Demon's Souls vs Dark Souls vs Dark Souls II - which is your favorite?

• 101 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Posted by Master_ShakeXXX (13361 posts) 5 months, 6 days ago

Poll: Demon's Souls vs Dark Souls vs Dark Souls II - which is your favorite? (106 votes)

Demon's Souls 49%
Dark Souls 31%
Dark Souls II 19%

Souls, the greatest and most consistent RPG franchise of all time, but which entry is the super star? The Michael Jordan of the Chicago Bulls, so to speak.

I still say Demon's Souls is the best. In terms of atmosphere, in terms of feeling alone, doomed, helpless, and hopeless, Demon's Souls nailed this stuff far better than the Dark Souls entries. It will also always have the benefit of being the very first game of it's kind. Playing through Demon's Souls for the first time was truly an experience unlike any other.

#51 Edited by jg4xchamp (46986 posts) -

Waiting for the PC version of DS2.

Between Demon's and Dark: I'm going with Demon's Souls

-Fresh and new feeling. More respect for that game on that front alone.

-The level design is flat out more consistent. Yes the world isn't as connected as Dark Souls is, but it has tighter gameplay segments for it as well. Plus nothing as straight up lazy as fucking Demon Ruins and Lost Izalith

-Old Monk: Not one boss fight in Dark Souls came close to being as cool

-Being dead/undead actually meant something. There is no real risk-reward to being dead/undead in Dark Souls. What do you lose by being undead? the ability to summon coop buddies? big whoop. Otherwise it was in your best interest to stay undead, and most boss fights could be handled solo with the right build. Yes this can be mitigated in Demon's Souls after awhile, but it was a non issue in Dark Souls from start to finish. At least in Demon's Souls you might get desperate for that extra health, in Dark Souls? you got full health anyway.

-Better net code for PVP

Dark Souls does a lot of things extremely well, and on a pure pacing standpoing it has the advantage on the premise that parts of Demon's Souls can feel like a slog as you have to go back through some environments(god bless the bonfires in this case), but flat out Demon's Souls felt more rewarding to me. It did in 2009. It did in 2011 when I was iffy on Dark Souls when I first got it. It still does now when I turn on Demon's Souls even after getting all the achievements in Dark Souls.

Both games are fantastic, amazing even, but I would side with Demon's Souls.

#52 Edited by Gue1 (9356 posts) -

the only reason people vote for Demon's Souls it's because it was a PS3 exclusive but objectively speaking Dark Souls 2 is the best hands down. But to be honest they are all so similar they feel more like expansion packs with minor improvements just like all From Software games like Armored Core.

#53 Posted by Jynxzor (9286 posts) -

Demons Souls all the way.

Dragon God was a beast (A bit dissapointing in his final encounter but the first time you met him...if you managed to be the tutorial demon dear god)

Maiden Astrea...dat music...dat backstory. All the bosses had such potent symbolism and meaning. Dark Souls kind of phoned it in and didn't leave as much lore scattered to fill in the gaps.

#54 Posted by Zaraxius (205 posts) -

Dark Souls II > Dark Souls > Demon's Souls

This is objective fact.

I don't think you know what "objective" means.

#55 Posted by Zaraxius (205 posts) -

@psn8214 said:

Dark Souls > Demons Souls from the two I've played. I'm unfortunately stuck waiting for the PC release on Apr. 15th to play Dark Souls II. Wish they would have come out with a PS4 version; I feel like they wouldn't have kept that crowd waiting.

Well prepare to wait a little longer, because it is not coming out until April 25th.

#56 Edited by tonitorsi (8271 posts) -

@Sword-Demon said:

@tonitorsi said:

@Sword-Demon said:

I'm about halfway through Dark Souls 2 and I love it, but Demon's Souls is still my favorite.

You still have me on SlaySN? We gotta go on some co-op once I get my copy!.

Definitely

I'm pretty sure I have you. What's your name?

It was DevilHazards or some shit like that lol

I haven't logged to PSN in a long time because my Ps3 got jammed mayne.

If you still have me and got a Mic, I'll cook up a co-op section and get us some royal DkSII pve/pvp going as soon as I get my hands on a copy.

