also better musical score.

hayato_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 hayato_
Member since 2007 • 5165 Posts

@AmazonTreeBoa said:

Pretty much the same thing I did. I forgot I had the game a little while ago. Bought the game all because of hype mostly and was let down

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 foxhound_fox

@KHAndAnime said:

@foxhound_fox said:

Dark Souls' strength comes from it's Super-Metroid-esque overworld. It wouldn't be half the game it is if it had Demon's Souls' layout.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By KHAndAnime
@foxhound_fox said:

@KHAndAnime said:

Dark Souls' strength comes from it's Super-Metroid-esque overworld. It wouldn't be half the game it is if it had Demon's Souls' layout.

I'm very aware. It's the only thing that really differentiates it from Demons Souls. I'm just saying Metroid-esque designed games don't necessarily have to be so maze-like, they usually restrict areas off so you don't waste time.

@seanmcloughlin said:

@KHAndAnime said:

@foxhound_fox said:

What? Through the sheer repetition of dying and back tracking you should never have gotten lost. But yeah i guess compared to Demon's it is a little more confusing

I like Dark Souls' level design way more because if feels more like a cohesive experience rather than the disjointed feeling of Demon's. I loved how everything linked back up with itself.

Also Demon's level design and overall design made it tedious to farm stuff and Souls games are all about farming either souls or items. Having to go all the way back to the hub every time you wanted to store items or upgrade was annoying as hell as well as having to go back to the hub and re-enter the levels to reset the enemy spawns. Bonfires were a far better solution

Dark Souls offered multiple ways to go through the game - many of those multiple ways being the blatant wrong way to go. Some ways not so blatantly wrong, but still wrong. I probably ventured into dozens of zones I shouldn't have and wasted time doing things I shouldn't have for this reason alone. It's impossible to do the same thing in Demon's Souls, you can pretty much beat it any way you choose - there isn't necessarily a "wrong way".

Never had to farm in a Souls game before, so I'm not sure what you mean by that. Beat both games by progressing from start to finish, no grinding. You needed to grind to beat them?

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By PurpleMan5000

@KHAndAnime said:

@seanmcloughlin said:

@KHAndAnime said:

@foxhound_fox said:

Dark Souls offered multiple ways to go through the game - many of those multiple ways being the blatant wrong way to go. Some ways not so blatantly wrong, but still wrong. I probably ventured into dozens of zones I shouldn't have and wasted time doing things I shouldn't have for this reason alone. It's impossible to do the same thing in Demon's Souls, you can pretty much beat it any way you choose - there isn't necessarily a "wrong way".

Never had to farm in a Souls game before, so I'm not sure what you mean by that. Beat both games by progressing from start to finish, no grinding. You needed to grind to beat them?

To be fair, you said that you used guides to beat them, and some character builds are much harder to play than others.

locus-solus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 locus-solus
Member since 2013 • 1557 Posts

@Pray_to_me said:

It got game of the year 2009 so.....

I consider it game of the gen last gen and miles better than dark souls. Hope those demon souls 2 rumors are true

demon's souls II probably isn't anything more than a rumor and if it is being pushed into production by Sony/From Software and lets say Demon's Souls II gets a 2015 release date and in 2016 Dark Souls III comes out. well i'm sure you see where this is going the Souls franchise being milked would probably bring the quality of the games down

AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 AmazonTreeBoa

@KHAndAnime said:

@AmazonTreeBoa said:

I'm sorry, wtf are you going on about? I never said anything about playing/liking games with poorly written stories. Please kid, share what the **** ever drugs it is you are on.

AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By AmazonTreeBoa

@KHAndAnime said:

@PurpleMan5000 said:

@KHAndAnime said:

@AmazonTreeBoa said:

That's something else I didn't get about all the claims about Demon's Souls. Everybody was talking about how hard it was, but I didn't find it hard at all. The only hard part was the very beginning when I started with no armor as a barbarian. Once I got armor, it didn't present much of a challenge.

locus-solus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 locus-solus
Member since 2013 • 1557 Posts

@PurpleMan5000 said:

@KHAndAnime said:

@seanmcloughlin said:

@KHAndAnime said:

@foxhound_fox said:

To be fair, you said that you used guides to beat them, and some character builds are much harder to play than others.

@KHAndAnime the only wrong way to play the game in my opinion if you went into the Tomb of the Giants and less extent New Londo Ruins and Demon's Ruins before without using or having access to the Lordvessel. i mean if you rested at one of the bonfire in Tomb of the Giants without being able to warp out it could become quit difficult to escape back to catacombs and Frelink Shrine if you don't know what you're doing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 deactivated-59b71619573a1

@KHAndAnime said:

Yeah it did offer multiple ways and some were way more than you could handle forcing you the right way, this isn't getting "lost" which you first talked about it's just going the wrong way.

You can beat the games without farming but to get the builds you want or carry the armor and weapons you want you usually have to farm souls to level up your stats. Or farm enemies for certain items. You not doing it doesn't mean the level design wasn't crap for those who DID do it. Dark is still better than Demon's in this regard

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By foxhound_fox

@KHAndAnime said:

I'm very aware. It's the only thing that really differentiates it from Demons Souls. I'm just saying Metroid-esque designed games don't necessarily have to be so maze-like, they usually restrict areas off so you don't waste time.

Those are the best kind of Metroid-esque games. Allowing the player to find their own path at their own pace. Gaming at it's finest. Fully organic.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By deactivated-59b71619573a1

@foxhound_fox said:

@KHAndAnime said:

Those are the best kind of Metroid-esque games. Allowing the player to find their own path at their own pace. Gaming at it's finest. Fully organic.

Exactly, part of the reason Dark Souls is one of my tops games ever. You learn the game through exploring, even the story is told to you that way