#57 Edited by Some-Mist (5630 posts) -

I like this thread shake.

still haven't beaten ds2. I've had some irl roadblocks, but I've cleared these bosses in this f'ed up order [spoiler]dragonrider, flexile sentry (after this boss I finally found the estus flask lol), the last giant, ruin sentinals, belfry gargoyles, the persuer, the sinner[/spoiler]. my first impression of ds2 was pretty poor. I didn't like the cinematic touches and the themes of the area. the gameplay is still incredible and the difficulty and gameplay are well paced. given my gripes so far... I'd rank dark souls II last.

I can't really complain about much in dark souls other than the online system revamp which was much worse but the pvp system seemed to switch from a stat-based pvp system to an item-based pvp system. dark souls 2 had the coolest environments, but I thought the bosses weren't as great.

demon's souls was the first title I played and fell in love with, so I have a pretty heavy bias.. I definitely prefer the centralized hub layout in the first. I personally thought the npcs were more interesting in demon's souls too. some of the lines really stuck with me:

"with your souls I can eke out a living, and with my weapons you can go on living. not a bad deal, eh?"

the best part of the game (and the most innovative mechanic) was the fact that you can play as a boss in other player's worlds.... a boss you have to kill to continue in the game. when I first invaded someone else's world and became the boss, I was blown away.

the added difficulty was nice too. it got patched with the release of the NA version, but back in the asian version..the phalanx on affected world 1's tendency as opposed to all worlds, making each world by default a bit more difficult. It might just be that I got used to the series, but it seems to have gotten easier and easier with each new release.

demon's souls gets my vote.

#58 Edited by clone01 (24329 posts) -

@Floppy_Jim: DS2 is pretty awesome from what I've played so far. It actually has a "Demons Soul" vibe to it, IMO.

#59 Posted by Flubbbs (2892 posts) -

so far Dark Souls, but i havent finished DSII yet.

#60 Posted by AcidTango (500 posts) -

So far I haven't played Demon Souls and Dark Souls II yet. In fact I feel bad that I still have not played Demon Souls at all. I really should. But Dark Souls is awesome and can't wait later on when I have the time to play Dark Souls II.

#61 Posted by HoolaHoopMan (7720 posts) -

Dark Souls II > Dark Souls > Demon's Souls

This is objective fact.

#62 Posted by santoron (7622 posts) -

Haven't started DS2 yet. Of the first two, Demons Souls was my favorite, and both were fantastic.

#63 Edited by lundy86_4 (42805 posts) -

Picking up DS2 this week, but Dark Souls was better than Demon's Souls in my opinion.

#64 Edited by Blabadon (25629 posts) -

I'm really happy Dark Souls 2 is living up to the hype for you guys. Good to hear as the first Dark Souls just looks immaculate.

I've only played a few hours of Demon's Souls and Dark Souls, the latter at about three FPS, but like Dark Souls more just by concept. I really like the gameplay of both, but Demon's way of making you start a level over upon death was not too cool with me. Dark Souls ditching that and going with an open world is awesome. Can't wait to play it

#65 Posted by mbrockway (3345 posts) -

Demons Soul over Dark Souls, but BARELY. My magic swordsman from DeS was just a freaking beast. I really hated how rare magic swords were in DS, my character ended up being an elite armored pyromancer by end game just so I could advance. DeS I didn't even wear armor or put any points into health, she was a pure speed magic falchion user. DeS made me feel more badass while being made of glass, DS made me feel like glass even after wearing heavy armor. I don't think I like DS2's teleporting. I use the crap out of it, but I think it hurts the game. I know its the same as DeS's hub world, but it feels like it ruins the fact that DS2 is open world.

#66 Posted by Sword-Demon (6927 posts) -

@Blabadon said:

I'm really happy Dark Souls 2 is living up to the hype for you guys. Good to hear as the first Dark Souls just looks immaculate.

I've only played a few hours of Demon's Souls and Dark Souls, the latter at about three FPS, but like Dark Souls more just by concept. I really like the gameplay of both, but Demon's way of making you start a level over upon death was not too cool with me. Dark Souls ditching that and going with an open world is awesome. Can't wait to play it

Dark Souls handles death pretty much the same way that Demon's Souls does.

You get sent back to the last checkpoint you were at and all of the enemies respawn. The only difference is that Dark Souls has more checkpoints, and they aren't at boss locations.

#67 Posted by fueled-system (6246 posts) -

Hub-Demon Souls

Overall world-Dark Souls

Combat-Too early to judge but Dark Souls between that and Demons Souls

Winner: Dark Souls

#68 Posted by CleanPlayer (9772 posts) -

Nothing beats the OG Demon's Souls!

#69 Edited by Pray_to_me (2793 posts) -

Demon Souls is still the best but between Dark Souls part 2 is much better than the first.

Also TC postin' some epic spoilers. .

#70 Posted by StrongBlackVine (8418 posts) -

Not my kind of game, but I will go with the exclusive. Also Demon Souls II will be better than both Dark Souls.

#71 Posted by hippiesanta (9756 posts) -

Not yet Play DS2 .........

but

Demon's Soul > Dark Soul (Boss Fight and atmosphere)

Dark Soul > Demon's Soul (loading time .... lol)

#72 Posted by ominous_titan (539 posts) -

i liked des better then ds but only marginally hard to pick a favorite, and oh btw @Joedgabe wtf is wrong with you putting spoilers up after game been out 6 fucking days without a filter? i just want to knock your teeth out after reading your post, prick

#73 Edited by Alcapello (654 posts) -

Demons Souls <= Dark Souls >< DS2

Will still play all 3.

#74 Posted by CTR360 (6923 posts) -

1 dark souls 2 2 dark souls 3 demons souls

#75 Edited by XboxDone74 (2047 posts) -

@Gue1: right. not because it you know did some things better than Dark Souls did.

Demon Souls was also a game of the Year winner

if you haven't played both then you don't have the knowledge to compare the two

#76 Posted by bfmv2007 (279 posts) -

I'm playing through the original Dark Souls now, and I've got to say, I believe I like Demons Souls a little better. I like the atmosphere in Demons Souls way better than Dark Souls.

#77 Posted by X_CAPCOM_X (6023 posts) -

Not my kind of game, but I will go with the exclusive. Also Demon Souls II will be better than both Dark Souls.

Yes I saw the Demon's Souls 2 PS4 rumors and I am very excited. From Software, DO IT.

#78 Posted by AmazonTreeBoa (16744 posts) -

Demon's Souls sucked, so I never bother with the series pass that.

#79 Posted by XboxDone74 (2047 posts) -
#80 Edited by Omega-316 (757 posts) -

Dark souls 2 because it has dedicated servers. The pvp in the other 2 sucks. And dark souls has better lore then demons souls, and the connected world is way more better then demons souls level based system. I think anyone who thinks demons is better are just ps3 fanboys. Ya demons had better atmosphere then dark souls, but ds2 beats them both.

#81 Posted by Omega-316 (757 posts) -

Also ppl are basing their opinions on nostalgia. To see which is better is to imagine you got all 3 games all at once and you play all three for the first time. You will instantly feel that ds2 is superior. One glance at mujula alone and you will never touch the other 2 again.

Yes demons souls was special because it was like nothing we ever played before. It was ground breaking. Its not fair to expect the sequel to also be ground breaking. Its simply improvements. Thats all a sequel should be. Anything else and you changed the game too much.

#82 Posted by DocSanchez (1480 posts) -

Loving Dark Souls 2 more than the previous one and perhaps even Demon's Souls. Demon's Souls had more impact but in the cold light of day I prefer DS2 so far.

#83 Posted by AmazonTreeBoa (16744 posts) -

@AmazonTreeBoa: somebody got owned, by demons souls.

The game sucked. How that translated to getting owned in that little head of your is beyond me. I never understood everybody talking about how hard it was. It was easy once I got my barbarian his armor. Just a boring game. Seems you are just upset somebody doesn't like a game you like. It's okay kid, you will get over it.

#84 Posted by Couth_ (9973 posts) -

We gonna sit here and act like champ has the willpower to wait

Dark Souls 2 is evoking some serious feels... It's like playing a Souls game for the first time.. and I don't mean it's like playing Dark Souls 2 for the first time, it's like playing any of them for the first time again.. This game is goat

#85 Posted by edwardecl (1950 posts) -

Dark Souls II is the best yet, I've played all three. The thing that grabs me with Dark Souls II is the level design, you can see more work was put into it even if some things have been rehashed it's just a better looking game and play almost exactly the same to the previous two games.

The only thing I will say though is the next game they make needs to be a bit different. The character leveling up starting getting a bit tedious as well, after you get enough stats to wield the weapon, shield and armour you want then you just start chucking points in random places would be nice to have some sort of skill/attribute/perk tree instead or in addition to.

I would also like to see some of the dark souls locations in their non ruined states before it went fucked up. Maybe more bosses that can talk or at least react more to their situation would even be funny if one of them tried to run away if you nearly beat them just something a bit different and unexpected, although the pursuer showing up before the boss room was funny.

#86 Edited by SexyJazzCat (883 posts) -

Well im around SL50 and about 15 hours in in DS2. I'm liking it so far. A shit ton of bosses and I feel like Im only half way through the game. It stupid fucking hard in the beginning when you don't have a good weapon. Way harder than anything you will encounter in Dark or Demon Souls. Though objectively speaking Dark Souls is the best. The world actually feels alive in this game. The lore is so diverse and creative. That helped make the bosses feel even better and more memorable than the ones in DS2 and DeS. Des was good for setting down the foundation for what made the Souls games so good, but ultimately the Dark series trumps it. Level design, story, and bosses. All better on Dark than Demon.

#87 Posted by XboxDone74 (2047 posts) -

@xboxdone74 said:

The game sucked. How that translated to getting owned in that little head of your is beyond me. I never understood everybody talking about how hard it was. It was easy once I got my barbarian his armor. Just a boring game. Seems you are just upset somebody doesn't like a game you like. It's okay kid, you will get over it.

Won game of the year. Just because a game makes you butthurt, don't blame the game. Blame your ass skills.

#88 Edited by Some-Mist (5630 posts) -

The only thing I will say though is the next game they make needs to be a bit different. The character leveling up starting getting a bit tedious as well, after you get enough stats to wield the weapon, shield and armour you want then you just start chucking points in random places would be nice to have some sort of skill/attribute/perk tree instead or in addition to.

you just level the modifier that scales with the weapon you like using... after I met the requirements for my equipment... I started chucking points into dexterity since I have multiple weapons class A dexterity.

#89 Posted by Some-Mist (5630 posts) -

Its not fair to expect the sequel to also be ground breaking. Its simply improvements. Thats all a sequel should be. Anything else and you changed the game too much.

hell, the game wasn't groundbreaking when compared to kings quest, but it was definitely more refined. It did have some innovative quirks tho...

my absolute favorite part was invading someone else's world as a boss. I never experienced that in any game... ever. it remains the one thing that blew me away from the entire series. dark souls and dark souls 2 didn't have anything like that... in fact, the online system was downgraded to a p2p based system which made the whole online experience a bit less enjoyable.

#90 Posted by AmazonTreeBoa (16744 posts) -

@AmazonTreeBoa said:

@xboxdone74 said:

Won game of the year. Just because a game makes you butthurt, don't blame the game. Blame your ass skills.

You poor kid. You can't seem to get out of that childish SW mentality. Our conversation is now over kid. Maybe one day your reading comprehension and reasoning will improve enough for us to have an actual conversion instead of you constantly posting childish replies.

#91 Posted by seanmcloughlin (38204 posts) -

-The level design is flat out more consistent. Yes the world isn't as connected as Dark Souls is, but it has tighter gameplay segments for it as well. Plus nothing as straight up lazy as fucking Demon Ruins and Lost Izalith

Demon's falls down massively though on overall design. Especially the levelling system. Having to go back to the nexus every single time you wanted to level up or reset the enemies in an area was dumb and tedious. Souls games have a LOT of rinse/repeat gameplay as well as farming enemies for items or souls to level up. Having to go back to the start of a level to warp to the nexus just to reset enemies and go back to farm them to then go back to the nexus and level up is annoying as hell. Especially with long ass PS3 loading times

Demon's has far more atmosphere though but I liked the interconnected areas of DS1 more. Probably because I played it before Demon's

I will say the hollow stuff was better but a bit TOO cruel in Demon's. Losing an auto half of your health is just sadistic. DS2 deals with it much better, each death whittle down your health until you die enough times and it stays at half. It's the best of both really

Sadly DS2 relies on that whole "you have to go here to level up" stuff again

World tendencies I never understood or used so I can't comment on them

#92 Posted by pyro1245 (413 posts) -

Well when I think about it they all end up equal. Like the world tendencies of Demon's Souls, the open world of Dark Souls. I guess I'll vote for Dark Souls 2 because I haven't beaten it yet and there is still much to explore.

#93 Posted by uninspiredcup (7530 posts) -

Sadly, Demon Souls is a very poor looking game that doesn't really qualify as a PS3 title. The abysmal frame rate and loading times also detract from the experience. A prime example of a title lowered in quality by hardware.

#94 Posted by Assassin_87 (2296 posts) -

Demon's Souls wins by far in my book, and for a few reasons:

• The Old Monk boss fight was a cool experience.
  • The game was much less forgiving than the other two in the series. As an example, archstones only being in boss areas or at the starting point of one of the worlds made it maddeningly frustrating if you died at any point. However, this also increased the feeling of accomplishment when you finally did finish a segment of the game.
  • The atmosphere in DeS is far superior to that of the other two. It felt much darker, and much more hopeless.
  • The minimalist nature of the storytelling and the drip feeding of lore throughout the game appeals to me greatly.
  • It was the first Souls game, and also the first I played (I played it upon release) so I am undoubtedly biased there.
#95 Posted by Sword-Demon (6927 posts) -

@Sword-Demon said:

@tonitorsi said:

@Sword-Demon said:

I'm about halfway through Dark Souls 2 and I love it, but Demon's Souls is still my favorite.

Definitely

If you still have me and got a Mic, I'll cook up a co-op section and get us some royal DkSII pve/pvp going as soon as I get my hands on a copy.

Yeah, I've got you. Let me know when you get it.

#96 Edited by Couth_ (9973 posts) -

@seanmcloughlin said:

Demon's has far more atmosphere though but I liked the interconnected areas of DS1 more. Probably because I played it before Demon's

That feel when you open up a shortcut and end up back at the shrine.. That world was really impressive... Pretty sure the nexus from Demon's Souls was just laziness as well. It's not a game breaker at all but it's definitely better to connect them

#97 Edited by whiskeystrike (12068 posts) -
@seanmcloughlin said:
@jg4xchamp said:

I will say the hollow stuff was better but a bit TOO cruel in Demon's. Losing an auto half of your health is just sadistic. DS2 deals with it much better, each death whittle down your health until you die enough times and it stays at half. It's the best of both really

You do less damage in body form and deal more damage in soul form in Demon's though (something like 30%, not sure of the actual percentage). Most vets choose to stay in soul form for that reason. Soon as they clear an area they'll suicide in the nexus and go back into the next area.

And regarding world tendencies:

White world tendency = less souls, easier enemies, enemies drop more healing items. You get +1 world tendency by being summoned as a blue phantom or killing a boss.

Black world tendency = more souls, harder enemies, enemies drop more crafting items. You get -1 world tendency by dying in body form, killing NPCs or invading.

#98 Posted by Some-Mist (5630 posts) -

Sadly, Demon Souls is a very poor looking game that doesn't really qualify as a PS3 title. The abysmal frame rate and loading times also detract from the experience. A prime example of a title lowered in quality by hardware.

I don't think any of that matters - it definitely didn't matter to all the sources that labeled it GOTY at least.

#99 Posted by TheGuardian03 (21419 posts) -

The limited enemy respawn in DS2 is an issue for me, i think they should at least release a patch to give players the option to turn it off.

#100 Edited by tonitorsi (8271 posts) -

@tonitorsi said:

@Sword-Demon said:

@tonitorsi said:

@Sword-Demon said:

Definitely

Yeah, I've got you. Let me know when you get it.

You got it mayne